No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

yes, he hadn't his style much at all in the many years he coached. dour defensive.

at Freo he should have changed. 4-5 grand finals and couldn't win one.
His sides kick straight and he wins 2.

Bounce of a ball he wins 3.

Not sure you can blame the bloke for any of those losses.

But carry on. Hopefully it helps you deal with these things better by blaming Ross.

It'll be fascinating to see who of the guys on the fringes or who aren't cemented in the 22 become mainstays of his team.
There'll certainly be a few that were previously given games that will struggle under Ross and his demanding game style.
I reckon he'll love Hayes and Owens....

So our process goes like this.

1) Players and Ross have a reunion about 6 weeks ago
2) Basset receives review a month ago and like a cat with a Rat(ts) tortures him until last Friday.
3) We look at nobody but RL
4) 4 hour meeting on Monday
5) Another meeting, this time at the club, yesterday.
6) Announcement looks more than likely that RL has accepted the role.

It was not a process of casting the net widely for a prospective coach, it was only ever going to be an experienced coach, so only Beveridge, Hinkley, etc may have been targeted if their man had not come on board.

Is it right or wrong? Depends on your perspective. I have hope again but this club and its supporters has a messiah complex and there is an element of that.

I feel it is slightly different this time, it has been a pretty extensive review by Basset who seems a good operator. It was not the usual wishy washy St.Kilda board decision, it was direct and brutal, for as much as Ratten was not liked by many on here, the fan base generally really liked him.

The last point is, what is Lyons perspective? He is looking at probably his final shot at a coaching gig. He is not here to rebuild like at North, his goal would be to finally win a flag. If he flt the 'vibe' wasn't right and our 'ducks weren't in a row' like Essendon, he would not have even signalled he was interested.

If he thought the list was not capable of even making finals, I doubt he wastes his time. If he thought the structure was not in place in the footy department he would have walked. With Lenny, and Walsh coming on board, Finnis (good operator in my view) going, and Gallagher and Rath now under Walsh's control, with a President and board ruthless and determined, it seems that in RL's judgement we are putting in place the pieces for success.

And the facilities he walked back into was also marginally different to the ramshackle falling down joint he walked into 15 years ago.

Yep the old Ross Lyon plan was far superior. Long bomb to Riewoldt. In the case it goes to ground have the freakiest crumbing forward ever available to get it.
yes, lets not forget Ross lyon's plan an how we all hated it. remember the Sydney game? or how about how many points instead of goals we got in the grannys', kick to it Roo. etc or how about the trades, ? or the draft picks?

suddenly everyone has developed rose coloured glasses.

I’m hanging for the fluff presser and to see him in a polo.

Wont feel really real until then.

I reckon there is 0% chance that he will be wearing the hipster cap that Richo and Ratten used to wear all the time too.

Massive cringe factor that was, if you are too old for that fashion don't even try.

Well it looks like Lyon may be a thing, so I guess I will have to get over the way he left the club and reflect more on the success we had when he was at the helm. I would like to taste that success again so I might even have to forgive him. Tell ya what if het gets us a flag I will even send him a thank-you card. I mean I do remember the days when we consistently kept clubs to NO SCORE for whole quarters...geez that was good!
I' am the same. if he gets the job. (with no process, which is what he wanted). hope like hell there is criteria and set goals. kick more goals than points? ensure its not kick it max?

anyway, i might have to get rid of my dislike for him. i will wait and see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus, we are going to look like the bellends of the century if Ross wakes up tomorrow and thinks 'WTF am I doing?' and pulls out :(
or, he gets the job, and does exactly what he did at the Saints and Freo.

Does he have a Plan B?

I was thinking the same thing….

“Sorry guys, don’t think I have the passion after all.”

Or could it be some Machiavellian plan - revenge is a dish best served cold 😳😬?
lets hope that ross doesn't take the job for the money? Remember Blight?

. 4-5 grand finals and couldn't win one.

