List Mgmt. Squad reduction

Remove this Banner Ad

Question: Do potential draftees belong to the AFLPA?

If not, would the AFLPA potentially push hard to move the draft back a year, using the arguments of player health and wellbeing etc to protect it's current players against severe list reductions?

I get that the draft makes some money for the AFL, but does it make enough out of it to warrant the AFL to retaining it (in the face of having to play a new bunch of players as well as the old)?

Do the 16/17 year olds (who might hate the idea of the draft being pushed back) really have much of a voice in all of this?
Players yet-to-be-drafted have no voice at all.

Actually think Pearce’s kicking was underrated. Hardly got to a stage like Langdon. He was reliable long kicker. Worked well with Hill.

Are you thinking of Clancey or Danyle?

Danyle had the tools but made some awful decisions with ball in hand to the extent that coming out of our defensive 50, in the latter stages of his career, what should have been a reliable avenue of exit (i.e his speed and "elite" kicking) was widely ignored by the Freo defenders. Despite his handwaving!

Switkowski and Duman ... I kinda get. Duman in particular is growing on me. Giro and Crowden since their first year....

Switkowski and Duman would’ve been considered best 25 at the time and probably still are by the club, not a bunch of keyboard warriors like us.

That may change but talk about delisting either is way off the mark imo.

Crowden and Giro made little sense though even at the time the contracts were done.

Switkowski and Duman would’ve been considered best 25 at the time and probably still are by the club, not a bunch of keyboard warriors like us.

That may change but talk about delisting either is way off the mark imo.

Crowden and Giro made little sense though even at the time the contracts were done.
Duman first game was round three last year.

Logue didn’t play until round 13 and A Pearce didn’t play after round 11.

S Hill only played three games.

Wilson, Ryan, and Hamling all best 22.

Cerra and Blakely both played off half back.

Plus you add Hughes to the mix.

Not sure he gets a game last year if we didn’t have injuries.

Can Duman be best 22 in the future? maybe yes maybe no.

Giving a 2 year contact for a borderline player is madness.

Switkowski you make a good case for a 2 year contract.

But then again, would he get a regular game at a top 4 team?

Look at Hawthorn, they have 26 players off contract at the moment. Gives themselves flexibility.

Changing the length of the 1/4s has significantly changed the game.. it’s now faster more impactful, and less reliant on gut runners.

If it’s a change that sticks then the concept of recruiting gut runners, is now balanced by players who can impact the contest or make the most of limited opportunities.

Getting to every contest is still however important as you can’t impact if you aren’t at the contest.

If lists are going to be reduced the above needs to be considered. Gut runners with no serious game impact...

Duman first game was round three last year.

Logue didn’t play until round 13 and A Pearce didn’t play after round 11.

S Hill only played three games.

Wilson, Ryan, and Hamling all best 22.

Cerra and Blakely both played off half back.

Plus you add Hughes to the mix.

Not sure he gets a game last year if we didn’t have injuries.

Can Duman be best 22 in the future? maybe yes maybe no.

Giving a 2 year contact for a borderline player is madness.

Switkowski you make a good case for a 2 year contract.

But then again, would he get a regular game at a top 4 team?

Look at Hawthorn, they have 26 players off contract at the moment. Gives themselves flexibility.

The initial comments were Duman and Switkowski vs Giro and Crowden.

We’re talking about two blokes who’ve played 15+ of our last 23 years verses two blokes who’ve barely played at all. It’s chalk and cheese.

Switta and Duman even if they weren’t contracted only wouldn’t be at the club next if they didn’t want to be. The other two not so much.

We’re talking about two blokes who’ve played 15+ of our last 23 years verses two blokes who’ve barely played at all. It’s chalk and cheese.

Switta and Duman even if they weren’t contracted only wouldn’t be at the club next if they didn’t want to be. The other two not so much.
If it goes back to my comments it was actually Banfield and Schultz versus Giro and Crowden. Based on form to date I would take each of Banfield, Duman and Switta. For mine the jury is out on the other three.

Giro and Crowden should never given two years.

Duman and Switta as you say played major of the games in 2019.

Giro is recover from a knee injury and it’s a risk having him on the list.

Crowden only got games because of injuries to other players.

Going to 35, might be a blessing in disguise. Stops rewarding players with two year contracts because they work hard and are a good bloke.

Nat Fyfe isn't a particularly good kick of the footy either, or Neale.
Fyfe & Neale are better than average kicks. They are by no means brilliant, but Fyfe in particular often kicks under extreme pressure, which affects the result. People remember the 2013 GF & have since labelled him a poor kick.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe & Neale are better than average kicks. They are by no means brilliant, but Fyfe in particular often kicks under extreme pressure, which affects the result. People remember the 2013 GF & have since labelled him a poor kick.

