Supercoach DRAFT 2017 - Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snake draft is a natural form of equalisation, in theory it makes the draft even. However, the use of captains distorts this. e.g below.

First pick gets 130 point average and 20th gets 100. Total of 230 points without captain or 360 with captain.
10th pick gets 2 x 115 point players = 230 without captain, 345 with captain.

IMO snake drafts are equalised by nature, captain does nothing but distort that.
Obviously its all personal preference, i just dont see any benefit to including it.

I know what you're saying. But no one ever picks the best player for the year with no.1, well not since prime Ablett days.

And it can add some good random aspects. You get s**t teams beating good ones if their captain has a down game.

We play 10 man 22 pick teams so you have to nail the whole squad. A captain would have much less impact than some of the teams posted here.

Last year Dangerfield went at 5 and that person didn't even make the GF.

I know what you're saying. But no one ever picks the best player for the year with no.1, well not since prime Ablett days.

And it can add some good random aspects. You get s**t teams beating good ones if their captain has a down game.

We play 10 man 22 pick teams so you have to nail the whole squad. A captain would have much less impact than some of the teams posted here.

Last year Dangerfield went at 5 and that person didn't even make the GF.
fair play, i suppose it has its place.
I see that more as a negative than a positive, imo your week shouldnt hinge on a captaincy selection

My annual plug for the Too Serious draft planner

This is far and away the best tool for draft planning. It auto calculates the order of picks based on the value based drafting methodology. Value based drafting takes into account the most important aspect of fantasy drafting, positional scarcity. It factors in the positional requirements of your custom league, something which should dictate the order in which you pick players.

Had pick 10 in a 16 team draft. Squads are probably too big for the number of teams, but makes it very interesting.

R Laird, J Lloyd, J Macmillan, K Kolodjashnij (C Hampton, J Carlisle)
T Mitchell, L Shuey, T Cotchin, J Lyons, T Dumont (M Robinson)
J Witts (D Currie)
L Dahlhaus, C Wingard, I Heeney, C Cameron (B Acres)

2 lads never logged in, so were on autopick the whole night, and it loaded them up with 10 midfielders each, screwed the strategy, was hoping to have a Watson/Gaff at M4.

Trade option on the table with one of the lads who was on autopick: Laird for Rocky + Hodge (he has Wines as M6!), tempted to take it, but worried about Hodge's continuity. Was set to trade Wingard for Rockliff + until the news on Heeney.

This is far and away the best tool for draft planning. It auto calculates the order of picks based on the value based drafting methodology. Value based drafting takes into account the most important aspect of fantasy drafting, positional scarcity. It factors in the positional requirements of your custom league, something which should dictate the order in which you pick players.
Interesting! I assume it doesn't take captains into account with Docherty as recommended 3rd pick.

It also appears to value FWD and DEF the same, which I don't agree with. Cool find nonetheless!

Interesting! I assume it doesn't take captains into account with Docherty as recommended 3rd pick.

It also appears to value FWD and DEF the same, which I don't agree with. Cool find nonetheless!

It doesnt take captains into account, i think most leagues dont use them in any case.

It doesnt necessarily value fwd and def the same, it all depends on the composition of your league. For example, the output it generates for my league composition has 3 def in the top 26 and no fwd.

The way this calculates everything is based on last years performance. Essentially, the order of the list (not taking into account amount of games played, only using averages) is almost exactly how the draft should have gone in order for everyone to make the optimal picks.

Nice find, I found this app on the app store called AFL Draft Kit, does a similar job links and screenshot below:

iOS App
Android App

screen696x696.jpeg

Hey all,

My draft league has the annual tradition of deciding draft order via a beer-pong tournament.

Our draft commissioner is proposing to change the draft method this year to linear instead of snake for the following reason:
  • To ensure every team has equal amount of time between picks, so that pick 1 is not punished by having to wait the longest between picks (resulting in mid-draft order teams having an advantage).
We have 8 teams, so Team 1 would get picks 1, 9, 17, etc. and Team 8 would get picks 8, 16, 24, etc.

