Song Contest Part XVI, Host: ???, Theme:???, Noms Due: ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
THINK BACK TO WHEN YOU WERE 15 OR 16 (OR EVEN 23/24) AND WHICH SONGS OR ALBUMS WERE FIFTY YEARS OLD :oops:
Yeah! Stuff from Blind Lemon Jefferson or Charley Patton, etc. But I get your point (If that was your point). Most of the music from that era didn't resonate at all with teenagers 50 years later. It shows how much hasn't hasn't really changed since the mid to late '60's.

This guy was over 50 years earlier back when I was young and impressionable...

Yeah! Stuff from Blind Lemon Jefferson or Charley Patton, etc. But I get your point (If that was your point). Most of the music from that era didn't resonate at all with teenagers 50 years later. It shows how much hasn't hasn't really changed since the mid to late '60's.

This guy was over 50 years earlier back when I was young and impressionable...

I listened to Lead Belly and Robert Johnson when I was in my early 20
Maybe they were 40+ years old then

A. You're thinking of ChappyUK

B. There is no way you have voted yet.

The only song in the playlist that was better than mine was this song.

For some reason it was withdrawn, maybe because it wasn't enough of a guilty pleasure, it's the only Limp Bizkit song I don't feel guilty about liking.

Still would have got my 5 even if it isn't a guilty pleasure, great song, considered nomming it myself for other themes.

As much as I love the Stones, I disagree on the trumped part. They are my 2 favourite live albums. Almost impossible to split.

I never really got into The Who, I can appreciate that they were a great band from that late 60s/early 70s era but none of their songs grabbed me.

The Stones had better hits during that era and Sticky Fingers was as close to the perfect rock album as you can get,

There's no shame coming second to The Stones though, at their peak with Mick Taylor and Keef they were unbeatable, The Who only had Pete Townshend.

GET YER YA-YAS OUT IS RUBBISH
It is magnificent.
ALL STONES LIVE ALBUMS ARE s**t
Quite possibly true, with the exception of the ones recorded with Mick Taylor in the band.
I HAVE NEVER HEARD ANY LIVE RECORDING OF THEIRS WHICH IMPROVED UPON THE ORIGINAL STUDIO VERSION
There's plenty of songs during the Taylor era that surpass their studio equivalents:

Stray Cat Blues
Love In Vain
Midnight Rambler
Sympathy For The Devil (completely different, but just as good)
Street Fighting Man (see above)
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Satisfaction
Carol
I'm Free
Brown Sugar
Dead Flowers
Tumbling Dice
Happy
All Down The Line
Dancing With Mr D
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie

THE STONES COULD STILL CUT IT LIVE EVEN WHEN THEY WERE DEALING WITH THE ALTAMONT CHAOS AND GROUPIES RUNNING ON STAGE.
Yep.
AT THEIR PEAK THEY WERE THE BEST ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD, NO ONE ELSE HAS TOPPED THEM INCLUDING THE WHO AND LED ZEPPELIN IMHO.
Taylor era Stones and '69-'76 Who are pretty hard to split.

DEEP PURPLE s**t ALL OVER ROLLING STONES AS A LIVE BAND

EASILY THE BEST ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD AT THEIR PEAK FROM 1970-1973

BEST LIVE ALBUM:
220px-Deep_Purple_Made_in_Japan.jpg
In my top 5 live albums. Awesome album. Ridiculously talented band.

There's no shame coming second to The Stones though, at their peak with Mick Taylor and Keef they were unbeatable, The Who only had Pete Townshend.
Completely different setup though. The Who also had John Entwistle, who played like no other bassist.

Yeah! Stuff from Blind Lemon Jefferson or Charley Patton, etc.
But I get your point... Most of the music from that era didn't resonate at all with teenagers 50 years later
NAH.. NO ULTERIOR JUDGMENTAL POINT

JUST SHAKING MY HEAD AT THE PASSAGE OF TIME

INCREDIBLE TO THINK THAT FOR A TEENAGER TODAY, THE CLASSIC ROCK WE GREW UP LISTENING TO IS THE HISTORICAL EQUIVALENT OF THE OG'S OF MISSISSIPPI DELTA BLUES :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL

KEITH RICHARDS WAS A SLOPPY PLAYER ALWAYS OFF HIS **** AND NOT THAT GREAT TO BEGIN WITH
AND JAGGER IS JUST HORRIBLE ON THOSE LIVE ALBUMS. A-GRADE CLOWN.

