Super Rugby Season 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Your kidding me? That defensive effort was something special. If you think that defending ruck after ruck after ruck on your goaline is easy, then you obviously have never played rugby before. That's a idiotic comment, don't get brainwashed by the Phil Waugh, he hates the Reds. At the game, and pretty much all those nearby me had pretty much conceded that the Tah's were going to score. Was really a special effort from the Reds, in years gone by, the Tahs' would've scored, the Reds are the real deal. Don't blame the Reds for that horrid second half.

The Tahs should be ashamed of themselves. The whole second half was played on the Reds tryline, yet they couldn't score. The fact that they were (blatantly) looking for the penalty try just shows how much of a toss Phil Waugh is (i'm not going to even get into his post-match comments).

Quade Cooper had his worst game in 2 years, yet we still won. His kicking nearly lost us the game. I also thought the replacement referee was disgraceful, wasted a good 15 minutes of rugby.

Horwill is an outstanding leader and player. Very similar to Jonathon Brown, just the way he leads the team and the way he plays. Beau Robinson and Will Genia had phenomenal games.

The only players that can hold their head high for the Tahs are Sekope Kepu and Benn Robinson. Sekope Kepu has been outstanding and would a lock for the backup THP position behind Slipper. His scrummaging is top rate (unlike Alexander) and is quite mobile.

Edit: s**t! Mitchell out for the World Cup! Horrible news. Happened right in front of me and it looked pretty bad. Certainly didn't think that he would miss out on the World Cup. Shattered.

I have played rugby all my life and watch most games every week. Top class teams train to defend off there line its really not that hard to defend when a team is just doing one off the ruck runs at the line. As for Copper he showed he can be valuable when put under pressure, all that razzle dazzle is all good and well, but in a WC as you get further in the tournament and teams started to tighten up he is going have to show a hell of a lot more direction for the Wallabies rather than the razzle dazzle stuff. As for the kicking thats just technique and it s something that can be fixed. Your obviously a one eyed Queenslander because for me as an outsider the leadership on both sides was terrible, for me Genia was the stand out player by a country mile and would be a much better leader than Horwill, as for Phil Waugh he suffers from small man syndrome. Thats a real shame for Drew Mitchell he has pretty much been the only shining light that has been coming out of the Tahs and one of the form wingers of the S15, big blow for the Wallabies

Kepu and Slipper will be an interesting contest for TH prop. They're both ahead of Alexander on this year's form certainly. Robinson has LH all to his own but Kepu and Slipper have had great seasons so far. Finally a slight bit of depth in props for the Wallabies.

Reds fully deserved to win that game. Had no ball in the 2nd half and while the Tahs refused to shift the ball past Tom Carter, the Reds showed great heart in keeping the Tahs out for so long. TPN going off again took away any slight advantage the Tahs had. Lineout turned to s**t and the scrum wasn't as dominant.

I agree that Kepu and Robinson were good but thought Timani was good while he was on and Dave Dennis played well while he was on. Big fan of his. Not many others deserve a mention.

I have played rugby all my life and watch most games every week. Top class teams train to defend off there line its really not that hard to defend when a team is just doing one off the ruck runs at the line. As for Copper he showed he can be valuable when put under pressure, all that razzle dazzle is all good and well, but in a WC as you get further in the tournament and teams started to tighten up he is going have to show a hell of a lot more direction for the Wallabies rather than the razzle dazzle stuff. As for the kicking thats just technique and it s something that can be fixed. Your obviously a one eyed Queenslander because for me as an outsider the leadership on both sides was terrible, for me Genia was the stand out player by a country mile and would be a much better leader than Horwill, as for Phil Waugh he suffers from small man syndrome. Thats a real shame for Drew Mitchell he has pretty much been the only shining light that has been coming out of the Tahs and one of the form wingers of the S15, big blow for the Wallabies

Dude, there is so much wrong with that post. Judging by that comment, I know for a fact you haven't played all that much rugby. Certainly not questioning your passion or love for the game, but when you say that defending one off rucks is not difficult, it's clearly obvious that you haven't played rugby at a high level. I don't want to come off as arrogant, but as Matt Burke said " you can't comprehend what happens out on a field, when you havent played". It's obvious that you don't understand the scope of what happened last night; what the Reds achieved last night was truly epic. To win a rugby game with 11% of possession is ridiculous. It's impossible. Looking back at it, I think this game will go down as one of the great Queensland victories.

