Welcome Swans Fans - Introduce Yourselves Here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus H Christie

1. Where are you from? Born in Malaysia, migrated to Sydney when I was 9
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? I'm an avid sports fan in general so with the Swans the only AFL team in town it was obvious that I should start supporting them. However in those days, the Swans received very little coverage in the print media and knowing no one who knew the rules, it took more than a few years of watching the broadcast on Channel 7 to begin to understand the intricacies of the sport itself.
In true bandwagoner fashion, my NRL (ARL) team the Canberra Raiders started their decline post 1995 and in great timing fashion the Swans made the grand final in 1996. Also the Super League imbroglio was the final nail in my NRL supporting ways.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? On and off since 1991 but really started getting into it 2002.
4. Favourite players (current)? I sincerely support all our current players but have a tremendous soft spot for Nick Malceski having seen him rise from the reserves to the cusp of All-Australian selection and his return from his knee reconstructions
5. Favourite players (all time)? Brett Kirk, amazing player, tremendous captain, superb human being.
6. Favourite Swans memories?
One of my earliest Swans games that I attended was when we blew away Geelong by 100+ points. It was billed as a shootout between Lockett and Ablett (Senior) so the SCG was at full capacity (around 44k?) and there was a real frisson of excitement pulsing through the stadium. When it was clear the Swans were going to win and win big, it turned into a party atmosphere as the crowd cheered every goal the Swans slammed home.

2005 SF, I don't think I'll ever experience anything resembling the roller coaster of emotions of that famous night. You have to remember how close we got to toppling WC in the qualifying final, and I remember being very apprehensive heading to the ground on the Friday night thinking that we might have thrown our full effort against the Eagles in vain - and for 3.5 quarters it seemed that my nightmare was coming to fruition.

To move from almost certain defeat to winning the game on what was the final kick of the game will probably be the greatest swing in emotions I will experience football wise. Having no radio with me and having to sit on the old hill under the giant scoreboard, we had no idea that it was Nick Davis who had kicked the final goal or that he had kicked 4 for the quarter. To be honest at the time it didn't matter - the combined euphoria of thousands of supporters, both young and old, many of whom were jumping up and down on their seats like a crazy lunatic, just like I was doing, was an incredible natural high that I can still recall today.

Lewis Jetta's first goal.
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? at the local pub watching with schoolmates who were only cursory Swans fans, hugging randoms when the final siren went.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Can't beat the good old guernsey and scarf.

i cant remember a game that we beat the cats by 100+ in recent times so i looked it up. we did in 98 but ablett snr had retired 2 years earlier.

i do remember one game being billed as the lockett v ablett show (only cause of the sensational swans video :D) was the one in 96 where we won by 70 odd. lockett kicked 6, ablett 2.

I must have conflated two games into one. Still it was a bloody awesome game to be at. I also recall that it was Brent Green's (RIP) first game for us and one of Brett O'Farrell's earliest ones for us. The guy sitting next to me proudly proclaimed they would be the lynchpins of our spine for the next decade. Oops

Signed up mid last year but never really got into much posting, will try and change that this year.

1. Where are you from?

Originally born in Melbourne and moved up to Sydney when I was four.

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans?

My dad took me to games from a young age and also watched a lot of the swans games on tv.

3. How long have you been supporting the Swans?

Member since 1998, fan since I can first remember.

4. Favourite players (current)?

Nick Smith/Gary Rohan/Mumford

5. Favourite players (all time)?

Goodes/Kirk/Kelly/Crouch (mainly because of the effect he had on aker)

Nick Davis vs Geelong/2005 GF/ 1300th Goal

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF?

At the MCG screaming like a lunatic

8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own?

Signed guernsey from start of 2005 season

Where am I from? Born in Sydney, grew up in country S.A., moved back at 20
Why did I start supporting the Swans? Back in S.A. before the Crows came about, everyone haad a VFL team, usually Hawthorn, Essendon or Carlton. Just to be different I went for my birthplace, and copped heaps for it:D
How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since '83!
Favorite Player Curr: Gary Rohan
Favourite Player All time: Paul Kelly
Favourite Swans memories:
'05 of course, Nick Davis and his heroics right in front of us in the pocket, place went nuts! Capper in full flight.
Where I was for the 05 GF? At my mates place with a few frothies
Favourite piece of Swans memorabelia.
Various ticket stubbs from 91-93 period.

