Tasmanian Cricket Thread - 2006-07

Remove this Banner Ad

Lower order rescues Comets from another batting collapse Scott Walsh Friday, 6 October 2006 The ACT Comets defied a second top-order failure to grind out an unconvincing draw against a Tasmanian second-XI in a Cricket Australia trial at Chisholm Oval last night. The Comets finished at 8-88 chasing 270 off 50 overs after a brutal Tasmanian second innings allowed the visitors to declare at 4-345 yesterday. However, the day-two batting heroics of Comets tailenders James Crossthwaite (98) and Adam Ritchard gave the ACT first-innings points despite yesterday's top-end collapse. The pair again rode out the ACT's batting horrors, with wicketkeeper Crossthwaite finishing undefeated on 12 and Ritchard on one not out when umpires ended the match because of bad light 10 minutes before the scheduled finish time of 6pm last night. Peter Radford was the best of the Comets with 26 runs on an otherwise barren scoresheet. Gun Queanbeyan export Mark Higgs, back in the territory after a stint with the South Australia Redbacks, was next best with 22. Coach Simon Helmot was thankful the three-day trial match had exposed batting deficiencies before the Comets' State League Cup one-day game against Sydney Central in nine days. "We just kept losing wickets constantly so it was a disappointing end, even though we won the match," Helmot said. "If we'd got a good start we might have been able to look at winning the game outright but after losing so many wickets early we ended up having to rescue it. "We just need to get stronger at the top. We're getting starts but losing wickets in groups. It's certainly an issue for us so we'll keep working on our games." Tasmanian opener Rhett Lockyear led the visitors' second-innings batting assault, compiling an unbeaten 163 in a 243-run partnership with Matthew Wade (95). Nathan Wegman then rattled the Comets with 4-29 from his 10 overs. It was a tug-of-war over the three days as Tasmania declared at nine for 315 in the side's first innings. The Comets were lagging at 5-91 before Crossthwhaite's heroics spurred his side on to 383. Before yesterday's play, Helmot said despite his side having taken first-innings points, it was keen to chase an outright.

Clinga deserves to stay in. He's an excellent keeper and they should let Paine and Dawson concentrate on their batting.
Butterworth is worthy of a spot but fitting him in is the difficult part.
It's a nice problem to have.
I hope X hits top gear and pushes his way into the side, his batting is pretty darn good so he won't have to turn it a mile to get a game.

One Day Side

Paine
Birt
Di Venuto
Bailey
Bevan*
Anderson
Butterworth
Doherty
Geeves
Hilfenhaus
Griffith
Super Sub: The Polk star.

*Do you think Bevan will play one dayers? I hope he does. If not Polk goes into the 11 and Drew becomes the SS.

onlyhandball said:
Clinga deserves to stay in. He's an excellent keeper and they should let Paine and Dawson concentrate on their batting.
Butterworth is worthy of a spot but fitting him in is the difficult part.
It's a nice problem to have.
I hope X hits top gear and pushes his way into the side, his batting is pretty darn good so he won't have to turn it a mile to get a game.

One Day Side

Paine
Birt
Di Venuto
Bailey
Bevan*
Anderson
Butterworth
Doherty
Geeves
Hilfenhaus
Griffith
Super Sub: The Polk star.

*Do you think Bevan will play one dayers? I hope he does. If not Polk goes into the 11 and Drew becomes the SS.
you missed an upcoming batsman...by the name of DAN MARSH...i'm sure he'd get a game being the captain!!! Marsh in - Polk out...why do they still play that guy? I know he dominates TCA, but he's been around on the state scene for at least 5 years...still hasn't nailed a spot. Isn't good enough as either a batsman or bowler, let alone an all-rounder. EDIT - and DAMIEN WRIGHT - our best 1 day bowler, most economical and wicket taker, plus good lower order Batsman. Omit Doherty and in comes Wright. I really hope Doherty brakes out this year, but with the rules structured like they are (30 over mark have 5 out) i can't see him getting too many games, especailly with Marsh back bowling his left arm darts (is he bowling?) Butterworth is a very solid player. Had ended Kremer's career.

Where's Shannon Tubb playing this year. I think he played a couple of state games last season, right?

What are people's thoughts on this guy?

TomKat said:
Where's Shannon Tubb playing this year. I think he played a couple of state games last season, right? <br />
<br />
What are people's thoughts on this guy?

Was thinking this myself. Former under-age Aus rep, was once the best left arm "chinaman" in the land. Got limited time in Tas senior team (competition from Doherty along with non-selection of spinners in general), before leaving for SA.

Funnily, by this time, his batting was actually arguably better than his bowling. Got a few games at SA, but again not many games.

Came back to us and got game time early last year. His batting gave him an adge over Doherty. But his stats were $****house.

Must have given up playing for Tas, as you'd think he'd at least be a part of the training squad (like Kremer has etc, after not getting a contract)...not even playing in 2nd XII...Is he playing in TCA anyone? Maybe back to Wynyard or travelling overseas?

Used to rate the guy, but he's had his chances. CAREER OVER. on this topic...

Thoughts on these people's careers':

Kremerskothen
Polkinghorne
Dighton (love this guy, was such a gun for a few years there - 01/2...)

My thoughts are by the end of this season that all 3 will probably be retired by selectors. Not that i want this to happen, but all 3 have been given numerous chances in first class cricket, but haven't performed. In Kremer's case, debuting in 98/99 and still not having scored a first class century is not a good sign. Hope he can prove me wrong this season.

