Society and Culture BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

Both the AFL and ARU have today issued statements in support of the Indigenous Voice.

The ARU one is utterly brilliant imho because it is not jingoistic but full of detail and speaks to the heart of the rhetorical question that always arises when sporting codes and clubs like ours dare to talk about Indigenous issues:

'what business does a sporting body have making political statements?'

FwXrhfRaYAAcVmj
some boomer heads are going to explode if they read that ARU statement

From all the stuff handy has said it's not so bad, but it's about stereotyping a group of people based on their race, even if the trait is positive. It's like saying we should hire an Asian to look after our finances because they're good at maths.

Just a weird thing to say.
And a weird thing to get upset about.

Its more that its being used in the selection criteria. I don't think its racist, just hilarious. If you want a super athletic tall American then just say that - why would you ever go searching for a football player based on skin colour?

On that note I wonder if there is anybody in the AFL with a basketball background? Maybe someone at Collingwood?
No, I specifically want a black player because;
White Men Can't Jump (1992) - IMDb

Australia's handful of Aboriginal cricketers need a lesson in history. Scott Boland has supported Ashleigh Gardner's view in opposing the playing of cricket on Australia Day. Gardner has come out saying, 'I just do not understand why this one day of the year- which is a day of mourning, which doesn't have a very good history of what happened on that day , that there needs to be cricket.'

The fact is if what happened on that day had not happened we would probably not have had cricket to play. January 26th 1788 marks the beginning of Britsh colonisation in Australia and one of the greatest legacies of that colonisation is the very English game of cricket. Australia was always going to be colonised and if it had been by the French or the Dutch Ashleigh Gardner would probably not have any cricket play. Like most of the Aboriginal activists Gardner rails against colonialism yet she is quite happy to pick the bits she likes out of the colonial legacy. Gardner uses an Anglicised name, lives in a modern society born out of colonialsim with all it's creature comforts yet she s**t cans my English and European heritage at every opportunity. The fact is Australia was always going to be colonised and without colonalisation most of us, including Gardner and Boland, would not be here.

I respect Ash Gardner and Scott Boland's right to express their views but if they do not like playing on Australia Day, as is their right in a free society, let them make a stand and don't play and let the rest of us get on with it.
BLOODY WELL SAID

You have no idea. What I am saying is that we have people who profit from the colonial past criticising the colonial past. To me that is pretty hypocritical. What do you expect the descendents of European immigrants to do? Get on a boat, sail away and leave those with Aboriginal blood in their veins to carry on from where their forebears left of in January 1788? So we do not play cricket on Australia day what does that prove and how does that help an Aboriginal population many of who are being terrorised by their own people? Gardner and Boland would probably achieve more if they went to the remote communities and Alice Springs and provided role models for Those people who are terrorising the population.

Australia Day marks the start of the society in which you live and take for granted. That fact that you can only reply with obscenities and personal abuse and not contribute to the debate in a meaningful way shows the level of your intelligence.

Don't bother to reply to this post as I will not be able to read it. You are entitled to an opinion and I will debate any issue with anyone but when the exchange descends to personal abuse I reserve the right to walk away.

In the meantime some reading for you-

Or you take your objections to Ash Garner and Schott Boland directly. That way you can gain a better understanding into their insights.

I've never understood why the "Australia would have been colonised either way" proponents don't apply that to other things.

Like why is Harvey Weinstein in jail for example? Surely someone else would have sexually assaulted those women if he hadn't, given the state of Hollywood, so using that logic he's done nothing wrong.

Where is the line for accountability?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never understood why the "Australia would have been colonised either way" proponents don't apply that to other things.

Like why is Harvey Weinstein in jail for example? Surely someone else would have sexually assaulted those women if he hadn't, given the state of Hollywood, so using that logic he's done nothing wrong.

The more interesting one is what sort of country would it be if it hadn't been colonised? Look at any map showing corruption by country or how democratic they are and outside Europe and North America, with the exception of Japan and South Korea who are heavily linked to them and the odds are it'd be a highly corrupt, undemocratic country that has a handful of rich, that kill, imprison or suppress anyone who threatens their rule. Especially given how resource rich Australia is. Outside 'The West', it's almost universal resource rich countries are amongst the most corrupt and undemocratic. Does this give Australian history a pass mark? Certainly not, but odds are the country would be as bad, if not worse, for many indigenous 'whatever land it was called' if it hadn't been colonised. That doesn't change more still needs to be done, but putting out some sort of 'Noble enlightened country' would be here if it hadn't been doesn't help.

