Toast Still the biggest

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Not sure if someone has mentioned this, but Robert Walls ways saying on SEN (I think yesterday) that Collingwood FC went to his grand children's school and were signing up kids as members for free. He implied that this is one of the ways Collingwood has used to boost their membership numbers.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We've been doing that for years. The member numbers are completely fabricated, but there could be discussions around whether other clubs do it to the level we do? What type of memberships are most prominent 11 game members v legends? And overall revenue?

My answers to those questions would be yes (scary for GC who might have less than 5k rusted on members), there'd be more lower level members than 5-6 years ago and revenue has dropped significantly, but the club now consolidates member revenue and gate receipts in its annual reports so it's difficult to tell how much we've dropped.

FWIW in terms of rusted on members I think we'd still be number 1 in Victoria with about 35-40k, but the club are treading a very fine line. I'm a 20 year AFL member and I haven't decided whether I'll continue next year because I'm struggling to justify the cost for 2018. If I decide to not go again I'll be back, but even contemplating not going around again was foreign to me only a few years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back