Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

It's positive but in a back-handed way. Swans aren't much without Heeney.
Heeney is making us look a lot better, so what? We have other players who are dangerous in several positions. Flexibility is something Horse sees as a strength, especially among our mids. Heeney's not alone in being tough to match up on when he moves between positions, he just does it better than most.

I expect teams have considered tagging Heeney but any player good enough to go with him in several positions would be wasted in a run-with role. Perhaps a talented inside/outside/defensive mid (eg, Mills) could go with him but that's a high cost to curb Heeney's influence considering our spread of goal-kicking mids who are damaging inside 50.

Heeney is making us look a lot better, so what? We have other players who are dangerous in several positions. Flexibility is something Horse sees as a strength, especially among our mids. Heeney's not alone in being tough to match up on when he moves between positions, he just does it better than most.

I expect teams have considered tagging Heeney but any player good enough to go with him in several positions would be wasted in a run-with role. Perhaps a talented inside/outside/defensive mid (eg, Mills) could go with him but that's a high cost to curb Heeney's influence considering our spread of goal-kicking mids who are damaging inside 50.
Agree RD.

I just think David King has contradicted himself with the sentence, "Stop Heeney and you stop the Swans." He's talking about Heeney's form and showing packages how amazing Heeney's been from his last two games... when we've been bang average.

Heeney's continued on his merry way having what King's previously described as the best opening five games to a season in Champion Data's history, and two of those games Swans have somewhat struggled in. Suggests to me that it's not Heeney you need to stop if you want to stop Sydney, but actually the rest.

These footy media heads are so unbelievably individual-focused, it's actually incredible to think any of them played the sport themselves with 21 other blokes.

'We want to stay together': Uncontracted Swan keen to stay​

Logan McDonald indicates he wants to sign a new deal to stay at the Swans

Sign up lads, sign up. Errol and Rowy have committed. Think of the team and put your X in the box marked Swannies.

I hope we not only sign them up but get them all married off to good Sydney girls....bad Sydney girls...or even Sydney boys. Just as long as they don't ever end up with a homesick partner and another Jordan Dawson scenario.

Agree RD.

I just think David King has contradicted himself with the sentence, "Stop Heeney and you stop the Swans." He's talking about Heeney's form and showing packages how amazing Heeney's been from his last two games... when we've been bang average.

Heeney's continued on his merry way having what King's previously described as the best opening five games to a season in Champion Data's history, and two of those games Swans have somewhat struggled in. Suggests to me that it's not Heeney you need to stop if you want to stop Sydney, but actually the rest.

These footy media heads are so unbelievably individual-focused, it's actually incredible to think any of them played the sport themselves with 21 other blokes.
Red meat for opposition fans who want to believe we're a one hit wonder

Agree RD.

I disagree... I think David's analysis is pretty sound, and there was nothing to indicate he cherrypicked games or numbers. By the same token, stopping Heeney is like saying 'Stop Gawn' or Stop Bontempelli' (i.e. much easier said than done).

Heeney is far and away our best player atm, and his impact on games, regardless of how well or poorly the rest of the team is playing, cannot be underestimated. I do agree that the price of stopping him is someone of Mills quality, which for most teams is not worth the cost; however, I also think that if you do stop him it will significantly damage our ability to enter F50, and to turn those entries into scores... Think the Cats, Port and GWS using a wing/halfback flanker to stop him, I'll be watching the Suns because I reckon they'll try to...

On another note, how well is Horse training all these mids in multi roles turning out?

19APR24: Swans Daily Media New

One loss and it’s the end of the world

We won our last game. I think it's the trend over the last two games and even before that many on here were concerned about the level of performance.

I disagree... I think David's analysis is pretty sound, and there was nothing to indicate he cherrypicked games or numbers. By the same token, stopping Heeney is like saying 'Stop Gawn' or Stop Bontempelli' (i.e. much easier said than done).

Heeney is far and away our best player atm, and his impact on games, regardless of how well or poorly the rest of the team is playing, cannot be underestimated. I do agree that the price of stopping him is someone of Mills quality, which for most teams is not worth the cost; however, I also think that if you do stop him it will significantly damage our ability to enter F50, and to turn those entries into scores... Think the Cats, Port and GWS using a wing/halfback flanker to stop him, I'll be watching the Suns because I reckon they'll try to...

On another note, how well is Horse training all these mids in multi roles turning out?
People said the same in the past about Gulden, about Warner, about Mills, about Buddy, etc. Heeney's our best player right now but that doesn't mean he'll be our best player in the next five weeks when we might be just as good, maybe even better. It's an insane call to make five weeks into a season, and King should know this better than anyone - just a few weeks ago he was going on about how we have so many weapons that if one doesn't get you, another will. Took two games for him to change his tune.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People said the same in the past about Gulden, about Warner, about Mills, about Buddy, etc. Heeney's our best player right now but that doesn't mean he'll be our best player in the next five weeks when we might be just as good, maybe even better. It's an insane call to make five weeks into a season, and King should know this better than anyone - just a few weeks ago he was going on about how we have so many weapons that if one doesn't get you, another will. Took two games for him to change his tune.

