Opinion Switching Support to Tassie

Have/will you switch from your old club to the Tassie team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly congrats Tassie on getting the license, really excited to see this great part of our country represented in this sport of our own.

This is the first time I've been involved on BF when a new AFL team has come around. Just curious on the stats surrounding people barracking for existing AFL clubs, who is switching from their old club to the new Tassie team?

If so, who are you switching from? Was the decision an easy/hard one? Or why have you decided to stay (despite maybe being from Tassie)?

Play ball :)

Last edited:
I'm just gonna have two teams and when they play each other I'll let the scenario dictate who I barrack for. E.g. if Tassie is in the top four and Richmond is rebuilding, then I'll go for Tassie and vice versa.

If they end up in a granny together then I'll be going for Tassie as Richmond already have 13 flags sitting in the cabinet.

Good question OP.

For supporters of teams based outside of TAS, could you switch allegiance?

The same question might have been posed to GWS supporters.

Good question OP.

For supporters of teams based outside of TAS, could you switch allegiance?

The same question might have been posed to GWS supporters.

I think GWS has to find some first. Their aim is the very difficult task of 'Generational change'. Not from other AR clubs (maybe some from the Swans), but from other sports or just supporting a sports team for the first time. Not an easy task.

People here can walk & chew gum. Buying a membership & going to the footy is the first thing we'll do.

I'd think most people & kids will become 'Tasmaniacs' from day one. Others, maybe not so early.

We've got 5 years to make the transition. ;)

I never understood how anyone could switch.. especially after years of devotion, tears, investment etc into the club you support now. i was 8 when the crows joined the AFL in 1991 and 99.9% of my family/extended family were Port Magpies fans at the time, my old man followed Sturt at the time (we still do).. like most kids at the time we got swept up in Crowmania when they joined.. even some port SANFL fans did and yes, when port power were established and joined in 97 they ditched the crows to follow the new port team. im guessing the kids in Tassie will also dol the same and get caught up in the new Tassie team. For me, you can fall out of love with a woman and meet a new woman and love her but with a sporting team it would be impossible to change.

The question is reasonable but what is more relevant is how many Tasmanians will switch their support to the new team. I would imagine most interstate supporters, unless they originate from Tassie, would answer in the negative. But home grow folks are more likely to take their kids to see their state team play and so will be supporting the locals in some way or form.

I never understood how anyone could switch.. especially after years of devotion, tears, investment etc into the club you support now. i was 8 when the crows joined the AFL in 1991 and 99.9% of my family/extended family were Port Magpies fans at the time, my old man followed Sturt at the time (we still do).. like most kids at the time we got swept up in Crowmania when they joined.. even some port SANFL fans did and yes, when port power were established and joined in 97 they ditched the crows to follow the new port team. im guessing the kids in Tassie will also dol the same and get caught up in the new Tassie team. For me, you can fall out of love with a woman and meet a new woman and love her but with a sporting team it would be impossible to change.

You say you could never understand how anyone could switch, Then explained how your family did!!!

It happened to people I know in Brisbane, it happened in WA, it happened in SA.

It will happen here, its a natural & common occurrence.

Building from zero in GWS is the difficult issue, probably in GC as well.

This is a footy state & has a sizeable diaspora nationwide, especially in Melbourne. I think we'll go ok for support & members from day 1.

I am a Saints tragic and followed them passionately for 40 years despite nothing but pain 😂

I will be buying a Tassie membership for myself and my kids and going along when we can. I’ll probably keep a Saints membership for a couple of years as the change inevitably grows on me.

It may take a generation or two (especially as Tassie needs to re-energize our local kids football programs) but when the negativity around the stadium construction eventually wanes and the side is up and running the support for the team will swell.

I know a handful of AFL players that have been just as passionate about their sides growing up but once they are in a different club to the team they originally supported they’ve shifted allegiances entirely. I’m sure we’ll do ok

I knew from the very first game the 2001 Devils played against Box Hill that Hawthorn was in big trouble if the mighty Dark Green ever fronted up in the AFL, but was able to cockily tell everyone this was a problem that would never apply to me...until now...!

I totally get why Eagles and Crows fans jumped on board, and the same thing would have happened to a much smaller extent in Qld and NSW. The most important identifying factor in my Australian persona is my state allegiance - more than half my life living in Qld, but I'm marooned, not Maroon. I can watch the Australian cricket team and be very unbiased, have even barracked against them in the past simply because it seemed better for cricket if they lost (e.g. their first losses to Bangladesh and that close result v Afghanistan last year), but if it's the Tigers or Hurricanes I'm an unreasonable cxxx...! I even follow basketball now, never did before...

I thank the Hawks, they've been great fun since I started going for them in the late 1970's, but this isn't a marriage. I was a member from 1997 to 2008 - no bandwagon jumper, I was there when I was needed after they beat the merger and have never lived in Victoria - but after that, when they were leading the way with memberships and didn't play in Qld for a decade, I didn't feel needed again...!