Is this a good/bad idea? Can linear draft order work in a non-keeper league?

Hey all,

My draft league has the annual tradition of deciding draft order via a beer-pong tournament.

Our draft commissioner is proposing to change the draft method this year to linear instead of snake for the following reason:
  • To ensure every team has equal amount of time between picks, so that pick 1 is not punished by having to wait the longest between picks (resulting in mid-draft order teams having an advantage).
We have 8 teams, so Team 1 would get picks 1, 9, 17, etc. and Team 8 would get picks 8, 16, 24, etc.

Snake is much fairer.

Picks 1,9,17 are so much better than 8,16,24. Snake evens it out.

Hey all,

The only upside to linear is, as you said, less waiting between picks.

Linear drafts make it very, very difficult for anyone with a late pick to be competitive (obviously giving people with early picks a huge advantage). Hence why they are so rarely used.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey all,

This is going to be grotesquely unfair. If you're in the bottom few may as well just quit and save yourself the time. Snake is the only fair method.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Short answer, no.
Snake is much fairer.

Picks 1,9,17 are so much better than 8,16,24. Snake evens it out.
The only upside to linear is, as you said, less waiting between picks.

Linear drafts make it very, very difficult for anyone with a late pick to be competitive (obviously giving people with early picks a huge advantage). Hence why they are so rarely used.

This is going to be grotesquely unfair. If you're in the bottom few may as well just quit and save yourself the time. Snake is the only fair method.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately there are a few in my league who think this is a good idea so I submitted this post to get some outsider opinions...

I'd also like to add that another reason is to make our pre-draft beer pong tournament competitive again. It was beginning to become stale because people didn't care about winning anymore as it didn't really matter where you placed at the end of the day (there was an idea that mid order position had an advantage as you had the most balanced time between picks). So we'd like to give some reward for finishing first.

A few alternative ideas were:
  1. Winner decided their position in the snake draft (instead of getting first pick, second getting second pick, etc.). My preferred.
  2. First two rounds are linear, then snake.
  3. Captains
Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone, we've got one spot available in a 12 team draft league. Draft is tonight at 7pm. Code is

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately there are a few in my league who think this is a good idea so I submitted this post to get some outsider opinions...

I'd also like to add that another reason is to make our pre-draft beer pong tournament competitive again. It was beginning to become stale because people didn't care about winning anymore as it didn't really matter where you placed at the end of the day (there was an idea that mid order position had an advantage as you had the most balanced time between picks). So we'd like to give some reward for finishing first.

A few alternative ideas were:
  1. Winner decided their position in the snake draft (instead of getting first pick, second getting second pick, etc.). My preferred.
  2. First two rounds are linear, then snake.
  3. Captains
Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

We're actually doing number 1 in our league this year. Everyone has their own preference.

We also have captains - it definitely rewards the person at #1.

Pick 5 tonight in a 14 man draft. Haven't done one with more than 8 people.

Surely it's still too high up to grab someone other than a premo mid, then go for RUC and DEF/FWD on the next role around?

Had pick 3 in a draft of 12.

Overall pretty happy with my selections. Forward line could be an issue down the track but see how we go.

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 8.37.59 PM.png

Pick 5 in a 14 man draft. Apart from the FWD line, I'm not to displeased.

Such slim pickings in the later ends.

Untitled.png

Some of you talking about slim pickings is making me laugh. Our league is a 14 man league with squads of 22 players....now that's slim pickings towards the end! :D

Our first round went:

Danger
Fyfe
Gawn
GAJ
JPK3
Docherty
Goldy
Beams
Hannebery
Pendlebury

Pendlebury lasting until pick 10 was a huge surprise, thought he would be #4 guaranteed.

Our second round (snaking) went:

Shaw
Parker
Dusty
Selwood
Mummy
Gray
S. Martin
Merrett
Dahlhaus
Zorko

Last edited: