Tassie football in crisis (again)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLTas is the AFL's branch office in this state. IT carries out AFL policy & directives. It 'manages' the game on behalf of its head office. The clubs have very little input into major issues.

Do you believe AFLT is run by mindless puppets that put forward no strategies and initiatives and rather they just read emails from Victoria and blindly obey?

You know and I know that AFLT would formulate strategies and have them rubber stamped by the AFL based upon the information that THEY put forward.

The clubs have basically been battling to maintain a standard above the regional competition.

Agree. Either by disinterest or incompetence or both, they have dropped away.

Its part of the AFL 'Pathway' stuff. Its supposedly why we went back to a state league.

How? Do you have anything at all to support this?

All we want is a plan that makes sense & gets followed by the AFL itself.

Then bloody well INITIATE one! Take ownership of the problem and ownership of a solution.

If that means go back to the Tas VFL team structure, fine, But stop FKNG things up. Manage the bloody game. Thats where all the money goes, not to clubs. $100k does not cover the cost of the extra efforts, travel, loss of home game derby type games.

I think it's completely absurd for you to suggest that the AFL has stuffed things up in Tasmania whilst it has been smashing the rest of the country as a sports business during the same period of time.

Are you suggesting they have deliberately monkey wrenched Tasmanian football? Why would they do that?

So, Why is the game in 'free fall? What are the bad decisions? You like to comment, thats fine, but your not answering anything!

You can't answer them either, but that doesn't stop you pointing fingers at Victoria. It's my opinion that you are in denial of certain unfortunate realities due to engaging in small minded parochialism.

The AFL very much controls the state league, get that one right to start with & you might get somewhere with your comments.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Do you have any figures on AFL and State government funding of footy in Tasmania yet? Has the state government managed to tip in anything approaching a million yet?

I can see where you are coming from and respect your opinion Snake_Baker that we Tasmanians need to put our hand up for our own failings over the last thirty years, But now we have very little say on how the game is run in this state What happened this week is a good example:
Upon Robert Auld's promotion to AFL House. The position as AFL Tasmania CEO was not advertised, Trisha Squires was immediately appointed as his replacement from within the organisation. I would hardly call that transparent. Look she might be the best candidate but I think It should of been advertised.

I think the VFL option is dead as far as I see it the AFL want the VFL as a strictly AFL reserve competition for the AFL teams based in Victoria and the stand alone non affiliated clubs like Sandringham or North Ballarat have found it really hard over the last few years to compete on and off field.

I also think the AFL need to be brutal honest and tell Tasmania you're not ever getting an AFL Team instead off statements like this “Tasmania deserves its own team. It just does,” McLachlan said. “Their participation rates, their ratings, their attendance, they are as passionate as any state. Their numbers stack up with Victoria and in my view they deserve their own team.” then our politicians can pull the pin on sponsoring Melbourne Suburban AFL Clubs from playing here, As they see this flawed model as some silly pathway in eventual getting our own team. Hats of the Jeff Kennett and James Brayshaw for playing many premiers as fools

Last edited:
Do you believe AFLT is run by mindless puppets that put forward no strategies and initiatives and rather they just read emails from Victoria and blindly obey?

You know and I know that AFLT would formulate strategies and have them rubber stamped by the AFL based upon the information that THEY put forward.

Agree. Either by disinterest or incompetence or both, they have dropped away.

How? Do you have anything at all to support this?

Then bloody well INITIATE one! Take ownership of the problem and ownership of a solution.

I think it's completely absurd for you to suggest that the AFL has stuffed things up in Tasmania whilst it has been smashing the rest of the country as a sports business during the same period of time.

Are you suggesting they have deliberately monkey wrenched Tasmanian football? Why would they do that?

You can't answer them either, but that doesn't stop you pointing fingers at Victoria. It's my opinion that you are in denial of certain unfortunate realities due to engaging in small minded parochialism.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Do you have any figures on AFL and State government funding of footy in Tasmania yet? Has the state government managed to tip in anything approaching a million yet?

You make no sense. Being shrill about taking control sounds so nice. As Scott Wade so well put it about the TSL. Its OUR (read AFL) competition, & about the roll of the AFL. 'We are the AFL'. The AFL & its local office are in control & certainly bullied the clubs about with threats from Wade for years. To the extent they also had the SFL under control so a club risked being killed off with the regional competition not wanting TSL clubs back with them. the NTFL accepted Burnie & devonport back, thankfully for them but not for the 'Pathway' thing.

You can lead a horse to water? What?

INITIATE one, Take OWNERSHIP? Its the AFLs competition. Capisce?

Monkey wrench? No its under resourced for what they expected. Its not been managed, thats the problem. its not a purely Tasmanian problem. Do you here, the clubs have little say, like with AFL clubs.