Can I ask, what did James Horwill do wrong, leadership wise? What game were you watching? James Horwill played one of the games of his career, his organisation of the Reds defensive line and the amount of work he got through was amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if Horwill is chosen as Wallabies vice-captain. There's a reason why Horwill was chosen over Genia as Reds captain, and I can now see why Link chose to retain Horwill.

I thought that direction-wise, Cooper played a faultless game. Execution wasn't there, but he had the right idea. If Cooper tried to do his normal razzle dazzle, he would've gotten smashed. The way the Waraths swarmed Cooper at every opportunity, Cooper had no choice but to play a 'European game'.The fact is, a year ago Cooper would've attempted to run at the line and try create something. I'm glad that he chose to play a more kick-orientated game, he just had terrible execution. I would't worry about Cooper tbh, he's a more well-rounded player and last night showed.

Another point, why is Dean Mumm vice-captain? IMO he lost the Waratahs the match by taking the penalty. If the Waratahs continued to pile on the pressure, they would've scored, the Reds were on the verge of breaking and the penalty was a godsend. I actually couldn't believe that he chose to take the penalty.

You also can't doubt the leadership of Phil Waugh, sure he used un-attractive tactics and he might be an ungrateful bastard and a s**t player, but he's a great leader. I think the Tahs might be in big trouble if he leaves, he's the heart and soul of the club.

Dude, there is so much wrong with that post. Judging by that comment, I know for a fact you haven't played all that much rugby. Certainly not questioning your passion or love for the game, but when you say that defending one off rucks is not difficult, it's clearly obvious that you haven't played rugby at a high level. I don't want to come off as arrogant, but as Matt Burke said " you can't comprehend what happens out on a field, when you havent played". It's obvious that you don't understand the scope of what happened last night; what the Reds achieved last night was truly epic. To win a rugby game with 11% of possession is ridiculous. It's impossible. Looking back at it, I think this game will go down as one of the great Queensland victories.

Can I ask, what did James Horwill do wrong, leadership wise? What game were you watching? James Horwill played one of the games of his career, his organisation of the Reds defensive line and the amount of work he got through was amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if Horwill is chosen as Wallabies vice-captain. There's a reason why Horwill was chosen over Genia as Reds captain, and I can now see why Link chose to retain Horwill.

I thought that direction-wise, Cooper played a faultless game. Execution wasn't there, but he had the right idea. If Cooper tried to do his normal razzle dazzle, he would've gotten smashed. The way the Waraths swarmed Cooper at every opportunity, Cooper had no choice but to play a 'European game'.The fact is, a year ago Cooper would've attempted to run at the line and try create something. I'm glad that he chose to play a more kick-orientated game, he just had terrible execution. I would't worry about Cooper tbh, he's a more well-rounded player and last night showed.

Another point, why is Dean Mumm vice-captain? IMO he lost the Waratahs the match by taking the penalty. If the Waratahs continued to pile on the pressure, they would've scored, the Reds were on the verge of breaking and the penalty was a godsend. I actually couldn't believe that he chose to take the penalty.

You also can't doubt the leadership of Phil Waugh, sure he used un-attractive tactics and he might be an ungrateful bastard and a s**t player, but he's a great leader. I think the Tahs might be in big trouble if he leaves, he's the heart and soul of the club.

You quite obviouslydon't know me and quite frankly you need to take that patch off your other red eye. I have played with and against some top class plays in the past. Like I said it is easy to defend off your line for top class sides, you see all the time if the side is just doing the same old same old one off raids for the line. If that had been any of the other top 6 S15 they would have scored I have no doubt about that. I just personally felt the game was a bad advertisement for the game some of the was because of the Ref though. The Reds just played a different game to what they normally play which was disappointing. Maybe I am been a bit harsh with regards to Horwill, but I rate Genia highly he would have to be the form halfback in world rugby at the moment. But really Bro you really need to come down off that Red mantle of yours and look at the bigger picture..... IT WAS A CRAP GAME.

