So what's actually changed?

Remove this Banner Ad

People have mentioned the defense which I think is very big part of it.

Teague would often have us catching up big scores, or blowing out - only to the have land slides kicked against us.

A big part of this in my view was that his hard running game required young hard runners - and he just wouldn't play them (Murph, Betts, Newnes etc) - so our players were CONSTANTLY caught out on the rebound.

The number of times I watched opposition streaming into our backline with two, one or even NONE there to stop them was exhausting.

Our structure now has the players back in defense - so we are maybe not ALL pushing up as high. We have the runners to get back and the team spirit to get back.

But the defensive part of the game to me is just as important as inserting some quality mids around the ball.

Team selection has made a big difference.

I now wonder if the issues regarding Dow jogging when in defensive transition are part of his omission??

Ninja Edit

Obriens two tackle / defensive run down moments highlight this - and his inclusion.

1. The first and most obvious one is our desire to clear a stoppage using handball. There are a lot more quick short handballs to move the ball around the stoppage and congestion to someone who can kick with less pressure or who is able to run towards goal uninhibited. This has replaced the Ed Curnow and Mitch Robinson style of hack kick out of congestion that always went to the opposition team. This has allowed us to keep more possession of the ball and not be scored against as easily as we aren't giving the ball back to them all the time.

The direct kicking has been great, the sky ball has been an horrific part of Carltons game since pre-Ratten.

However I am dirty on Setterfield as he is still doing it - just slams it on the boot and its a terrible kick as the modern game is all about rebound footy - so this is just handing it to the opposition.

I feel Setters can't "absorb pressure" - to use a modern term. He feels he must get rid of it before he really needs to, maybe out of fear of getting caught and repercussions but its a clear lack of tacking on the opposition - hack kicks it. Ed at least does it with blokes hanging off his lip.

Great write up though - brought some real clarity.

Finally I think we are really playing incredibly DIRECT footy. Last 3 coaches have all played down the boundary - the entire time. We barely do it now days almost always looking for the angle back in, switch, guts.

Still hitting the front right pocket a lot - but so much more direct.

Forward patterns are also better - lots of short marks to the pockets.

Sorry one more thing - I hope we can bring in lots of variation - we have an incredible list of talent (5 really capable talls, and as many small forwards now) - we could easily set up a forward line across the half forward line or some really crazy creative stuff.

1. Crippa back to best and his best is THE BEST! 🥇

2. Hewett, what a pick up. So strong and looking like an A grader. :muscle:

3. A fit Charlie. How we missed him .

4. Bam Bam going Bam Bam. :hammer:

5. McGov a revelation down back.

6. Cerra.....Great recruiting, all class.

7. Lob owning his wing, a running machine with that potent left who will get better and better with faith shown in him.

8. Big Pit improving with each game.

9. Dochers back.... How good is that :heart:

10. A fit Saady.....he is a jet. :airplane:

11. Voss and the coaching panel. Looking inspired choices. ( Love seeing Hamill back).

12. TDK another year older , very exciting with so much upside.

13. Game plan, defensive structures and BUY IN , belief/trust in each other and the coaches.

14. Dont want to disrepect any player that pulls on the Navy Blue but there are no more poor/mediocre ones out there.
They have either all retired, traded or are in the VFL.

15. More depth. In years gone by our top trade targets and draft picks like Young and Motlop
would have been straight in instead of having to force their way in through the reserves as it should be at a strong Club.

That is quite a list and add our small forwards working so hard to keep it in, tackle and create.

Harry getting towards his peak .

Walsh has to get better with another year under his belt. (that will be something 😍 )

If Zac Williams and Martin can play consistently at near their best then WOW.

Weiters has not hit top form yet either.

It is a stunning change from last year and as I have said, there is no ceiling. WE CAN BEAT ANYBODY!!!

Last edited:
Whatever they are doing in the leadership program.

Players are all talking about what they can do to be a better team mate. They are staying involved in the game when they don't have the ball and not waiting for someone else to do the hard work. Playing as a team.