Oh, I totally agree. Just making the point that being a brilliant kick isn't the be-all-and-end-all. We're not losing games because of our kicking (although it doesn't help, especially with a conversion rate of 47%) - we're losing games because:

A) Poor drafting and trading, and a bit of bad luck have robbed us of talent coming in the door, or staying on to play 200 games. (Simpson, Morobito, Apeness, Sheridan, Pitt, Bennell)
B) Good players are leaving, or have been told to leave (Hill, Neale, Weller, DeBoer, Langdon, Kersten, Crozier)
C) We don't have the experience or AFL ready bodies to compete. eg Round 1 Freo played 19 with under 100 games, 11 of which were under 50.
D) Our injuries are at ridiculous levels, and there is yet to be a serious investigation as to why.
E) The Jesse Hogan deal is yet to pay any dividends.

There is certainly time for these to turn around, particularly getting games into those 19 players with under 100 games experience. But to use an old over-used saying; it is what it is.

Question: Do potential draftees belong to the AFLPA?

If not, would the AFLPA potentially push hard to move the draft back a year, using the arguments of player health and wellbeing etc to protect it's current players against severe list reductions?

I get that the draft makes some money for the AFL, but does it make enough out of it to warrant the AFL to retaining it (in the face of having to play a new bunch of players as well as the old)?

Do the 16/17 year olds (who might hate the idea of the draft being pushed back) really have much of a voice in all of this?

I think if they up the draft age (which I hope they do), then all the underage comps need to be put up by a year. WAFL and SANFL Colts go to 19s, TAC cup goes to 19, the u/18s champs go to u/19s. Just pushes everyone back a year, so no "superdraft" this year, just a regular draft. It's fairly 'com promised' anyway, with a very large number of Academy and F/S picks anyway. Not a lot of spots for regular draftees with no prior attachments to a club already.

Oh, I totally agree. Just making the point that being a brilliant kick isn't the be-all-and-end-all. We're not losing games because of our kicking (although it doesn't help, especially with a conversion rate of 47%) - we're losing games because:

A) Poor drafting and trading, and a bit of bad luck have robbed us of talent coming in the door, or staying on to play 200 games. (Simpson, Morobito, Apeness, Sheridan, Pitt, Bennell)
B) Good players are leaving, or have been told to leave (Hill, Neale, Weller, DeBoer, Langdon, Kersten, Crozier)
C) We don't have the experience or AFL ready bodies to compete. eg Round 1 Freo played 19 with under 100 games, 11 of which were under 50.
D) Our injuries are at ridiculous levels, and there is yet to be a serious investigation as to why.

There is certainly time for these to turn around, particularly getting games into those 19 players with under 100 games experience. But to use an old over-used saying; it is what it is.
Good post, however, I'll argue that Kersten wasn't a good player & DeBoer, borderline, but perhaps Barlow more than cancels those 2 out.
Also, I really like point E, with the pertinent word being "yet". Like all of us, I'd love to see Jesse come good.
cheers :thumbsu:

Some posters need to take their rose coloured glasses off.

Players mentioned such as Giro, Crowden, Duman and Switta would have never got a game with most top 8 AFL clubs.

They just aren't that good. Yet Giro receives a contract extension while showing very little at WAFL level.

Freo has been rebuilding for a while now and although they have made some good draft and decent trade decisions in recent years they still have some below-average players on their list.

A) Agree

B) Crozier and De Boer would have stayed. Both played out of position.

Neale and Hill fronted contract allowed other clubs to make offers you can’t refuse.

C) I really didn’t realize how young and inexperienced team we had. Plus, Put things in perspective that we only lost by a kick on the road against average team.

D)Agree, if injuries were a win lost record, then heads would roll.

E) The Lobb and Hogan Combo is pretty dangerous.

I hate to be Captain Hindsight but...
2012 Draft Pick 17 Simpson, Pick 18 Brodie Grundy and West Coast traded Pick 40 and 43 for Cripps and Pick 45
2013 Draft Pick 17 Apeness, Pick 18 Dunstan Pick 19 Acres and West Coast traded Pick 28 for Elliot Yeo

Makes my blood boil!!!

I hate to be Captain Hindsight but...
2012 Draft Pick 17 Simpson, Pick 18 Brodie Grundy and West Coast traded Pick 40 and 43 for Cripps and Pick 45
2013 Draft Pick 17 Apeness, Pick 18 Dunstan Pick 19 Acres and West Coast traded Pick 28 for Elliot Yeo

Makes my blood boil!!!
Yeo wanted to come to us. Our backline was stacked and didn’t want another half back.

