Swearing

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by ozzult
One swear word, when used correctly, can evoke emotion and meaning and illustrate the feeling of that person, like no other words can.

The problem is once it is removed, you will have people using expletives instead of thinking of a non swear word, a perfect example of this, is a new site where people are starting topics like "Sh*t movies", sh*ttiest actors", some people are just too lazy to think of an alternative & pretty soon people will take advantage & BF will be full of swearing.

It's not too difficult to type Dlck Reynolds, or Graham Johnc ock, is it, I think it is better than the alternative, IMO

Originally posted by Gandalf
if a 9 year old happened to drop by and saw everyone typing swearwords he would think thats what normal people would do

So what would you call a normal person then :rolleyes: isn't that what normal people do.

I distinctly remember going back maybe a year that Johnc**k could actually be written in full and no astericks would come up. Yet the single word c**k was bleeped out. Then there was a crash and suddenly you couldnt write Johnc**k anymore.

Originally posted by Macca19
I distinctly remember going back maybe a year that Johnc**k could actually be written in full and no astericks would come up. Yet the single word c**k was bleeped out. Then there was a crash and suddenly you couldnt write Johnc**k anymore.

I presume that Johnc**k gets censored not because c**k is a swearword, but instead because c**khead is a dirty word.

a) I'll see if there is a 'whitelist' for words like Johncock.

b) Only users 13 or under who REGISTER on the site - i.e. provide personal details - must have their parents consent. Anybody unregistered can peruse the messages on the boards at will.

Originally posted by Bluey
That's your opinion Frodo. You have a right to it.

I also have a right to disdain people who are unable to converse without swearing or curb their language when, by joining the site, they have agreed to do so. I also have the right to enforce that agreement on this site.

If I'm being too abrupt or rude then you all have my apologies. And an invitation to kiss my arse ;)

If you read my post you will see that I posted :-

There can be no doubt that one has to abide by the site rules

and as you run the site and make the rules you have the right to disdain people for whatever reasons you wish.

As I said, I don't personaly like swearing so I'm happy with a filter....but I respect the contrary argument.
I also can't see a difference between swear words such as 'arse' and others (americans for some reason use ass)

And so many people do get round the filters easily.

I mean you can't go around telling people that they have to use clean language and at the same time tell people to kiss your arse. It's double standards.

I must laugh at the worries that 9 year olds may read swearing. Ever been into a primary school playground or coached 9 year olds? They learn to swear at 6 or younger, before many can read or write.

Wherever kids learn to swear, if an adult sees their kid reading this site with swearing on it I get a stern e-mail and they usually leave the site and block their kid from seeing it.

Even though the kid probably knows the word already we get the blame. So the swear filter stays. I cannot find a 'whitelist' option for words or phrases so I don't think it is too hard to put a space or whatever in the name. People do it all the time with real swear words, but those same people will complain that they don't want to do it with names that happen to have a risque series of letters in them.

*sigh* and I think the "kiss my arse" line was a joke. I even put a smiley face there. Should I have put two? Three?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the box where you enter words to censor, put them all in { }

for example

{Bluey} {Blueytheadmin}

etc etc

When words are entered like, Bluey blueyadmin blueytheadmin, any word that contains bluey will be censored for example, blueymate would appear as *****mate.

If you enter the words in this fashion with the curly brackets and NO commas, blueymate will appear properly, but bluey will appear as *****.

Where should I send the invoice for this technical support?

In the box where you enter words to censor, put them all in { }

for example

{Bluey} {Blueytheadmin}

etc etc

When words are entered like, Bluey blueyadmin blueytheadmin, any word that contains bluey will be censored for example, blueymate would appear as *****mate.

If you enter the words in this fashion with the curly brackets and NO commas, blueymate will appear properly, but bluey will appear as *****.

Where should I send the invoice for this technical support?

I know how the censor option operates, but that is not a whitelisting option. That is just excluding certain terms from a complete list of blacklisted terms. Unfortunately a complete list of blacklisted terms (i.e. EVERY combination of EVERY swearword) does not exist.

Here are the actual instructions on censoring words:

Words to censor
Type all words you want censored in the field below. Do not use commas to separate words, just use spaces. For example, type "dog cat boy", rather than "dog, cat, boy." If you type "dog", all words containing the string "dog" would be censored (dogma, for instance, would appear as "***ma"). To censor more accurately, you can require that censors occur only for exact words. You can do this by placing a censor word in curly braces, as in {dog}. Signifying "dog" in the curly braces would mean that dogma would appear as dogma, but dog would appear as "***". Thus your censor list may appear as: cat {dog} {barn} barn
Do not use quotation marks and make sure you use curly braces, not parentheses, when specifying exact words.
This field can contain a maximum 250 characters.

That 250 character maximum is where you slip up.

I know how the censor option operates, but that is not a whitelisting option. That is just excluding certain terms from a complete list of blacklisted terms. Unfortunately a complete list of blacklisted terms (i.e. EVERY combination of EVERY swearword) does not exist.

Here are the actual instructions on censoring words:

That 250 character maximum is where you slip up.

The only words you need to make exceptions for are c o c k, and d i c k.

Why don't you just relax the swear filter are a little bit. No need to get vulgar, but words like p i s s and d i c k? I mean you can say those words in prime time on American TV and still have a PG rating.

Isn't there something where a list of names or words could be put on an 'exception' list? I mean I thought that was perhaps what a mods job could be. It does get hard trying to work out what a name is.

And yes I too agree with the idea that people who have to swear constantly don't know how to express themselves. It's as if using as many swear words as you can shows that you are somehow cool. :rolleyes:

The only words you need to make exceptions for are c o c k, and d i c k.

Why don't you just relax the swear filter are a little bit. No need to get vulgar, but words like p i s s and d i c k? I mean you can say those words in prime time on American TV and still have a PG rating.

Please understand: I've been running this site for a number of years. I can anticipate what will happen and when it will happen.

As soon as I remove those words from the filter every second word in some threads will become dickhead and dicksucker and piss off and so on and so forth.

I hold much American TV in as high esteem as I do English tabloid papers. So that's not an argument I find compelling.

One other thing - I do not hold people who swear as contemptible. I swear. I dislike people who cannot put together a sentence without swearing. Who rely on profanity so much they cannot express their point of view without it. On this site the rules are that you should express yourself without resorting to profanity.

That's the rule. You agreed to it when you joined. Please follow it.

Please understand: I've been running this site for a number of years. I can anticipate what will happen and when it will happen.

As soon as I remove those words from the filter every second word in some threads will become dickhead and dicksucker and piss off and so on and so forth.

I hold much American TV in as high esteem as I do English tabloid papers. So that's not an argument I find compelling.

One other thing - I do not hold people who swear as contemptible. I swear. I dislike people who cannot put together a sentence without swearing. Who rely on profanity so much they cannot express their point of view without it. On this site the rules are that you should express yourself without resorting to profanity.

That's the rule. You agreed to it when you joined. Please follow it.
Fair enough Bluey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back