Sleep

Remove this Banner Ad

Really struggling with my sleep atm. Go to sleep easily enough- about midnight, no later- but then am wide awake by 4 or 5am. I need more sleep than this.

anyone tried the 4-7-8 breathing method? i read about it last week but havent tried it yet

I tried it a couple times, did s**t all for me.

Really struggling with my sleep atm. Go to sleep easily enough- about midnight, no later- but then am wide awake by 4 or 5am. I need more sleep than this.

I tried it a couple times, did sh*t all for me.
I'm struggling too, but for different reasons, my mind buzzez and I can't fall asleep, then when I do its often broken sleep where I wake regularly and have the same problem.

I'm struggling too, but for different reasons, my mind buzzez and I can't fall asleep, then when I do its often broken sleep where I wake regularly and have the same problem.
Broken sleep is the worst. Suppose i should be at least happy with 5 hours of solid sleep.

I tried it a couple times, did sh*t all for me.

If I sleep at 7-9 I wake up by 1 and I'm fully awake but by 10am.im.tired. you probably need to sleep at 1am though this can make you very tired once you wake Up. I find exercising when I'm tired or when I just wake up helps me to stay awake.

caffeine intake - How much and when is your last of it?
what you eat
what you do and when you do it
Stress levels, must be lowered a fair while before bed time. Must be kept low anyway, which Goes with the above. which also leads to........

over stimulation. Smart phones, stay off them and the internet a fair while before bed time ( again )

Cortisol, read up on this as well as blood sugar levels.

Blanced diet, and life style in general.

Below average sleeper.

I'm an introvert who likes my space, so separate bed, and also very sensitive to noise. A series of night shifts was always like an insomniac adventure. I've called cops on neighbours who regularly blare tunes at max volume at like 2am or something.

There are times when I am more uptight about it, and other times when I'm not. When you want to be running on full cylinders (for work performance or some other intellectual pursuit), then a series of 6-or-less hour toss-n-turn sleeps can be aggravating. Other times I'm more chill about it, or tend to exercise/errands/cleaning/gardening type stuff on more tired days, like making the most of a write-off (brain as 'flat as a tack'). You might also be more chill & folksy with company. A majority of my job interviews have been done on no sleep (subconscious stress, not actually thinking about it), sometimes you kill it and other times it really shows.

After my brother died I woke up at 3am-ish for about 2.5 years. Started doing exercise or taking the dog for a walk, or being at work (flexible hours) when the doors opened. Also rather than lying in bed awake it can be good to just get up for 2 hours, watch a midnight movie, eat a midnight snack of drowse-inducing porridge, then actually sleep when you return to bed. Ever since my sleep normalised again I've become more of a nocturnal beast by nature, I find darkness calming and clearing of the mind, meditative, less stimulation overload. The world is asleep and I love that.

I think things like eating, drinking and sleeping can also subconsciously play into self-harm a bit. I've found that in more depressed or reckless times in my life that idgaf and knowingly tend to have scant sleep, binge bad foods, etc. Being a known insomniac/sleep neurotic and skinny person with a fast metabolism means you can hide these self-harm habits from detection when they do arise. Those are times when you feel like your victim body should take vengeance and spite you with a tumour or something.

On fluids: I never have a coffee after like mid-afternoon, and give my body 90 mins to pass fluids before going to bed. I'm not one of those people who wants to wake up in the middle of the night to use the toilet, prefer to go to bed and not have to use the toilet until morning. If I have a cup of water, I'll wait at least an hour before using the toilet then sleeping. At the same time, i'll have a very small sip before going to bed so that my mouth isn't dry, sort of tricking the body a little but not enough to alert the bladder. Same with alcohol, chase it with water before getting ready for bed (if you can help it and aren't passed out).

Last edited:

I'm the same, one thing that helps is to actually do something rather than just tossing and turning. Especially when you know you are fighting a losing battle.

I'd also consider going to bed earlier, so the above is happening a 3am, rather than 5am.

recently been taking melatonin to help fall asleep. Actually works pretty effectively, recommend for anyone that struggles to fall asleep. I take it during the week and then lay off on the weekends so i dont get too tolerant towards it.

recently been taking melatonin to help fall asleep. Actually works pretty effectively, recommend for anyone that struggles to fall asleep. I take it during the week and then lay off on the weekends so i dont get too tolerant towards it.

If you like Ricky Gervais, his old podcasts (and xfm radio shows) with Karl Pilkington and Steve Merchant are dynamite to relax and fall asleep to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ironic I've come across this thread.Up at 3 last 2 days. No sign of sleep now. Generally am OK about 1 off I can rest but getting and be fine but getting to a habit. Shouldn't have my phone round bit need the alarm.

Yeah when you get into a habit of waking up at the same time, its so hard to break.

I srsly wanna ******* kill that ******* rooster
Lol what a rooster? Or do you live near a farm or outer burbs? You should kill it. Chicken is good for sleep.
Just make sure you clean it well. Don't want to start another pandemic

Not too bad at sleeping, I've been doing it all my life :tearsofjoy:

Nah but seriously though, I sleep alright. I do get vivid dreams though always. They always seem real. It's never anything scary thankfully but I wake up in a daze and rant to the misses while I'm still asleep about whatever I'm dreaming about (Which can be real awkward when it's the dirty ones)

Last week I apparently woke up and spent a good five minutes talking to her about bread and how I want to quit my job as a baker.
Which makes sense, cos I had a dream I was a piss poor baker. I'd cook bread to order, as in somebody would come in and I'd start baking. So it felt like I spent a good 5 hours just sitting in a bakery as people shouted at me to make their bread faster.

Since taking melatonin my sleep has improved so much. In the past it would take me hours to fall asleep, thoughts would just keep me awake. Now I’m asleep within 5 minutes.
I’d recommend it. The only problem is going to be trying to sleep without it now and becoming reliant on it

I used to be a very good sleeper, now not as good anymore. I also take my meds tecfidera daily and not sure I can take melatonin for example. Will discuss that with my therapist next time. Except the fact that you get addicted from melatonin are the some other side effects?

Last edited:
I got diagnosed with sleep apnea about 12 years ago. I use CPAP but also take a medication for Restless Leg Syndrome which is a part of the sleep apnea. Fortunately the medication makes me very tired 45 minutes after taking it, so I generally sleep very well (I'm lucky the drowsiness wears off after about 8 hours).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back