Expansion Tasmania Officially Granted 19th Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you think will happen to the billion dollars plus we'll save by not building a completely unnecessary stadium? That it will just disappear? I reckon you could do a fair bit with a billion dollars.
Nothing, it just won't be borrowed against. What will happen to the tens of thousands of jobs we won't get, the billions of dollars in economic activity we won't see, the inspiration and pride that will fizzle away when we have to hand back the license?

They have already said this will not be there permanent jumper it’s being called a foundation jumper might wear it for there first game and heritage rounds
thats a good idea.
i was just about to put in here that they seem to have done well with everything except the jumper.
i think their jumper needs to be traditional style
it could be strips like Collingwoods/Norths?

It is definitely overpriced for 23k, what I was trying to point out was the positive impacts of having the stadium close to the cbd and the other major events it will attract for Hobart. This investment wouldn’t be just a cricket/footy oval. Bellerive won’t work imo.
Agreed.

But what governments always fail to do on public projects like this (especially sporting related projects) is to be totally honest and transparent on the full costs and benefits of the development. They oversell the public benefits - social and economic - using ridiculous multiplier assumptions and pay little attention to the full economic costs, including the opportunity cost of alternative uses for that public funding which would deliver even greater economic and social benefits to the public.

For major taxpayer funded social and community focussed projects like this surely it makes sense to have a thorough independent assessment of the project proposal so that the people who will ultimately end up paying for it can make an informed decision on whether it should proceed.

The only way Tassie improves the health care system in a sustainable way is by improving the economy so there's more money to fund it.
True... We need to build things in Tasmania that attracts and keeps people here. Places that have a low standard of living have bad healthcare because workers leave and then it costs more to keep them there and so on.
- and pay little attention to the full economic costs, including the opportunity cost of alternative uses for that public funding which would deliver even greater economic and social benefits to the public.
Can you name a single project that would deliver better economic and social outcomes?

I mean, it is a $700 million investment with questionable returns in a state where the second biggest issue is a struggling healthcare system. It's a reasonable concern, and I'm as pro-Tassie as anyone.

I know I'm probably being a bit naive or something by stating this, but I truly don't get what the issue with using York Park and Bellerive is. They'd be fine for the foreseeable future.

I might be alone but I probably would venture down to watch Carlton play these hairy-eared bastards at a new, comfortable, stadium at Macquarie Point but quite honestly wouldn't come down to go to Bellerive.

If I were Tasmanian I would have signed up as a foundation member in a heartbeat. It's telling that the club has acquired 40,000 members four years before playing its first AFL match, while GWS had 33,000, and Gold Coast 23,000, at the end of 2023.

I like tradition, and I'm happy with the guernsey design. It's high time that we have an AFL jumper that is predominantly green. Keep it simple, stupid.

If I were Tasmanian I would have signed up as a foundation member in a heartbeat. It's telling that the club has acquired 40,000 members four years before playing its first AFL match, while GWS had 33,000, and Gold Coast 23,000, at the end of 2023.

I like tradition, and I'm happy with the guernsey design. It's high time that we have an AFL jumper that is predominantly green. Keep it simple, stupid.
60,000+ already

What do you think will happen to the billion dollars plus we'll save by not building a completely unnecessary stadium? That it will just disappear? I reckon you could do a fair bit with a billion dollars.

It staggers me people still think this money just goes to whatever we want if they don't build it. The Federal investment will be lost, like re-routed to Brisbane for the Olympic build or a highway in NSW. Yes, the State money could go elsewhere but have a discussion with anyone involved and its a trickle to the health budget, which isn't solved just by throwing money at it, one of the biggest issues is getting staff as even positions that are funded can't be covered, maybe some extra things to do would help and not a bunch of anti everything boomers running Hobart.

