Umpiring Swans v Tigers - Should it have been 50?

Was it 50?

• Yes definitely a 50

Votes: 68 44.2%
  • No not a 50

Votes: 57 37.0%
  • Unsure but I think common sense did prevail

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • We waz robbed!

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a shame the focus is on this one particular non-decision, which is actually one of the better ones. Had it been in play it wouldn't have been 50, only reason it's got attention is because of the stakes. You'd get plenty of identical calls every game.

The rest of the umpiring was horrendous, with bad calls going both ways (second quarter was terrible for the Swans, but we got a few eveners in the second half).

It was a ridiculous call for a free in the first place, the last 5 mins played out with countless indiscretions on both sides of the ledger.

Umpires pay 60 technical free kicks in a game - Uproar from punters that the game is over officiated and was ruined
Umpires don't pay a 50m penalty that may have been technically there - What atrocious umpiring, game was ruined

Can't win.

Would have been a joke if it had have been paid. A second between the whistle and the siren with a raucous crowd.

He didn't try to kick it away to give his team time to man up or to deprive Prestia of the ball. He kicked it away to celebrate a victory.

Those saying they expect no free to be paid after a ball is kicked after the whistle ever again, are being overly dramatic in the heat of the moment.

You'd argue against a 50m every single time in that scenario if it were your team.

Honestly, I think Brian Taylor's hyperbole sucks most people in as well. He's a complete tool.

Generally if it's unclear which team got the free kick, the umpires only give a 50 metre for kicking the ball away from the contest if they've announced which team gets the free kick.

As far as I can tell he hadn't got that far through the decision yet, so a 50 metre would be very strict officiating.

If the umpire had called out "Richmond free kick" before the siren and Warner kicks the ball away then 100% should be 50 metres.

Few people here don't know that the game is only over when the umpire raises both arms and blows the whistle to end the game. The siren is not the end of the game.

People know. The suggestion is that Warner reacted to what he thought was the end of the game. The whistle and siren were quite close together.

Should have reversed the free kick for dissent from Richmond players. Too much dissent went unpunished in that game.

That's a standard Sydney vs Essendon finish. We were too s**t to get close to them so the umps took it out on the other sash.
That's 100% 50m. We had a similar one paid for us vs Fremantle earlier in the year. "Commonsense". Please. Making it up as they go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a shame the focus is on this one particular non-decision, which is actually one of the better ones. Had it been in play it wouldn't have been 50, only reason it's got attention is because of the stakes. You'd get plenty of identical calls every game.

The rest of the umpiring was horrendous, with bad calls going both ways (second quarter was terrible for the Swans, but we got a few eveners in the second half).

Had it been in play? So Jimmy Stynes penalty wasn’t in play?

Can you show a list of things that can’t be 50 after the siren and what can be?

When the free kick was paid the game is still in play until after the kick is taken … the siren hasnt finished the game… it was 50.

Common sense prevailed??? What the heck does that even mean?

Technically it was but there were a lot of worse calls throughout the game which lead to goals. Those should be scrutinised just as much but won't be. Umpires have been lenient in the past when players have kicked the ball away immediately after a whistle was blown. Happy for it not to decide a game.

Umpires pay 60 technical free kicks in a game - Uproar from punters that the game is over officiated and was ruined
Umpires don't pay a 50m penalty that may have been technically there - What atrocious umpiring, game was ruined

Can't win.
Well they can win, be consistent with their approach

If you want to say that a technical 50 is not going to be paid because of common sense that’s fine just means you need to apply a layer of common sense to all the decisions during the game

It’s clear there has been a directive to the umpires to pay the free kicks regardless of situation. It’s why the free kick counts are getting so high

It’s also why this non decision stings for me

Well they can win, be consistent with their approach

If you want to say that a technical 50 is not going to be paid because of common sense that’s fine just means you need to apply a layer of common sense to all the decisions during the game

It’s clear there has been a directive to the umpires to pay the free kicks regardless of situation. It’s why the free kick counts are getting so high

It’s also why this non decision stings for me

Then you’d understand when Gulden tackled your player in our forward 50 and he dropped it cold and there was no call but rather pinged Gulden a few seconds later for laying on the footy.

That it is frustrating as Richmond take it up the other end and score.

Howler of the night not the non 50 to draw call so everyone could feel flat.

Had it been in play? So Jimmy Stynes penalty wasn’t in play?

Can you show a list of things that can’t be 50 after the siren and what can be?

When the free kick was paid the game is still in play until after the kick is taken … the siren hasnt finished the game… it was 50.

Common sense prevailed??? What the heck does that even mean?

"General" play then.

I never said it can't be 50 after the siren. Quite the opposite. My point is the siren is irrelevant. Every game we see free kicks paid, with the penalised team disposing of the ball after the whistle has blown, but before realising it's a free kick against them. And provided the umpire is satisfied that the player reasonably wouldn't have known it was a free kick, they don't pay 50.

That's EXACTLY what happened here. Shai Bolton getting some possibly harsh calls last week doesn't change the fact that there are tons of similar calls that go this way every single game.

The ONLY reason it's even being questioned is because of the stakes. Which is why I say if it was in general play and Warner had kicked it to a team mate it wouldn't even have raised an eyebrow.

I am in the camp of it being 50m. You can understand that not paying 50m if the ball is disposed of simultaneous to the whistle or even slightly after it, if the player is already in the action of disposing, if the resulting the disposal is an authentic footy action but kicking the ball into the stands isn't that.

Prestia's only (totally unrealistic I know) hope for scoring from there is to hit it flush and hope it bounces through. The chances of which dramatically go down the more players that are allowed to gather forward of the ball. Warner kicking into the crowd after the whistle created further disadvantage for the team that won the free kick. Where is the 'common sense' in that?

If you punch the ball into the crowd whilst over the boundary line you get a free kick against so what does kicking it get you?

I hate interpretation and common sense when it comes to officiating. Just have a set of rules and enforce them. If it's 'harsh' well bad luck. All that having varying interpretations gets you is confusion and inconsistency

Would have been a joke if it had have been paid. A second between the whistle and the siren with a raucous crowd.

He didn't try to kick it away to give his team time to man up or to deprive Prestia of the ball. He kicked it away to celebrate a victory.

Those saying they expect no free to be paid after a ball is kicked after the whistle ever again, are being overly dramatic in the heat of the moment.

You'd argue against a 50m every single time in that scenario if it were your team.

Honestly, I think Brian Taylor's hyperbole sucks most people in as well. He's a complete tool.
Good call. I don’t think that many people get sucked by BT crap these days, but, yes, he is a complete tool. Surely they can‘t renew his contract and it has gotta run out soon (PLEASE)

Swans getting kissed on the dick at the SCG should be a surprise to no one.

If you don’t get a free kick for a guy climbing a ******* goalpost during a set shot you sure as s**t won’t get a 50m penalty for kicking the ball after a free kick.

There is a battle against the NRL to be won here fellas.

If that's 50 then in every single instance an opposition player kicks or handballs or runs the ball away from a player awarded a free ..... then it must be 50

As pointed out by others .... currently this can happen numerous times in a game where the umpires don't pay the 50 ..... sometimes they do ..... but most times they don't ..... cause they understand that maybe the player didn't hear the whistle or maybe the free wasn't clear and obvious or the clearance of the ball happened quickly after the free was paid

5+ goals up and Tiger supporters acting like they were robbed

Good call by the umps ..... if it was the other way around Tiger supporters would be screaming that it wasn't a 50 and citing the argument above

Last edited:
Back