Sleep

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm finding otc natural sleeping tablets, and vigorous daily exercise, make me so tired that I don't go into that evening panicked overvthinking cycle. I wonder if there are other alternatives I'm not really happy depending on a daily tablet to sleep forever.

Have been a chronic insomniac, have stumbled upon REM sleep patches. Harmless, non-addictive, daily applications. 10 days into a 30 day cycle, so far so good.
I think sleep hygiene and habits are critical. Eating too late at night/finishing work too late has been my killer.

A porridge late night snack has helped me during insomniac times

Just trying to be ambivalent about it, putting it out of mind and not playing its mental games. There are also periods in your life when insomnia will come back, just being cool with that, getting into 4am exercise/dogwalks and those random old late night movies.

Maybe a noise like a fan going, that can help hush some dawn noise and also keep you cooler

I often have ABC Jazz playing as I'm getting ready for bed (on tv that's Ch.201 and ABC 23 after reg. programming), it's typically music I like and chills me out

and having plans for tired days, like making that an errands day, gardening day, exercise day, maybe go to work early and leave early, etc. Your mental may not be 100% and might feel a tad seedy but there are still life things you can do that you might be less willing to do when mentally alert. Likewise, an affinity for the night, if you tend to have insomnia then finding the good things in the quieter dark hours

Last edited:
Have gone multiple nights without sleep during insomniac spells. Melatonin did SFA for me, exercise doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. It just kind of happens

Tired all day then at 11pm enough energy to power the sun. Barely doze off then alarm goes off and repeat. Next time it happens I might try a midnight run or something. Tempted to try weed for sleep. Does this actually produce a good nights sleep or just pass out? Bit of difference though either better than nothing I guess

Have gone multiple nights without sleep during insomniac spells. Melatonin did SFA for me, exercise doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. It just kind of happens

Tired all day then at 11pm enough energy to power the sun. Barely doze off then alarm goes off and repeat. Next time it happens I might try a midnight run or something. Tempted to try weed for sleep. Does this actually produce a good nights sleep or just pass out? Bit of difference though either better than nothing I guess
I find weed significantly reduces the time taken to fall asleep but the actual quality of sleep is shouse. The morning is groggy and you rarely dream which I think has something to do with it.

I found melatonin to be pretty similar, while not as effective as inducing sleep I wake up with a similar grogginess. Melatonin is still probably the most useful supplement from my experience.
Have tried Valerian Forte but personally didn't really do anything.
Sounds pretty boring but watching an old black and white movie can help induce sleep, other than that I'd stay away from any sleeping pills like benzos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find weed significantly reduces the time taken to fall asleep but the actual quality of sleep is shouse. The morning is groggy and you rarely dream which I think has something to do with it.

I found melatonin to be pretty similar, while not as effective as inducing sleep I wake up with a similar grogginess. Melatonin is still probably the most useful supplement from my experience.
Have tried Valerian Forte but personally didn't really do anything.
Sounds pretty boring but watching an old black and white movie can help induce sleep, other than that I'd stay away from any sleeping pills like benzos.
Yeah i was offered proper sleeping pills but declined. Dont want to be relying on them tbh

Has to be something available though surely

I used to be a terrible sleeper, it's really only the last couple of years I've been able to sleep more effectively.
I found when putting my daughter to bed if I'm tired I'd often drift off while I was telling her a story, and I'd get weird visuals just before falling asleep (only noticed when I was telling a story and as I fell asleep I'd start describing the visuals). I just try to wait for any weird thoughts/images and follow that which puts me to sleep. It's more potent than any sleeping pills I've tried, herbal remedies, meditation apps, etc.

I'm currently going through my worst bout of insomnia in my life.

It's been 10 days of pure hell. I went away on a trip away with friends, partied hard and since then I haven't been able to sleep without the aid of serious sleeping tablets. Currently operating of a few hours a night. Feel like walking death.

Everytime I drift off my brain wakes me up. Been happening for nearly 2 weeks now. Hardest thing I've gone through. Zolpidem tablets put me to sleep for a few hours but then I'm awake for the rest of the night.

Wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy.

I feel your pain brother. Reading this forum has been such a help. I have had issues for years and it is getting worse.
My day goes something like this...

Get up 0430 and walk dog - 1 hour
Get to work 0700
Finish work 1530
Start gym 1530 - 2 hours
Dinner
Walk dog - 30 mins
bed 2100 - asleep 2105
Awake 1230 - 0100
Remain awake until 15 minutes before alarm - 0430

Rinse and repeat for the last four weeks.

I feel I may kill someone soon.

I'm currently going through my worst bout of insomnia in my life.

It's been 10 days of pure hell. I went away on a trip away with friends, partied hard and since then I haven't been able to sleep without the aid of serious sleeping tablets. Currently operating of a few hours a night. Feel like walking death.

Everytime I drift off my brain wakes me up. Been happening for nearly 2 weeks now. Hardest thing I've gone through. Zolpidem tablets put me to sleep for a few hours but then I'm awake for the rest of the night.

Wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy.

Thought I'd provide an update. Best thing I did was get OFF the sleeping pills. Some nights I sleep well and some nights I don't, but falling asleep naturally is so much nicer than a 2-3 hour sleeping pill sleep and waking up wired.

I'm on 15mg mirtazapine (anti depressant commonly used to assist people with insomnia) to help me at the moment. I never thought in my life I would require AD but here we are and I'm not ashamed of it. Some nights it works and some nights it doesn't. Life is a bit of a rollercoaster right now as the lack of sleep has caused anxiety and a little depression (coupled with a sudden break up with a short-term girlfriend hasn't helped things at all). Although I'm not back to my old, happy self and may not be for a while, I'm staying much more positive and most importantly RELAXED at night.

I take valerian root tablets if i have trouble sleeping! Works well for me. Used it as a kid growing up.
Being a person with autism i kind of need it.
To the OP please seek your GP's advice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back