Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is - we are the straight bat of teams atm.

No nail-biting finishes of old which garner the excitement of discussion and viewership. These types of games will always dominate the footy news on Monday. Who doesn't love an upset and exciting finish?

As for the players causing controversy, they had to manufacture an issue to get headlines.

Horse gives them nothing. Our president & CEO are too smart for them by half.

We are the Malinois sitting in the corner supreme in its ability and they're just letting the sleeping dog lie because a pissed off Malinois will mess you up.

all that makes sense, but the swans are hardly a dull side
one of the really disappointing aspects of this patchy coverage of clearly the best and most exciting team in the competition (to this point) is that so many commentators/analysts seem almost bored talking about us ...
as if they're resigned to the fact they're obliged to mention us but would really rather get it over with quickly, like pulling off a band-aid ...
yet they'll foam and froth over, say, west coast beating melbourne (which was a great win, but it's not like the weagles are challenging for a premiership) or anything essendon do

I share the majority of the boards' frustration when it comes to a lack of coverage in the mainstream media, but instead of going back to a well that will be dry most of the time I would recommend searching out some Swans specific fan media. You'll get your fix of Swans discussion.

a poster used the word 'disrespectful' to describe the medias treatment of the Swans.
The individuals in the media are allowed to be..
- biased (especially for the team they played for), allowed to be controversial, they're allowed to simply get things wrong and in the case of robbo, they're allowed to be drunks who turn up to the opening show 30mins late.... Im ok with all of that,,, but..
The one thing the media is not allowed is to be disrespectful! OtC and 360 (to name two of many) have been Disrespectful to the Swans players, the coaches, the entire club.. and absolutely disrespected the over 2 000 000 Swans fans.

I won't be watching the couch or 360 again.
Think I've come to the same decision - and I've been watching both shows so long my 20something daughters recently fessed up they thought of Robbo and Gerard as father figures because they played such an influential role in their early lives.

I share the majority of the boards' frustration when it comes to a lack of coverage in the mainstream media, but instead of going back to a well that will be dry most of the time I would recommend searching out some Swans specific fan media. You'll get your fix of Swans discussion.

Eddie has a podcast every week with Bartel. It goes up on YouTube as well.

Last week they discussed us. Eddie said Collingwood are missing Taylor Adams and Rowbottom used to barrack for Collingwood.

This week he said academies are unfair.

So there is Sydney content out there ...

Eddie has a podcast every week with Bartel. It goes up on YouTube as well.

Last week they discussed us. Eddie said Collingwood are missing Taylor Adams and Rowbottom used to barrack for Collingwood.

This week he said academies are unfair.

So there is Sydney content out there ...

Personally I wouldn’t have a problem if the name Eddie Maguire was permanently banned from this board. I don’t think any self-respecting Swans fan should have any interest in listening to the opinions of that man. Aside from the fact that he’s horribly biased and a blithering idiot 95% of the time - he racially vilified one of our greatest ever players and never really apologised for it, learned from it or faced any real consequences for it.

He’s a relic from a bygone era of media that we should have moved on from a long time ago. That he still has a national platform to talk about football is exhibit number one of why the AFL media is so substandard compared to other sporting media around the world.

Since we're all sharing our perspectives on the footy media, I thought I would share mine.

I used to be a footy media fiend. Think it started around 2014 when I was in uni and I'd listen to a lot of the old audio clips from SEN, Fox Footy etc on the way to classes etc. We were flying that year so naturally I was craving more of that external validation that yes, we really were as good as we looked.

It's pretty much been a gradual decline in interest in that validation from me in the decade since, to the point I now only read or listen to only one or two things a week on the Swans, and that's only if I'm bored. But there were two things that really killed my interest in that external validation.

#1 - One of my best mates who works in the player agency field in Melbourne (an industry that is often in cahoots with the media industry anyway), lifted the lid for me on how it really is just a business. What and who the pundits will talk about are all planned hours and days beforehand - right down to mind-mapped soundbites & quotes (I physically cringed picturing this) - based on drawing eyeballs to their TV programs and clicks on their online articles. They need their content to go viral more than they need to give honest assessments. This is why so much of the media is Victorian-centric. That's where the eyeballs and clicks are. They will showcase the non-Victorian clubs when they want to sell something - either disaster (West Coast last year, Adelaide's training camp, Gold Coast's entire existence), or stardom (Brownlow/Coleman/Rising Star favourites, big-name trade targets, etc.) Both can draw said eyeballs and clicks more than a simple discussion about the consistency of the Swans, or the boring but reliably competitive Freo, or GWS' plethora of decent talls. That is why the four Swans whose names have gotten the biggest workout in the media this year are Heeney, Warner, Gulden (stardom) and Hayward (trade target.) And in the past, as has been well-documented, it was Buddy. This is also particularly boring for me, which brings me to the second reason I've lost interest in the media.

