Opinion Some big names now irrelevant?

Remove this Banner Ad

SnowRoo

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lots of best 23s coming out at the moment and I have noticed a trend appearing.

Some of our bigger names over the past few years are far from locked in the best line ups.

Surprisingly most of these names could now leave the club without it having much effect!

Luke McDonald
Jy Simpkin
Tarryn Thomas
Cam Zurhaar
Jaidyn Stephenson
Curtis Taylor

All of these, what were lock 22 players, could now be left out of the team and it not really be noticed.

Is this a good sign, in the fact that we are growing some decent depth?
Or does this emphasise the lack of class in our upper echelon over the past years?

I find something concerning with not considering our co captains locks in the best 22!
Will be interesting to see how this stands by years end.

Some of our bigger names over the past few years are far from locked in the best line ups.

Surprisingly most of these names could now leave the club without it having much effect!

Luke McDonald
Jy Simpkin
Tarryn Thomas
Cam Zurhaar
Jaidyn Stephenson
Curtis Taylor
If Lmac regains his 2020 form he is best 22 although he hasn't regained that consistency since. He was once an important cog but definitely feels like he's on the outer.
Jy is best 22. We cannot go in with a young midfield under no senior leadership. Had a few injuries during 2023 and is elite at his best.
Very surprised to see Tarryn Thomas on this list. He is irreplaceable simply because he has traits we cannot replicate. At his best, he is our best player.
Cam Z at his best is easily best 22. His 2023 season wasn't as good as the 2022 season (which was understandable considering injury niggles).
Sleevo is best 22 when we can utilise him properly. Kicked a few clutch goals at times and needs to be more involved. Too talented to just discard.
Curtis Taylor is a fair enough mention. I think he isn't gonna cut it anymore and I have him on the outer now. Was initially backing him but don't see it. Could possibly become a tagger but that's about it. Just isn't consistent enough.

Interesting thread that I think will keep the traffic flowing until pre-season matches begin. I reckon we need to wait and see. It's super tempting to make predictions and get carried away with expectations.

All of these, what were lock 22 players, could now be left out of the team and it not really be noticed.

Or does this emphasise the lack of class in our upper echelon over the past years?

I find something concerning with not considering our co captains locks in the best 22!
The only player with question marks is Curtis Taylor. Heck, even Lmac at his best won't be left out. Most of these guys haven't reached their peak performance period in the AFL.

Me too because I think you're way off base with that one.

Jy, Cam & Thomas are easily locks, easily. The other 3 have work to do this year to remain.

Luke McDonald
Jy Simpkin
Tarryn Thomas
Cam Zurhaar
Jaidyn Stephenson
Curtis Taylor

All are currently Best 22 players. Simpkin, Thomas and Zurhaar would be at any club in the AFL and are under zero pressure for their spot and can't imagine they would be at any stage this season unless their form and/or fitness fell away dramatically. Thomas obviously has other issues in play as well.

McDonald should be under more pressure than he is. Needs to do way more than he does on the field and possibly as a leader.

Taylor and Stephenson need to work harder. If they don't then hopefully there are younger players pushing hard for their spot.

All are currently Best 22 players. Simpkin, Thomas and Zurhaar would be at any club in the AFL and are under zero pressure for their spot and can't imagine they would be at any stage this season unless their form and/or fitness fell away dramatically. Thomas obviously has other issues in play as well.

McDonald should be under more pressure than he is. Needs to do way more than he does on the field and possibly as a leader.

Taylor and Stephenson need to work harder. If they don't then hopefully there are younger players pushing hard for their spot.
Do you really think Taylor is current best 22? Interested to hear your take on why that is?

Luke McDonald
Jy Simpkin
Tarryn Thomas
Cam Zurhaar
Jaidyn Stephenson
Curtis Taylor

Not sure where someone else stated Jy wasn't a lock. And if they did they're wrong.
Thomas is unless sacked
It gets worse the further I read :p Zurhaar, seriously.
I don't rate highly Stephenson & Curtis.
Even McDonald for his faults will take some moving on for now.

Curtis Taylor.

12 letters.

Not sure that's a big name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you really think Taylor is current best 22? Interested to hear your take on why that is?

Based on 2022 form yeah I had him down as a big part of our future, he took a huge step forward.

2023 not a great year for Curtis unfortunately :(

Not sure where someone else stated Jy wasn't a lock. And if they did they're wrong.
Thomas is unless sacked
It gets worse the further I read :p Zurhaar, seriously.
I don't rate highly Stephenson & Curtis.
Even McDonald for his faults will take some moving on for now.

Where do you see Jy in our midfield?

LDU
TT
Warlord
WilPhil

JY

Powell
Sheez
Lazz
McKercher
Bull
Fish

Would losing our 5th best mid hurt considering the next 6 options?

As for Bull I love him to death, but.....
Ford, Curtis, Duursma, George, Shhez, Stephenson, Harvey ...big gap... Taylor, hansen Jnr

Not like we are light on for mid size forwards with Duurz and George expected to become elite.
Do we lose a lot if Bull isnt there?

LMac ..... Goat, Sheez, Fish, Hardeman, Berg, Arch, McKercher thats 7 other options for his spot. Younger, faster, cleaner I think hes under the pump.

Not saying I dont rate these guys, love them all, just dont see them as essential anymore.

Where do you see Jy in our midfield?

LDU
TT
Warlord
WilPhil

JY

Powell
Sheez
Lazz
McKercher
Bull
Fish

Would losing our 5th best mid hurt considering the next 6 options?

As for Bull I love him to death, but.....
Ford, Curtis, Duursma, George, Shhez, Stephenson, Harvey ...big gap... Taylor, hansen Jnr

Not like we are light on for mid size forwards with Duurz and George expected to become elite.
Do we lose a lot if Bull isnt there?

LMac ..... Goat, Sheez, Fish, Hardeman, Berg, Arch, McKercher thats 7 other options for his spot. Younger, faster, cleaner I think hes under the pump.

Not saying I dont rate these guys, love them all, just dont see them as essential anymore.
I’d currently rate Jy as our third best mid. Wardlaw and Phillips could certainly go past him (Wardlaw moreso) but on exposed form I’d say Jy is a rung above. TT is a better mid but is very temperamental. So yes losing Jy would hurt.

Don’t agree with your Zurhaar assessment. I’d expect Zurhaar to be our best performed forward of all the names you mention for next year. Sheez is already a special player but will unlikely play forward in the short term.

Agree on Lmac but some of the names you mention there are really running half back types and can’t provide the defensive capability you’d expect Lmacs role to provide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back