You quite obviouslydon't know me and quite frankly you need to take that patch off your other red eye. I have played with and against some top class plays in the past. Like I said it is easy to defend off your line for top class sides, you see all the time if the side is just doing the same old same old one off raids for the line. If that had been any of the other top 6 S15 they would have scored I have no doubt about that. I just personally felt the game was a bad advertisement for the game some of the was because of the Ref though. The Reds just played a different game to what they normally play which was disappointing. Maybe I am been a bit harsh with regards to Horwill, but I rate Genia highly he would have to be the form halfback in world rugby at the moment. But really Bro you really need to come down off that Red mantle of yours and look at the bigger picture..... IT WAS A CRAP GAME[/B].

Did I ever doubt that? It was a s**t game, no doubt about it. I personally think the Waratahs should be fined for bringing the game into disrepute. It was horrible. But what i'm discussing is what you said in your first post, that the Reds were awful. I'n asking how were they awful? They had no ball to attack and they defended extraordinarily well. What else did you expect them to do? I think you've pretty much said that the Reds played awful because they didn't play their normal game. Am I right?

Kepu and Slipper will be an interesting contest for TH prop. They're both ahead of Alexander on this year's form certainly. Robinson has LH all to his own but Kepu and Slipper have had great seasons so far. Finally a slight bit of depth in props for the Wallabies.

Reds fully deserved to win that game. Had no ball in the 2nd half and while the Tahs refused to shift the ball past Tom Carter, the Reds showed great heart in keeping the Tahs out for so long. TPN going off again took away any slight advantage the Tahs had. Lineout turned to s**t and the scrum wasn't as dominant.

I agree that Kepu and Robinson were good but thought Timani was good while he was on and Dave Dennis played well while he was on. Big fan of his. Not many others deserve a mention.

Having watched the replay, I think the Tahs' lost the game rather than the Reds winning. They should've have scored at least once in that 30 minute period. What irritates me is that Waugh continually opted for the scrum, looking for the penalty try, he should've went with the kick into touch or the quick tap imo. The Waratahs looked extremely dangerous on the maul and scored (?) off it.

In the end that decision to not award Carter the try and give the scrum to the Red was a turning point. The Mumm decision to go for the penalty sealed the game for the Reds and was extremely stupid to say the least.

I though Ben Mowen was solid for the Tahs and TPN badly needs a rest. He's clearly playing injured and I fear for his future. Hickey needs to grow some balls and actually make the decision for Taf, Taf is too tough for his own good.:eek: We need him for the World Cup.

Moving Kurtley to fullback was a huge error. They should've stuck with him at 10.

I wasn't surprised they went the scrum constantly. They had ascendancy there clearly for most of the game. I just can't understand how they didn't score. Genuinely amazing.

TPN is gonna cut his career short by a year or so I reckon. He hits so hard and has no sense of self-preservation. Absolutely fearless. But it's gonna bite him on the arse towards the end of his career I reckon. He really does need a rest. Tahs are going nowhere without Barnes anyway. I'd rather TPN be fit for the RWC and July tests than continue to push himself to near-exhaustion while constantly picking up injures for the Tahs.

Horrible news about Mitchell. Would be just about leading the Tahs POTY award atm I reckon with Kurtley, Burgess and Kepu. TPN would win be leading if he didn't hurt himself every other week.

Flying up for Tahs v Rebels, should be an interesting game. Rebs will never have a better chance to roll them.

Are we close to our top 6 teams yet? NSW still a shot. Some teams need to pull their fingers out. The Bulls especially.

P W D L Pt
AU
Reds 9 8 0 1 39
Waratahs 9 5 0 4 28
Brumbies 8 2 0 6 21
Force 9 3 1 5 20
Rebels 9 3 0 6 19
NZ
Blues 9 7 1 1 39
Crusaders 9 6 1 2 35
Highlanders 9 7 0 2 34
Chiefs 9 3 0 6 21
Hurricanes 9 2 1 6 18
SA
Stormers 8 7 0 1 37
Sharks 9 6 0 3 34
Bulls 9 4 0 5 22
Cheetahs 9 1 0 8 15
Lions 10 1 0 9 10

Are we close to our top 6 teams yet? NSW still a shot. Some teams need to pull their fingers out. The Bulls especially.

