Speculation Tarryn Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Like it or not, the narrative is getting out there.

Cynics are fully expecting a 'rehabilitation roadshow' with Tarryn Thomas, and the AFL signing off on him being allowed to continue his AFL career at another club.

Would you draft him? Does your club need him? Moral/ethical debates aside, is he consistent and driven enough on the footy field to be someone worth taking a risk on?

Cynics are fully expecting a 'rehabilitation roadshow' with Tarryn Thomas, and the AFL signing off on him being allowed to continue his AFL career at another club.

Would you draft him? Does your club need him? Moral/ethical debates aside, is he consistent and driven enough on the footy field to be someone worth taking a risk on?
He’ll end up with one of the Scott brothers

I don't think he will be playing AFL next year.

The domestic violence issue isn't going away and the voices are getting louder.

There will be a lot of pushback from supporters, sponsors, the clubs AFLW players and hopefully the clubs male players will also make a stand and say enough is enough.

If the Cats or Bombers brought in Duck to mentor him, I think it would work. He'd be able to get a bit of media training for a job at 7West too.

Yet Marlion Pickett is still on a list

AFL: This week we're taking a stand opposing violence against women! This is one of the most important issues facing Australia.

Also AFL:

Can't wait for the SEN dribble about the remarkable, inspirational rehabilitation story

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see which clubs actually act in a way that lines up with their supposed values vs those that just talk about them.

Not saying you cancel him forever but definately should not be playing next year. Unless the AFL intervenes however, some club will sign him and it will say alot about them.

It won't happen.

Maybe in the 70s or 80s he would've been welcomed back with open arms but society has changed a lot since then and so too has the game.

We're not talking about a part-time gig here. There's a lot of money involved in the game now and with that comes added layers of responsibility.

Footy players represent their clubs and the code and their responsibilities extend far beyond what they do or don't produce on the field.

We have clubs aligning themselves with all sorts of social causes including domestic violence. We have players attending and running clinics at schools and visiting hospitals and doing great work in their communities.

Each club has a women's program. Most if not all would have female representation on the board, many of whom would be involved with NFPs and other organizations involved with the advancement of women, marginalized and underpriviledged groups, if not the prevention of domestic violence itself.

We have fans paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars per year in memberships, many who feel strongly about these issues. Many of whom have been directly affected by such issues.

We have sponsors paying god knows how much to clubs.

All of this is jepoardized - either wholly or in part - by a club welcoming someone like Tarryn Thomas back into the fold.

The idea was addressed yesterday and it was met with a level of backlash. That's got nothing on what's coming the way of a club or the league itself if they pursue this. It would be a disastrous move.

This isn't about giving 2nd chances. This isn't about rehabilitation. I hope Tarryn can turn his life around but there's plenty of other industries he can do that in that won't be anywhere near as impacted by any of the above.

He was in an enormously priviledged position and he pissed it all away. He can now enter the 'real world' and rehabilitate away from the spotlight.

Honestly, the AFL isn't without blame here. They've seen the flames and they've done nothing to put them out when really they ought to.

They should just end this now and deregister him. For his sake as much as their own.

Essendon and Geelong fans to have the weak, soft opinion incoming... (one more chance, paid his price etc etc)
Read our board. Apart from 1 bloke we're universal in saying no.

Signing him up to an AFL contract straight out of this year would be insane.

If he is upfront about the mistakes he's made and shows contrition then I'd be happy for Geelong to sit down with him, put in a clear set of rules and expectations and sign him to the VFL while he works a full time job for 2025. Then if he does everything right consider him for 2026 on minimum wage as a DFA.

But you'd need to have really clear insight into what he's doing off field and whether he's serious about improving as a person.

This is obviously a very sensitive thing to talk about and I certaintly hope nobody tries to argue what Tarryn did was okay, or anything other than unacceptable. But is it really something that warrants him never playing again at the highest level? I don't think I can agree with that based on what we publically know. Even the AFL didn't give him a life suspension and they know much more than we do.

