Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Armchair Endzone Minor Comp Winner Armchair Endzone Participant
Oct 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Everton
We'll get some write ups here about the state game, how people might think it will pan out etc.

I'm asking for a volunteer or 2 to do a write up on the state squad or a preview of the game. If you get the time post it here. Many thanks to the SANFL board, who will be doing a write up on their squad and posting it here, thanks to Ford Fairlane, in particular, for organising this. As well as the posters that will do it, but I'll thank them later, so as not to put any pressure on them.

OK, so feel free to write up about the game, provide some friendly banter for our SANFL posters and let's look forward to a great game and god result for the WAFL.

Cheers all. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

State Squad for the SANFL game:

Claremont - Chad Jones, Ian Richardson, James Thomson, Michael Warren
East Fremantle - Kyle Hardingham, Daniel Dalby, Anthony Kyanga, Rob Young
East Perth - Luke Webster (vice captain), Craig Wulff, Trevor Oliver
Peel Thunder- Simon Rosa, Daniel Haines, Danny Chartres, Kain Robins
Perth - Ross Young, Scott Siekierka, Matthew Moody, Aaron Zucconi, Matthew Ferguson, Jarryd Kayler-Thompson
South Fremantle - Peter Bell (captain), Jeff Farmer, Jaymie Graham, Toby McGrath
Subiaco - Shaun Hildebrandt, Brad Smith, Ben Keevers, Aiden Parker
Swan Districts - Lewis Jetta, Brett Wolfenden, Brett Robinson
West Perth - Jason Salecic, Andrew Strijk, Brent LeCras

Thanks to Thunderstruck on the SANFL board for the following write up and I'm looking forward to raboyle's write up, they are quite a treat on the SANFL board.:D Thanks TS and raboyle. :thumbsu:

Posted by ThunderStruck:

SANFL News
18 May 2009

2009 WEST END STATE TEAM

Ryan Williams*

Brett Backwell

Ty Allen

Luke Panozzo

Daniel Meyer

Brant Chambers

Tristan Gum

Jade Sheedy

Craig Evans

Brodie Martin

Chris Schmidt

Ryan Ferguson

Clint Alleway

James Allan

Matthew Wright

Damon White

Ryan William

Brad Dabrowski

Leigh Treeby

Brett Zorzi

Jeremy Clayton

Corey AhChee

Craig Parry

* Although originally selected for the State Team, Paul Thomas has withdrawn due to injury (a fractured finger). Williams has taken the position in the team.

The State Game will be played against WA at Medibank Stadium (Perth) on Saturday, May 23.

ABC TV will broadcast the match from 2pm.

Local radio station LifeFM will be travelling to Perth to broadcast the match. Its broadcast starts at 1.30pm (SA time).

My god. What a disgraceful side selected, one representative from BY FAR the best side going around atm is an absolute joke. In previous years the Central selections dominated the team and the whole reason why we won state games was because half the midfield consisted of solid dogs players including the Gowans twins which IMO are absolutely VITAL in any side that wants a mental edge. They may not be the quickest players going around they are amongst the smartest going around. They add hardness around the footy and make other teamates walk taller. No Thomas is unfortunate due to the finger injury but my god the players missing.

Previous state sides have had the likes of:

J.Gowans
C.Gowans
M.Slade
C.O'Sullivan
P.Thomas
D.Schell

Very very experienced state players with hard bodies. That's how we won our state games, we won from a careful blend of strong bodies and quicker midfielders and a few good tall forwards. This current team may be quicker but IMO lacks a lot of experience, body size around the centre square and that BOND that existed between the Centrals blokes. I may sound biased here and a bit of a whinger but I honestly believe we are really picking a much weaker side than we could have. If a full strength Centrals side played that state side they would beat them more often than not. No kid.

The Sturt players selected though are gooduns and looking forward to seeing how they go.

WA side looks good, better than their last one I would think and I wouldn't be surprised if we lost with our team. But I will tip us, still lots of good players in their despite the Centrals losses. SA by 11 points.

