Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Having thought about this for most of the year, and posted on SS in March and April that there were serious warning signs as early as late last season that the coach had very little clue and that the end of Roo's career was going to be a fork in the road for our club. As the famous base baller Yogi Berra said, "When you come to the fork in the road, take it." Perhaps he's being channelled by our directionless administration. I was, of course howled down by the usual "blue sky experts" on SS, an ongoing stoush which led to my defection to BF as a delisted FA. Like many players and forumites in my position, what a blessing that has proved. The interesting thing was that I had plenty of support from a number of posters over there, so I was hardly alone in my views. Many also read the signs, but were hoping they weren't right.

Tragically for us, things have turned out worse than we could have imagined. At first I thought we'd probably stagnate, rather than have the expected improvement. The loss of Joey and especially Roo was always going to hurt, as was the nightmare draw we were handed. My main concerns were with the coach, who in his entire tenure had been unable to prevent regular thrashings and blowouts, even in the years we did reasonably well, being 2016 and 2017 (Note: how many clubs would consider 9th and 11th place "successful years"? That going backwards was a sign of success? The truly successful clubs wouldn't have, no matter what preceded them. See Geelong, finished 11th, went out and got Danger, didn't accept the inevitability of a slide and bounced straight back into consecutive finals series).

In the preseason, TMBK came out and posed a bold question to the media. "You don't think we have any A graders? Come back and ask me again at the end of the season as to how many we have then." Well, we still have the same number and several others who are further away from that crucial status than ever before. This indicates several things.

1. He believed the quality of the list was much better than has been proven, as apart from Gresh and maybe Jimmy Webster, no one has improved significantly and certainly not to the extent you would expect talented youngsters to advance. Billings, Acres, Ross, McCartin, Dunstan, Goddard, McKenzie and White should have all been either A grade or consistently good B graders by now. None of them are A grade, nor even consistently good B graders. They've all teased us with glimpses of their ability, but have rarely delivered consistently, with the exception of Ross. All but Ross have had their time in the VFL this year, a shocking indictment on both themselves and the coaching staff.

2. The coach and his merry band of hangers-on are incapable of identifying needs, constructing effective development plans for the individuals, nor are capable of carrying out any plans that are in place, successfully.

3. Taking responsibility. The coach is very good at deflecting responsibility onto others. Among his many failings and unappealing traits, this is perhaps the worst. It started a couple of years ago, when he threw the trout under the bus when serious questions were being raised about Paddy's selection at number 1 and how poorly he was performing. TMBK tried to convince us it was the trout who was responsible, saying the trout had assured him and the club that Paddy was a gun who would guarantee us ten years of top class football. I remember taking note, because in an earlier interview when asked who he would take out of Boyd, Hogan and McCartin, he said "Paddy, Paddy and Paddy again." Clearly he also rated McCartin, except when it came to accepting he was a bust.

This disturbing trend has continued this year in relation to the players. Of course they have to shoulder blame, but not once have I heard TMBK make a definitive public statement about his own appalling performance and what he intends to do about it. It's always a case of the players training and working harder during the week, carrying out the game plan, whatever it is, etc. etc. Week after week we are fed this inane drivel, leaking out of the side of his mouth, framed with his beige, indifferent countenance. Perhaps it is a reflection of the weak administration we also have, which refuses to take responsibility for its howlers.

4. The administration doesn't act when necessary. It is crippled by fear of failure, a behaviour that inevitably brings what you least want. Failure. This is one area this administration has succeeded in spadesful. TMBK's re-signing for 2 extra years. Leaving trout in charge of list management and recruiting when it was clear he was incompetent and hopelessly underqualified. Another example of a good bloke being kept around. They're even trying to find somewhere to hide him on the staff now! You can't make this s**t up! The grovelling apology to Murphy, the instigator of that tawdry episode (which I did say would affect the player's attitude towards the admin. cause resentment but was again accused of psychobabble on SS, even though our form fell away afterwards), the relentless drive to satisfy HQ that we are socially progressive and inclusive, whatever that means. The failure to establish a stand alone VFL team, with Sandringham performing like a busted arse for years and our players not developing in that environment (Note how quickly some improved when promoted even though they weren't carving it up down there, Battle, Phillips, Rice, Austin, McKenzie). The coach, who appears to be safe in his position and acts as though he knows it, is a reflection of stagnation for stability's sake.

