Autopsy Swans fly high against the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Look if our midfield gets beaten as badly as it did for the duration of todays game then it wont matter who is defending who they will kick 10+ before HT.

Need to at least match Brisbane in the middle or we are toast.

Duration of the game? Our midfield literally annihilated them after the first 15 minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep, Mills and Heeney are probably our only players currently in the "elite" bracket. And maybe Papley when he returns to full match fitness.

Having said that, I think Florent would get a game with just about every AFL club. He's no slouch & whilst I'd love for him to progress to "elite" status, I can readily see him being an important cog in our next premiership.

Just on defence - I actually think Freo have the best back 6 at present. Slot a few A-graders into their mids & forward-line & they'll become a real threat.

Whilst he didn't get it a lot, Florent was one of the few that wasn't hacking it forward. There was a kick (think it was to Logan actually where it was right in front just where a forward wants it). Yeah I'd love him to get it 22-24 times a game, but it's quality over quantity with him.

Probably Melican. Although I prefer Gould to come in at this stage he is going to too short for McStay. Gould has been our best defender in the Twos by a long way. He controls the backs

Hear me out but why not Reid? Don't see why this isn't an option. Melican again jeez

Look if our midfield gets beaten as badly as it did for the duration of todays game then it wont matter who is defending who they will kick 10+ before HT.

Need to at least match Brisbane in the middle or we are toast.
Our midfield did not get beaten for the duration of yesterday's game. We got beaten for 16 minutes. Then won the mids after that. Won clearances 41-28, centre clearances 17-8, this was because after the first 16 minutes we won the rucks 40-27. So our mids were beaten? Um I don't know how? Gulden 20, Kennedy 11 from 1.5 quarters, Ladhams 19 & 34, McInerney 22, McLean 13 & 6, Mills 37, Parker 29, Warner 24, Rowbotton 22 compared to Mitchell 26, Newcombe 23, Wingard 12, O'Meara 20, Worpel 11, Morrison 20 & Lynch 8 & 23. Hawks mids on numbers look to have been well beaten to me

Interesting watching a replay of the last quarter.

With 12 minutes left we are still 8 points behind and had been wasting entries bombing long.

Boundary throw near half way. Rowbottom tackles Worpel and ball goes loose, Parker wins important ground ball against Newcombe and gives it to Mclean who handballs to Warner who runs in and kicks the goal.

I think it was an important moment to finally get a goal after wasting entries all quarter and get the margin to 2 points.

As I said to a mate in the second quarter, when we finally get ahead (and we will) we will kick the next 6 goals and win in a canter.

Dominated everything statistically, we just lacked the connection and cohesion going inside 50. Once it came it was over for the Hawks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

32-0 against a side like Brisbane is game over we dont get a chance to come back in it.

It was about 1.5 quarters till we woke up.
No it wasn't. It was the 16 minute mark of the first. The stats say that. not only that so does the footage. Parker dives for a ball with desperation he extracts it, handballs to Mills. Mills and Parker stopped the rot at the 16 minute mark of the first. In the second quarter we were 13-5 inside 50's when they kicked the first goal of the quarter. They only won the quarter because we kicked 1.6. They kicked 2.1 from 6 entries.

No it wasn't. It was the 16 minute mark of the first. The stats say that. not only that so does the footage. Parker dives for a ball with desperation he extracts it, handballs to Mills. Mills and Parker stopped the rot at the 16 minute mark of the first. In the second quarter we were 13-5 inside 50's when they kicked the first goal of the quarter. They only won the quarter because we kicked 1.6. They kicked 2.1 from 6 entries.

We still need to start better it's not just this week, we did it against the Cats and the Dogs too. Got away with it twice, and the Lions are the best starting side in the comp

Probably Melican. Although I prefer Gould to come in at this stage he is going to too short for McStay. Gould has been our best defender in the Twos by a long way. He controls the backs
There's 2cm between them. I'd go with form.

Hear me out but why not Reid? Don't see why this isn't an option. Melican again jeez
Because he's not a defender. He doesn't even play the role at reserves level. Sure he can float back sometimes but I wouldn't be throwing him in against the Lions. He may well come in for Logan anyway and can be used as a break glass option, but I'd be bringing Gould in for his debut. It's not ideal against a premiership fancy, and if they were in the same form it'd be Melican, but they aren't.

