big_bazza

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2005
Tas
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
sydney swans
since ive been following the great game we call afl i havent seen a more intense rivalry, i have only been closely been following the game for about 5 years but when was there such a tight rivalry ?.

it all started in 05 qf, eagles won by 4 in a controversial game
then th 05 gf swans got up by 4.
end of 2005 series swans and eagles are level.

2006, round 15, eagles by 2 points,
06 qf swans by 1 point, mickkky!!.

then the big one the gf eagles by a point so once again 2 years in a row. the 2 teams are both eagles for the final series this time a one point win each.

im just looking forward to 07 and 2 h&a clashes and hopefully 2 finals too.

your thoughts ?

It is a fantastic rivalry to watch, even if the games are low scoring, the skill level is fantastic and the games close. And finally we have been give some Grand Finals that are absorbing to the end.

As for the best rivalry, it is always better if your team is involved, so for you, yes. For me, I have enjoyed the StKilda Geelong rivalry over recent years, very hard, and mourned the StKilda Freo rivalry and the interference of umpires to affect the result.

Warwick said:
There's your answer.

thats why i said best rivalry since when you ***.

i said its the best rivalry ive seen since ive followed afl closesly so i started the thread to get some of you older peoples opinions on whats the best rivalry and your thoughts on the swans-eagles rivalry.

It's a great one.
Waiting for a brawl in one of them one day, but the Swans are too fair (Not saying they're soft, they'd be arguably the hardest team in the comp but also the most disciplined).

What defines rivalry though? Just playing close games?

Surely that is an element but you would think there needs to be an element of bad blood for whatever reason as well.

davey_magik said:
It's a great one.
Waiting for a brawl in one of them one day, but the Swans are too fair (Not saying they're soft, they'd be arguably the hardest team in the comp but also the most disciplined).

Glass would win it single handidly

Adnar said:
What defines rivalry though? Just playing close games?

Surely that is an element but you would think there needs to be an element of bad blood for whatever reason as well.

Agreed. Now we have beaten you in the big one I dont really hate yous

big_bazza said:
since ive been following the great game we call afl i havent seen a more intense rivalry, i have only been closely been following the game for about 5 years but when was there such a tight rivalry ?.

it all started in 05 qf, eagles won by 4 in a controversial game
then th 05 gf swans got up by 4.
end of 2005 series swans and eagles are level.

2006, round 15, eagles by 2 points,
06 qf swans by 1 point, mickkky!!.

then the big one the gf eagles by a point so once again 2 years in a row. the 2 teams are both eagles for the final series this time a one point win each.

im just looking forward to 07 and 2 h&a clashes and hopefully 2 finals too.

your thoughts ?

since essendon-hawthorn 83-85...3 straight grand finals is a "rivalry" in anyone's language...even though brisbane and collingwood played 2 straight, at no point (even though they only fell 9pts shy in 02) did the pies ever look like matching brisbane for hardness or absolute skill and running power. based on that - i don't see that as being a rivalry the equivalent of the current swans-eagles or hawks-bombers ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not really a rivalry for several reasons:

- They haven't been clearly the best two teams in the league over a period of time. Quite simply, Sydney were handed a top 4 spot this year thanks to an uneven draw, capitalised on it and got to the finals after cruising through much of the regular season. West Coast and Adelaide were the best teams this year until Adelaide struck injuries. Until West Coast and Sydney spend 22 weeks sitting clear in 1 and 2 spots, with neither team looking like losing until they next play each other, that counts out one rivalry option. The last time that happened was 2000, when Carlton and Essendon were clear on top with Carlton the last team to defeat the bombers and the bombers the last team to defeat Carlton up until about round 16 that year.

- They don't have a local rivalry, or an ideological one. The best rivalries combine both those factors (ie West Coast/Freo, Carlton/Collingwood). To be a rivalry you have to have at least one. If West Coast came out and criticised Sydney's playing style, called them boring and said the only reason they win is because the AFL hands them a whopping home ground advantage, well, you might say there's an ideological rivalry there. But Perth vs Sydney - I mean, come on. Everyone from Sydney wants to live in Perth and vice versa!