This is officially my first ever post on BF...

Where am I from? Born in the Philippines, arrived and lived in Wagga as a tot and now living in Melbourne

Why did I start supporting the Swans? The first game I saw on TV, Sydney was playing against Essendon I think, became a fan of AFL from then. Capper, Diesel, Murphy... just became a huge fan.

How long have you been supporting the Swans? 1986, a great period of time for the swans as I remember. A barracked loudly even when they were at the bottom of the ladder during the early 90's. I think I was the only swans supporter in my school, I was already in melbourne during that time.

Favorite Player Past: Paul Kelly, Current: Goodesy

Favourite Player All time: Can't choose between the two.

Favourite Swans memories: Capper's high flying marks, diesels handballs, kellys and kirks bravery, Barassy, Goodesy's skills, pluggers 100+ goals, roosy as coach, Barry's mark, 05 PREMIERSHIP, young bloods of today.

Where I was for the 05 GF? Grand Final BBQ at my house. I remember, that last minute was the longest minute of my life.. I had my arms around my brothers and when the siren rang, it rang true. I was yelling, I was crying, I was exhausted but that day will always live in my mind.

Favourite piece of Swans memorabelia. Strange but I don't have one. I guess the ticket of my first swans game I saw live...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't posted in a while so i might as well break the drought here.

1. Where are you from? Born in the Philippines and moved to Australia when i was 3 yrs old. Grew up and still am living in Sydney's inner west.

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Nothing much to do as a kid on Sundays apart from watching Channel 7 with the footy on. Saw this player busting through packs for the swans, some dude by the name of Paul Kelly. It was love from then on.

3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since 1995, however only became a member from 2003

4. Favourite players (current)? Nick Malceski, Hannebery, Mumford

5. Favourite players (all time)? Daryn Cresswell, Paul Williams, Micky O

6. Favourite Swans memories? 2005 Grand Final/After Party at Punt Road, tbh pretty much all 3 weeks after the heartbreak of the qualifying final against west coast where we were robbed.

2003 Qualifying final against Port Adelaide..we were no hope i thought. thank god i was completely wrong! Best piece of commentary from SOS with "Oh My God" when we went 8 goals ahead.

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? Behind the goals at Leo Barry's Mark end. Did not hear the siren, just the deafening roar around me confirmed what i had been dreaming for, for so long.

8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Scored a early/mid 90s long sleeve swans guernsey in great nick from ebay for 55 bucks...bargain.

Also bought a guernsey with the 2005 premiers logo on it. Got it all signed by all the players that played and Paul Roos.

Jeffers were you born in the philippines or filipino in origin... just asking. Yes the filo's like the swans.

Haven't posted in a while so i might as well break the drought here.

1. Where are you from? Born in the Philippines and moved to Australia when i was 3 yrs old. Grew up and still am living in Sydney's inner west.

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? Nothing much to do as a kid on Sundays apart from watching Channel 7 with the footy on. Saw this player busting through packs for the swans, some dude by the name of Paul Kelly. It was love from then on.

3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since 1995, however only became a member from 2003

4. Favourite players (current)? Nick Malceski, Hannebery, Mumford

5. Favourite players (all time)? Daryn Cresswell, Paul Williams, Micky O

6. Favourite Swans memories? 2005 Grand Final/After Party at Punt Road, tbh pretty much all 3 weeks after the heartbreak of the qualifying final against west coast where we were robbed.

2003 Qualifying final against Port Adelaide..we were no hope i thought. thank god i was completely wrong! Best piece of commentary from SOS with "Oh My God" when we went 8 goals ahead.

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? Behind the goals at Leo Barry's Mark end. Did not hear the siren, just the deafening roar around me confirmed what i had been dreaming for, for so long.

8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Scored a early/mid 90s long sleeve swans guernsey in great nick from ebay for 55 bucks...bargain.

Also bought a guernsey with the 2005 premiers logo on it. Got it all signed by all the players that played and Paul Roos.

Not a massive poster but love to read everyones thoughts and how passionate they are and much they love the swans

1.where are you from? Australian born and live on the Central Coast

2.why did you start supporting the swans? My Dad played for a local club on the coast so obviously I was brought up with afl and supported the swans at about 7yrs of age roughly and as they were the local team

3.How long have you supported the swans? Since 95, started going to games in 96.

