Autopsy South Australian Footy review

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea I can’t stay away. Damn it.

I think the SA teams need to get together and do a review of what we are doing as a State.

As an organic footy state we are clearly under performing all this considered. Both teams have underachieved.

We have reputation all issues making us struggle to get big name coaches.

Harder to attract player talent.

Our development systems are sub par.

Stadium deal is not optimal for financial success.

Both clubs need to get their stuff together even as rivals and address these core issue.

As a club. I would resource more recruiting and player development. Use Gorilla tactics and find any post Port players to help.

Geelong has shown how it can be done.
Long story short, as a State we need to get our s**t together!

Yea I can’t stay away. Damn it.

I think the SA teams need to get together and do a review of what we are doing as a State.

As an organic footy state we are clearly under performing all this considered. Both teams have underachieved.

We have reputation all issues making us struggle to get big name coaches.

Harder to attract player talent.

Our development systems are sub par.

Stadium deal is not optimal for financial success.

Both clubs need to get their stuff together even as rivals and address these core issue.

As a club. I would resource more recruiting and player development. Use Gorilla tactics and find any post Port players to help.

Geelong has shown how it can be done.
Long story short, as a State we need to get our s**t together!
We aren't SA football. They are still our main problem with the SANFL and stadium deal. Also why would you help a rival club? What even is this

Geelong aren't comparable. They're pork barrelled up the wazoo and they're the only show in an otherwise very grim town.

I agree re the stadium deal, but that's the only thing I'm interested in collaborating with the crows on. We absolutely need a deal that returns more to us, or at least better incentivises supporters spending money at games.

Out of interest, who are the gun SA players that have been drafted in the past 10 years? Who are the Coleman medalists? The Brownlow winners?

Has SA produced any good talls? Compared to WA or the Allies?

How do players go when they come to SA? How many stars or players have we attracted?

How many coaches, administrators or umpires do we produce?

Between the two clubs we’ve managed what 3 flags, two brownlows, no Colemans?, and 3 or 4 minor premierships… so comparable to the non traditional football states of QLD and NSW

Geelong aren't comparable. They're pork barrelled up the wazoo and they're the only show in an otherwise very grim town.

I agree re the stadium deal, but that's the only thing I'm interested in collaborating with the crows on. We absolutely need a deal that returns more to us, or at least better incentivises supporters spending money at games.
Agree first and foremost on the SMA. There are more areas we should be able to partner with the Crows though. Should as they still run their 'Well it sucks for us, but it sucks more for Port, so we'll suffer, rather than do something that'd help them!' idiocy.

They should be fighting with us on the following:
1. We should be collaborating to get out of the SANFL though. Both approach the AFL/VFL though and there'd be more chance of the AFL picking up the tab for flights (either ours interstate or teams back to Alberton).
2. Every non-Vic club should get at least 2 games every year at the MCG during the minor round (whilst we're stuck with that s**t show of a GF there deal).
3. Teams have full control over what they can wear, except must have an approved clash guernsey. The dicks down the road don't know/care that Collingwood denying us the PB's is effectively saying SA doesn't count. Not just us, but any clash they have with a Vic club, well suck it up Adelaide, you've accepted SA isn't as important.
4. Fight with us (all non-Vic clubs) for fixturing in general that is more fair. Every side should get one Friday night FTA home game each year. The remaining 5 rounds can go to the top 5 from the previous year as a reward.

One of the reasons I despise Adelaide so much, is not that they hate us, that's fine I (we) hate them. It's they can't put that aside to help us and doing so help themselves. Look at AO, they had to be dragged kicking and screaming there, despite trying to now retcon they were onboard (if not driving) from the start. Left to them we'd both still be playing at Footy Park, us in front of North sized crowds, them celebrating 30k as a blockbuster game.

Decades of low population growth has meant we've fallen behind other states. There's simply not as much talent to go around.

Back in 1985 Adelaide had a bigger population than Perth and not much less than Brisbane. Now Perth is 70% bigger and Brisbane is double.

It's not the only problem but it's a big reason why there's not as much elite SA talent.

The SA State government needs to subsidise skilled migration for cherry pickers, not grape pickers. The cherry pickers are more likely to have taller offspring with longer limbs. Ready made KPP materials lol apart from that I've got nothing.

We aren't SA football. They are still our main problem with the SANFL and stadium deal. Also why would you help a rival club? What even is this

I doubt they would follow us. Yet, we must do our part.

This would be us taking the higher road. If they don’t, that’s on them.

I've said it b4 we need u18 teams in the Vic u18 comp.... 2 teams southern districts and northern districts get our best young players playing against the best young guys...not 100% the answer.... But I reckon it would help playing against better opposition + in a better team....

Even though our rivals, rivals can still work together for mutual benefit.

Together we need to be a powerhouse State where players want to come willingly.

Reputation, player development all that stuff I have no interest in working with them. They are a joke for a reason and to an extent player attraction is a zero sum game for many players.

Where it would be good to work with them is:
Both sides are absolutely ****ed by the SNAFL.
I'd argue both sides should be getting more out of their stadium deals. Its such an insane joke for a sporting side with 60k paid up members to regularly get 30k+ to home games yet not be a financial powerhouse.
Both sides should be controlled by their fans/customers rather than having to deal with AFL plants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decades of low population growth has meant we've fallen behind other states. There's simply not as much talent to go around.

Back in 1985 Adelaide had a bigger population than Perth and not much less than Brisbane. Now Perth is 70% bigger and Brisbane is double.