5. You'll have noticed by now I haven't mentioned the dreaded "L" word. That is because the day Roo and Joey left, the last remaining traces of leadership left with them. What an indictment on the remaining personnel that the traits of those great champions were not transferred to the next generation. We have an uninspiring, battler for a captain. Another reflection of the coach and admin. elected (laughably) by a playing group that lacks leadership itself and from what has been displayed on field this year, is afraid to assume the responsibility. See? There's that word again. The lack of taking responsibility permeates this club like a cancer. That's why there's no leadership.

6. The constructs of leadership are openness, consideration in decision making, empathy, flexibility, capability, motivation of self and others and altruism. Of course, a healthy dose of controlled passion and a genuine love of your cause also helps (Benny Gale anyone?). How many of you can say you've seen the club display any, or all of these traits or constructs on a consistent or even occasional basis this year? If anything, it's been like the scramble for life boats on the Titanic. Blame others for failure and when all is lost, disguise yourself as a woman or child and push the others out of the way.

In closing, nothing will change until Summers, Finnis and TMBK are gone. Summers is a supposed gun in business. After all, he's at the top of the tree at A.V. Jennings, isn't he? Well he worked his way up from the bottom and has been at the same organisation for thirty years. Mediocrity always rises in large organisations. I've written a paper on why, which, somewhat ironically was commissioned by Westpac. It rises because it doesn't challenge the Status Quo, nor is capable of doing so. It never causes discomfort or conflict with its superiors. It craves safety and security, where greater talents with the capability to improve seek other opportunities. Finally, it has no interest other than its own advancement. It doesn't come to work to do the job, it comes to work to further its own brilliant career. I'm sure you all know the type. They get to the top by attrition, suction and ensuring every action they take advances their cause. You've all worked with, or worked for, someone like that, I'm sure. That's why I was sceptical of Summers from the beginning. Thirty years in one place is nothing to be proud of. It just means you're a survivor. Couple him with an ambitious CEO who has no love or passion for our club and a clueless coaching group, which itself is a product of mediocrity and you have the fabulous dessert I described in the title. We 've endured the entrée (Unappetising rebuild), the main course (A barely satisfactory improvement) and now the dessert, which like in any meal was supposed to leave us satisfied, pleased and positive about the future. Pun intended. Instead we all have a sour taste in our mouths. The classic mash up Eaton Mess has morphed into the unpleasant St.Kilda Mess. The way the traditional St.Kilda meal always ends.

In part 2 I will outline some solutions. They may surprise you. Toodle Pip!

PS. Sack Richo!

Agree with a large portion of what you've taken the time to write Drake (was going to abbreviate to DH, but that is unfortunate). The lack of leadership is so great as to be a leadership vacuum. My only comfort comes from the fact that nature abhors a vacuum and always seeks to fill it. And your observations on Summers are insightful, I know exactly the "success by suction/attrition" type environment of which you speak. In fact a lft a company because of it, and it is the standard model for USA based multinationals.
Our coaching is in dire need of an overhaul, and our playing group is in even more dire need of leadership......

The ultimate impasse. Stuck in the mud and we'll continue to sink.

Short term and possibly long term irreversible damage of talent. See Gold Coast.

One of the greatest psychological messes you could imagine. The poor mental profile of our list exacerbated by incompetent leadership, development, coaching and admin.

A disfigured embarrassment.

Having thought about this for most of the year, and posted on SS in March and April that there were serious warning signs as early as late last season that the coach had very little clue and that the end of Roo's career was going to be a fork in the road for our club. As the famous base baller Yogi Berra said, "When you come to the fork in the road, take it." Perhaps he's being channelled by our directionless administration. I was, of course howled down by the usual "blue sky experts" on SS, an ongoing stoush which led to my defection to BF as a delisted FA. Like many players and forumites in my position, what a blessing that has proved. The interesting thing was that I had plenty of support from a number of posters over there, so I was hardly alone in my views. Many also read the signs, but were hoping they weren't right.

Tragically for us, things have turned out worse than we could have imagined. At first I thought we'd probably stagnate, rather than have the expected improvement. The loss of Joey and especially Roo was always going to hurt, as was the nightmare draw we were handed. My main concerns were with the coach, who in his entire tenure had been unable to prevent regular thrashings and blowouts, even in the years we did reasonably well, being 2016 and 2017 (Note: how many clubs would consider 9th and 11th place "successful years"? That going backwards was a sign of success? The truly successful clubs wouldn't have, no matter what preceded them. See Geelong, finished 11th, went out and got Danger, didn't accept the inevitability of a slide and bounced straight back into consecutive finals series).

In the preseason, TMBK came out and posed a bold question to the media. "You don't think we have any A graders? Come back and ask me again at the end of the season as to how many we have then." Well, we still have the same number and several others who are further away from that crucial status than ever before. This indicates several things.

1. He believed the quality of the list was much better than has been proven, as apart from Gresh and maybe Jimmy Webster, no one has improved significantly and certainly not to the extent you would expect talented youngsters to advance. Billings, Acres, Ross, McCartin, Dunstan, Goddard, McKenzie and White should have all been either A grade or consistently good B graders by now. None of them are A grade, nor even consistently good B graders. They've all teased us with glimpses of their ability, but have rarely delivered consistently, with the exception of Ross. All but Ross have had their time in the VFL this year, a shocking indictment on both themselves and the coaching staff.

2. The coach and his merry band of hangers-on are incapable of identifying needs, constructing effective development plans for the individuals, nor are capable of carrying out any plans that are in place, successfully.

3. Taking responsibility. The coach is very good at deflecting responsibility onto others. Among his many failings and unappealing traits, this is perhaps the worst. It started a couple of years ago, when he threw the trout under the bus when serious questions were being raised about Paddy's selection at number 1 and how poorly he was performing. TMBK tried to convince us it was the trout who was responsible, saying the trout had assured him and the club that Paddy was a gun who would guarantee us ten years of top class football. I remember taking note, because in an earlier interview when asked who he would take out of Boyd, Hogan and McCartin, he said "Paddy, Paddy and Paddy again." Clearly he also rated McCartin, except when it came to accepting he was a bust.

This disturbing trend has continued this year in relation to the players. Of course they have to shoulder blame, but not once have I heard TMBK make a definitive public statement about his own appalling performance and what he intends to do about it. It's always a case of the players training and working harder during the week, carrying out the game plan, whatever it is, etc. etc. Week after week we are fed this inane drivel, leaking out of the side of his mouth, framed with his beige, indifferent countenance. Perhaps it is a reflection of the weak administration we also have, which refuses to take responsibility for its howlers.

4. The administration doesn't act when necessary. It is crippled by fear of failure, a behaviour that inevitably brings what you least want. Failure. This is one area this administration has succeeded in spadesful. TMBK's re-signing for 2 extra years. Leaving trout in charge of list management and recruiting when it was clear he was incompetent and hopelessly underqualified. Another example of a good bloke being kept around. They're even trying to find somewhere to hide him on the staff now! You can't make this s**t up! The grovelling apology to Murphy, the instigator of that tawdry episode (which I did say would affect the player's attitude towards the admin. cause resentment but was again accused of psychobabble on SS, even though our form fell away afterwards), the relentless drive to satisfy HQ that we are socially progressive and inclusive, whatever that means. The failure to establish a stand alone VFL team, with Sandringham performing like a busted arse for years and our players not developing in that environment (Note how quickly some improved when promoted even though they weren't carving it up down there, Battle, Phillips, Rice, Austin, McKenzie). The coach, who appears to be safe in his position and acts as though he knows it, is a reflection of stagnation for stability's sake.

5. You'll have noticed by now I haven't mentioned the dreaded "L" word. That is because the day Roo and Joey left, the last remaining traces of leadership left with them. What an indictment on the remaining personnel that the traits of those great champions were not transferred to the next generation. We have an uninspiring, battler for a captain. Another reflection of the coach and admin. elected (laughably) by a playing group that lacks leadership itself and from what has been displayed on field this year, is afraid to assume the responsibility. See? There's that word again. The lack of taking responsibility permeates this club like a cancer. That's why there's no leadership.

6. The constructs of leadership are openness, consideration in decision making, empathy, flexibility, capability, motivation of self and others and altruism. Of course, a healthy dose of controlled passion and a genuine love of your cause also helps (Benny Gale anyone?). How many of you can say you've seen the club display any, or all of these traits or constructs on a consistent or even occasional basis this year? If anything, it's been like the scramble for life boats on the Titanic. Blame others for failure and when all is lost, disguise yourself as a woman or child and push the others out of the way.

In closing, nothing will change until Summers, Finnis and TMBK are gone. Summers is a supposed gun in business. After all, he's at the top of the tree at A.V. Jennings, isn't he? Well he worked his way up from the bottom and has been at the same organisation for thirty years. Mediocrity always rises in large organisations. I've written a paper on why, which, somewhat ironically was commissioned by Westpac. It rises because it doesn't challenge the Status Quo, nor is capable of doing so. It never causes discomfort or conflict with its superiors. It craves safety and security, where greater talents with the capability to improve seek other opportunities. Finally, it has no interest other than its own advancement. It doesn't come to work to do the job, it comes to work to further its own brilliant career. I'm sure you all know the type. They get to the top by attrition, suction and ensuring every action they take advances their cause. You've all worked with, or worked for, someone like that, I'm sure. That's why I was sceptical of Summers from the beginning. Thirty years in one place is nothing to be proud of. It just means you're a survivor. Couple him with an ambitious CEO who has no love or passion for our club and a clueless coaching group, which itself is a product of mediocrity and you have the fabulous dessert I described in the title. We 've endured the entrée (Unappetising rebuild), the main course (A barely satisfactory improvement) and now the dessert, which like in any meal was supposed to leave us satisfied, pleased and positive about the future. Pun intended. Instead we all have a sour taste in our mouths. The classic mash up Eaton Mess has morphed into the unpleasant St.Kilda Mess. The way the traditional St.Kilda meal always ends.

PS. Sack Richo!
Yeah, that about sums it up.
I like that you've avoided too many big words, and used spaces between paragraphs finally.
Nice wright-up Drake.
Sack Richo!

PS. Sack Richo!

Ripping post!

In a nutshell, I think we need more blokes in & around the club that HATE losing. There are not many around that I would genuinely put in that category. Sam Mitchell is one...

The ultimate impasse. Stuck in the mud and we'll continue to sink.

Short term and possibly long term irreversible damage of talent. See Gold Coast.

One of the greatest psychological messes you could imagine. The poor mental profile of our list exacerbated by incompetent leadership, development, coaching and admin.

A disfigured embarrassment.

That's quite profound Marlo. Negative but eloquent.

ripping thread. nailed it on all fronts. especially the paddy comment. people forget there is a list management committee. guess who's on it. the senior coach. why? because the list manager isn't at every god damn football meeting, training session or every game. senior coach still has significant input and rightfully so into the make up of the list.

As an old ex coach (not a Saints man)remarked to me last year when the Saints were going off the boil: "I think the other teams have worked your bloke (Richo)out". We know Lyon had no "plan B" but I think Richo had no plan- it just happened that thinks were OK for a while, then it just went off the tracks.

This is really good, and the type of deep analysis that is so sorely lacking in the footy media. I can live with the almost complete lack of tactical understanding, but there really is no excuse for the inability of journalists to engage in analysis which is (1) not cliched and (2) considers a timeline over the course of a few years rather than a couple of weeks.

If we were subjected to the analysis and criticism such as the above in the Herald Sun or The Age, then I can't see the club resisting the pressure to act decisively. Instead we have every negative comment about Richo prefaced with 'he's a great guy and I wouldn't want anything bad for him, but... '

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Great post.

It's taken me a while to come around, but now I'm here, and mostly for he reasons you have outlined above.

Wowee, well written Drake.

I do hope (as I'm sure you are) that it is not all proven to be correct. Glad you highlighted the Murphy incident - Cannot believe the club didn't back our man in.