1. Crippa back to best and his best is THE BEST! 🥇

2. Hewett, what a pick up. So strong and looking like an A grader. :muscle:

3. A fit Charlie. How we missed him .

4. Bam Bam going Bam Bam. :hammer:

5. McGov a revelation down back.

6. Cerra.....Great recruiting, all class.

7. Lob owning his wing, a running machine with that potent left who will get better and better with faith shown in him.

8. Big Pit improving with each game.

9. Dochers back.... How good is that :heart:

10. A fit Saady.....he is a jet. :airplane:

11. Voss and the coaching panel. Looking inspired choices. ( Love seeing Hamill back).

12. TDK another year older , very exciting with so much upside.

13. Game plan, defensive structures and BUY IN , belief/trust in each other and the coaches.

14. Dont want to disrepect any player that pulls on the Navy Blue but there are no more poor/mediocre ones out there.
They have either all retired, traded or are in the VFL.

15. More depth. In years gone by our top trade targets and draft picks like Young and Motlop
would have been straight in instead of having to force their way in through the reserves as it should be at a strong Club.

That is quite a list and add our small forwards working so hard to keep it in, tackle and create.

Harry getting towards his peak .

Walsh has to get better with another year under his belt. (that will be something 😍 )

If Zac Williams and Martin can play consistently at near their best then WOW.

Weiters has not hit top form yet either.

It is a stunning change from last year and as I have said, there is no ceiling. WE CAN BEAT ANYBODY!!!

The bold is a huge one. He has taken the game by the balls this year and is finally playing like someone we drafted with pick 10. It felt like we’d have three busts in SPS, LOB and Dow on our hands but with Dow’s decent year last year and LOB playing well this year, hopefully the latter two have both turned the corner and we’ve become a club that has hit on the majority of our top 30 picks since 2015. Not to mention Durdin (who is playing well in the seniors) and Carroll (who is rated highly by our supporters).

Whatever they are doing in the leadership program.

Players are all talking about what they can do to be a better team mate. They are staying involved in the game when they don't have the ball and not waiting for someone else to do the hard work. Playing as a team.
say what?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does seriously help having the best captain in the League!

I don't want to say anything about Murph as he was a quality player for so long however he wasn't captain's material. Good captains are a different breed.

Cripps will go down as one of the best players to ever play for Carlton. Said it year 2 and now more confident than ever. Voss is just the most perfect coach for Cripps.

He makes the players walk taller around him. You see him do what he does, the others just lift.

You can tell before the season started, Cripps knew what was coming from him. He continually kept saying "Sick of talking about my body. I want my footy to do the talking"!

There is this aura; this confidence about him that only the greats of the game have.... the type his coach had.

Players have improved due to getting their bodies right or just maturity. There is a long list of them. Silvagni, O'Brien, Williams, Kennedy, McGovern, Docherty, Durdin, Martin, Fisher, Pittonet, Curnow, Owies, Cripps, Setterfield, McDonald (maybe).

Better game plan at at stoppages. Players on the move, hit the ball with momentum, clear it successfully or draw a free as well as getting to the lose ball and opposition quicker. Overlap run going both ways creates fast ball movement, space and puts players in the right position defensively and offensively.

Some recruits having a massive impact. Cerra and Hewett are two good players who have also improved on their previous seasons coming to Carlton.

Stronger standards, we are harder at the contest and run harder defensively and chase and tackle better. Play with more effort. Comes down to better leadership and coaching. Little cultural shift.

Far better structure. On ball structure is good, mix of strength and pace. Defensive structure is far better with a proper third tall defender. Three prong forward line working with Silvagni playing as a proper medium forward and our smalls having an impact. They are proper small forwards not just flashy goal kickers or repurposed mids.

TBH I think one of the major factors is that our luck changed in late 2018, when we dodged a Cannon-Ball sized bullet by having Dylan Sheil poached by Essendon, then (although this wasn't pot luck), the later recruitment of Sam Walsh in the November draft.

We have also dodged another sizable fail with Coniglio, and look to have picked a good recruiter in Austin.

Yes, we've made some good decisions of late, but I think in hindsight, history may show November 2018 as being the turning point in our fortunes.

I forgot to mention our handball game. Gee we used to get slaughtered by intercept marks. We just bang it forward. Because we setup so well and setup to hit the ball on the move we can get a handball out a lot easier. We handball forwards and run past. We have a brilliant handball game but it takes a really good midfield to do that which we have now.

The handball game gets the ball into a player running forward which makes defenders panic, opens up the game and helps us gain more metres. We used to be an interceptors dream and now we are hard to intercept against which allows us to slow the game down and lock the ball in forward and retain possession.

We have better players but we are a lot better coached.