Its just that one is resourced & one isn't.

I can see where you are coming from and respect your opinion Snake_Baker that we Tasmanians need to put our hand up for our own failings over the last thirty years, But now we have very little say on how the game is run in this state What happened this week is a good example:

Upon Robert Auld's promotion to AFL House. The position as AFL Tasmania CEO was not advertised, Trisha Squires was immediately appointed as his replacement from within the organisation. I would hardly call that transparent. Look she might be the best candidate but I think It should of been advertised.

To what purposes would this perceived lack of openness serve? You don't think the biggest sport in the country can make decent business decisions?

I think the VFL option is dead as far as I see it the AFL want the VFL as a strictly AFL reserve competition for the AFL teams based in Victoria and the stand alone non affiliated clubs like Sandringham or North Ballarat have found it really hard over the last few years to compete on and off field.

Perhaps, but don't you think it is a reasonable basis for Tasmania to commence some level of inclusion? The AFL may dismiss a Tasmanian AFL side on the basis of numbers and money, but they would struggle to knock one back based in the VFL. It's a start.

I also think the AFL need to be brutal honest and tell Tasmania you're not ever getting an AFL Team instead off statements like this “Tasmania deserves its own team. It just does,” McLachlan said. “Their participation rates, their ratings, their attendance, they are as passionate as any state. Their numbers stack up with Victoria and in my view they deserve their own team.” then our politicians can pull the pin on sponsoring Melbourne Suburban AFL Clubs from playing here, As they see this flawed model as some silly pathway in eventual getting our own team. Hats of the Jeff Kennett and James Brayshaw for playing many premiers as fools

1) McLachlan is just acknowledging facts and being respectful of Tasmania's legacy whilst delivering the harsh reality.
2) The Hawthorn and North sponsorship actually make profits for Tasmania. Why isn't all of that money (investment and profits) then returned to Tasmanian grass roots football? This is a much smarter model for Tasmanian football to seek, rather than just stating, "don't fund Hawthorn and North games and spend the money locally".

It starts and ends with your politicians.

It starts and ends with your politicians.

Well yes to some extent. It was a political push at the time to put all AFL games in Launceston. But again, its the AFLs fixture. they decide where games are played so they were very much complicit.

But again AFL games/team v the structured pathway of football in Tasmania, are 2 different sides of the coin.

2) The Hawthorn and North sponsorship actually make profits for Tasmania. Why isn't all of that money (investment and profits) then returned to Tasmanian grass roots football? This is a much smarter model for Tasmanian football to seek, rather than just stating, "don't fund Hawthorn and North games and spend the money locally".

All that money is the claimed economic benefit of AFL games. its money spent by the Government, the clubs, by sponsors, by the fans in pubs & hotels & flights etc etc.

How do grass roots clubs access that?

The answer is they dont.

One is a commercial operation of AFL football. The other is the AFL run TSL competition as part of the player pathway.

They, again, are not directly related here, or in Vic or WA or SA or Qld or NSW.

Tasmanian Football ‘a real concern’, says Gale

The Tasmanian region that produced AFL greats Darrel Baldock and Matthew Richardson now has no teams in the state league.

The Burnie Dockers have joined Devonport in leaving the competition, citing a lack of players. It leaves the league without any teams from the northwest coast and has further fuelled commentary about the AFL and Tasmanian football.

Former AFL coach Robert Shaw, Richardson and a fellow northwest Tasmania alumnus, Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale, have expressed their dismay on Twitter about the crisis […]

Tasmanian Football ‘a real concern’, says Gale

The Tasmanian region that produced AFL greats Darrel Baldock and Matthew Richardson now has no teams in the state league.

The Burnie Dockers have joined Devonport in leaving the competition, citing a lack of players. It leaves the league without any teams from the northwest coast and has further fuelled commentary about the AFL and Tasmanian football.

Former AFL coach Robert Shaw, Richardson and a fellow northwest Tasmania alumnus, Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale, have expressed their dismay on Twitter about the crisis […]

You can read more by looking at the Advocate newspaper.

Change what? The economic system?

Government used AFL football at the acquiescence of the AFL itself.

But again, again, thats got little to do with the TSL , resourcing issues, & football pathway problem.

Do you understand?

I understand, I just don't agree with some of your extrapolations.

The AFL aren't incompetent nor are they hell bent on any anti Tasmanian conspiracy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand, I just don't agree with some of your extrapolations.

The AFL aren't incompetent nor are they hell bent on any anti Tasmanian conspiracy.

Well given that, why do we keep going this circle all when 'managed' by the AFL?