Seriously, get the best players and sort the roles later.

Yeo wanted to come to us. Our backline was stacked and didn’t want another half back.

Seriously, get the best players and sort the roles later.
Yep. If our first and second round draft picks in the 2013 draft were that precious to us, we could have also traded established foot soldiers for Yeo as well. Brisbane at that stage were screaming for established players.

Packaging up some players like Clancee Pearce or Nic Suban etc (guys who had proven they could football and just come off 2 finals campaigns in row) might have been far more interesting to Brisbane than WCE's 20-something pick to go on yet another untried kid.

Giro and Crowden should never given two years.

Duman and Switta as you say played major of the games in 2019.

Giro is recover from a knee injury and it’s a risk having him on the list.

Crowden only got games because of injuries to other players.

Going to 35, might be a blessing in disguise. Stops rewarding players with two year contracts because they work hard and are a good bloke.
My point all along has been all these guys Giro, Crowden, Schultz, Banfield, Duman for example are all depth players with marginal difference. I disagree with comments on Switta. Banfield has teased without really consolidating his spot. He did have a good rookie year. Duman has teased as well. Schultz is a tough nut but just doesn’t have any tricks. I agree with comments around signing up Giro and Crowden for too long. Was just unnecessary and not justified.

With regards to list size I’m not sure where you get the reduction to 35 from. I have read a common theme around removing the the Cat-A rookie list or reducing it slightly. That is what clubs like Brisbane, North, GCS, St Kilda and GWS have done previously (Ie have less Cat-A rookies than what is allowed due to financial reasons). Also this comment from Gil (on afl.com.au) today consolidates the fact that the primary list won’t be touched at least going into the 2021 season:
"No, there's certainly not anything I'm aware of where it would happen this year. For reasons that are obvious, all aspects of football are under review going forward. List sizes have come up, but I have no information that it would mean it would have any impact this year."

It is sounding more like very minimal list changes, minimal trades, minimal drafting and some cuts to the Cat-A rookie list (whether club enforced or a change from the AFL). Peter Bell commented that they would give everyone a go at playing senior AFL in this condensed season and that incl. some rookies. That way they can make an informed decision on the small number of list changes (prob 3-4 primary list and 3-4 Cat-A rookie list).

My point all along has been all these guys Giro, Crowden, Schultz, Banfield, Duman for example are all depth players with marginal difference. I disagree with comments on Switta. Banfield has teased without really consolidating his spot. He did have a good rookie year. Duman has teased as well. Schultz is a tough nut but just doesn’t have any tricks. I agree with comments around signing up Giro and Crowden for too long. Was just unnecessary and not justified.

With regards to list size I’m not sure where you get the reduction to 35 from. I have read a common theme around removing the the Cat-A rookie list or reducing it slightly. That is what clubs like Brisbane, North, GCS, St Kilda and GWS have done previously (Ie have less Cat-A rookies than what is allowed due to financial reasons). Also this comment from Gil (on afl.com.au) today consolidates the fact that the primary list won’t be touched at least going into the 2021 season:
"No, there's certainly not anything I'm aware of where it would happen this year. For reasons that are obvious, all aspects of football are under review going forward. List sizes have come up, but I have no information that it would mean it would have any impact this year."

It is sounding more like very minimal list changes, minimal trades, minimal drafting and some cuts to the Cat-A rookie list (whether club enforced or a change from the AFL). Peter Bell commented that they would give everyone a go at playing senior AFL in this condensed season and that incl. some rookies. That way they can make an informed decision on the small number of list changes (prob 3-4 primary list and 3-4 Cat-A rookie list).
I am the 35 list reduction from SEN, Melbourne Newspapers and Footy Classified. Plus, the AFLPA has said that they against it.

Latest, is squads will reduced to 38 and then 35 the next.

Northern clubs are against the idea as they won’t have numbers to support their NAFL teams.

I am the 35 list reduction from SEN, Melbourne Newspapers and Footy Classified. Plus, the AFLPA has said that they against it.

Latest, is squads will reduced to 38 and then 35 the next.

Northern clubs are against the idea as they won’t have numbers to support their NAFL teams.
Fair enough but honestly most of the sports personalities and journalists are just talking BS because they have nothing to talk about. I’ve read/heard a number of coaches indicate they are strongly against reducing the lists.

38 plus some Cat-A and Cat-B sounds about right. Just a minor reduction for 2021.

Fyfe isn’t a poor kick as in he can’t hit a target, the ball gets there BUT it lacks penetration and kind of floats in the air giving the opposition time to read it and get it.

That’s where the clangers are coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back