Opinion #standdowneddie?

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't mean he has to suck it up when in this instance (IMO) he is not mooning all and sundry.

I know it means nothing but personally I will be very disappointed if he lets the "bastards" win this one.

A lot of politics at play at the moment and besides some of his gaffs Eddie was always a magnificent Politician.

He needs to step up whatever that may entail.

Yes, let's just ignore the fact he brought it on himself by being a total dumbarse shall we.

It doesn't mean he has to suck it up when in this instance (IMO) he is not mooning all and sundry.

I know it means nothing but personally I will be very disappointed if he lets the "bastards" win this one.

A lot of politics at play at the moment and besides some of his gaffs Eddie was always a magnificent Politician.

He needs to step up whatever that may entail.

The mooning came when he plucked Gubby out of GWS knowing there was a shadow hanging over him, assuming like always that obstacles were for normal people, obstacles like internal dynamics, people management, proper process, and even external integrity investigations. Words that have and never have had meaning for Eddie McGuire. He is famously a man who believes conflict of interest is for other people. Who believed he could run a large complex corporate entity in Channel 9 like an overgrown footy club, and treat seasoned professionals like footy player mates to be "boned" and "unboned" at whim of his digestion. Now the chickens come home to roost.

I dont give a flying * if Gubby is or is not suspended. This stinks to high heaven, whatever the findings.

The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

What are our standards anymore? When do we stop walking?

So maybe you are right. But maybe the bastards have one coming.

If even half of what she's written is true, then it more than vindicates my position on this. Damning to say the least!

When your position is vindicated for certain...........I will share with you another perspective.

Sometimes "positions" are not always Black & White.

I like your resolve wicksy (even if I don't agree) but don't get sucked in...........like I said a lot of politics at play in this one.

The trouble with Caro is

She is not always wrong.

Hero or villain?

Reports on the clen brothers taking contaminated coke, yeah thumbs up caro (despite AFL,club or players never confirming)

Pots Eddie over appointing gubby under investigation, boo she's a grub.

Pots hird, yeah go Caro.

Bottom line she's a gossip columnist, her gig is to seek and report scandal.

But our reaction to it reflects our own confirmation bias.

The mooning came when he plucked Gubby out of GWS knowing there was a shadow hanging over him, assuming like always that obstacles were for normal people, obstacles like internal dynamics, people management, proper process, and even external integrity investigations. Words that have and never have had meaning for Eddie McGuire. He is famously a man who believes conflict of interest is for other people. Who believed he could run a large complex corporate entity in Channel 9 like an overgrown footy club, and treat seasoned professionals like footy player mates to be "boned" and "unboned" at whim of his digestion. Now the chickens come home to roost.

I dont give a flying **** if Gubby is or is not suspended. This stinks to high heaven, whatever the findings.

Obviously my moral compass is broken on this one Bad Horse. Maggie5 said the bolded sentence above to me recently also.

Finding it hard to add anything meaningful at the moment on this forum. Like they say "it's not you its me"

By the way I pass judgement on things that I know about not from articles written in the newspapers.

We all want a prosperous football team to follow.........IMO we are a long way off.

Floreat Pica

CFC2010

Last edited:
Hero or villain?

Reports on the clen brothers taking contaminated coke, yeah thumbs up caro (despite AFL,club or players never confirming)

Pots Eddie over appointing gubby under investigation, boo she's a grub.

Pots hird, yeah go Caro.

Bottom line she's a gossip columnist, her gig is to seek and report scandal.

But our reaction to it reflects our own confirmation bias.
Agree people just click to their bias.
I'm biased I've never liked her regardless

IMG_0661.GIF

#standbyeddie

Gubby is shaking things up and clearing the decks for 1 thing and one thing only...

A Collingwood Premiership Assault.

As someone who has dealt with a Narsosistic ex for over 12 years... and still am... i for one am very skeptical about this "don't blame the woman" line that has been plastered through the press.

I'll happily reserve judgement untill the facts are discussed between adults.

Until then, keep on task Gubby.

And so far Eddies appointment of Gubby has proved nothing more than he wants a Premiership assault for our club.

#standbyeddie

Obviously my moral compass is broken on this one Bad Horse. Maggie5 said the bolded sentence above to me recently also.

Finding it hard to add anything meaningful at the moment on this forum. Like they say "it's not you its me"

By the way I pass judgement on things that I know about not from articles written in the newspapers.

We all want a prosperous football team to follow.........IMO we are a long way off.

Floreat Pica

CFC2010

I don't think your moral compass is broken, I think just both are aspects of the same equation. I just think we ignore this part at our peril. In the end you have to stand for something, and what others do to you isnt the alpha and omega of your choice. You may not be master of your own destiny, but you are captain of your own soul. You still get to choose.

