Sleep

Remove this Banner Ad

Due to a medical condition that causes me to go to the toilet at night, I reckon I've woken once or twice per night for the last 7 years at least. Not sure what long term damage this will do, but I'm pretty tired most of the time, as it often takes me some time to fall back asleep and it breaks my cycle.

I also absolutely don't help myself because I will often check my phone or go and get some food/drink in the middle of the night when I wake too.

I have found the biggest determinant of how I fell on the day though is how you wake, if it's of your bodies on accord, you are fine. If it's in the middle of a cycle and suddenly roused by a buzzing alarm that startles you, and I'm tired for hours in the morning and don't feel fresh. I genuinely believe alarm clocks are not healthy at all for us, but unfortunately with most people's employment hours they are a necessary evil.

How sure are you about the medical condition that causes you to go to the toilet at night?

"Nocturia" is a common side affect of sleep apnea. When sleep apnea is treated, there are people who go from three or four toilet visits per night down to one every few weeks.

Not denying you may have another condition but it is an interesting side note.

How sure are you about the medical condition that causes you to go to the toilet at night?

"Nocturia" is a common side affect of sleep apnea. When sleep apnea is treated, there are people who go from three or four toilet visits per night down to one every few weeks.

Not denying you may have another condition but it is an interesting side note.
Definitely sure in my case, was due to a prior surgery.

so I got myself some Valerian Forte. has actually been more effective than I anticipated. For the last week and a half ive taken it before bed & made sure I haven't had any caffeine after 4 and noticed some improvements. I feel like I have more of an uninterrupted sleep since ive started with it, I will only wake up once. so far so good, id recommend it for sure. The stuff smells really bad though I have to admit.

Woke up early but went to bed early. Still had about 8 hours sleep though, can't complain with that!

Yep. Asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

But mostly once Im up Im up. Even really early.

I still get through the day ok but not as good as if i have 7-8 hrs.

I think i average 5-6 at best.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Watch how much caffeine intake you have as well as when you have it.

Manage your stress levels

Stay away from emails and smart phones, lap tops etc a fair while before bed. You want to be nice and relaxed a few hours before bed. Unwind, then go to sleep.

Lead a well balanced life style including exercise and diet. Your sleep duration will improve:thumbsu:

If all else fails watch Geelong games in the 2nd half of 2019. That will bore the s**t out of you and make you doze off asap.

Yeah i can definately work on that.

I do arvo shift. Get home around midnight, have a shower and a cup of tea.

I need to stay off my phone in that time I reckon.

Just wind down fir an hour

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
More mate. It takes time to wind down You can't just have a day of high stress for example, or hours, then wind down fast.

Don't waste time on stuff that isn't good for you. Timing is key. Know when to, and when not to. By doing stuff at the right time it will be beneficial for you and you will be far more productive and healthier for it.

edited - if you have a one hour window when you come home and unwind, then yeah stay off your phone. Full switch off mode is the key.

Breathing exercises are good before bed too. I dedicate about 20 minutes every night and have had noticeable improvements.

Wim Hof breathing is great but requires a bit of practice, that takes a good 10 minutes or so once you've mastered it. 4-8 and/or 4-7-8 are easier and work well with Sleep music playlists on Spotify.

I have Nocturia and OCD in the sense I can't sleep without an empty bladder. That's my biggest enemy at present. I almost never go a whole night without getting up.

In Qld I go to sleep about 10ish wake up between 5,30 and 6
Went to Melb went to bed at 10 and woke up at 8 most mornings
Back in Qld back to 10 to 5.30 and 6

Breathing exercises are good before bed too. I dedicate about 20 minutes every night and have had noticeable improvements.

Wim Hof breathing is great but requires a bit of practice, that takes a good 10 minutes or so once you've mastered it. 4-8 and/or 4-7-8 are easier and work well with Sleep music playlists on Spotify.

I have Nocturia and OCD in the sense I can't sleep without an empty bladder. That's my biggest enemy at present. I almost never go a whole night without getting up.
Good ideas. I might try some more focussed breathing work. Also contemplating the old "stare at a candle" mindfulness popular with Indians.

Had a great one, and an even better coffee to go with it.

Love it. A great Australia day it shall be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stay up because it gives me more free time after work. Otherwise life would be, breakfast, work, get home, stress over work, dinner, read, bed..

If you stay up until 2am, you can read more, play a video game for a while, etc.

Why is the 40 hour week 5 days a week still a thing again?

Ever stayed up all night just to get the feeling of an extra day off?
I nearly stayed up all night knowing I had a big meeting at work the next day, even went to the gym at 230am. Managed to get through the next day and slept extremely well the next night, but then thought is that what I need to do to get a good sleep?!

I nearly stayed up all night knowing I had a big meeting at work the next day, even went to the gym at 230am. Managed to get through the next day and slept extremely well the next night, but then thought is that what I need to do to get a good sleep?!
sometimes. There could be one or several more factors which contribute to poor sleep. I'll come back on here after and will provide more in depth analysis.

for now

caffeine
stress levels ( This one is huge )
over stimulated
not enough stimulated
( Balance ^^^^ )
anxiety
diet
not enough or too much productivity which goes together with stimulation
trauma

Will delve even further afterwards busy atm bud.

Have not got any more than 3 hours sleep a day this week.
Still functioning but maybe I need a 12 hour sleep next.
Do not know if that is good or bad but is what it is this week.
This is what I have learned to also be a good mindset. It's not good nor healthy for such a pattern/occurrence. But the acceptance and not over focusing on it is a good thing as it will end up alright in the end. I've adopted the same mentality these days in that I might have a bad nights sleep or two but I will get back to good sleep pretty fast and it all ends well.

And it has.

dwelling and over focusing on it leads to more anxiety, negativity which feeds itself and the worrying worsens.

More and higher stress levels = more problems.

Woke up after a 5 hour sleep. Thought that was it my day was going to start in the early hours of the morning. Had a small bite to eat and composed myself and tuned into a movie called Mississippi Grind. I ******* love it. Starring Ryan Reynolds and the Aussie Actor who's in a new series on Fox with that dick Jason Bateman. Really enjoyed the movie and watching it the 2nd or 3rd time around saw more into it and loved it even more. The old school American Jazz music, Awesome:) Managed to get a few more hours sleep after it too and something good came out of it ( see this is a movie review post now )

and on that clip a new movie soon to be released starring Harrison Ford looks pretty cool too. He's stranded in the Alaska wilderness or something.

This is what I have learned to also be a good mindset. It's not good nor healthy for such a pattern/occurrence. But the acceptance and not over focusing on it is a good thing as it will end up alright in the end. I've adopted the same mentality these days in that I might have a bad nights sleep or two but I will get back to good sleep pretty fast and it all ends well.

And it has.
shocker yesterday. well kinda enough hours sleep though woke up at a weird time, like today. Said * it, it is what it is and then i fell back asleep even after having a strong coffee. Woke up fresh as a daisy and felt a million dollars and the day's been brilliant.

Thank God.

I usually sleep pretty well. When I have trouble, I listen to the BBC shipping forecast - it’s quite soothing:

I can see why, that's great white noise. Not sure how I'd go having that for a job though as it doesn't sound like it would give the broadcaster much satisfaction reading the weather to mariners all day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back