Traded Stefan Martin (2012-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Reviews: Part 3

Stefan Martin claimed the Alastair Lynch Trophy for 3rd place at this year’s Club Champion. While the hard working big man’s season was down on his Merrett-Murray winning 2015 season, he continued to impress throughout the year despite a number of injuries and setbacks including a head knock that made global headlines in Round 4 against the Gold Coast Suns. Martin surprised with a return the very next week. He amassed a career-high 51 hit outs in Round 7 against Port Adelaide, and averaged 16.8 disposals, 7.5 kicks and 27.9 hit outs across the season.

Coach’s notes:

Stef Martin finished 3rd in the 2016 best and fairest. He played 20 games for the season had 558 hit outs (7th in the AFL in number of hit-outs), had 81 marks around the ground. He’s one who again in his own words didn’t have an outstanding year but the games he did play well and Brisbane played well, he had an impact for us. Again he was dogged by injury. He recently had an operation in the off-season so hopefully can come back and have another big preseason for us. He was hampered through his training this year and didn’t spend much time on the training track, so for Stef to finish 3rd in our Merrett-Murray Medal this year off the back of that was a very good effort.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-12-16/on-the-rise-stefs-hope-for-2017

Although still in the rehab group he is enjoying a week down at Launceston with his teammates and in particular being able to once again do leg weights and speed work at training.

"It is like I am a first year [player] in that way so it is really exciting. [I'm] largely pain free [and] able to do everything, which is the important thing whereas I was really limited last year," Martin said.

Having turned 30 a little under a month ago he is well aware he is the only player in that age bracket on the Lions list.

It is a fact that underlines the youthful nature of the list but it also motivates Martin.

"I want to be part of a rising team," Martin said.

"I'm obviously a bit older now and can impart some things that I have learned to other guys and be part of a climb – I've been part of a losing team for 10 years – I want to be part of something exciting."

Hopefully we can manage him through 2017 a bit better than we did this year.

What l think is weird is that before May crunched Martin, he was producing big numbers similar to the year before. Directly after the incident and onwards to the end of the year he wasn't producing the same numbers. I dunno if he injured his knee in the same game but it is very coincidental. Imo, the down numbers were definitly a part, not all but a part, of the May incident.

It is a trap we must avoid: Martin
LIONS ruckman Stef Martin says Brisbane must address the wide gulf between their best and worst football heading into Sunday’s clash with St Kilda at Etihad Stadium. Brisbane have swung dramatically from breathtakingly brilliant to bumbling and then back again across the first two rounds.

Martin said the Lions needed to become more consistent and clinical if they wanted to beat teams like St Kilda who will be bolstered by the return of inspirational club great Nick Riewoldt from a knee injury. “I think our best is very good and our worst is bad so bridging that gap is important,’’ Martin said.

“Against Gold Coast where we were lucky enough to win, that game was played in waves. We need to stem the flow if there is a flow against us. “But it’s promising to see that our good stuff has been pretty good.

a639c874ec201a7b107b6c5e7aa0f70c

Free of the knee injury that dogged him last season and feeling “like a 25-year-old’’, Martin was a prime mover for the Lions in the stirring comeback against Essendon last Saturday night with his clearance work setting Brisbane in motion.

Despite his heroics that helped Brisbane turn a 42-point deficit in the second quarter into a two-point buffer in the last term, the Lions were unable to stop the Bombers kicking away late. Martin echoed the thoughts of senior coach Chris Fagan who said the Lions cannot settle for honourable losses if they hoped to be a force again. “It was really good for us to hear that because it is a trap you can fall into especially with a young group,’’ he said.

“As the leadership group discussed, we love that message. We go into every game this year aiming to win so we weren’t happy with losing that game, we thought we could have won.’’

Stef and Thomas are going to need some Jatz with all that ham.
Obviously going out with an actress has done little for Stef as an actor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stay or go? Your club's over-30s
The Lions have been in full rebuild mode for three years now and will again go to the draft with a fist full of picks. With just one player aged 29 or over, talent, rather than age, will determine who is culled at year's end.

Stefan Martin
Another strong season from the rejuvenated ruckman who has played all 17 games. Martin is contracted until the end of 2019 and still an integral team member. STAY

Who are the umpires' pets?
5. Stefan Martin – Brisbane Lions

Like other ruckmen we reviewed, Martin receives almost 67 per cent of his free kicks from ruck contests, with the majority occurring at boundary throw-ins.

He has a great ability to get to the front spot at the contest, meaning he is best positioned to receive any free kicks that may result from either intentional or clumsy contact.

When opponents realise they have been out-positioned and are behind, they often panic. This means they will initiate a hold or push Martin under the flight of the ball.

Martin also ensures umpires see any contact by subtly reinforcing it – but with the right amount of emphasis, he could never be criticised for staging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back