Life though is rarely as binary as we would wish it.

I too want a football club I can be proud of. I'm not so sure we have the right people there right now. Not because they are incapable of it, but I think the weaknesses of individuals are being magnified not compensated due to our culture.

In the great scheme of things though, its a second order problem. I will still cheer, barrack, spend some money, laugh, cry, and hope whatever the facts may say, because in the end this is an escape for me, it's about finding fun and I'll find that even if its a little less enthusiastic than in past times.

I have walked paths darker than should be walked for far too long. I'm tired, but I also have little time for bullshit as a result. From our club I smell a strong scent of bullshit. It repulses me. It disappoints me. I'm not angry, sad, or vindictive like our friend Caro. I'm just disappointed, but its a relatively mild disappointment. Mostly it means I concentrate on other things, things that feed whatever positive and good there is in me because I know how much that matters from bitter experience. But in the moments I wonder if things might be better if done differently, even a Caro can provide nuggets of insight through the distorting lens of her own malice. The trick is not to lose sight of her limitations.

Re Caro's article, I take some comfort that it indicates the Board are unhappy and are standing up to Eddie. If so, that is a good thing. Maybe we can start to fix this mess when good people stand up.

I am not anti-Eddie. I love the man most of the time! But the mistakes and mis-judgements are mounting. Our club is greater than one - even legendary - individual.

Floreat Pica

CFC2010
I am sorry if you took offence, wasn't meant that way.

I dont give a flying **** if Gubby is or is not suspended. This stinks to high heaven, whatever the findings.

Eddie is arrogant and getting desperate. When you get those two combinations coming together you can get some very bad decision making. Gubby, the womans footy team and netball side all appear to have been rushed. Starting up two new teams involves large cash outlays, I get the womans team but netaball makes no sense.

Members were not even consulted until after the event when they copped a back lash and then did their survey. Sort of arse about really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#standbyeddie

Gubby is shaking things up and clearing the decks for 1 thing and one thing only...

A Collingwood Premiership Assault.

As someone who has dealt with a Narsosistic ex for over 12 years... and still am... i for one am very skeptical about this "don't blame the woman" line that has been plastered through the press.

I'll happily reserve judgement untill the facts are discussed between adults.

Until then, keep on task Gubby.

And so far Eddies appointment of Gubby has proved nothing more than he wants a Premiership assault for our club.

#standbyeddie

That's all well and good...but if Gubby cops a long suspension then it's a disaster really.

After 3 years of missing finals, I understand a clean-up may have been required. But it seems Gubby has come in, made mass sackings and then may be out again within months...leaving the list flimsy and also uneasy. I get the feeling there is a bit of unrest.

IF Gubby cops more than 12 months would not be surprised that Roos joins as Head of Football. This may be part way through 2017 to give him the U.S. time he promised Tammy.

Waldron has been banging on about Roos to Collingwood in some capacity and it fits on a number of levels.

After handing over to Longmire, Roos ran the Swans' Academy (supposedly $600k pa) in conjunction with leadership speaking gigs (rack rate $15k per speech). When Swans halved his Academy pay he sought more money and from memory ramped up his media work.

Roos likes cash and acclaim. He and Perty are very close mates. His coaching approach at Melbourne in years 2 and 3 was more the Alex Ferguson manager approach (as was David Parkin in later years). Roos is also a big supporter of female sports teams. All of this nicely transitions to a very powerful Head of Football role.

2018 could easily see Dew as coach with Roos football boss. Take it to the bank? Not yet. But I am hovering around the building society.

Serious question-

As this is the first time Eddie has been under some pressure is there anyone out there seen as a potential replacement?

Serious question-

As this is the first time Eddie has been under some pressure is there anyone out there seen as a potential replacement?

Yes it is and rightly so. The succession plan is a bust, his mouth keeps getting him and by association, the club in the news for all the wrong reasons and now his captains pick has shown a lack of respect for due process.

There are only rumors at the moment about who might step forward. I am not game to repeat it as its unfair to the person if not true.

Serious question-

Ant currently there is no one as there has not been an environment where the possibility of change at this level has been considered. I have an answer though. How about Edward McGuire as the "new" pres. This maybe the epiphany he needs to grow as an individual. His ego is legendary as is his self created "back yard brawler from Broady" persona. This has carried him to great heights but possibly as he enters his 50's he is due for an upgrade and becomes a statesmen rather than a pugilist ? I actually have faith in him in regards to being able to become self enlightened. This is a defining moment not only for him as pres for the Pies but as an individual in the public spotlight. If he accepts it is time to move on from his current guise (and schtick) he has so many massive positives that he is still the one for us. The starting of this is accepting that the current situation is not the structure for success (immediate or sustained). There will be some loss of pride in the short term but the upside would be significant. We can only hope.

