Social Drugs

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever gains would be made from the increased energy would be severely negated by the drop in skill level. Not to mention the crash that would come afterwards and the damage that could be done to muscle and heart tissue.

Think its more likely to be drank over the course of a race for F1. Sure I saw a doco/tv show on it actually from years ago.

Its not the energy from cocaine that helps, its the focus and reaction time that increases. Could make you absolute dynamite in and around the packs.

Can't see how it would for footy though, unless you were literally racking up/ingesting every time you hit the bench.

As others have stated, coke will increase energy levels for a short period of time (unless you get it from Hong Kong in which case you will keep going for hours) but the loss in attention and skills will more than offset whatever energy benefits you get.

Why Hong Kong? Just curious.

There is no way under the sun that I can believe (going on actual experience) that coke will benefit you as a footballer. I just can't see it personally. However, WADA may look at it from an energy level perspective and put it on their list.

And I do believe the AFL needs to have zero tolerance on this matter during the season. Many other posters have commented on why (image of the game, sponsors, parents etc...) and I agree with them. What happens if players start dropping like flies cause their hearts give out on them due to prolonged use and the AFL effectively sanctioned its use by turning a blind eye?

Forget energy, its reaction time that it would help. It does make you sharper.

Ecstasy - No
Speed - Possibly
Ice - Possibly
Cocaine - Highly likely
Acid/LSD - No
Marijuana - No
Heroin - No

Depends on the sport though hey:

Mariajuna is hugely beneficial for archery, apparently. Weird hey?

Can't ever see Acid making you good at anything, but the Ultimate Warrior and Randy Savage were pretty good wrestlers, and I'm fairly certain they were on acid most of their lives.

Speed - Possibly
Ice - Possibly
Cocaine - Highly likely

I strongly disagree with this...it is simply untrue for Australian Rules footy...no "possibly" or "maybe", it's a simple "no" it does not improve your performance in relation to AFL footy....in each case it would unquestionably have an obvious negative effect on the performance - especially at the elite level where these guys are so finely tuned, you'd find they'd have a heart attack and/or overheat and end up in hospital or dead.

To the best of our knowledge, no afl player has EVER used any of these drugs on match day.

The recent news of the 4 Pies players self reporting is just another in a chain of incidents that are not going to go away. Whether the older generations want to admit it or not, social drugs are almost as ingrained in the under 30s world as alcohol. The problem is not going to go away.

In order to decide how to address it I think one question has to be answered. Are any of the social drugs performance enhancing?

Personally I do not know. From what I have heard of ice, it potentially could have a performance enhancing aspect.

But if the answer broadly is "no they are not performance enhancing" then I think the AFL should probably butt out and let the clubs handle it if it becomes a health issue for any one particular player.

Personally I am not that interested in the legality or otherwise of the drugs. That is just where a legislator chose to draw a line (somewhere between tobacco and cannabis for some reason).

If the answer is "yes, this drug and this drug are performance or recovery enhancing" then players should be subject to the sanctions available under performance enhancing drugs.

lol at the bold comment

24 year old brah here

Depends on the sport though hey:

Mariajuna is hugely beneficial for archery, apparently. Weird hey?

Can't ever see Acid making you good at anything, but the Ultimate Warrior and Randy Savage were pretty good wrestlers, and I'm fairly certain they were on acid most of their lives.

These guys do/did pretty well trippin balls.

tumblr_lzgm6qWcbG1r8zojho1_500.jpg
1200+Micrograms+mlk.jpg

I know it's off season, not much is happening and the media want to keep banging on about this "big issue in footy at the moment" .....but is it really??

Sure, the media are bringing it up every 2 seconds, and sure those who live in the afl bubble need to be as proactive as possible rather than be seen to be dragging their feet (thus avoiding the PR bullshit that comes with someone else taking the moral high ground).

