Toast SUNS to play Port Adelaide in China in lucrative deal

Remove this Banner Ad

I was entirely against the idea and laughed when Port announced it, but if it's true that we're getting a huge revenue boost from it, then I'm all for it. 10 games on the coast is more than enough. One game in China, which will potentially grow crowds at home anyway, is worth the risk for three years. Just think: huge influx of Chinese tourists anyway, combined with the Suns actually playing a game in China, has the opportunity to sell our game to the tourists who come over here who might have otherwise not heard of it. That in itself is a smart investment.

Plus, with the money gained from selling a home game, we can invest that money into the club and grass roots footy around the GC.

I'm still not 100% sold on the idea but I'm waiting until all the details are released before overreacting like everyone on Facebook is.

The AFL control the purse strings and they already outlayed more cash this year for our high performance team and additional coaches. We were probably told it was time to repay the favour.

The AFL control the purse strings and they already outlayed more cash this year for our high performance team and additional coaches. We were probably told it was time to repay the favour.
That doesn't change anything I wrote though. It's benefits us hugely.

That doesn't change anything I wrote though. It's benefits us hugely.

No it doesn't change anything you wrote - I was just saying that we don't have the financial strength to tell the AFL we don't want to go as we rely on them to keep the doors open.

The 'money gained' for the club is likely to be paid by the AFL, not Port Adelaide. They are also the entity that pays a lot of our bills with their hand outs. The continued funding for future years may have been contingent on playing this game for the AFL. Therefore it may be a zero-sum game and I wouldn't expect to see more money available for club to invest in the football department.

Screw the lot of them. There getting paid big bucks to play AFL.
Hall should count his blessings he found form and never got delisted because the Aaron hall I've known before Rd 15 last year wasn't exactly a great player.

GCFC Digital - I know this is not your department. But we need to find out who is in charge of it.

We need to know dates. ASAP. So many people are planning to go over there, but will need as much notice as possible. Flights, accom, etc. How soon will we know?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay - First of all, do I still get free transport to the game?

Secondly, of course the Chinese are going to love us...Red and Gold, and ping pong, Chinese love them some ping pong, now imagine if its aerial! :eek::eek::eek:

I hope we have been smart enough for this to be a 3-5 year deal, as a single year plays into Ports hands as the team to back, 5 years Of us whipping there ass in the national colours would see Us as the standout favourite team.

building a fan base in China as unlikely as it seems could be the making of our club. Imagine the advertising rights $$$$$$$ if our games were shown in China.

I can here it now Galy Abbrot is my fravorite prayor

I know Im not totally for the idea but I mean...

69ed784abd1c107ef08b1014b4cfb16f

Slap a GC moniker on that guernsey and it is basically ours. I think Cochrane definitely knows what he is doing here

GCFC Digital - I know this is not your department. But we need to find out who is in charge of it.

We need to know dates. ASAP. So many people are planning to go over there, but will need as much notice as possible. Flights, accom, etc. How soon will we know?

At this stage we've expressed an interest to the AFL to play a game in China.
No dates have been locked in at this stage.

At this stage we've expressed an interest to the AFL to play a game in China.
No dates have been locked in at this stage.

Obviously this is all still speculative. But if it was to be confirmed in coming months, do you envisage dates being made available to the public/members before the complete AFL fixture is released?

As an American who's never been to Australia, I think this is really cool. Be watching it on the PC thousands of miles away in either case. Definitely hope they adjust the cost of your memberships to account for one fewer game, but this will still be a cool experience for all of us. Will be an interesting broadcast. Plus it will throw the boys out of their comfort zone to go play against a solid team in a weird environment off a long flight. Good growing experience.

This is massive for our brand, for our club and for the GC, make no mistake its far bigger long term than missing a home game. I have already tipped off my business associates in China and they are excited to come to the game

I approve this message highly. Can you ask them about whether the colours would entice them to favour the Suns?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back