OK, here is the 26 man squad, with jumper presentations to be tomorrow night at Leederville:

2009 WAFL STATE SQUAD
Jetta, Lewis - Swan Districts
Salecic, Jason - West Perth
Young, Ross - Perth
Keevers, Ben - Subiaco
Richardson, Ian - Claremont
Hildebrandt, Shaun - Subiaco
Wolfenden, Brett - Swan Districts
Robinson, Brett - Swan Districts
Parker, Aiden - Subiaco
Bell, Peter (c) - South Fremantle
Rosa, Simon - Peel Thunder
Oliver, Trevor - East Perth
Strijk, Andrew - West Perth
Jones, Chad - Claremont
McGrath, Toby - South Fremantle
Chartres, Danny - Peel Thunder
Kayler-Thompson, Jarryd - Perth
LeCras, Brent - West Perth
Dalby, Daniel - East Fremantle
Rumble, Darren - Subiaco
Farmer, Jeff - South Fremantle
Hardingham, Kyle - East Fremantle
Robins, Kain - Peel Thunder
Webster, Luke (vc) - East Perth
Young, Robert - East Fremantle
Jaymie, Graham - South Fremantle

Obviously Graham is going to ruck, with support from....Young? Thoughts on the team makeup? Not sure we have enough tough nuts around the ball?

If you're going, don't forget the game starts at 12:40pm WST. A combined WAFL team will take on an under 20s? team at 3:40pm, following the state game. There will also be a curtain raiser at 10am, just can't remember those teams.

STATE MATCH 2009 -- Teams & Broadcasters

The Haydn Bunton Junior Cup
WESTERN AUSTRALIA vs. SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Medibank Stadium, Leederville @ 12:40pm WA time, 2:10 SA time

*/** -- denotes captain/vice-captain

F K. Robins (PT) C. Jones (C) J. Farmer (SF)
B R. Williams (CD) C. AhChee (PA) C. Schmidt (WA)
HF P. Bell* (SF) B. LeCras (WP) I. Richardson (C)
HB L. Panozzo (G) D. White** (NA) D. Meyer (G)
C J. Kayler-Thompson (P) Rs. Young (P) B. Wolfenden (SD)
C B. Martin (St) J. Allan (NA) L. Treeby (W-WT)
HB L. Webster** (EP) A. Parker (Sub) T. McGrath (SF)
HF B. Backwell (G) C. Alleway (NA) T. Gum (St)
B B. Keevers (Sub) D. Rumble (Sub) D. Dalby (EF)
F M. Wright (NA) B. Chambers (St) R. Ferguson (WA)
1R J. Graham (SF) S. Rosa (PT) B. Robinson (SD)
1R B. Dabrowski (W-WT) J. Sheedy* (St) J. Clayton (PA)

WAFL int (from): Rob Young (EF), S. Hildebrandt (Sub), A. Strijk (WP), K. Hardingham (EF), J. Salecic (WP), T. Oliver (EP), L. Jetta (SD), D. Chatres (PT).
SANFL int: T. Allen (G), B. Zorzi (NW), C. Parry (SA), C. Evans (St).

TV & Radio Broadcasters
ABC TV broadcasting live into SA at 2pm, delayed telecast in WA at 2pm WST.
Perth Information Radio 6RPH 990am and Adelaide's LifeFM 107.9 will both broadcast live at 12noon WA and 1:30pm SA respectively.

Re: STATE MATCH 2009 -- Teams & Broadcasters

So where's this game going to be won? On paper both teams look fairly even, with good midfield running brigades, good forwards and decent backs.

On the wings for WA we have the accumulator, who can often over-possess (IMO), with the kid full of run, heart and courage who can butcher a few kicks. They're up against a smooth runner in Treeby, who didn't rack up high thirties possies, but would hurt you with a lot of the ones he got, and I must confess to not knowing much about Martin.

SAs forwards in Chambers (long time fan from when I used to watch SANFL on ABC2) and Alleway, who was starting to make his mark when I watched a few years ago, will be a handfull for Rumble and Parker. In the dry the Parker v Alleway match up would be the one that worries me most. Parker doesn't seem as mobile this year, in fact he's been running like he has sore knees, short steps, minimal impact. However, in the wet the likes of Keevers, Dalby and McGrath should spirit the ball away with Webster the man to set up play.

On the other hand WAs two key forwards don't inspire fear in my heart, although LeCras can make the most of his opportunities at ground level very well, but the crow eaters will know his game pretty well. Damon White at CHB is an interesting move, but from what I read on the SANFL web page it's been a masterstroke and few of us would have thought it up. I think Ah Chee would have his hands full on a leading Smith or Jones on a dry day, but the wet nullifies tall forwards a fair bit.