Simply its been underfunded for what they want out of a TSL competition & thats about it. They've drained the clubs ability to do so much with so little given the cost & effort required for that level performance.

We've been through this same AFL/AFLTas instituted situation for 20 years.

Thats not a conspiracy, thats a fact.

Well given that, why do we keep going this circle all when 'managed' by the AFL?

Simply its been underfunded for what they want out of a TSL competition & thats about it. They've drained the clubs ability to do so much with so little given the cost & effort required for that level performance.

We've been through this same AFL/AFLTas instituted situation for 20 years.

Thats not a conspiracy, thats a fact.

I'm not swallowing most of this. The over-emotive poorly balanced wording is a dead give away.

"drained the clubs ability to do so much"....what a crock.

You want Football in Tasmania propped up because it can't do it off its own steam.

That's not going to happen.

Adapt, overcome, regenerate, rise again.

I'm not swallowing most of this. The over-emotive poorly balanced wording is a dead give away.

"drained the clubs ability to do so much"....what a crock.

You want Football in Tasmania propped up because it can't do it off its own steam.

That's not going to happen.

Adapt, overcome, regenerate, rise again.

'what a crock'? = I dont understand, I dont care, but I won't stop arguing about something I dont care about nor understand. Is that it?

Neither the VFL.WAFL,SANFL,nor NEAFL Do not 'do it' off their own steam. They get funded to a much higher level of AFL support than their surrounding leagues. Thats what called a point of difference. That doesn't occur here. Thats the biggest part of the problem.

Are you aware of how these tier 2 competitions actually work? How much they rely on AFL money to do whats asked of them.?

If you dont, fine, if you dont care, fine. But talk about stuff if you really dont have much of a clue about.

Once again, Tas football falls over, and once again the usual crowd claims that it's all the AFLs fault...Although the only suggestion for a fix is a Tas AFL team, which would suck FAR more money out of the state, leaving even less for the 'state league'.

Worth noting that the state league concept has been tried and failed several times since before the AFL had any involvement.
Didn't take you long to come here and gloat.

Yes, GC gets more money, because they can grow the game...$10M/year for 10 years to GC will hopefully provide, say, 50,000 new fans. Same money pumped into Tas will probably produce 10,000 fewer fans. Pretty easy decision really.
Unsurprisingly, you overlook the fact that the AFL is responsible for the code in general.

That means that in addition to growing the game, it has a responsibility to the health of the game in existing AFL areas - one of those being Tassie.

If you had any love for the game itself, you wouldn't even be making statements like the one I have quoted.

Didn't take you long to come here and gloat.

One of the problems with being right most of the time is it really isn't that special when it happens again.

Actually it's mostly sad...Seeing the same old excuses and denial being trotted out and people clinging to them as if they have any real meaning.

Unsurprisingly, you overlook the fact that the AFL is responsible for the code in general.

That means that in addition to growing the game, it has a responsibility to the health of the game in existing AFL areas - one of those being Tassie.

If you had any love for the game itself, you wouldn't even be making statements like the one I have quoted.

Why?

Because I recognise that the AFL isn't just an endless pot of cash to throw money at the issues you want them to?

Because I realise that when an orgnaisation commits to throwing hundreds of millions of dollars into something, they want to get something more out of it than an obligation to throw more money away?

One of the problems with being right most of the time is it really isn't that special when it happens again.

Actually it's mostly sad...Seeing the same old excuses and denial being trotted out and people clinging to them as if they have any real meaning.
I thought I would have a read of this thread, and one of the things I wondered when doing so was how many posts it would take for the biggest Tassie football hater around to throw in his two cents' worth.

And you didn't let me down.......:)

Why?

Because I recognise that the AFL isn't just an endless pot of cash to throw money at the issues you want them to?

Because I realise that when an orgnaisation commits to throwing hundreds of millions of dollars into something, they want to get something more out of it than an obligation to throw more money away?
Again - the AFL has a responsibility to the health of the game in existing AFL areas.

That was part of the deal when it took on the role of administrator of the code back in the 90s.

How many times does this have to be pointed out to you before you get it?

Because you refuse to acknowledge that and have no interest in the game itself, you respond (as above) in money terms.

And your first post in this thread was just an "I told you so" gloating effort.

Just pathetic. I get that you hate Tasmanian football. Time for you to move on.

AFL have run tassie footy in to the ground.
Demitriou sent the message the sport is dead in Tasmania and the locals faced with that have gradually lost interest and who could blame them.
I don't believe the AFL have much interest in the game in Tassie at all and probably couldn't care less if the game fell over there (because it is such a small market).

And this attitude is coming from the organization charged with the responsibility of looking after the game itself - at all levels, in all areas.

It's disgraceful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back