Nothing, it just won't be borrowed against. What will happen to the tens of thousands of jobs we won't get, the billions of dollars in economic activity we won't see, the inspiration and pride that will fizzle away when we have to hand back the license?
I dunno, I guess they will go to the same magical land of fantasy from where they came

It staggers me people still think this money just goes to whatever we want if they don't build it. The Federal investment will be lost, like re-routed to Brisbane for the Olympic build or a highway in NSW. Yes, the State money could go elsewhere but have a discussion with anyone involved and its a trickle to the health budget, which isn't solved just by throwing money at it, one of the biggest issues is getting staff as even positions that are funded can't be covered, maybe some extra things to do would help and not a bunch of anti everything boomers running Hobart.

Agree - I think I may posted this some months back. Government budgets don't work that way - if you torpedo a $700m stadium deal you just don't magically have $700m to spend on healthcare. The $700m sort of just disappears.

If you have the funds now - build it !

How will the Tasmanian team happen without a new stadium?

Be fascinating to know how many of those 60k are in Tasmania....
I'm not.

But I'm a native Tasmanian. There's a lot of us who aren't in Tassie any more. Like my school mate who also bought a foundation membership. He lives in California. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be more fascinating to know how many members they will have when it’s no longer $10 to join up.

I think most will be Tasmanian or expats. I'd also imagine a good percentage of expats who like footy will buy some sort of membership when the proper ones start.

35-40k I think. But could be more, I think I underestimate these things.

I think it will be 50k, with 40k ticketed members. Guessing there will be Launceston only, Hobart only and both options there. Footy is still loved in most parts of the state. The excitement in local footy, especially with kids mean you wouldn't be a popular parent if you didn't have the family signed up when it kicks off.

Be more fascinating to know how many members they will have when it’s no longer $10 to join up.

Yeah, saw a few facebook posts from grannies who bought Cornelius and Sebastian memberships so they could be foundation members. Cornelius and Sebastian are 1 & 3.

How will the Tasmanian team happen without a new stadium?
New stadiums don't have to cost a billion dollars, so you build one that doesn't. You absolutely don't need a roof for a start (in fact I think that would make it worse, but that's a personal opinion). What I don't get is why so much was spent on Bellerive if it wasn't fit for purpose.

Honestly, it would be much easier and smarter to spend a fraction of that amount on York Park and base the team there, but we can't do that because of reasons, one of which isn't that it wouldn't work.

New stadiums don't have to cost a billion dollars, so you build one that doesn't. You absolutely don't need a roof for a start (in fact I think that would make it worse, but that's a personal opinion). What I don't get is why so much was spent on Bellerive if it wasn't fit for purpose.

Honestly, it would be much easier and smarter to spend a fraction of that amount on York Park and base the team there, but we can't do that because of reasons, one of which isn't that it wouldn't work.
Before you talked about 'fantasy land'... and then you go on to say that you could base an AFL team out of York Park :confusedv1:

I am from Launceston, I love Launceston, but that is never going to happen. That's actual fantasy.

It's possibly a semantic argument - but people keep saying "it's only $10."

For the record, I haven't spoken to any Tassie friends, or seen any friends on social media, or seen too many people here on BF that went with the $10 option.

It doesn't matter in the context of $15 foundation memberships vs $300 annual memberships.

But it does matter in the context of 60k-70k foundation members if you've made an extra $100k cos 20k of your members coughed up $15 instead of $10, and it matters in the context of people being excited enough to throw a higher amount of money at the club for not much additional benefit.

Love the logo.

Really don’t understand the fuss with jumper. Don’t see what the problem is with having the state map in the middle of it. It’s not like Sydney where it’s representing a city and it was a relocated side at that and there was always the outside chance in such a big place that it could have another team there, or Brisbane where it was based in one tiny corner of an enormous state.

It’s representing an entire state, one with a small population where theoretically everyone there who isn’t rusted onto a mainland side would be proud to have a team representing them so why the f*** wouldn’t you go with that island motif?

It’s the island state. You’ve got the team name itself in the logo. Use the other thing that the club represents in the jumper design.

I think it looks great and I hope they do well. Maybe because of my childhood infatuation with David Boon Tassie have always been my second team whenever they’ve had one in a given competition and it will probably stay that way in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back