Studs/Sprigs up rule

Remove this Banner Ad

"Using boot studs in a manner likely to cause injury" is a very vague rule... which means the umpires can interpret it however they want.

Nothing to do with the actual studs tho, a toe kick to the knee would be worse
Sorry studs up i mean
Its the action not the studs . Studs up is just the reference used .
You have vertical body / legs coming back into a horizontal legs/foot that is braced is going to cause damage especially targeted from the waist down .

There is a reason its been outlawed in soccer for about 70 years

Ok. I've just seen the footage. In both Reiwoldt extends his leg effectively kicking out. I don't get the outrage. Jump normally you moron and it won't get paid.

Also look forward to the fine to Hardwick for commenting on umpiring decisions. Oh no, I forgot that he, Clarkson and Scott can do as they please but the moment a non-Vic coach opens their mouth, a please explain is in the mail.

This is exactly what the rule was for. Sheppard went off in agony from one of them and we're fortunate it didnt cause anything worse.

Contest the mark without putting your studs up to push an opponent out and you'll be fine. Simples.

Theyll need to be consistent with it now though or cop the flak.

Just watched it. He used his studs to shove a player out of the way. And injured him.

This is exactly what the rule was brought in to stop.
The one he got sheppard with was worse right in the side of the knee.
It was in a pack so no free but shep hobbled to the bench in a lot of pain .

3 studs up in one game ! MRP should really be looking at this

The one he got sheppard with was worse right in the side of the knee.
It was in a pack so no free but shep hobbled to the bench in a lot of pain .

3 studs up in one game ! MRP should really be looking at this

Reiwoldt's flopping/diving was way worse. The one against McGovern when he got a small shove, ran a further 2 steps and then dived forward was deplorable. Should be playing soccer.

My main objection to how it was used against Reiwoldt is the inconsistancy....9 times out of 10, the exact same action wouldn't be penalised.

I don't think how it was used is what the rule is in place for, but if it was applied consistantly, I'd be a lot less annoyed.

On SM-J530Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where are players supposed to put their feet if taking a speccie?

Lets go through all the Mark of the week contenders and see how many should be reversed now.

The AFL need to choose one way or the other.

I wouldnt be unhappy with just making a general rule that if you go studs first its a free.

If you look through contenders for mark of the year 90% of them are knee or shin first to get leverage... so its a genuine attempt.

If you're using studs you're effectively kicked someone out of the contest and risking harm to the opponent. I dont think that needs to be in our game.

So liam ryans one is probably one of the few that should be disallowed. Catapalted himself into gawn studs first lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's one way or the other. Using the boot studs when marking from behind has been used forever in the game of footy.

It either needs to be completely banned or it is allowed in those marking contests. There is no grey area. This is different to booting someone in the face.

Yes or no, and then it's easy. Interpretation is rubbish.

I thought the second of Reiwold's should have been paid simply as a push in the back. He used his boot to kick Barrass in the back and push him under the ball- there was absolutely no use of the boot to get elevation to take the mark. As can be seen by the fact his feet were back on terra firma when he got hands to the ball. Use a knee of a boot to get some elevation or maintain some elevation in a marking contest- all good, use it simply to push an opponent out of the contest- it is no different to using your hands except more likely to injure your opponent.
I think the intent of the rule was a) not to injure or potentially injure an opponent and b) not to use your boot to keep an opponent out of a marking contest.

Taking a breath and temporarily putting aside any bias against particular teams/players, the rule is clearly a knee-jerk reaction which is either worded or being applied incorrectly. Must be either clarified (front on contact only) or removed (just apply kicking in danger in future). One less rule.

For what it's worth I thought Jeremy Howe had more to complain about than Reiwoldt, but strange they singled him out yesterday, to me that speaks of discussions during the week and umpire's being aware/alert. And we know where that leads - rule of the week, inconsistencies across games etc etc

And before anyone highlights my GWS allegiance, I thought I saw Melbourne's Clayton Oliver do "a Toby Greene" a few weeks ago twice in one game and I don't think a free was paid. Toby would have been suspended probably, they are always 'alert' when he goes near the ball.

Welcome to AFL version 2019.

If you look at this one still, you may be led to believe that, try watching the video, and correct yourself again.

Heard this arguement today regarding Ryan's mark but the rule doesnt stipulate that if you start the mark off with your knees that it's then ok to use your feet at the end of the mark though.

It's clear as day Ryans feet end up in Gawn's face and that could result in an injury which the rule exactly states in point (d)

It's a stupid rule and was a stupid interpretation used by the umpire yesterday and also the one against Howe earlier in the year.

I'm not saying Ryans shouldnt be awarded as a mark but going by the rules written above then our umpires once again fail to show consistency to a rule that is garbage.

Nothing to do with the actual studs tho, a toe kick to the knee would be worse
Pretty sure it had something to do with the studs, how much getting hit with something else would hurt more is totally irrelevant

AFL have bowed to the crying of their September cash cow and are altering the interpretation of the rule now.

The incompetency of this organisation knows no limits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back