P W D L Pt
AU
Reds 9 8 0 1 39
Waratahs 9 5 0 4 28
Brumbies 8 2 0 6 21
Force 9 3 1 5 20
Rebels 9 3 0 6 19
NZ
Blues 9 7 1 1 39
Crusaders 9 6 1 2 35
Highlanders 9 7 0 2 34
Chiefs 9 3 0 6 21
Hurricanes 9 2 1 6 18
SA
Stormers 8 7 0 1 37
Sharks 9 6 0 3 34
Bulls 9 4 0 5 22
Cheetahs 9 1 0 8 15
Lions 10 1 0 9 10

Reds, Blues, Stormers, Saders, Sharks, Highlanders looks about right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With quite a few good players out injured. I don't think we can draw too many conclusions about the Reds in a good or bad way from this game. I'll be judging them much more intently on their game against the Crusaders (assuming they have some injured players back).

Flew up to Sydney for the Rebels Tahs match, end result was probably the most disappointing of any Rebels loss this year for mine.

To lose by that margin when we were not outplayed is a bit crap. And the SFS has the atmosphere of a burnt-down orphanage.

The Reds are almost as big as pretenders as the Waratahs sadly.

Good call. The smash through Genia by Tialata is sitting at my favourite play of the tournament thus far. Lol. I will put it out there now and I reckon the Red's will lose every fixture against every NZ franchise. Most teams now have Genia and Quade all sewn up and figured out. Cooper in a tight game can't take on huge pressure, in big games he fades out, he lacks dicipline on defence and he can't play in the rain. It will be a flip of a coin between the Tah's and the Reds as to who makes the finals for the Aussie division. But I honestly hope its the Reds for the games sake but I have a feeling the Tahs will just scape through. The game of the weekend this week will be between the Crusaders and the Stormers in Cape Town with all of 55 000 tickets sold out. This is as close to a test that any game can be. SBW's getting more aggressive. Almost violent. With Fruen and all of that fire power it's becoming the main problen for the opposition. Freeing up, everybody. The key to the Stormers is their centres defense. If SBW and Fruen dominate here, this will send alarm bells for the Boks and especially the clown prince PDV. Early, days, but this will be a look at where things sit.

Good call. The smash through Genia by Tialata is sitting at my favourite play of the tournament thus far. Lol. I will put it out there now and I reckon the Red's will lose every fixture against every NZ franchise. Most teams now have Genia and Quade all sewn up and figured out. Cooper in a tight game can't take on huge pressure, in big games he fades out, he lacks dicipline on defence and he can't play in the rain. It will be a flip of a coin between the Tah's and the Reds as to who makes the finals for the Aussie division. But I honestly hope its the Reds for the games sake but I have a feeling the Tahs will just scape through. The game of the weekend this week will be between the Crusaders and the Stormers in Cape Town with all of 55 000 tickets sold out. This is as close to a test that any game can be. SBW's getting more aggressive. Almost violent. With Fruen and all of that fire power it's becoming the main problen for the opposition. Freeing up, everybody. The key to the Stormers is their centres defense. If SBW and Fruen dominate here, this will send alarm bells for the Boks and especially the clown prince PDV. Early, days, but this will be a look at where things sit.

At least Genia attempted the tackle. :D I think you are harsh on Genia and Cooper as it was in the forwards that we got smashed. Admittedly Cooper attempting a cross field kick with 2 mins to go was not the best option. If we had of retained the ball we would have won. You do realise we smashed the Crusaders last year?

At least Genia attempted the tackle. :D I think you are harsh on Genia and Cooper as it was in the forwards that we got smashed. Admittedly Cooper attempting a cross field kick with 2 mins to go was not the best option. If we had of retained the ball we would have won. You do realise we smashed the Crusaders last year?

Yeah I agree because if that was me there's no way I would be standing in his way, you're got to give Genia credit he has "Balls", he is a gutsy little player who most definitely plays above his wait. Last year was last year, most teams are playing differently from last year and also Copper and Genia were pretty much an unknown quantity last year. Its a different ball game this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back