"The Media" isn't bringing it up every 2 seconds. Very senior officials in the game at club and competition level are. The media are simply reporting that.

suprise suprise yet another victorian backflip thread

What happened to the witch hunts, persecution, media massacre, public outcry, sanctions and investigations

Oh wait getting bit close to home now hey

suprise suprise yet another victorian backflip thread

What happened to the witch hunts, persecution, media massacre, public outcry, sanctions and investigations

Oh wait getting bit close to home now hey

Oh wait, yet another parochial paranoid West Coast post ignoring the fact that these are two entirely different situations.

There's no doubt that the way the West Coast drug issues were handled, by the AFL and the media, was appalling.

But thankfully they appear to have learned their lesson?

Or do you want a pound of Victorian flesh in the hope it bring Cuzzy back to football life?

Oh wait, yet another parochial paranoid West Coast post ignoring the fact that these are two entirely different situations.

There's no doubt that the way the West Coast drug issues were handled, by the AFL and the media, was appalling.

But thankfully they appear to have learned their lesson?

Or do you want a pound of Victorian flesh in the hope it bring Cuzzy back to football life?

No just Victorian hypocrisy and double standards are appalling.
Watch how quickly this is swept under the carpet

Ummm, they're holding a drug summit, dude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Illegal drugs are illegal. That's not up to the AFL. And without deterrents then the prevalence will increase.
But that's a law enforcement issue.

The deterrent is the possibility of getting caught by police.

It's got nothing to do with the AFL.

If that is your argument then how would you feel if they drug tested in your workplace. Why do AFL players get tested for illegal drugs and you don't?

I guess it's because there's no sponsorship dollars riding on my image. But I'd be fine with it, if my employer thought drug use was a problem in the workplace.

On it, aren't ecstasy and speed considered performance-enhancing due to increased energy etc?

Every girl I've asked has said it's definitely performance enhancing. :D

No idea about footy though.

"The Media" isn't bringing it up every 2 seconds. Very senior officials in the game at club and competition level are. The media are simply reporting that.

I disagree - as I said, yes, those inside the afl bubble are all over it...but listen to sen for example. There hasn't been a single hour in the last few work days that a whole range of presenters haven't made it their topic of discussion. There hasn't been a senior official making a statement every half hour or so for 3 days has there?

My point remains the same whether it be the officials or the media pumping it up - I personally don't think many fans actually care if some players occasionally use recreational drugs.

Quoted for lols

So murder is fine so long as you don't get caught?

It doesn't surprise me to see that you have completely missed the point.

I'll be around to your house to DNA/piss test and take alibi evidence, from everyone present, for every existing and new murder case that ever occurs. I'll also take any article from you that may resemble any murder weapon under investigation in order to submit it to forensic examination.

Of course, this will all happen in order to fulfill the ultimate goal of making sure that murder never ever happens again.

For ****s sake.:rolleyes:

EDIT

By the way, we're only going to apply this regime to you and you're family because a corporate entity has deemed you to be "role models".

Bad luck if you don't like it.

You do understand that not all Victorians think the same?

I thought you guys got the rough end of the stick on the drug stuff.

Yet at the same time I'd love for it to be revealed The Weapon had been giving the Bombers players some dietary enhancement with a microscopic amount of some subtance that's banned by WAFA so the AFL is technically obliged to ban them all.

I disagree - as I said, yes, those inside the afl bubble are all over it...but listen to sen for example. There hasn't been a single hour in the last few work days that a whole range of presenters haven't made it their topic of discussion. There hasn't been a senior official making a statement every half hour or so for 3 days has there?

My point remains the same whether it be the officials or the media pumping it up - I personally don't think many fans actually care if some players occasionally use recreational drugs.

I agree on your final point.

But you can't say this is a media driven beat up - which the Cuzzy witch hunt was - because drugs have only come back on the agenda of late because of a very suspiciously co-ordinated campaign between Gary Pert and the AFL.

It's quite simple.

Draw up player contracts with heavy penalties for any social drug infringements.

First time offenders lose 50% of their yearly player payments.

Second time offenders lose 75 % of their yearly payments.

Third time offenders get de-registered from the league and contract terminated.

So if you want the money you abide by the clubs rules. If you can't or don't want to there's no place in the AFL for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back