4.current favorite players? Goodes,McVeigh,McGlynn,Birdy,Rohan

5.favorite all time players?Kelly,Lockett,Mickey-O,schwass,Goodes again

6.favorite swans memories?2005 GF enough said
A game in 96 when Lockett kicked 100 goals in that season
Beating Geelong last year
06 grand final qualifier v freo
Went to our semi-final loss last year Goodes 300th game

7.where was I when swans won 2005 GF? I actually didn't get to watch it live as I was trialing out for a rep league team got mum to tape it so I could watch it when I got home.(biggest regret not watching it live.)

8.favorite swans memorabilia? I have a limited edition goodes 2006 brownlow medal framed print. Also 2005 GF panoramic pic framed(after buchannons goal)
Also a shite load of swans guernseys,love when the wear heritage ones

Cheers

Bit late to post this but.

1. Where are you from? Born and raised in Sydney
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? I love my sport and they were the only Sydney team plus i just loved the way kirkey and goodsey played.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since i was about 14 till now. so 7 years and counting.
4. Favourite players (current)? Adam Goodes, Sam Reid.
5. Favourite players (all time)? Brett Kirk
6. Favourite Swans memories? 2005 GF and the 2005 Semi final against Geelong
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? At home on the couch with some friends. Was jumping up and down all game. Wish id gone to the game.
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Dont really have any other than a guernsey and a scarf although ive seen swans players at training before during school days (they trained across the road) but i didnt want to interrupt training for some autographs.

1. Where are you from? Born in Sydney, currently living in the middle east.
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? My family were living in country NSW during the 80's and I was a fierce rugby league fan as a kid. The last quarter of the Swans game was broadcast after the league on local ABC radio, and i sort of got hooked.
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since about 1986.
4. Favourite players (current)? Gary Rohan, Sam Reid.
5. Favourite players (all time)? Paul Kelly, Mark Bayes
6. Favourite Swans memories? 2005 GF and the 2005 Semi final against Geelong
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? 20 rows back, Punt Rd end. Yes, behind the West Coast cheer squad. It was a good day!
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? I have 5 WEG posters from the 2005 GF....

First time poster.

Where am I from Born in Melbourne now living in Central Victoria.
Why did I start supporting the Swans. My father was a trainer with South from the late 50's to the late 60's so I sat on the trainers bench each week with him.
How long have you been supporting the Swans. All of my 52 years I saw my first game when I was 3 weeks old Skilts won the Brownlow that year 1959
Favourite Player Current Goodes O'Keefe,Mumford & Kennedy plus every other player on our list.
Favourite Player All time Ricky Quade, Max Papley, Bob Skilton, Tony Haenan & Michael O'Loughlin.
Favourite Swans memories Queens Birthday weekend 1970, we kicked 3 goals in the last couple of minutes to beat Collingwood by a point, when we hit the front everyone just ran onto the ground in excitement, the game had to be stopped until they cleared the ground also the 3 winning finals in 05.
Where I was for the 05 GF I was at the ground opposite end to Leo's mark.
Favourite piece of Swans Memorabilia Mixing with the players growing up I have plenty of autographs, photos, players socks, shorts and jumpers. I also have autographs of actors Gregory Peck and Jimmy Stewart in the old South rooms when they were over in Australia at different times promoting their films, I just have to fine where my wife has put them all.
When they stopped playing footy at South and the ground started to become derelict I pinched some ground memorabilia like the line marker the South name from the scoreboard and anything else I could get my hands on they are my favourite things.

First time poster.

Where am I from Born in Melbourne now living in Central Victoria.
Why did I start supporting the Swans. My father was a trainer with South from the late 50's to the late 60's so I sat on the trainers bench each week with him.
How long have you been supporting the Swans. All of my 52 years I saw my first game when I was 3 weeks old Skilts won the Brownlow that year 1959
Favourite Player Current Goodes O'Keefe,Mumford & Kennedy plus every other player on our list.
Favourite Player All time Ricky Quade, Max Papley, Bob Skilton, Tony Haenan & Michael O'Loughlin.
Favourite Swans memories Queens Birthday weekend 1970, we kicked 3 goals in the last couple of minutes to beat Collingwood by a point, when we hit the front everyone just ran onto the ground in excitement, the game had to be stopped until they cleared the ground also the 3 winning finals in 05.
Where I was for the 05 GF I was at the ground opposite end to Leo's mark.
Favourite piece of Swans Memorabilia Mixing with the players growing up I have plenty of autographs, photos, players socks, shorts and jumpers. I also have autographs of actors Gregory Peck and Jimmy Stewart in the old South rooms when they were over in Australia at different times promoting their films, I just have to fine where my wife has put them all.
When they stopped playing footy at South and the ground started to become derelict I pinched some ground memorabilia like the line marker the South name from the scoreboard and anything else I could get my hands on they are my favourite things.