It's not the only problem but it's a big reason why there's not as much elite SA talent.
Hammer. Nail. Head.

We'd not only get massacred by the Vics in SOO these days but WA would smash us as well for this reason as much as any.

Even though our rivals, rivals can still work together for mutual benefit.

Together we need to be a powerhouse State where players want to come willingly.
Wtf. No players come here to play for Port not for SA. It's not a state comp and we have no issues getting players why on earth would you want to make it a 50/50 proposition on who they pick. We are not SA football, we are Port Adelaide and that's it. SA football can get ****ed and die on their own, we are in the AFL and will be fine, they will put us in the VFL or a reserves comp.

Wtf. No players come here to play for Port not for SA. It's not a state comp and we have no issues getting players why on earth would you want to make it a 50/50 proposition on who they pick. We are not SA football, we are Port Adelaide and that's it. SA football can get *ed and die on their own, we are in the AFL and will be fine, they will put us in the VFL or a reserves comp.
Pfftttt most that have come failed, Watts, Rockliff, Motlop just a pass.

Not the whose who.

Let me say that I dislike the Crows, I used to hate them but as you age football gets ranked lower on the importance of your priorities.
When the Victorian Clubs went through a lean patch in the early and mid 2000's I'm sure they got together to discuss their plight in comparison to the non Victorian teams.
Whilst I dislike the Crows it wouldn't stop me from holding discussions with them to see if a 'working relationship' would be beneficial for both teams especially if it gained an advantage over the other 16 teams within the competition.
I see huge benefits in training our systems and game plans against actual opposition who at the time won't know what we're trying to implement. Furthermore I see huge benefits in training to defend against another game plan that we're not familiar with.
I'd rather us train as we intend to play with intensity and a level of uncertainty that requires the team to react under pressure.
Look at our pre-season this year, extremely ordinary from memory, might of contributed to our 0-5 start which killed our season.

Sure the Crows might learn more about us then what we'd like but we'd also learn more about them. When it comes to fitness, they have Darren Burgess who is intimate with our fitness program anyway.

I'd rather start the season match hardened, again if that created an advantage over the 16 other teams then to me it makes sense.

The only way I would be working with them is to get a non-vic team alliance towards confronting the vfl.

Get Adelaide on board. west coast on board, once you have Adelaide and west coast freo follow suit. Brisbane and Sydney are a harder sell but possible. Get Tasmanian government on board.

All with the goal to equalise the competition. No more Victorian power base.

They don’t stack our boards

They don’t hide behind mcg contracts

And don’t funnel millions into shitty useless redundant vic teams while saying we can’t afford a tassie team.

But of course it’s a pipe dream. The whole point is they’ve made sure we don’t have enough independence to do such a thing.

When the Victorian Clubs went through a lean patch in the early and mid 2000's I'm sure they got together to discuss their plight in comparison to the non Victorian teams.

I might be wrong but didn't they hold some sort of enquiry about it as if the sky was falling when non-Vic teams won 6 in a row?

Since then it's what, 16 Vic to 2 Non Vic

I might be wrong but didn't they hold some sort of enquiry about it as if the sky was falling when non-Vic teams won 6 in a row?

I'm near certain the idea was discussed on The Football Show from memory.
Clubs working together occurs, when Brad and Chris Scott were in charge of North Melbourne and Geelong I know they were brothers (Not quite as close as the Atkins Brothers) but they got their teams together to work on various things during one pre-season.
I'd work with the Devil themselves (Adelaide) even if helped them directly also.
We want to gain a competitive advantage over the other 16 clubs, if Adelaide prosper also then so be it.

Historically both teams have tended to perform better when pressured by the success of their cross town rivals.
Port won the very first Showdown, it was one factor in turning around Adelaide's season in 1997.
Crows win the flag in 1998 and Port Adelaide make the finals for the first time in 1999.

Port Adelaide have a period of dominance during 2001 to 2004, Adelaide smash us in a final in 2005.
Port make a Grand Final in 2007 (less talked about that the better), Adelaide have a period where they perform well under Neil Craig years after.

Port had a good year in 2014, Adelaide make a G.F in 2017, thank you Richmond.
Port contend again in 2020 2021.

I honestly believe that there's some correlation between both teams especially when it comes to having bragging rights in a two team State.
This year neither team can brag about anything, who really cares if we finish above Adelaide but miss finals.

On top of this, Adelaide and Port finished #1/#2 on the membership ladder in 1998, which was the basis for Eddie McGuire kickstarting the membership telethons on The Footy Show.

Victorian clubs are far more likely to respond to crisis and overhaul, South Australian clubs (the obvious moments aside) are far more likely to bend the knee and toe the line under some weird sense of loyalty to organisations/individuals.

Out of interest, who are the gun SA players that have been drafted in the past 10 years? Who are the Coleman medalists? The Brownlow winners?

• JHF
  • Tilthorpe
  • Stephens
  • Lukosius
  • Rankine
  • Rozee

These are all top 5 picks the last few seasons. In terms of top talent, I think we are batting above our population average.

How do players go when they come to SA? How many stars or players have we attracted?

How many coaches, administrators or umpires do we produce?

Between the two clubs we’ve managed what 3 flags, two brownlows, no Colemans?, and 3 or 4 minor premierships… so comparable to the non traditional football states of QLD and NSW

3CCA2D9A-BCBF-4327-B0C2-2F17F562E749.jpeg

This lineup probably wouldn’t go down by 100 to Victoria or WA, which is an improvement on the past few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back