I agree with what Lyon said today "Life sentences don’t even get imposed at a custodial level, so it’s interesting we are talking about life for a young player that hopefully can be educated and trained to grab hold of his opportunity in life"

Then on top of this there is the indigenous side of things and his rough childhood. None of that excuses his actions, but I think it is more than fair if we invest in people more so who come from disadvantage and can work on their behavour inside the system rather than just outcasting them forever. It would be different for different cases, there are levels of abuse, it's not one size fits all.

Also Patty Kinnersly from Our Watch “I think if an individual can demonstrate significant effort to understand their behaviour and to make genuine change, then there could be an opportunity for further chances, but I think it’s a case-by-case issue.”

IMO it should be up to Tarryn now to demonstrate to the AFL that he has made this effort to make change and understand what he has done wrong.

North fans might be upset, but if they are the kind of person who base their whole opinion just on them not wanting to see him play for another team, rather than what's best for everyone involved, then I'm not sure that those people should even really be listened to on this topic.

I am all for second or third chances but this is all very raw still.

I think it would be in his interest to show he is rehabilitated and remorseful for what he has done by going to one of the state leagues for a year assuming that a club would take him.

it would be a PR nightmare for an AFL club to take him at this point. You are potentially alienating all your female supporters what do sponsors think your own players ect.

I am all for second or third chances but this is all very raw still.
The thing is though, this isn’t a second or third chance.

How many indiscretions have there been?

I think it would be in his interest to show he is rehabilitated and remorseful for what he has done by going to one of the state leagues for a year assuming that a club would take him.

I agree he probably can’t expect to step straight back into an AFL environment.

But I’m not sure how playing in a state league competition for a year shows either remorse or rehabilitation.

The bar has to be set a whole lot higher on both counts.

it would be a PR nightmare for an AFL club to take him at this point. You are potentially alienating all your female supporters what do sponsors think your own players ect.

Yes, spot on. There is too much at stake and too much money at play for any club to take the risk.

It’ll be a circus regardless of whether it’s this year or any year down the track. I can’t see any club being so dumb.

Then on top of this there is the indigenous side of things and his rough childhood. None of that excuses his actions, but I think it is more than fair if we invest in people more so who come from disadvantage and can work on their behavour inside the system rather than just outcasting them forever. It would be different for different cases, there are levels of abuse, it's not one size fits all.

Also Patty Kinnersly from Our Watch “I think if an individual can demonstrate significant effort to understand their behaviour and to make genuine change, then there could be an opportunity for further chances, but I think it’s a case-by-case issue.”

IMO it should be up to Tarryn now to demonstrate to the AFL that he has made this effort to make change and understand what he has done wrong.

North fans might be upset, but if they are the kind of person who base their whole opinion just on them not wanting to see him play for another team, rather than what's best for everyone involved, then I'm not sure that those people should even really be listened to on this topic.
I don't believe North could have done any more to help Tarryn. I was ok with second and third and potentially 4th chances for Tarryn until it came to light that he wasn't invested in changing his behaviour and was just going through the motions. There were several cases of external program providers telling North that he wasn't making progress.

“Tarryn still has some work to do in that situation ... this is a serious concern ,” Viney told reporters on Friday.

“The main part we want to get right is respect and responsibility to women.

“He hadn’t really gotten to the level we needed to with the education program. There’d been some improvement, but not enough from out observations and also from some of the providers of those services we’ve been dealing with."

If Tarryn genuinely undertakes to make change for his own good and the good of others, not just doing the bare minimum (if that), then the discussion of his return to elite sport could be considered.

My concerns are twofold. I'm concerned about potential victims and worried about Tarryn. I worry about Tarryn outside of a structured environment and know that prior to a lot of this stuff occurring he lost someone very close to him who was a strong paternal figure in his life. It is more of a nuanced issue when one looks a bit deeper at the issues he has had. If he is given another chance without the above being addressed properly, then fans of all clubs have a right to be pissed off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back