I forgot to mention our handball game. Gee we used to get slaughtered by intercept marks. We just bang it forward. Because we setup so well and setup to hit the ball on the move we can get a handball out a lot easier. We handball forwards and run past. We have a brilliant handball game but it takes a really good midfield to do that which we have now.

The handball game gets the ball into a player running forward which makes defenders panic, opens up the game and helps us gain more metres. We used to be an interceptors dream and now we are hard to intercept against which allows us to slow the game down and lock the ball in forward and retain possession.

We have better players but we are a lot better coached.

I think this is tied to the bang it on boot / box kick views earlier. Last few years we are happy to relieve pressure by a 40m air ball, this year albeit two games in we are trying to find an outlet and a positive pass

I love Ed but tbh his main delivery is the 40m air ball

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The major changes I’ve noticed:

1. We are holding our structures across the ground a lot better. Our wings are keeping the width very well, which opens up the corridor.

2. I love what we are doing with our forward line. One flanker, fisher last week, is pushing up to the contest to be a 5th midfielder. The other flanker is a marking option, sos did this very well against the dogs. Coupled with the wings moving more defensive, using a marking flank on one side and the chf (Charlie, tdk or harry) on the other, we always have a get out option down the lines.

3. Our midfield is being much more defensively accountable. This allows our defensive zone to cover properly. In the past we’ve been caught between a zone and a 1 on 1 defense. With our mids not being accountable sides have been able to use 15m kicks to slice through our defense far to easily.

4. Responsible accountability at the contest and in the air. For far to many years we’ve been prone to overcommitting to pack contests, allowing the ball to come to ground where we have been caught outnumbered time and time again. This is still a work in progress, but we are getting a lot better at committing the correct numbers to the contest, whilst those that don’t go are covering the most dangerous outlets if we don’t win the ball.

5. Tempo football. Our defensive woes in the past were often a cause of the team going to quickly out of the backline, when it worked it looked great, when it didn’t, we were caught dangerously out of position. We are now controlling the ball better, and picking the times to go at pace, or when to control a situation and find the correct out number.

6. Midfield dominance. This has been very obvious. But our midfield has been ruthless. We are either winning or halving almost all center work. This has a huge flow on effect for the rest of the game.

7. Forward line mix is looking right. We have 3 genuine marking options, 3 high pressure players and 2 flex that can mark and pressure. It’s a great mix.

we've pretty much addressed a lot of what was picked up in last years review.

many thanks to sayers first and most of all. he pretty much drove the review and then acted on it nicely and quickly. Brought in good Coaches and Cook.

recruiters did an excellent job to bring in cerra and hewett. theyve made a big difference already.

voss for gelling the playing group together and teaching a game style that most seem to understand.

and lets not forget cripps as an excellent leader of the playing group, driving high standards.

Also what's changed? All other team's opinion on Carlton.

Was reading the Dees Non-Dees related thread on their board and they are glad they're not playing Carlton until Round 22.

They are seeing parallels and whilst they are not scared... they will be keeping an eye.
Ah the mind games. Neither are the dogs. Still trailing after 3n a bit quarters so started nonchalantly kicking behinds. So Charlie kicked a drop punt from the pocket just to be clear they weren't being good sports they were just losing. God bless him.

My impressions

We were two midfielders short and got three and a half. Let's face it, that would fix most sides.

It's also almost unprecedented in the modern era for a single offseason and we should discard historical precedents about what is achievable this year given the state of the rest of the list.

At least two of them know what they're doing, that frees Cripps up to play his preferred role. He's quite good at it, and doesn't need to think about his contract anymore. Some guys just need a long one so they can rehab and play football. Smaller changes appear to have been made to better support him.

Noone really knew the potential of Cerra and George, it's higher than I expect anyone will admit anticipating.

They have clearer understanding of spots and roles and it shows ...it will be interesting to see if all five play this week or if one remains omitted. They seem to like getting 30+ each because we feel like a sports car again and are drawing confidence from it.

Meanwhile Dow became an a grade VFL player quickly because the competition is running this year, he knows there's at least two players ahead of him and two behind him, so he can focus.

Jones has hurt less than expected, but early days. McGovern has a clear role for the first time ever as a consequence and is the most improved player in the league.

Charlie didn't break in the preseason. Dekoning has some real presence now, so astute KP recruitment is finally on the same page.

Pittonet improved which was the Spanish inquisition.

Everyone else is walking taller as a consequence.

The personnel enables a more effective gameplay to be implemented, and one or more of Voss and Hansen know what they're doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back