I'm in a holding pattern until 2028...providing we don't fxxx it up, which could happen...

In my opinion, there is no right or wrong answer to this question.

I honestly thought there would never be a Tassie AFL team in my lifetime up until the last 18 months.

I honestly don't begrudge any current Tassie Carlton supporter/member if they decided to support their own team from their own state.

The heart knows what the heart wants.

If you decide to stick to your current AFL club, that's okay too. Go with what feels right to you as Taswegian footy fans.

Finally (and I am talking esp to Jazny here) you can't have Lachie Cowan. Moo is going to be a future champion of the Carlton Footy Club 🐄 :)

In my opinion, there is no right or wrong answer to this question.

I honestly thought there would never be a Tassie AFL team in my lifetime up until the last 18 months.

I honestly don't begrudge any current Tassie Carlton supporter/member if they decided to support their own team from their own state.

The heart knows what the heart wants.

If you decide to stick to your current AFL club, that's okay too. Go with what feels right to you as Taswegian footy fans.

Finally (and I am talking esp to Jazny here) you can't have Lachie Cowan. Moo is going to be a future champion of the Carlton Footy Club 🐄 :)
It's okay we will take Thomas, Sanders and McKercher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am always going to support Collingwood, just my late parents supported them, my late nan, and late uncle, but I will definitely be a Tasmanian member and give my support to Tasmania as I want Tasmania to succeed and have a lot of people watching and cheering them on. I never expected there would be a Tasmanian team, not there is I do want to keep up with the Tasmanians that get into the AFL and cheer them on. But I can't give up on supporting Collingwood, as much as they've annoyed me over the years.

But I can't wait to see Tasmania play their first game, and I hope to see them be successful too.

I wouldn't be changing club loyalty even if my sons played for another club.

But I will follow Tasmania's progress closely as my wife grew up there.

Firstly congrats Tassie on getting the license, really excited to see this great part of our country represented in this sport of our own.

This is the first time I've been involved on BF when a new AFL team has come around. Just curious on the stats surrounding people barracking for existing AFL clubs, who is switching from their old club to the new Tassie team?

If so, who are you switching from? Was the decision an easy/hard one? Or why have you decided to stay (despite maybe being from Tassie)?

Play ball :)
I'm from Tasmania but decided I'm not changing sides. Collingwood means so much to me and I couldn't stop supporting them, even if I tried. Nobody in my family really likes football that much but I chose Collingwood and it's been my rebellious vice for too long.

Whilst I grew up in Tassie, I was one that moved away to pursue opportunity. Given I never played footy beyond Auskick in Tassie, I have less of a connection to the scene. Knew enough talented footballers through school over the years and wish them well but I never played. The idea that all Tassie kids want to return is a bit of a fantasy. I spent time playing with in NSW/ACT and will play somewhere in Victoria next year. If Canberra got a team, I'd certainly wish them well, mainly because I played footy around the area so have a connection. With the AFL side, you'll see some kids race to return and play for the Devils but it's not guaranteed. Others will want to remain where they've built a new life.

I'll support them as a secondary team and started the r/TasmanianAFL Reddit page for a bit of fun as a side-gig. I'll try to attend their first game for history, probably buy a guernsey.

You say you could never understand how anyone could switch, Then explained how your family did!!!

It happened to people I know in Brisbane, it happened in WA, it happened in SA.

It will happen here, its a natural & common occurrence.

Building from zero in GWS is the difficult issue, probably in GC as well.

This is a footy state & has a sizeable diaspora nationwide, especially in Melbourne. I think we'll go ok for support & members from day 1.
Melbourne is the third largest Tasmanian city.

I bleed brown & gold!

Never believed in second teams, as it was simple. I was a Hawk and they visited Tas for games.

Tasmania winning their own team has made it a little more complicated…..Tasmania is now my second team and I will barrack for them each year. How ever Hawks remain my first team always.

I bleed brown & gold!

Never believed in second teams, as it was simple. I was a Hawk and they visited Tas for games.

Tasmania winning their own team has made it a little more complicated…..Tasmania is now my second team and I will barrack for them each year. How ever Hawks remain my first team always.
Interesting to see how things change, once they come into the competition. For some people anyhow.

I know what will happen. As it already happened to me in another sport.

Used to be a follower of Newcastle United. Got shirts and everything. But I got disgusted with all the money at the top level of soccer. All the corruption. I have no links to Newcastle or anything. Just a team I picked. I still watch them and they are very much my 2nd team.

Just before I got sick of the EPL, I started following Scunny United. First, it was just checking the results. Then, I watched the highlights. Then I started watching matches. Then I was watching them instead of Newcastle. By the time I got a personal tour of Scunny and talked to the club and had such a great time there, I was hooked and I haven't looked back.

I know, I know, never change teams. What the heart does is something you can't really control. The same thing will happen here and Sydney will join Newcastle as a much-loved former lover, while Tassie and Scunny both have something that hits home just a lot harder and more personally. I think it already has started for me.

Scunny=scampaignerhorpe united, (thanks swear filter)

Back