Stats observations

Remove this Banner Ad

Just found by accident that 2 of the 4 lowest team clearance counts in a single game!

Melbourne v Fremantle, Rd1 1998 just 15.
Fremantle v Melbourne, Rd1 1998 just 5.

Surely that can't be right? Maybe they counted them differently

In a similar vein, the two lowest possession counts ever recorded are from this North Melbourne vs South Melbourne game in round 1, 1965:

I was thinking there might have been some difference with how stats were recorded in those early days, and that's a possibility given that 20 of the 40 lowest possession counts appeared in the 1965 and 1966 seasons, but that might also just be a function of the game being played differently in those days. But it's still difficult to account for the fact that North managed a full 30 possessions less than any team in history during a game in which their opponents collected what would otherwise have been the lowest possession count in history in its own right.

I tried to find some info on the game, and the records suggest that it was played in wet weather, but otherwise no other mention of anything unusual. Incredibly, Bob Skilton recorded 37 possessions in this game, meaning that he was responsible for about 11% of the total possessions recorded by both teams, which itself must be a record.

Was perusing AFL Tables, and checked Mitch Duncan's career stats, as i had been following his win tally, with Geelong's win over the Lions notching his 200th victory.

But i am quite staggered that in a 279 game career, he's played 26 games against Hawthorn, but if he plays the Blues this weekend, it will be just his 12th game against them. For such a long career, that's quite a discreptancy! Aside from players on Derby sides, doubt too many others would have numbers like that differential.

Was perusing AFL Tables, and checked Mitch Duncan's career stats, as i had been following his win tally, with Geelong's win over the Lions notching his 200th victory.

But i am quite staggered that in a 279 game career, he's played 26 games against Hawthorn, but if he plays the Blues this weekend, it will be just his 12th game against them. For such a long career, that's quite a discreptancy! Aside from players on Derby sides, doubt too many others would have numbers like that differential.

amazing numbers and amazing win rate.

goes to show the uneveness in the fixturing.

no doubt geelong and hawthorn have plated each other twice a year on a number of occasions since the renewed rivalry after 2008. they would've also met in finals a few times as well, whereas carlton haven't been around finals for a while.

perhaps he also missed the odd game or 2 v carlton thru injury when fixtured against them.

In a similar vein, the two lowest possession counts ever recorded are from this North Melbourne vs South Melbourne game in round 1, 1965:

I was thinking there might have been some difference with how stats were recorded in those early days, and that's a possibility given that 20 of the 40 lowest possession counts appeared in the 1965 and 1966 seasons, but that might also just be a function of the game being played differently in those days. But it's still difficult to account for the fact that North managed a full 30 possessions less than any team in history during a game in which their opponents collected what would otherwise have been the lowest possession count in history in its own right.

I tried to find some info on the game, and the records suggest that it was played in wet weather, but otherwise no other mention of anything unusual. Incredibly, Bob Skilton recorded 37 possessions in this game, meaning that he was responsible for about 11% of the total possessions recorded by both teams, which itself must be a record.

Almost certainly the methodology changed. I'm curious as to where AFL Tables etc. sourced their pre-1999 data (1999 being the year that Champion Data came on board).

I'm guessing the 1965 era stuff came from Footy Week. This particular issue below would probably contain the answer.

Footy Week.jpg

Interestingly, the Age report from the following day claims that Skilton had 35 kicks, so maybe they had their own statisticians? Or perhaps they were counting kick-ins from behinds...

Screenshot 2024-04-25 23.35.40.png

I managed to find an example of how a stats sheet looked in Footy Week during 1965. This is from the Round 13 game between Fitzroy and Footscray.

FW Stats.jpg

The numbers match up with what's on AFL Tables, which is no surprise. But what's fascinating to me is the data that's been left behind – stuff like kicking efficiency, handball efficiency, location of free kicks, stoppage counts, and entirely missed shots on goal.

To be fair, AFL Tables doesn't display any of those stats even for 2024 games, but it would certainly all be being kept by Champion Data, and all stored somewhere.

I love the little stories it tells though. Like how the Dogs received 20 free kicks inside half-forward but only managed 6 goals. Or how Ted Whitten had 18 disposals at 100% efficiency by hand and foot. Or you might think that Wayne Eastman was one of the best on ground given his 20 kicks, but only 40% of his kicks were effective.

This is stuff that needs to be kept and treasured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back