Tayla Harris - Where will she end up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
She’s just not that good - she didn’t even make the AA team
Yes she did, three times, which only nine other players have managed.

And speaking of All-Australians, what's the bet the people who mistakenly claimed the "game has gone past" Vescio and Brennan a couple months ago are also laying the boots into Harris now.

which leaves the AFL to stump up the rest.

which they may not do.

leaves other AFLW players in a bind, too
Or maybe they have already offered to, but it's on the condition that she play for a particular club that isn't Carlton.

After all, the AFL did it ten years ago with Hunt and Folau, and they also bent the rules as recently as last year so as to not risk losing Courtney Hodder. Not sure why people think this would be unprecedented.

Lets be quite frank. Tayla Harris isn't known for her AFL sporting ability. She is known for a photo that was taken of her kicking a ball that generated discussions (wrongfully ill add) of sexuality.

IMO this is pretty clear cut........If Carlton want to keep her based on her sporting ability then they clearly don't pay her requested contract, if she is willing to leave the game because she can get a better pay day in boxing well then that's her prerogative. No real difference to any other sport.

If the AFL see a revenue benefit and want to cover the difference in her Carlton contract as a "marketing Bonus" that's fine too, but the AFL would need to be prepared what precedence that sets when the other WAFL players come knocking at the door.

As a person who doesn't find much interest in the women's game, the names of the likes of Erin Phillips lure me to watch more so than Tayla Harris would.

Sort of ironic she gets the big bucks because of her fame from the online trolling

And speaking of All-Australians, what's the bet the people who mistakenly claimed the "game has gone past" Vescio and Brennan a couple months ago are also laying the boots into Harris now.

Or maybe they have already offered to, but it's on the condition that she play for a particular club that isn't Carlton.

After all, the AFL did it ten years ago with Hunt and Folau, and they also bent the rules as recently as last year so as to not risk losing Courtney Hodder. Not sure why people think this would be unprecedented.

Gold coast for pick 1?

she made the AA team three times last year? Wowee! THanks Sarah.

Gold coast for pick 1?
Well don't forget that if Carlton actually downgraded Harris to a Tier 3 contract, she could walk as a free agent to any club offering Tier 1 or 2.

But I do believe the reports that she wants to stay at Carlton, and if playing for a non-Vic team again was something she wanted to do then a deal would probably have already been done (in principle).

she made the AA team three times last year? Wowee! THanks Sarah.
If you're going to invoke the infallible wisdom of the All-Australian selection panel, at least do it with full disclosure.

Or do you really think judging a player based solely on the trophies they don't win in one year is a good idea? If that's the case, all you've managed to do is put Tayla Harris in the same bracket as Chelsea Randall. Well done.

Well don't forget that if Carlton actually downgraded Harris to a Tier 3 contract, she could walk as a free agent to any club offering Tier 1 or 2.

But I do believe the reports that she wants to stay at Carlton, and if playing for a non-Vic team again was something she wanted to do then a deal would probably have already been done (in principle).

If you're going to invoke the infallible wisdom of the All-Australian selection panel, at least do it with full disclosure.

Or do you really think judging a player based solely on the trophies they don't win in one year is a good idea? If that's the case, all you've managed to do is put Tayla Harris in the same bracket as Chelsea Randall. Well done.

But I do believe the reports that she wants to stay at Carlton
Seems to me that this Harris supposed drama is very similar to Dusty Martin when ever he's up for a new contract, manager Saundry = manager Carr
Media making a lot of assumptions, making mirky reports and in general selling papers and causing click bait on social media
I dont honestly know what to make of it
What are your thoughts on this situation Teen Wolf, how do you think it'll play out?

geez, you’re so sensitive about this

full disclosure? She’s didn’t make this season’s AA team.

she is not good enough Sarah.

Yep there seams to be more going off field then on it for tayla.
Tayla seams to stir the pot regarding that photo. I like the way she handled the troll thing though but did not really need to go on with it either.
Not all that sure on a bonze statue to be made either seams to be alot of agenda behind the issues.
On field takes a mark every now and again but largely just a playing spectator on field.
I liked her when she was at Brisbane though better player then.
At Carlton not much chop seams to be an attension seeker. A bit of all about me type.
I do hope she gets better.
As said im a huge fan of her.
But its time to her to get on with her life and dont get sucked into the issues of the world.

The notion that Harris wasn't already a highly marketable and well-regarded player before the photo thing is truly absurd.

And I assure you Carlton would sign Erin Phillips next month if they could, but it isn't an option so I'm not sure why she's being brought up yet again.

Value for money in the AFLW is why the Harris claim is being questioned.
Ms Phillips is the top of the tree for value, SO relevant.

Phillps for mine is the number1 player to play the game ever shes the all time great of womens footy the best erins the dusty of the aflw

Seems to me that this Harris supposed drama is very similar to Dusty Martin when ever he's up for a new contract, manager Saundry = manager Carr
Media making a lot of assumptions, making mirky reports and in general selling papers and causing click bait on social media
I dont honestly know what to make of it
What are your thoughts on this situation Teen Wolf, how do you think it'll play out?
A week ago I assumed she was gone. But with the way it's playing out in the media now, I think I expect the two parties to meet somewhere in the middle (unless another club comes from the clouds with an enticing trade). Carlton would have to regret not matching the Davey deal back in 2019. So while they should be careful to not overcompensate for that mistake, they would also realise Harris will come good again if they stick with her, just like they did with Vescio.

