Autopsy South Australian Footy review

Remove this Banner Ad

Fogarty and Thilthorpe jesus. Its a long long way from the days of Tredrea and Pavlich

Off the top of your head, which South Aussie kicked the most goals last season (no cheating)?

On top of this, Adelaide and Port finished #1/#2 on the membership ladder in 1998, which was the basis for Eddie McGuire kickstarting the membership telethons on The Footy Show.

Victorian clubs are far more likely to respond to crisis and overhaul, South Australian clubs (the obvious moments aside) are far more likely to bend the knee and toe the line under some weird sense of loyalty to organisations/individuals.
Eddie McGuire's move from Victoria Park to the MCG was the beginning of his infiltration of the Victorian State Government. It was the start of all the back door deals whereby money is funnelled to the AFL for favour. Promotion of Victorian interests is the return on investment for the Government and as the AFL is the opiate of the masses in Victoria, the government gladly funds AFL infratstructure. The Pursuit of the "Sporting Capital" is Government policy. Its part of the reason I dispise AFLW so much (apart from it being completely s**t) is that it has allowed the zeitgeist of "womans sport" to further allow the the Vic state Government to "legitamately" funnel more money to the AFL under the guise of enhancing women's facilities. The richest sporting organisation in Australia no less.

I put it down to the expansion teams, obviously for whatever reasons the vast majority of draftees come from Victoria. Pure talent, I don't think so. There are a lot of talented kids in the under 16 and under 18s in SA that just disappear into country football. At some level it has to be access to football development programs whether that be drafted into an AFL program, the cooperation of AFL clubs, or exposure the clubs have to these junior teams.

Add in the going home factor to all these drafted kids, GWS and GCS have been feeder clubs for the Vics giving them access to early 20s players with 2-4 years AFL experience, while our states talent pisses it against the wall on a saturday night after the local A grade for $500 match payments.

Out of interest, who are the gun SA players that have been drafted in the past 10 years? Who are the Coleman medalists? The Brownlow winners?

Has SA produced any good talls? Compared to WA or the Allies?

How do players go when they come to SA? How many stars or players have we attracted?

How many coaches, administrators or umpires do we produce?

Between the two clubs we’ve managed what 3 flags, two brownlows, no Colemans?, and 3 or 4 minor premierships… so comparable to the non traditional football states of QLD and NSW
Someone did the stats a long time ago on here and Port were way ahead of every other SANFL team for producing quality AFL players (no. of games played). But our ability to do that has died off over the last 20 years.

Other SANFL clubs were too busy trying to compete with the AFL, or some BS, to develop players. So for 15 years there was no talent coming through. But I think that mindset has started to change.

These are the SA players drafted between 2000 - 2020

Someone did the stats a long time ago on here and Port were way ahead of every other SANFL team for producing quality AFL players (no. of games played). But our ability to do that has died off over the last 20 years.

Other SANFL clubs were too busy trying to compete with the AFL, or some BS, to develop players. So for 15 years there was no talent coming through. But I think that mindset has started to change.

These are the SA players drafted between 2000 - 2020

Central District’s dominant decade was a black hole.

8 or 9 flags, and only Shannon Hurn and Justin Westhoff emerged to be excellent AFL players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back