Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s very open from Longmire. I didn’t expect that. It felt like one of them was goading him when they asked if McCartin would come back through the reserves, directly comparing it to Luke Parker’s situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn’t McCartin come through the reserves after his concussion last year? It’s not an unreasonable question.

Didn’t McCartin come through the reserves after his concussion last year? It’s not an unreasonable question.
Not after the initial concussion he missed two weeks snd went straight back into the seniors. However when he had further concussion symptoms and missed 2 months of football he went through the reserves.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn’t have a problem if the name Eddie Maguire was permanently banned from this board. I don’t think any self-respecting Swans fan should have any interest in listening to the opinions of that man. Aside from the fact that he’s horribly biased and a blithering idiot 95% of the time - he racially vilified one of our greatest ever players and never really apologised for it, learned from it or faced any real consequences for it.

He’s a relic from a bygone era of media that we should have moved on from a long time ago. That he still has a national platform to talk about football is exhibit number one of why the AFL media is so substandard compared to other sporting media around the world.

Hear, hear. SO very well put.

I hereby put forward the following mandates:

The Voldemort rule:
Those who mention he who should not be named get a 4 week BF ban.

The Cersei rule:
Those who post a picture of he who should not be seen will have to walk from Flinders Square to the MCG naked on the 28th September, with all Swans BF members present following behind chanting 'Shame, shame, shame..' continuously.

Agreed. Lots of great Swan podcasts out there people can listen to. You can't link to those podcasts due to BF Rules but I can give everyone 4 of my favourites.
TrueBloods Footy podcast
A Bevy of Bloods
DonniesDisposal which covers not only the Swans but Australian Footy in general AFLW & VFL as well
AFL Today Show on Youtube: This one is more rounded but given one of the panellists is a Swans fan we get our fair share of discussion on the podcast

I concur with all the above... I look forward to each on a weekly basis to fill that missing media gap.

Daniel Hoyne says Swans peaked too early. Only 1 in 8 teams in previous yeads have won premiership from here.
I mean, there's value to the idea. When you are this far ahead this early, a lot of teams spend a lot of time looking at you. That said, we generally have responded well to different challenges. And as SM says, have we peaked yet?

Edit: Listening, that seems to be Hoyne's point. A lot of time to pick apart the plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just when we thought the Buddy references had muted they reel him back in..Damo loves us.

Swans with 2 on this list
Ralph did the same story the day before

Have we peaked?

anyone in the football media suggesting the swans have "peaked" is guilty of wishful thinking or wilful ignorance
we're 10 games into the grundy/jordon/adams era, so there's definitely scope for considerable improvement as a team, and so far that team has responded to almost every challenge so far (ok, the mighty tigers seem to have our measure but fortunately we're unlikely to face them again this season)

in terms of individual players, the likes of mcdonald, amartey et al are only just starting to show glimpses of their potential, and even gulden is yet to really tear apart a game as he did last year, but hasn't been required to because of the improved form of several others
looking at our season's trajectory, arguably our best football was the last three-and-a-bit quarters of our most recent game, against a team many in the football media still believe (maybe not as strongly as they did a month ago) is a genuine premiership contender ...
and we're still yet to see mills, parker (yes, he now carries a big question mark) and sheldrick in the senior team

"peaked"? ha!

Last edited:
I will say though that this is the sentiment I expressed the other day about not being too fussed if we lose to Dogs. Complacency can do funny things to teams and momentum can then stall and unravel, so needing to stay on our toes is worthwhile.

I mean, there's value to the idea. When you are this far ahead this early, a lot of teams spend a lot of time looking at you. That said, we generally have responded well to different challenges. And as SM says, have we peaked yet?

Edit: Listening, that seems to be Hoyne's point. A lot of time to pick apart the plan.

Seems a fair enough call, and history agrees with it, can remember Hawks stopping Geelongs overlap run by taking blokes out off the ball (they changed the rules after that), but it gives plenty of time to come up with "interesting" strategy to combat it.

Daniel Hoyne says Swans peaked too early. Only 1 in 8 teams in previous yeads have won premiership from here.

I love these stats.
Stats dont lie and Hoynie, who, when at the pub talking footy stats I refer to as 'The Oracle', is an exceptional stats man.
The Oracle says...
"8 times in the last 14 years has a team had a percentage 15% or more than the next best and only once in those 8 times has that team won the flag".
I was very disappointed when The Oracle failed to mention the other relevant historical stats - I guess he was pressed for time as he hadn't mentioned Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon yet..
So when a team after round 10 has a percentage of 25% better than the next best
- 12 times in the last 14 years has a team had the 2nd best percentage and never in those 12 times has that team won the flag.
- 9 times in the last 9 years has a team had the 3rd best percentage and never in those 9 times has that team won the flag.
- 15 times in the last 16 years has a team had the 4th best percentage and never in those 15 times has that team won the flag.
- 8 times in the last 10 years has a team had the 5th best percentage and never in those 8 times has that team won the flag.
- 7 times in the last 7 years has a team had the 6th best percentage and never in those 7 times has that team won the flag.
- 14 times in the last 15 years has a team had the 3rd best percentage and never in those 14 times has that team won the flag.
and to conclude..
- 5 times in the last 20 years has a team had a percentage 25% or more than the next best and all five of those times that team has won the flag.

Like me, The Oracle loves history. "History doesn't lie" he regularly says, and this slice of history is saying that the Swans are 100% going to win the flag.
Get excited Swans fans!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back