Ant currently there is no one as there has not been an environment where the possibility of change at this level has been considered. I have an answer though. How about Edward McGuire as the "new" pres. This maybe the epiphany he needs to grow as an individual. His ego is legendary as is his self created "back yard brawler from Broady" persona. This has carried him to great heights but possibly as he enters his 50's he is due for an upgrade and becomes a statesmen rather than a pugilist ? I actually have faith in him in regards to being able to become self enlightened. This is a defining moment not only for him as pres for the Pies but as an individual in the public spotlight. If he accepts it is time to move on from his current guise (and schtick) he has so many massive positives that he is still the one for us. The starting of this is accepting that the current situation is not the structure for success (immediate or sustained). There will be some loss of pride in the short term but the upside would be significant. We can only hope.

Ed is a media personality first and Collingwood president second. This will always be the case and is the main reason he will never move on from his current persona. IMO, the club is fast approaching a point at which his tenure as president must end.

Ed is a media personality first and Collingwood president second. This will always be the case and is the main reason he will never move on from his current persona. IMO, the club is fast approaching a point at which his tenure as president must end.
I have no faith in Eddie reforming. He can only operate in one way. It suited the Club with the rebuild but no longer. Eddie can only function in the strongman fashion and is no longer suited to take the Club forward. At a recent social function of Collingwood supporters I found the support for Eddie had evaporated, his goodwill had been used up. They felt estranged from their own club and did not want to see Eddie on the front pages anymore. I was very surprised.

His sexism and racism is an embarrassment now and he is no longer seen as 'good old Eddie'. But their beef was still mainly the transition issues with Buckley, there is still such strong feeling out there. The appointment of Grubby Allan was universally loathed and treatment of Balme criticised. Caro will be a thorn in his side but only as many of us are disillusioned with his leadership style and decisions. Time to move on, so we can acknowledge his good works, but I'm afraid it is going to be a drawn out battle and this is going to mar his legacy.

Caro has always had issues with drugs in footy and all the people involved in it. In reality, she just can't handle different personalities.
Caro is just trying to make Eddie accountable. It is something the Board should be doing. They are as weak as piss.

May I once again applaud the level of melt.
It's quite amazing, an article not complimentary.....

inevitable melt big time.

Eds tenure is a legitimate point but on an article?

Let's see how it plays out, this issue of Mr Allen is a GWS issue and a Gubby matter. We get caught up because he's employed by us. He goes, he's replaced.
It's not the end of Collingwood.

We improve win games, it will all be a memory.

Should the club checked on the Gubbiness? Yes, but if the judgment was it was a matter of smaller consequence ok that's what's happened. Let's see the result than worry and hand wring about her royal meanness Ms Wilson.

May I once again applaud the level of melt.
It's quite amazing, an article not complimentary.....

inevitable melt big time.

Eds tenure is a legitimate point but on an article?

Let's see how it plays out, this issue of Mr Allen is a GWS issue and a Gubby matter. We get caught up because he's employed by us. He goes, he's replaced.
It's not the end of Collingwood.

We improve win games, it will all be a memory.

Should the club checked on the Gubbiness? Yes, but if the judgment was it was a matter of smaller consequence ok that's what's happened. Let's see the result than worry and hand wring about her royal meanness Ms Wilson.

Saintly I admire your optimism. But I reckon I have read from you IF we win it all changes about 100 times now. You don't just magically turn up and fortunes change. Actions need to change first.

What happens if we don't win? and What is in place to turn things around?

Surely with all the smoke around you can atleast conceed things might not be as rosey at the club as you seemed to think towards the end of the season. Are you telling me you are still not the least bit concerned.

I don't know Ed, but I reckon he is a very capable operator and have a lot of respect for what he's achieved.

He does strike me as the kind of person who, if he were reading this thread, his head would go Beetroot red and launch some rant about "internet carpers". He seems to be the type to take things personally.

I reckon there are four different types of Collingwood supporter involved ...

(1) There are those types who simply dislike Ed and don't need much of a sniff to give him a whack. For them it **is** personal.

(2) There are those who assess a situation on merit, and whack him when he deserves it, but do the 'side-by-side thing' when he doesn't. But even when Ed does a good job, those folks would still prefer that Ed had some competition for his spot.

(3) There are those who don't have an opinion.

(4) There are those who are Ed disciples and would happily go to war for him.

I don't think there'd be too many in the (3) camp - Ed is such a polarising figure.

Camp (4) are scarey .. I've encountered a few in my time. I reckon camps (4) and (1) roughly balance each other out there'd be around the same number of people in each.

I think most folks are in the second camp. I am

Remove this Banner Ad

Back