MRP / Trib. Suns Powell Suspended for Homophobic Slur

Remove this Banner Ad

Some personal stories time again, hopefully these don't get me an infraction and/or ban, some personal stories seem to have that effect on me for some reason.

Not long after I separated from my wife of 34 years at my instigation she told me that her sister said to her don't worry I think Jason is gay... IMO the X told me that on purpose as a dig at me, I just laughed. I said to her tell your sister that if that is meant to be derogatory that it is terribly Homophobic.... as there is nothing wrong with being gay.
I may of told this before (could have been a private convo) but of the 5 people in our group that have been going to the Lions for a number of years there is a lesbian couple, their sexuality has never been a topic of conversation except when she officially came out a number of years ago to her family... I spoke to her supportively, one of the couple I have known since she was born in 1987.

They eloped overseas early this year and got married as her family were not what you would call understanding.

Anyway the upshot of those anecdotes is that I feel Homophobic insults should be treated the same way as racial insults ie. not tolerated.

I don’t.

Sure educate him further but when no Lion took offence I don’t see what the big deal is.

No need to virtual signal all over me though for sharing a difference of opinion.

I’ve been called way worse on the field and couldn’t have cared less because I knew it was just banter and not true. What am I going to do; go home and cry myself to sleep over it?
I don’t see how I am virtue signalling, in my opinion there isn’t room for that sort of banter on the field, clearly you disagree which is your decision. I really don’t know how it can be seen as a bad thing to stamp it out though. The ‘back in my day’ crew seem to think just because everyone was a miserable prick to everyone around them back then then that is how it should always be

Hahaha that was the part that did it for you?? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

McIvor was breaking me down and Gadzorks dropped the straw that broke the camel's back.

I haven't been this inclined to nuke a thread since BRAB posted threads in the SFA.

My boomer friends are all ignorant for sure.

But not me.

My best efforts to reeducate them are in vain.

But thankfully the generations that have followed have ben awesome in their understanding of the world and how they interact with their peers.

You see it on here every day , the tolerance and understanding . I'm thankful for that.

I don’t.

Sure educate him further but when no Lion took offence I don’t see what the big deal is.

No need to virtual signal all over me though for sharing a difference of opinion.

I’ve been called way worse on the field and couldn’t have cared less because I knew it was just banter and not true. What am I going to do; go home and cry myself to sleep over it?

Disgusted Season 11 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

But not me.

But thankfully the generations that have followed have ben awesome in their understanding of the world and how they interact with their peers.

You see it on here every day , the tolerance and understanding . I'm thankful for that.
As a fellow boomer NICE sarcasm martinson, as a well known sarcastic smartarse I love it.

McIvor was breaking me down and Gadzorks dropped the straw that broke the camel's back.

I haven't been this inclined to nuke a thread since BRAB posted threads in the SFA.

Genuinely sorry for destroying you.

That's exactly what we are talking about not doing - using words to marginalize and offend.

Such a minefield.

Disagree that there isn't any excuse Rye. You've got a group of men born between late 80's and early 2000's who used these slurs or had them said to them throughout a lot of their school and footy life. A behaviour that was acceptable for 90% of their lives, now isn't. Not saying they shouldn't have some type of suspension and or fine but judging a wrong by today's standards and saying there is no excuse for it at all doesn't really add up.
I don't think casual homophobia has been acceptable for any part of Will Powell's 24 years

On one hand, I detest racism, sexism, and any form of hate speech & bullying.

On the other hand, the more politically incorrect and socially unacceptable the humour is, the more I enjoy it.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a fellow boomer NICE sarcasm martinson, as a well known sarcastic smartarse I love it.
I get pulled up for my views ,someone puts up a Simpsons gif that I don't comprehend and then the icing on the cake you call me out for sarcasm after I throw out an olive branch to the young social progressives.

Where is there left for an ignorant boomer to go.

The boomer who created the Simpsons is a traitor to his class.

Who will they pile on to once we all die ?

Oh wait I know . Their kids and grandkids for their wacky ideas and lack of respect for their elders.

But not me.

Everything I’ve read on this thread tells me it’s not age, it’s class and education

Words can’t hurt me but plastic flags can.
Great analogy Brab. In the '60's when I was a little kid standing in the outer on someone's empty beer cans in the pouring rain there was always a little old lady on the fence with an umbrella which she used to great effect on the opposition players when they rushed over the boundary line. More effective than her words.

Never forgot that . The players thought it was funny too.

Everything I’ve read on this thread tells me it’s not age, it’s class and education
On an unrelated issue (not nice ) I was asked to reflect how I reflect about the impact of religion on my early life.

It was quite confronting but ultimately I resolved that I was raised to be homophobic and a bigot.

It took a very serious mental health breakdown for me to stop and reassess who I was and confront some unresolved issues from the past before I rid myself of that baggage.

I try to see the good in all people, but I’m less tolerant and less reticent of the above than I used to be.

On an unrelated issue (not nice ) I was asked to reflect how I reflect about the impact of religion on my early life.

It was quite confronting but ultimately I resolved that I was raised to be homophobic and a bigot.

It took a very serious mental health breakdown for me to stop and reassess who I was and confront some unresolved issues from the past before I rid myself of that baggage.

I try to see the good in all people, but I’m less tolerant and less reticent of the above than I used to be.
It's a common theme WR.

I went through a huge anger stage for about 20 years after I came out of the system.

Interestingly I married someone who became deeply religious but in a giving way and have seen a lot of kindness and good and the capacity to plot your own path in a spiritual way.

But nah . The only real good to come out of it for me was that I was able to ultimately understand myself better. It took a while.

I don’t see how I am virtue signalling, in my opinion there isn’t room for that sort of banter on the field, clearly you disagree which is your decision. I really don’t know how it can be seen as a bad thing to stamp it out though. The ‘back in my day’ crew seem to think just because everyone was a miserable prick to everyone around them back then then that is how it should always be
I really don't see that there's any crew that's suggested that.

Everyone agrees it should be stamped out. The extent to which it exists is what's overrated imo. We've had 2 cases this year ,both suspended. Maybe there are others with no complaint. But I'd be very surprised if there are any more from hereon in.

I can understand not liking the Gold Coast as a place for whatever the personal reasons are but to take whatever the miniscule numbers of GC footy supporters think and label the place with philosophical bankruptcy whatever that is is too big a stretch for me.

The people there are the same as people anywhere as far as I can tell .
Nah I'm with Hollow Knight on this one. The Gold Coast is a weird place with a weird culture. I'm not surprised it seeps into issues like this.

Nah I'm with Hollow Knight on this one. The Gold Coast is a weird place with a weird culture. I'm not surprised it seeps into issues like this.

Disgusting comment Johnny. The Gold Coast is full of loving, caring people who would do anything to help another person.

Come hang out in Nerang for a week and feel the warmth of my people.

Disappointed in yet another attack on the Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back