Yep, Mills and Heeney are probably our only players currently in the "elite" bracket. And maybe Papley when he returns to full match fitness.

Having said that, I think Florent would get a game with just about every AFL club. He's no slouch & whilst I'd love for him to progress to "elite" status, I can readily see him being an important cog in our next premiership.

Just on defence - I actually think Freo have the best back 6 at present. Slot a few A-graders into their mids & forward-line & they'll become a real threat.

better than melbourne's? big call ... i think melbourne's defence and gawn are the cornerstones ... and of course they have arguably the best player in the league at the moment in petracca

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he's not a defender. He doesn't even play the role at reserves level. Sure he can float back sometimes but I wouldn't be throwing him in against the Lions. He may well come in for Logan anyway and can be used as a break glass option, but I'd be bringing Gould in for his debut. It's not ideal against a premiership fancy, and if they were in the same form it'd be Melican, but they aren't.

Reid can't be any worse than Melican driving me insane. Wouldn't be shocked if Paddy plays anyway.

Reid can't be any worse than Melican driving me insane. Wouldn't be shocked if Paddy plays anyway.
I do not think Paddy can play for 12 days due to AFL protocol (even though he was nervous and unable to answer the required questions correctly).

I do not think Paddy can play for 12 days due to AFL protocol (even though he was nervous and unable to answer the required questions correctly).

Arrh forgot that rule, means Logan would be unlikely too...dead set Melican on a Sunday and I can't drink Sunday before work the next day...this is going swell

Because Reid is a crap back. That is why they only play him forward. Sure he is good as the extra in the backs but anyone can play as a loose person in defence. A few years ago when he was put back there after playing extra for most of the season he played I think 3, maybe 4 games, he was terrible in 2 of those. He got toweled up by every decent forward. He is simply not a back. Melican is not as terrible as you seem to think. He's solid is Lewis. Sure he gets beaten by the giants, that is because he wasn't drafted as a, nor did he play, key defender in the juniors. he was drafted as a running half back who could take a third forward. He has the height and weight but the role of minding monsters is not a natural thing for him. Intercept, run off and sting sides with good delivery yes, monster minding, no. I prefer him on the smaller of the key forwards but he would be ok for McStay, although Mcinerney would be a longshot.

The other option is Gould, who is only 191 and 97. He lacks a lot of height. But in the reserves he has been playing on much taller forwards and blunting them. he has kept some pretty good players very quiet while still getting plenty of ball himself with intercept marking. Has the ability to take small or tall and is really quite fast, with fantastic closing speed and a takle to die for. I mean that literally, if they get tackled by this guy they nearly die. He uses every bit of his 97 kilos in the tackle or bump. In one preseason game last year he hit a bloke who went 5 metres through the air, it was a wonderful, clean bump. But his main game is intercepting. So he might be the Paddy replacement as that is what Paddy does.

Because Reid is a crap back. That is why they only play him forward. Sure he is good as the extra in the backs but anyone can play as a loose person in defence. A few years ago when he was put back there after playing extra for most of the season he played I think 3, maybe 4 games, he was terrible in 2 of those. He got toweled up by every decent forward. He is simply not a back. Melican is not as terrible as you seem to think. He's solid is Lewis. Sure he gets beaten by the giants, that is because he wasn't drafted as a, nor did he play, key defender in the juniors. he was drafted as a running half back who could take a third forward. He has the height and weight but the role of minding monsters is not a natural thing for him. Intercept, run off and sting sides with good delivery yes, monster minding, no. I prefer him on the smaller of the key forwards but he would be ok for McStay, although Mcinerney would be a longshot.

The other option is Gould, who is only 191 and 97. He lacks a lot of height. But in the reserves he has been playing on much taller forwards and blunting them. he has kept some pretty good players very quiet while still getting plenty of ball himself with intercept marking. Has the ability to take small or tall and is really quite fast, with fantastic closing speed and a takle to die for. I mean that literally, if they get tackled by this guy they nearly die. He uses every bit of his 97 kilos in the tackle or bump. In one preseason game last year he hit a bloke who went 5 metres through the air, it was a wonderful, clean bump. But his main game is intercepting. So he might be the Paddy replacement as that is what Paddy does.
We need a tall forward and a tall back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back