In the wet the likes of Richardson (look for another big game from him) and Farmer should have a field day. Throw in Bell at ground level, with Robinson and Wolfenden, plus L Jetta (if he plays) coming forward and there's a fleet footed brigade that should pose problems. Bell still gets a ton of the ball and uses it well, Robinson has been getting better and better over the past 4 weeks, as has McGrath.

Looking at the following divisions, they also look pretty even, with Graham and Dabrowski similar in heights, but Graham works around the ground so well, don't know what Dabrowski is like around the ground, croweaters how is he? Sheedy and Clayton are good runners with Clayton having more pace IIRC (croweaters, help me out here), while Rosa is a steady runner and Robinson will run all day but he has more burst speed and will break the lines.

Other WAFL and SANFL supporters please feel free to add your bit and correct me where I am wrong, but I am looking forward to this game and expect a tight tussle with a final margin of 10-20 points in it. Hope it's a good one for all to see. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

And cheers raboyle for doing the teams for us.:thumbsu:

Dumb move not to let Brad Smith play this week, should have held his case over untill next week, all this does is penalize W.A and give Subi a one game discount
Wake up WAFL!

Jeremy Clayton is a consistent best on ground performer for Port, he will be a pain in the arse. Brant Chambers booted 11 goals two weeks ago for Sturt against the Eagles, a partnership with Clint Alleway will a potent combo.

And there's a reason they call Brett Backwell 'mouse'... he's slippery.

Key players for SA to look out for:

Chambers - he is the key up forward, if the SA mids can get it in long to Chambo, any defender will have a nightmare. He is big, strong and can take strong marks either one on one or on the lead and is a very accurate and long kick. WA full back will need to be on high alert.

Clayton - Gun little rover, works so hard, can b deadly with his creativity and kicks goals too. Smart and always one to dominate on the big occasions. Will prob need to be tagged.

Parry - I believe this guy can really hurt in the ruck when on song, is agressive as they come and loves to throw his weight around. Lots of hitouts and gives centre square presence which is needed because the WA side has a stack of good midfielders, Bell namely one!! Hasn't been in his best form but stood up in the past two state games to really lead the way. He'll paste Graham if he gets a good run, much better ruck than Dabrowski who is not too bad himself.

Alleway - This guy has been a big player for us in state games before, he provides a dangerous lead up option at CHF and again like Chambers the WA defenders will need to be on song, because if the ball is coming in long, he is again a very good contested mark. On field leader, don't let him get his tail up.

Sheedy - the captain and rightly so, this bloke should have been playing AFL years ago but it is a bit too late for that now. Runs the lines, sets up a million forward thrusts and uses pace to his advantage. Probably likely to get 30+ touches and be one of the best on the the day, another WA will need to watch closely, you can't get him latitude, especially on the wings because he'll hit the forwards lace out more times than not....especially Chambers seeing that they play for the same club, they have a fairly good understanding.

AhChee - Another tall and another very experienced player in state games. Can be played as a key defender or forward if things aren't going right but is a marshall of defence. Excellent at spoiling and setting up plays from defence, probably the Scarlett of the SANFL if that is any comparison!

Backwell - Born state game player, this bloke always looks the best in this games where he can get space. Smart as hell around packs, never panics and disposal is general crisp. Runs to all the right spots to receive the footy and is a true blue rover. Usually when he plays well, the team plays well so is another of the midget brigade WA will need to watch out for. Probably my favourite player in the side along with Sheedy.

Allan - Super high possession winner and hard runner, could well be the leading stat getter on the ground. Will make up a dangerous 4 some with Backwell, Clayton and Sheedy, workrate is v high and don't give him space. Only negative is his skills are not as good as the other three, lacks hurt factor despite his high possession count.

Might get some more up l8er guys sorry!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jetta is not an AFL standard player and wont be drafted. Too soft and only ever wants to do the flashy stuff.

Kicked 3 goals, and the matchwinner but he will be lucky if he's picked up.

Jetta is not an AFL standard player and wont be drafted. Too soft and only ever wants to do the flashy stuff.

Kicked 3 goals, and the matchwinner but he will be lucky if he's picked up.

And I didn't even have to report that post to get you carded with that blasphemy! Sweet. :D

Not sure if you saw him tackling and chasing players in the fourth up and down the members wing? I guess that's flashy when you can do it as well as him. I was also talking to one of the assistant coaches from one of the clubs and they reckon that performance alone will get him drafted, high.