That was an absolute pleasure to read.

1. Where are you from? I’m form Melbourne

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? My whole family are swans supporter’s my Dad grew up in South Melbourne and I can recall going to the lakeside oval why back when.

3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? 34 for years of blood sweat and tears

4. Favourite players (current)? Adam! Every year he seems to get better and as swans fans we know if he plays a big game WE WILL WIN!

5. Favourite players (all time)? Mark Bays, Paul Kelly, Mickey’O, Gerard Healy, Andrew Dunkley, Tony Lockett, Stevie Wright. Really could gone on and on.

6. Favourite Swans memories? Tony’s point made me cry and still get shives down the spin when I recall it, Nick’s last quarter, Leo’s Mark, capper!

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? I was there right behind the goals at the end West Coast were kicking to in the last. I remember watching as Leo kicked the ball out of the back pocket and up to their 50 meter line. When a West Coast player marked it I looked down at Leo. We were on the first level of the stand I was thinking (Oh no Leo you have to make up for this). I didn’t take my eyes of him for a second and boy did he make up for it.

8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? I have a jumper signed by the great man Tony Lockett he signed it the week after breaking the record it’s framed and hanging on the wall.

I jumped aboard mid last season, but I'm happy to introduce myself now.

1. Where are you from? Sydney. Willoughby to be exact.

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? I worked with a bunch of Swans fans in the mid 90s just in time for our GF with the Roos. It's amazing that I follow AFL at all given the fact that my dad was a Wallaby captain. Incidentally, rugby union bores the pants off me.

3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? 16 years.

4. Favourite players (current)? Nick Smith, Gary Rohan.

5. Favourite players (all time)? Paul Kelly.

6. Favourite Swans memories? Nick Davis beating the cats, 05

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? Mate's place.

8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? My jersey

1. Where are you from? Grew up in Manly, now living in Perth

2. Why did you start supporting the Swans? In Sydney, you didn't see much footy back when i was growing up (except for Rugby... both sorts). My friends brother was friends with one of the team back in the 90s, so we used to watch sometimes. But i've been in WA for about 7 years, and i'm getting more passionate every year.

3. How long have you been supporting the Swans? Since the 90s

4. Favourite players (current)? Jack, Rohan.

5. Favourite players (all time)? Kirk. Proof that nice guys don't always finish last.

6. Favourite Swans memories? I'm going to be a bit different here, but last years win against the cats at skilled, black armbands on both teams, brought a tear to my eye.

7. Where were you for the 2005 GF? Oxford Hotel in Mt Hawthorn, Perth. Trying to keep the grin off my face and make it out of the room in one piece amongst all the Eagles fans.

8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own? Don't have much, but i like my t-shirts.

1. Where are you from?
All records were lost when the orphanage was burnt down, deliberately.... apparently I was born at Frankston Hospital but I don't remember it, have changed states/territories six times since then (gotta love defence), currently based in Sydney since 2000. I came here to BF during the big RWO forum outage of 2005
2. Why did you start supporting the Swans?
Why wouldn't you support the Swans?
3. How long have you been supporting the Swans?
Inherited
4. Favourite players (current)?
Man crush on Goodes. Do want to see little Jetta come good.
5. Favourite players (all time)?
B2 aka Craig Bolton, Micky O, Captain Kirk, Paul Williams
standing on my seat in Bay 29 of the SCG losing the plot at the sound of the final siren, Geelong SF 05
7. Where were you for the 2005 GF?
Club Swans on a booked table upstairs infront of the BIG screen (thanks Wendy!!). Should of been at the G, biggest regret for not putting football first...
8. Favourite piece of Swans memorabilia that you own?
Cuttings from the paper throughout the 2005 season along with all the records from the Swans home games that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back