Are you suggesting there's been no accountability for colonisation?
I'd say we're in full swing of doing the best we can to make amends.
We can't change the past but we can change the future.

Are you suggesting there's been no accountability for colonisation?
I'd say we're in full swing of doing the best we can to make amends.
We can't change the past but we can change the future.
Nah not at all - was replying to the post that was quoted suggesting that you can't criticise colonisation by England because if it hadn't been England invading then it would have been the Dutch or someone else. I've just never understood that viewpoint unless its applied equally to all other crimes as well.

10 Australian companies have embraced the 4-day week. Here's what they say about it

Just farkin do it. Give people back their lives.

I'm already doing it, but copping the 20% pay cut. it's still 100% worth it, but it'd be a lot nicer if I was still getting paid 👍

This has been the sticking point for us. Expectation that pay remains the same and the hours drop.

I've proposed a halfway point where we do 34 hours per week over 4 days (8.5 hour days) and reduce the pay by 5%, which roughly equates to a 5% pay rise equivalent. Still waiting for our HR advisor to tick it off.

I thought you might be on struggle street the way you carry on, but you're able to give up 20% of your income and it's no big deal. That's unreal.

Yeah, it's unreal that people have concern and empathy about how others are going, and don't just think of themselves.

Truly mind blowing stuff!

Yeah, it's unreal that people have concern and empathy about how others are going, and don't just think of themselves.

Truly mind blowing stuff!

I have plenty of empathy for people who work their butts off but still can't get ahead, but not so much for people that act hard done by when they can work but choose not to.

Has been heading in this direction for a long time. He has totally lost it and now the accusations of sexual assault.

In 2014, the Guardian asked me to nominate my hero of the year. To some people’s surprise, I chose Russell Brand. I loved the way he energised young people who had been alienated from politics. I claimed, perhaps hyperbolically, he was “the best thing that has happened to the left in years” (in my defence, there wasn’t, at the time, much competition).

Today, I can scarcely believe it’s the same man. I’ve watched 50 of his recent videos, with growing incredulity. He appears to have switched from challenging injustice to conjuring phantoms. If, as I suspect it might, politics takes a very dark turn in the next few years, it will be partly as a result of people like Brand.

It’s hard to decide which is most dispiriting: the stupidity of some of the theories he recites, or the lack of originality. He repeatedly says he’s not a conspiracy theorist, but, to me, he certainly sounds like one.

In 2014, he was bursting with new ideas and creative ways of presenting them. Today, he wastes his talent on tired and discredited tales: endless iterations of the alleged evils of the World Economic Forum founder, Klaus Schwab, the Great Reset, Bill Gates, Nancy Pelosi, the former US chief medical adviser, Anthony Fauci, Covid vaccines, medical data, the World Health Organization, Pfizer, smart cities and “the globalist masterplan”.

His videos appear to promote “natural immunity” ahead of vaccines, and for a while pushed ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine as treatments for Covid(they aren’t).

He championed the “Freedom Convoy” that occupied Ottawa, which apparently stood proudly against the “tyranny” of Justin Trudeau’s policies. He hawks Graham Hancock’s widely debunked claims about ancient monuments.

On and drearily on he goes. He manages to confuse the World Health Organization’s call for better pandemic surveillance (by which it means the tracking of infectious diseases) with coercive surveillance of the population, creating “centralised systems of control where you are ultimately a serf”.

Some of his many rants about Bill Gates are illustrated with an image of the man wearing a multicoloured lapel badge, helpfully circled in red. This speaks to another widespread conspiracy theory: those who wear this badge are members of a secret organisation conspiring to control the world (so secret they stick it on their jackets). In reality, it shows support for the UN sustainable development goals.
…….
Some of his theories, such as his recent obsession with UFOs, are innocuous enough. Others have potential to do great harm. There’s the risk to the people scapegoated, such as Fauci, Schwab and Pelosi: subjects of conspiracy theories often become targets of violence. There are the risks misleading claims present to public health. And bizarre stories about shadowy “elites” protect real elites from scrutiny and challenge.

While I’m not suggesting this is his purpose, it’s a tactic used deliberately by powerful people to disarm those who might otherwise hold them to account. Donald Trump’s former chief strategist, Steve Bannon, had a term for it: “flood the zone with s**t”. As Naomi Klein has shown, the Great Reset conspiracy theory was conceived by a staffer at the Heartland Institute, a US lobby group that has promoted climate denial and other billionaire-friendly positions. It’s a bastardisation of her shock doctrine hypothesis, distracting people from the malfeasance of those with real power.

Worse still, conspiracism is fascism’s fuel. Almost all successful conspiracy theories originate with or land with the far right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back