And I didn't even have to report that post to get you carded with that blasphemy! Sweet. :D

Not sure if you saw him tackling and chasing players in the fourth up and down the members wing? I guess that's flashy when you can do it as well as him. I was also talking to one of the assistant coaches from one of the clubs and they reckon that performance alone will get him drafted, high.

Swannies hes a knob forget about him.

I sat next to gary buckenara another hawks recruiter and peel colts and under 18 players at the game at the back of the stand.

Chris Luff is a top kid by the way.

But back on topic Buckenara said he is a certainty to be drafted.

First quarter was a fast start by WA, so much so that you wouldn't have thought we were kicking into a 4 goal cross breeze. Jetta with the first 2, the second a ripper. Then the Brant Chambers show rolled into town, absolutely tearing Rumble apart. Anything that came near was grasped in an iron grip or WA players made sure he didn't get near it, illegally according to the umpires. Towards the end of the first quarter is was 3 goals to 2, and I wondered if there had been a state game that had only 1 goal scorer from each team at quarter time. Then Craig Evans ran into an open goal and killed my musings over that quirky piece of information.

Second quarter and SA started 2 goals up and then you saw the value of the breeze with a couple of long kicks by WA resulting in getting the scores back level. Farmer was starting to work strongly and Chambers still posed problems so, in a match winning move, IMO, Hardingham was swung on to Chambers, who kicked only 1 or 2 more goals for the rest of the game. Parry and Graham were having an interesting battle with Parry having a bigger leap and winning knocks but Graham was dropping into defence and providing extra help. Lewis Jetta continued to show glimpses of class, with very clever kicks around the corner to team mates or running at the defence and freeing up other runners.

Third quarter saw SA start 12 points behind, but within 6 minutes they had eroded that difference and at the 8:30 mark they were a goal to the good and Ty Allen was thumping his chest and telling a couple of WA players that they might as well have a shower, get warm and clean up for the dinner dance later that night. Then it became an arm wrestle, much like the previous half, 1 team would get a quick start then the other would peg them back and, if they were kicking with the breeze, get a couple of goals in front. Farmer, Bell and Graham started working really well together, as did Hardingham, Dalby and McGrath. Hardingham was testing Chambers tank and started taking him on a few dashes up the oval, although this may have purely been to keep warm. :D Did I say how cold it was out there? But still the kids (and some adults I know) couldn't resist an ice cream. :D SA ended up 9 points to the good after LeCras missed a shot on the siren he should have kicked. But still we were close enough I thought.

Last quarter starts with SA getting the first couple of shots at goal with White, I think, kicking a sausage roll. After about 5 minutes the resident coaches started telling the players to kick long. :rolleyes: WA kicked the next couple to get 7 points in front at about the 10-12 minute mark and it stayed fluctuating between 1 and 7 points for the remaining 20 minutes. Needless to say the cigarettes were being lit up at an alarming rate in the outer during this time and I think some of the players were reading the smoke signals, so they started to apply themselves. Graham and Parry were going at each other like a couple of mountain goats fighting over a bevy of females and the action in the middle lifted another notch. Sheedy came into his own for SA, along with Backwell, Wright, Evans and Brodie Martin. Ah Chee was destroying everything he could get to and then pumping the ball 50m downfield, while Salecic and Backwell started there own personal war. Hildebrandt and Rosa came to the fore as the linkmen that WA needed and were pumping the ball back to the forwards. LeCras was the most dangerous forward but everytime WA got a goal, SA would get it back within 1-2 minutes. Then, at about the 25 minute mark Lewis Jetta quite obviously overdosed on caffeine and, like hammy on over the hedge, everyone stood still while he showed the ball this way and taht way and waltzed through the midfield to kick the winning goal from about 55m out. It was aided by a great shepherd 5m in front of the line by LeCras, who did that well all day I might add. This put WA up by 7 and although Chambers, or was it White, kicked another great goal from around 45m at the other end SA couldn't get back.

All in all though, a fantastic game to watch and enjoy. Well done to both sides but you beauty to WA for winning!:D:thumbsu:

I'm pretty sure TheFonz is trying to keep him quiet..

Is a gun.

If he got more of the ball, would be very very very good. And damaging.

No, I reckon he's exactly the type of player most supporters like, doesn't get the 30+ possies and waste 10 of them, will get around 20 and hurt you with 15-18 of them. I mean really hurt you, not 20m backwards chip kicks but kicks that make defenders sweat.

Sorry Fonz if I misread what you are about and in that case I agree with you, he's not draftable material!:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back