- The current teams don't hate each other. They don't even appear to display mild dislike. No-one appears to get fired up to play the other team any more than any other game. Maybe both teams are just proffessionals - but have a look at West Coast and Freo players before those games. It means something. Right now, West Coast/Sydney doesn't.

- Neither team has an inexplicable advantage over the other that leads into rivalry status. If Sydney won this years grand final by a point, and continually seemed to get the best in their encounters, or vice versa, and the other team blew it out of proportion so it became a purely mental thing, that could develop into a rivalry. But it hasn't

Really, they're just two decent teams who happen to be evenly matched, so that no team gets and advantage when they play. As a result their games are generally low-scoring and close. But a proper rivalry needs something more, a bit of spice to it.

Brisbane and Port had a pretty intense rivalry '01 - '04 and even though Brisbane was the superior team they were more evenly matched then Brisbane/Collingwood. Brisbane/Essendon '00 to '02 or so was pretty good as well.

Ive never been able to understand these "biggest rivalry" threads....

Surely no answer is correct...As its purely from the perspective of the person saying it.

I mean what freo supporter would give a rats if the Dons and Collingwood hate eachother....

If two teams trading grand final wins by 4 and 1 points respectively then i don't know what is. Not only that during the seasons while this rivalry has continued they have been just as close.

West Coast Premiers 2006 said:
If two teams trading grand final wins by 4 and 1 points respectively then i don't know what is. Not only that during the seasons while this rivalry has continued they have been just as close.

I love watching it. It is my favourite rivalry outside of StKilda at the moment. The players involved are so damn good and varied as well.

sabre_ac said:
Ive never been able to understand these "biggest rivalry" threads....

Surely no answer is correct...As its purely from the perspective of the person saying it.

I mean what freo supporter would give a rats if the Dons and Collingwood hate eachother....

That seems completely wrong to me. The rivalry games are great sports, regardless of who is playing - all the players step up a notch, the crowd gets into it, and there is always the chance of something huge happening (like THAT West Coast/Freo brawl a few years back).

The following games are always watchable as a neutral fan, regardless of ladder position:
West Coast/Freo
Adelaide/Port
Carlton/Collingwood/Essendon (any 2)
Hawthorn/Essendon

Other decent rivalries in the last few years would be North/West Coast/Essendon in the Sheedy/Carey/Jackovich era, and to some extend anything involving Richmond.

Easily the best rivalry since The Big mazungo (craig Mottram) and every Kenyan runner there is.

Or the best rivalry since the Cantebury Bulldogs and young women hahaha sorry couldn't resist.

Love watching the swan and eagles, great to see that good a contest everytime

The only thing that prevents the Eagles-Swans from being a great rivalry is the lack of bad blood between them. I would rather a win over Essendon really, and there was nothing better than seeing Subiaco oval awash in twirling jackets in the mid '90s. Altho a win over the swans has a higher likelihood of resulting in a flag these days.

unexplained said:
The only thing that prevents the Eagles-Swans from being a great rivalry is the lack of bad blood between them. I would rather a win over Essendon really, and there was nothing better than seeing Subiaco oval awash in twirling jackets in the mid '90s. Altho a win over the swans has a higher likelihood of resulting in a flag these days.

You would rather beat Essendon then Sydney? I feel 'bad blood' between us. We beat you in a GF and you beat us in a GF. If there's any team i want to beat next year it's the Eagles.

unexplained said:

The jacket waving is great for both Eagles and Essendon, brings something into short lived rivalry.

i feel bad for Sheeds, very doubful he'll get a jacket winning game as coach again.:(

as for Swans v Eagles, if the close games continue this year, it will be a rivalry that will last for decades. It wouldn't be a super rivalry yet, but it is on the rise, thats for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back