So what you are saying is that you prefer coaches who never get near to being in a Grand Final to one who almost won two.

And a coach who in his Grand Finals was competitive, except the GF replay when the Saints were physically shot.

HawthornAFL Fremantle Icon 2011.png
Fremantle
11.11 (77)8.14 (62)

So our process goes like this.

1) Players and Ross have a reunion about 6 weeks ago
2) Basset receives review a month ago and like a cat with a Rat(ts) tortures him until last Friday.
3) We look at nobody but RL
4) 4 hour meeting on Monday
5) Another meeting, this time at the club, yesterday.
6) Announcement looks more than likely that RL has accepted the role.

It was not a process of casting the net widely for a prospective coach, it was only ever going to be an experienced coach, so only Beveridge, Hinkley, etc may have been targeted if their man had not come on board.

Is it right or wrong? Depends on your perspective. I have hope again but this club and its supporters has a messiah complex and there is an element of that.

I feel it is slightly different this time, it has been a pretty extensive review by Basset who seems a good operator. It was not the usual wishy washy St.Kilda board decision, it was direct and brutal, for as much as Ratten was not liked by many on here, the fan base generally really liked him.

The last point is, what is Lyons perspective? He is looking at probably his final shot at a coaching gig. He is not here to rebuild like at North, his goal would be to finally win a flag. If he flt the 'vibe' wasn't right and our 'ducks weren't in a row' like Essendon, he would not have even signalled he was interested.

If he thought the list was not capable of even making finals, I doubt he wastes his time. If he thought the structure was not in place in the footy department he would have walked. With Lenny, and Walsh coming on board, Finnis (good operator in my view) going, and Gallagher and Rath now under Walsh's control, with a President and board ruthless and determined, it seems that in RL's judgement we are putting in place the pieces for success.

And the facilities he walked back into was also marginally different to the ramshackle falling down joint he walked into 15 years ago.

I was astounded by Noble and his input into this. Came out of the review did lots of media during trade week and gave us nothing.. not even a sniff. We all had no idea what was to come... really interesting bloke, he could be an asset to a football club in the right position.

-

I' am the same. if he gets the job. (with no process, which is what he wanted). hope like hell there is criteria and set goals. kick more goals than points? ensure its not kick it max?

anyway, i might have to get rid of my dislike for him. i will wait and see.

He's going to be great

I promise

yes, lets not forget Ross lyon's plan an how we all hated it. remember the Sydney game? or how about how many points instead of goals we got in the grannys', kick to it Roo. etc or how about the trades, ? or the draft picks?

suddenly everyone has developed rose coloured glasses.
I think you have developed revisionism. For all the supposed 'defensive' structure of Lyon we constantly kicked 15 goals plus a game. It was 'frontal pressure' that turned the ball over in the front half with the likes of Milne and Scnieds got to work.

Kick it to Roo :rolleyes:. Absolutely clueless. have a chat with bj one day and ask him why they went to Roo so often. Actually don't bother, I will tell you. Goddard said that with the split second you had the ball, and looked up Roo would ALWAYS be on a lead and presenting, ALWAYS. You see Riewoldt is one of the greatest ever footballers in AFL history. His leading, his tank, his arc running was elite. he would blow up defenders, and he would just run run run, so when you blithely say it was 'kick it to Roo' you have little idea what you are on about.

Points instead of goals in a Grand Final, not sure if your are seriously suggesting it is the coaches fault that Schnieder misses running into an open goal, or it is his fault they bottled it in front of goal, that is purely on the players.

Might want to have a little think about your posts before you make a dill of yourself.. Oh and my rose coloured glasses was going to the football week in week out knowing we would win, knowing we would make finals, you must really have enjoyed the mediocrity of the last decade.

Kind of weird how the media, Bomber fans, etc, were all about Ross Lyon for the gig at Bombers, but now it's St Kilda.. we must be crazy

I'm enjoying the hate. Hope it continues. Love it. Wish we had a Stevie Baker or two and a few pesky goal sneaks to add to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back