Please Dighton bring back that fast scoring, big hitting form of cricket, with those crisp cover and off drives!!!

My sources were telling me quite some time ago when Tubb lost his contract that he'd probably chase the dollar and end up at South Hobart Sandy Bay.

Haven't heard much on that front since then.

Also heard that during an SA v Tas game during the week Mark Cosgrove and Michael Bevan had quite the verbal joust!

Apparently, Cosgrove (who resembles a small Chris Golding) was getting a bit shirty after Ben Hilfenhaus wrapped him on the hands a couple of times.

Bevo has chimed in with "If you've got hopes of playing at the higher level you're gonna cop worse than that!" to which Cosgrove has erupted!

The banter is alleged to have gone on for about 2 minutes!

My initial thoughts were it's a bit rich of Bevan to start about anything even resembling short pitched bowling given it was his inability to handle it that ended his Test Career!

went out and watch a bit of the chairmans11 played tca

matty wade and brady jones both bat well
wadey with 64 and jonesy 68no for the chairmans11and bowleing well for chairmans was Jason Shelton
Dawson top score with 52
wrighty bowled okay no wickets

Just a quick question directed to Barge. I heard a rumour from a very reliable claremont cricket source that after years of unsuccessful attempts to entice Jason Burgess to Abbottsfield Park that they finally had a break through this year and he has decided to give it a go. I heard that the club went to great lengths for 'Burgo' even selling quite a few margin tickets at a 'nifty' price to make sure he was well compensated. My question to you Barge is how is the big fella fitting into the CCC pre season training and were the margin tickets well worth the trouble?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

completely irrelevant to Tasmanian cricket discussion, but I picked up my bat today! a wonderfully weighted little baby who deserves to be wielded by a far better batsman :D

any sports stores around Hobart that anybody can recommend for me to pick up the final few bits and pieces I need?

XII for Wednesday

Tasmanian Tigers:
Daniel Marsh (c), George Bailey (vc), Michael Bevan, Travis Birt, Luke Butterworth, Michael Di Venuto, Xavier Doherty, Brendan Drew, Brett Geeves, Adam Griffith, Ben Hilfenhaus, Tim Paine

Queensland Bulls:
Jimmy Maher (c), Matthew Hayden, James Hopes, Clinton Perren, Craig Philipson, Brendan Nash, Michael Buchanan, Chris Hartley, Andy Bichel, Chris Simpson, Ashley Noffke, Nathan Rimmington

VERY INTERSTING SELECTIONS...Batting lacks depth (I hope Butterworth has improve, so he can knock a few 50s this season). Solid bowling lineup, potentially 65 overs there - 6 Bowlers + Marsh. Will be tight without Wright, but am hopeful of a win. Hopefully we chase...

Paine
Diva
Birt
Bevan
Bailey
Marsh
Butterworth
Doherty

Playing for Bishopsbourne again this year in the TCL (Northern Tas) for my 5th season there

Personally been borderline A grade for 3 years, although played the last half last year in B grade for a premiership (in a side that was bowled out for 15 earlier in the season :eek: )

Mainly used as an opening or first change bowler, and lower order bat-holder :D . By no means a quick opening bowler, think Adam Dale haha

Our A grade finished 7th of 8 last season, and havent picked up many, but we have a young core group which will hopefully see us push for a final 4 spot

Keep ya's posted

hotdish said:
XII for Wednesday

Tasmanian Tigers:
Daniel Marsh (c), George Bailey (vc), Michael Bevan, Travis Birt, Luke Butterworth, Michael Di Venuto, Xavier Doherty, Brendan Drew, Brett Geeves, Adam Griffith, Ben Hilfenhaus, Tim Paine

Queensland Bulls:
Jimmy Maher (c), Matthew Hayden, James Hopes, Clinton Perren, Craig Philipson, Brendan Nash, Michael Buchanan, Chris Hartley, Andy Bichel, Chris Simpson, Ashley Noffke, Nathan Rimmington

VERY INTERSTING SELECTIONS...Batting lacks depth (I hope Butterworth has improve, so he can knock a few 50s this season). Solid bowling lineup, potentially 65 overs there - 6 Bowlers + Marsh. Will be tight without Wright, but am hopeful of a win. Hopefully we chase...

Paine
Diva
Birt
Bevan
Bailey
Marsh
Butterworth
Doherty

It's a good side. The batting depth shouldn't be too much of an issue, both Butterworth and Doherty can perform pretty well. Birt and Paine will open.

hotdish said:
Would I be going out on a limb here and suggesting that barring Wright for Drew, that'd be our best one-day team ever???
I think barring Wright that is our best one-day side ever. Drew is a handy bowler, but he will struggle to get a regular game this season (barring injuries), which is a pity considering he went to the Centre of Exellence and performed quite well.

judburyjets said:
I think barring Wright that is our best one-day side ever. Drew is a handy bowler, but he will struggle to get a regular game this season (barring injuries), which is a pity considering he went to the Centre of Exellence and performed quite well.

I rate Drew, he does a fair bit with it. Seems pretty fit so might go ok in the one dayers. Geez I'm keen for 3.15 this afternoon. Definitely going to back the Tigers at lunch. $2.50 with the TOTE.

TigerFan said:
any sports stores around Hobart that anybody can recommend for me to pick up the final few bits and pieces I need?

Apparently Sinclairs (in the city) have just started stocking cricket equipment. Got a lett about it, but haven't been in there yet so I've got no idea what they've got.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back