Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I text SEN today as they talk about everyone else , i said what about a bit of love for him in the top team
The old, old story. Defenders are invisible unless they're the glamour boys who run the ball out and get lots of possessions. Three NM and a WCE kid in the top bunch. Shakes head

The old, old story. Defenders are invisible unless they're the glamour boys who run the ball out and get lots of possessions. Three NM and a WCE kid in the top bunch. Shakes head
I recall Mills was getting practically ignored until the calls & stats became too loud to ignore.

I've been saying this for yonks. If a player commits a reportable offence and takes a player out of the game, they sit out as well, or for as long as the other player is on the bench.

What if they end up being found not guilty subsequently?

Only sit them out if they took another player out of the game. If somehow the are not guilty, they've only missed the portion of the game they forced the other player into missing.

great work ... please post the reply ... although it may be wishful thinking to expect one
Reply. You can't be serious!!
I've sent numerous emails and texts to SEN over the past couple of years and have not had a single reply. Sometimes I've simply asked a question yet still fail to receive a reply.

Only sit them out if they took another player out of the game. If somehow the are not guilty, they've only missed the portion of the game they forced the other player into missing.

Not against it , just thinking out loud.

What if say on examination it turned out they were nudged into a contest, player who got hit was at fault. if its discretion of the officials they probably f it up at times.

Flip side I guess red cards work in other sports, just the AFL like to make these rules and implement poorly.

This.

Remember Tom McCartin being provisionally suspended by the MRP last season after he collected Shane McAdam in the face and fractured his jaw? The Swans challenged successfully after showing that Tom was genuinely contesting a ball that took an unpredictable bounce. But from the vision initially available that wasn't clear.

I also think it's disingenuous to create a headline saying Longmire has raised the possibility of a red card. He was responding to a question asked by a journalist. He didn't initiate the topic. And he was very circumspect in what he said, stressing that he viewed the Brown bump on McCartin as essentially accidental.

The question of "evening up" player availability is fraught with danger. As it happens, both teams were down an important cog from quite early in the game after Green was subbed out with his ankle injury. That truly was accidental. But had McCartin not been subbed out shortly after Green, the Giants would have been down a player in circumstances for which no-one was going to be held accountable. Should the field be evened up for that? Clearly not. It's one of the reasons we have a sub and a bench of players to rotate through the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.

Remember Tom McCartin being provisionally suspended by the MRP last season after he collected Shane McAdam in the face and fractured his jaw? The Swans challenged successfully after showing that Tom was genuinely contesting a ball that took an unpredictable bounce. But from the vision initially available that wasn't clear.

I also think it's disingenuous to create a headline saying Longmire has raised the possibility of a red card. He was responding to a question asked by a journalist. He didn't initiate the topic. And he was very circumspect in what he said, stressing that he viewed the Brown bump on McCartin as essentially accidental.

The question of "evening up" player availability is fraught with danger. As it happens, both teams were down an important cog from quite early in the game after Green was subbed out with his ankle injury. That truly was accidental. But had McCartin not been subbed out shortly after Green, the Giants would have been down a player in circumstances for which no-one was going to be held accountable. Should the field be evened up for that? Clearly not. It's one of the reasons we have a sub and a bench of players to rotate through the game.
Sadly we have to be very, very careful with what the media report.

This is the ridiculous argument being thrown up by the media.
The send off rule would not apply to incidents where a player could not possibly get off. It would be for a punch to the head causing concussion. A bump such as the Webster one earlier this year where he copped a 7 week ban. It's easy to tell the incidents where a player has caused an injury to another player and has no hope of being found not guilty. These are the actions when the send off rule should apply.

I've been saying this for yonks. If a player commits a reportable offence and takes a player out of the game, they sit out as well, or for as long as the other player is on the bench.

I was on that train but it's too open for abuse and interpretation.

I like the idea of keeping it as it is but tack on an extra game that carries over until those teams meet again. No idea how that works over a trade period but imagine missing a final because of a suspension in an earlier round. Definately shifts the onus back on the player

I personally like the idea that in head high contact cases, the player at fault is out for whatever penalty the panel decides, plus cannot return until the injured player does, or is medically retired. So if the injured player returns after the protocol ceases, then the 'at fault' player is free to return after the penalty; but if the injured player is out for 6 weeks, then the at fault player cannot return until then... The uncertainty would ensure that coaches stamped out the behaviour.

Not going to happen... but I reckon it would sort the problem out pretty damn quick!

Brown deliberately took out McCartin and used his elbow.

Should have got 6 weeks.

Like the idea of the offender, irrespective of penalty, not being eligible to play until the victim returns. If a medial retirement results the offender misses the rest of the season.

08MAY24: Swans Daily Media New
I've highjacked Adnico26Parker post for our Daily Media thread . Please forgive me A26 🙏

Power Rankings:
And we finally get some acknowledgement it wasn't just because it rained that we won

A JJ shoutout for his excellent shutdown roll on Whitfield

Matty Roberts on Sportsday last night

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that umpires can already do this*.

* But not in the AFL.

From the laws of the game 2022 (can't find the 2024 version)

23. ORDER OFF LAW
23.1 APPLICATION
This Law 23 applies to all competitions other than the AFL competition.
23.2 ORDER OFF REPORTABLE OFFENCES
In addition to being reported, a field or emergency Umpire shall order the Player reported
from the Playing Surface for the remainder of the Match if the Player is reported for any of
the following Reportable Offences:
(a) intentionally striking, kicking, kneeing, stomping, eye-gouging or head-butting
another person;
(b) intentionally striking or making contact with an Umpire;
(c) attempting to strike or make contact with an Umpire;
(d) using abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene language towards or in relation
to an Umpire;
(e) behaving in an abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene manner towards or in
relation to an Umpire;
(f) spitting on another person;
(g) an act of serious misconduct.
A Controlling Body may specify other Reportable Offences or conduct for which a Player
may be ordered from the Playing Surface for the remainder of the Match

Not sure who the interviewer of Matty Roberts on Sportsday was but someone had done some good research in preparation. Unfortunately, despite that, the interview did not turn up a lot that was new or colourful. Matty clearly took in his pre-interview media briefing with Hayley Falkiner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back