#2 - As I haven't really made any secret of, I tend to get drawn to players who rarely fit the above bill, especially defenders. Some of my favourite Swans of all time are Nick Malceski, Heath Grundy, Nick Smith, Dane Rampe and Jake Lloyd. (Granted, Adam Goodes and Isaac Heeney are also in there, while Gulden is rising in the ranks too - they're just too good and loveable.) The media has no time for these sorts of players. They are (mostly) quiet achievers, they (mostly) avoid controversy, they (mostly) don't have lots of highlights or blow up the stats sheet. (All the 'mostly's there belong to Rampe.) So there's no point listening to or watching footy media seeking validation about players they are never going to validate. A classic example came on the weekend. At half time Garry Lyon & co touted our pressure to get us back and on top in the game. No mention of James Rowbottom, who was clearly the best pressure player on the ground to that point. OK fine, maybe they're swept up in how exciting Heeney & Warner were playing. At three quarter time after the barrage we threw at Carlton, Garry Lyon & co laud our contested ball and centre clearance wins that quarter. No mention of James Rowbottom, who was clearly the best contested player and centre clearance player in that quarter, instead talking non-stop about Heeney & Warner. Geez he's stiff, but OK maybe they just aren't that familiar with what he brings. Post-match when all is said and done, Garry Lyon & co bang on about tackling and how important it is, specifically how poor Carlton were in this regard. No mention of James Rowbottom, who laid 16 of the damn things. Oh, other than to show an example of him breaking one of Carlton's tackles to kick a goal and saying what poor tackling by the Blues it was. But then they do perhaps the funniest thing. They then laud Warner & Heeney's ability to break Carlton's tackles all night.

Frustrated Head GIF

At some point it becomes plainly obvious that they're just moving goalposts so they can talk about who they want to talk about and they don't have to talk about who they don't want to talk about. There's no actual substance to any of it. Throw the whole lot of em in the bin.

(But at the same time I respect everyone's right to enjoy what they enjoy - although it doesn't seem like people are enjoying the media much this year!)

Apologies for the rant.

I like listening to footy media because I like footy and don't just listen for self-validation about the team I support. I find it a bit strange when that's all people want out of the media but will then turn around and complain when the media does exactly this about other people's teams. This past fortnight I've been frustrated not because MY team isn't getting coverage but because the Swans happen to be the best team in the comp and are being ignored. The two are very distinctly different things though.

if idiots are willing to pay for it, I'll write any article, of any length, validating or invalidating, any view or point that you would like.

Hint: This is what the MSM does.

Agreed. Lots of great Swan podcasts out there people can listen to. You can't link to those podcasts due to BF Rules but I can give everyone 4 of my favourites.
TrueBloods Footy podcast
A Bevy of Bloods
DonniesDisposal which covers not only the Swans but Australian Footy in general AFLW & VFL as well
AFL Today Show on Youtube: This one is more rounded but given one of the panellists is a Swans fan we get our fair share of discussion on the podcast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Lots of great Swan podcasts out there people can listen to. You can't link to those podcasts due to BF Rules but I can give everyone 4 of my favourites.
TrueBloods Footy podcast
A Bevy of Bloods
DonniesDisposal which covers not only the Swans but Australian Footy in general AFLW & VFL as well
AFL Today Show on Youtube: This one is more rounded but given one of the panellists is a Swans fan we get our fair share of discussion on the podcast

Really? What's the rule?

"Posts with the sole aim of directing traffic to other sites is not allowed, whether commercial or non-commercial"

Hm, even if it's to stimulate discussion on BF? I think the focus on that rule should be on the word 'sole'.

If you're posting a podcast in order to have discussion in this thread off the back of it surely that's fine?

But apparently YouTube or Twitter links are fine.

This place is such a joke

Yeah that's what I'm confused by. A link to a youtube video is by definition directing traffic to Youtube, likewise a tweet is directing traffic to Twitter. To suggest that a podcast link is in some way different is quite strange.

Lachlan McKirdy

@LMcKirdy7

Tom McCartin will miss this week again for the Swans.John Longmire confirmed that the key defender has been training strongly this week since his concussion, but the Thursday night game counted against him. He now also has the benefit of an extra week off with the bye.

Lachlan McKirdy
@LMcKirdy7

Tom McCartin will miss this week again for the Swans.John Longmire confirmed that the key defender has been training strongly this week since his concussion, but the Thursday night game counted against him. He now also has the benefit of an extra week off with the bye.
Well bugger. That's the last time I'm listening to Paddy when he's asked the question.

"Posts with the sole aim of directing traffic to other sites is not allowed, whether commercial or non-commercial"
I find that a bizarre rule. If another site has created content that might be of interest to BF posters, surely it is only right that they get the benefit of traffic if those posters want to enjoy the material. Otherwise you encourage plagarism and/or copyright infringement. It's not as if enjoying other sites' content where it was created takes traffic away from BF.

And this thread is full of links to podcasts (eg SEN) and articles published elsewhere.

I could understand it if the publisher of the material were paying people to advertise it on BF, but that's not what's happening here, surely?

I find that a bizarre rule. If another site has created content that might be of interest to BF posters, surely it is only right that they get the benefit of traffic if those posters want to enjoy the material. Otherwise you encourage plagarism and/or copyright infringement. It's not as if enjoying other sites' content where it was created takes traffic away from BF.

And this thread is full of links to podcasts (eg SEN) and articles published elsewhere.

I could understand it if the publisher of the material were paying people to advertise it on BF, but that's not what's happening here, surely?
Big footy is a privately owned site. They have a right to set those rules and as users we have all agreed to abide by those rules.

Feel free to take that discussion up with Chief if you so wish.

Think I've come to the same decision - and I've been watching both shows so long my 20something daughters recently fessed up they thought of Robbo and Gerard as father figures because they played such an influential role in their early lives.

Crikey. Poor kids. Did they develop a taste for:
  • Winnie Blues,
  • coronas,
  • hanging about gentleman establishments,
  • chowing down on kebabs and pizzas (for salad and veggie intake)
  • crocheting kebab and dimmie wrappers into doona covers,
  • waving their hands about
From Uncle Slobbo?

And from Gerry the Nerdling did they acquire a taste for:

• Pomposity,
  • Using 27 words when three would suffice,
  • Chowing down on a thesaurus,
  • Invariably being on he wrong side of history.
Congratulations. Your kids share a lovely sense of humour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back