Well of course he means 'at the moment'. What did you think he meant? That for the rest of the season we're going to be reliant on Heeney?

Well of course he means 'at the moment'. What did you think he meant? That for the rest of the season we're going to be reliant on Heeney?
Well he can't have meant 'at the moment', because like I said, no one's stopped Heeney yet the Swans have still struggled.

So either he's talking about the current team, form etc., and it's an inaccurate take based on how Heeney & the team is going.

Or he's talking about the team, form etc. across the whole season, and it's a dumb take based on the fact we're a fifth of the way through it.

Well he can't have meant 'at the moment', because like I said, no one's stopped Heeney yet the Swans have still struggled.

So either he's talking about the current team, form etc., and it's an inaccurate take based on how Heeney & the team is going.

Or he's talking about the team, form etc. across the whole season, and it's a dumb take based on the fact we're a fifth of the way through it.
But he's pointed out the underlying issues with our game that Heeney is covering for.

Which just reinforces to me that it's more than just Heeney that make us a good side.
I’m going to reserve judgement on whether we’re a good side, a very good side, or just an average side until around mid-season.

Of all the sides in the AFL, our past two-and-a-bit seasons have been perhaps the most inconsistent.

Was 2022 a flash in the pan?

Was 2023 an aberration caused by a dreadful injury list?

Is our true position somewhere in the middle?

I honestly don’t know yet.

I’m going to reserve judgement on whether we’re a good side, a very good side, or just an average side until around mid-season.

Of all the sides in the AFL, our past two-and-a-bit seasons have been perhaps the most inconsistent.

I mostly agree with this.

I think there's an element of the media in general (and King in particular) shouting our praises too loudly based off the limited evidence of the first couple of weeks, and now swinging the pendulum too far the other way.

Our last two matches haven't been great, but we only played one really poor quarter in each - the third against the Tigers and the second against the Eagles. Against the Tigers we actually came out strongly at the start of the fourth quarter and were well on top in general play but our delivery forward was poor during that period, and we weren't able to create the scoreboard buffer that our control of the game suggested we should.

And the current Eagles outfit is far stronger than people are giving them credit for. Yeo is fit and in form. Kelly and McGovern are in reasonable form. Reid is growing in confidence. I expect them to give Freo a run for their money this round. Indeed, if I were in a tipping comp this season, I'd lean towards tipping the Eagles.

But inconsistency is playing out across the competition. The Demons had three really good weeks but looked dreadfully flat last weekend. Essendon were awful against Port but fantastic against the Bulldogs, who in turn were poor in that match but blew St Kilda away last night.

There's very little separating most clubs in terms of talent, conditioning and functional game plan. The ability to execute close to maximum ability week after week is largely mental. And it's very hard to do so every single week for 23 rounds of the home and away. Every club is going to have lapses for a game here or there, or even just a quarter here and there that costs a win.

Furthermore, to win a premiership a team needs to adapt as the season goes on - adapt to what's working and what's not; adapt to what other clubs are doing; adapt to injuries; adapt to which players have improved, which are in form, and which are struggling.

GWS and Carlton were awful for most of the first half of last season and yet both narrowly lost preliminary finals. In 2005, at the midway point of the season, we played the most goddamawful game against St Kilda that had Demetriou publicly slamming us. One year in the mid naughties (can't remember which) the Saints won their first twelve games of the season but then went to the movies midweek, lost to us in r13 at the SCG and it was season over for them.

So yes, it's a cliche, but premierships are won in September (occasionally October) and March to August is all about learning and improving.

Agree DQ.

Been a weird few years. Feels like we're in a window but still don't know if it's a premiership one or just something like this

Agree DQ.

Been a weird few years. Feels like we're in a window but still don't know if it's a premiership one or just something like this

Its somewhere in the middle in 2021 we started on fire then dropped a few games in a row regrouped and finished the season strongly hovered between 5-8th for the whole season.

Its somewhere in the middle in 2021 we started on fire then dropped a few games in a row regrouped and finished the season strongly hovered between 5-8th for the whole season.
Yeah I think that's why we're a good team, nothing more at this stage. As much as the last three years have felt like a really positive period for us, other than a six or seven week period in the back end of 2022, I don't actually think we've looked like contenders at any other point in those three years.

That's a bad thing if the last three years have been part of a so-called 'window', as it means we've underperformed. It's a good thing if the next three years are part of a so-called windows, as it means we've probably overperformed en route to getting there.

Very interesting times ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back