I couldn't believe they managed to turn us into the villains of the piece. A classic case of helping the media shoot us in the foot. I can just imagine Kennett and Clarkson, the Scotts or Worsfold in the same position. They would've blasted Murphy, Carlton and then defended their own. Carlisle and Gears must have felt particularly deflated. Things like that go through the place like a dose of gastro. It was no coincidence that our form suffered in the weeks that followed.

Publicly, the players trotted out the party line. Privately, several of them were furious. Not pleasing, nor positive, apparently.

This is really good, and the type of deep analysis that is so sorely lacking in the footy media. I can live with the almost complete lack of tactical understanding, but there really is no excuse for the inability of journalists to engage in analysis which is (1) not cliched and (2) considers a timeline over the course of a few years rather than a couple of weeks.

The excuse is that none of them have any experience in the real world. They have no idea what decent management and business look like. (Though to be fair those are a little hard to find anywhere.)

Footy journos get their spots by having beers with the right blokes, being good on TV (which means quick with a cliche), and not questioning the established order.

Honestly, it probably can't be any other way. Shame though.

Having thought about this for most of the year, and posted on SS in March and April that there were serious warning signs as early as late last season that the coach had very little clue and that the end of Roo's career was going to be a fork in the road for our club. As the famous base baller Yogi Berra said, "When you come to the fork in the road, take it." Perhaps he's being channelled by our directionless administration. I was, of course howled down by the usual "blue sky experts" on SS, an ongoing stoush which led to my defection to BF as a delisted FA. Like many players and forumites in
Yet another truly engaging post there Drake.

The "failings "of the club over the last 4-5 years are laid bare in your post.

Most Saints people I know would not be any the wiser with the contents of your post.....they'd be absolutely shocked/horrified if they read it as I assume most Saints supporters would be.

For so many supporters.....from the outside looking in......the club looks steady but having a crap year.

We are so fortunate on here that we get many great/detailed insights regarding the club from many excellent posters...…..of which I naturally include you .

What a mess!!!

Depressing really.......I try not to think about it too much.....well I do...….just keep thinking..."can we climb out or this nightmarish mess"

Really looking forward to your solutions post.

I'll put away the razor blades until then....lol.

Back in the early 2000s Grant Thomas was potted by those in the footy establishment for rotating the captaincy. During the top years of 2008-2011, turned out any of Riewoldt, Hayes, Goddard, Fisher or Montagna could have captained the club.

He's not much for footy strategy GT, but I think he was an excellent manager of people. Give it to Seb next year, then someone else in 2020.

Great post Drake, in fact upon reading it I was trying to think of the process required to support you in a run on the board!

Looking fwd to part 2
''Support you in a run on the board".....:openmouth:

Detective Drake on the board hey!...:think:
Well we know he's a naughty boy
but is he the messiah?.....;)

Looking forward to your solution based part 2 ol boy!
Your insight and eloquence has added to the forum tapestry...
In other words, You the Man Mofo!.....:smirk:

I think you make a great point about how he overrated our players. I think that underlines an important issue here - either he can't recognise talent, or the talent isn't developing properly under his guidance.

Or maybe a mixture of both.

Either way he has to go. This season has been a debacle - usually 4 wins would get you last but there just happens to be two teams even worse than us at the moment. I just can't see any way we can keep Richo going into next year - we need to start improving and getting real about our list and the direction of the club.

One thing I was thinking about - probably we've had one good game this year, the Carlton game. (Even the Melbourne game we nearly threw away a 5 goal lead in the last 5 minutes.) So including pre-season we've had one good game in about 24 matches. That's unbelievably bad.

I think you make a great point about how he overrated our players. I think that underlines an important issue here - either he can't recognise talent, or the talent isn't developing properly under his guidance.

Or maybe a mixture of both.

Either way he has to go. This season has been a debacle - usually 4 wins would get you last but there just happens to be two teams even worse than us at the moment. I just can't see any way we can keep Richo going into next year - we need to start improving and getting real about our list and the direction of the club.

One thing I was thinking about - probably we've had one good game this year, the Carlton game. (Even the Melbourne game we nearly threw away a 5 goal lead in the last 5 minutes.) So including pre-season we've had one good game in about 24 matches. That's unbelievably bad.

Not sure on anybody else, but I am counting the Melbourne game as one of our 'good' games this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back