KEEF AND MICK WROTE GREAT SONGS - STONES WERE A GREAT BAND - BUT THEY LET THEMSELVES DOWN WITH THE DRUGS AND EGOTISM AND IT DETRACTED FROM THEIR PERFORMANCES

DEEP PURPLE s**t ALL OVER ROLLING STONES AS A LIVE BAND

EASILY THE BEST ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD AT THEIR PEAK FROM 1970-1973

BEST LIVE ALBUM:
220px-Deep_Purple_Made_in_Japan.jpg

DEEP PURPLE LOL, THEY HAD ONE GOOD HIT SMOKE ON THE WATER.

THE STONES HAD AT LEAST A DOZEN GOOD HITS DURING THAT ERA.

KEEF MAY HAVE BEEN OVERRATED AS A GUITARIST BACK THEN BUT THEY ALSO HAD MICK TAYLOR DURING THAT ERA WHO WAS SECOND TO NONE.

(KEEF DIDN'T LIKE THE FACT THAT MICK TAYLOR WAS BETTER THAN HIM WHICH IS ONE OF THE REASONS HE WAS REPLACED BY RONNIE WOOD)

CHARLIE WATTS AND BILL WYMAN WERE A GREAT RHYTHM SECTION BACK THEN TOO AND MICK JAGGER WAS A GREAT FRONTMAN/SHOWMAN.

GIVE PEOPLE THE CHOICE TO SEE THE STONES LIVE AT THEIR PEAK OR DEEP PURPLE OR THE WHO AND 95% OF PEOPLE WOULD CHOOSE THE STONES.

INCREDIBLE TO THINK THAT FOR A TEENAGER TODAY, THE CLASSIC ROCK WE GREW UP LISTENING TO IS THE HISTORICAL EQUIVALENT OF THE OG'S OF MISSISSIPPI DELTA BLUES
Yeah, or the New Orleans dixie of Armstrong or Jelly Roll Morton.

DEEP PURPLE LOL, THEY HAD ONE G
Forget the singles hits. That mk2 lineup of Purple was freaking amazing.
(KEEF DIDN'T LIKE THE FACT THAT MICK TAYLOR WAS BETTER THAN HIM WHICH IS ONE OF THE REASONS HE WAS REPLACED BY RONNIE WOOD)
Not exactly true. Taylor quit, he wasn't fired. And it was because of several reasons. The 2 main ones were lack of songwriting recognition and a worsening heroin habit. By all accounts Keith was extremely pissed off by MT leaving. It was completely unexpected. He (Keith) knew exactly what they were losing.

Pete wasn't laughing when he was investigated for viewing underage pr0n sites and claimed he was just doing research to prevent other people doing it.

That was swept under the carpet pretty quickly.

None of The Stones were guilty of that, sure Bill Wyman married a 16 year old girl but at least he had the decency to leave the band after that.

Mick Jagger probably pushed him out, Mick gives off the vibe that he's wild and loose but he runs The Stones like a corporation and he's the CEO.

Fit in or f*** off seems to be Mick's mantra, only Keef and Charlie are immune to getting the axe from Mick in that band, everyone else is fair game.

Forget the singles hits. That mk2 lineup of Purple was freaking amazing.

Not exactly true. Taylor quit, he wasn't fired. And it was because of several reasons. The 2 main ones were lack of songwriting recognition and a worsening heroin habit. By all accounts Keith was extremely pissed off by MT leaving. It was completely unexpected. He (Keith) knew exactly what they were losing.

Yeah I know songwriting credits was a reason he left so it was probably Mick that pushed him out as he was more about the money than the music.

Keef would have been too wasted back then to care about money, probably still is, while Mick treats The Stones as a money making business.

That's why The Stones keep rolling out world tours into their 60s and 70s, Jagger to his credit though is still an amazing frontman even in his 70s.

I remember seeing The Stones in the early 90s on their Steel Wheels tour, they were considered old back then and they're still going 20 years later.

Their last great song was from Steel Wheels.

Why are people yelling?

ROFLMAO that Deep Purple were better than the Stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back