Ms Phillips is the top of the tree for value, SO relevant.
NO she isn't. This year, that would've been somebody like Ruby Schleicher or Dakota Davidson.

geez, you’re so sensitive about this

full disclosure? She’s didn’t make this season’s AA team.

she is not good enough Sarah.
Yes I'm very sensitive, and you are hurting my feelings by calling me a girl's name. Maybe I should hit thumbs down on your post, that'll teach ya!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A week ago I assumed she was gone. But with the way it's playing out in the media now, I think I expect the two parties to meet somewhere in the middle (unless another club comes from the clouds with an enticing trade). Carlton would have to regret not matching the Davey deal back in 2019. So while they should be careful to not overcompensate for that mistake, they would also realise Harris will come good again if they stick with her, just like they did with Vescio.

NO she isn't. This year, that would've been somebody like Ruby Schleicher or Dakota Davidson.

Yes I'm very sensitive, and you are hurting my feelings by calling me a girl's name. Maybe I should hit thumbs down on your post, that'll teach ya!
Erin is the measuring stick of value for money.

Sarah is the name of Tayla’s partner, I assumed from the vehement defense that was you

also I am a slow learner

Salary cap implications are one thing but for these marquee player outside the cap arrangements that some Australian sporting leagues have, it's only one consideration. To earn many times more than most of your best performing teammates, you need to be 'Ablett at Gold Coast in 2011' good. You need to be the best player, the hardest worker, do all the captain/promo stuff, mentor the other players and lead by example. If you're being outworked and outperformed by many players who earn a fraction of your salary that's going to destroy your team's chemistry.

The 'bringing value through promotion and marketing argument is overblown in my uneducated opinion. A club could sign Steph Gilmore, Sam Kerr, Ash Barty, Ellyse Perry and probably see a bump in attendance for a few weeks, but then people will be drawn by whether the club they support is winning. That's the best marketing of all as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Salary cap implications are one thing but for these marquee player outside the cap arrangements that some Australian sporting leagues have, it's only one consideration. To earn many times more than most of your best performing teammates, you need to be 'Ablett at Gold Coast in 2011' good. You need to be the best player, the hardest worker, do all the captain/promo stuff, mentor the other players and lead by example. If you're being outworked and outperformed by many players who earn a fraction of your salary that's going to destroy your team's chemistry.

The 'bringing value through promotion and marketing argument is overblown in my uneducated opinion. A club could sign Steph Gilmore, Sam Kerr, Ash Barty, Ellyse Perry and probably see a bump in attendance for a few weeks, but then people will be drawn by whether the club they support is winning. That's the best marketing of all as far as I'm concerned.
Many sports have 'rusted on' fans that hang in during hard times, e.g the Tiges during Richo's playing days, but the womens game (the AFLW comp) is a recent addition to the sporting landscape & yet to attract the depth of support.

Many sports have 'rusted on' fans that hang in during hard times, e.g the Tiges during Richo's playing days, but the womens game (the AFLW comp) is a recent addition to the sporting landscape & yet to attract the depth of support.

I feel like it's a generational thing in that sense, could be wrong. I feel like adults would gravitate towards the same AFLW club as they support in the men's game and the kids would follow by extension. So I imagine they'd lock in the team first and then figure out which players they like. If it weren't directly linked to the existing AFL clubs, maybe it'd be different.

I feel like it's a generational thing in that sense, could be wrong. I feel like adults would gravitate towards the same AFLW club as they support in the men's game and the kids would follow by extension. So I imagine they'd lock in the team first and then figure out which players they like. If it weren't directly linked to the existing AFL clubs, maybe it'd be different.

Some followers look beyond the top level, but I'd say most dont go beyond a glance. Whether the AFLW can take their interest will be reflected by sustained media numbers, unless the games are played as a curtain raiser to the main game.

To earn many times more than most of your best performing teammates,
Another wildly inaccurate summary of the situation.

Most of her best performing teammates...

...have all kinds of arrangements outside of the salary cap too.

A club could sign Steph Gilmore, Sam Kerr, Ash Barty, Ellyse Perry and probably see a bump in attendance for a few weeks, but then people will be drawn by whether the club they support is winning.
Again I'm wondering how that's relevant to this subject. A club can't sign any of those athletes for $80k or even $150k, not by a long shot. And none of those athletes are capable of leading the AFLW in contested marks over a five-year period.

Another wildly inaccurate summary of the situation.

Most of her best performing teammates...

...have all kinds of arrangements outside of the salary cap too.

So she's not after 150k then? An i30 would do it?

It's a point about a player earning marquee money and not putting in marquee performances. And the destabilising effect that has on a team's chemistry.

Again I'm wondering how that's relevant to this subject. A club can't sign any of those athletes for $80k or even $150k, not by a long shot. And none of those athletes are capable of leading the AFLW in contested marks over a five-year period.

Professional sports is about as 'what have you done for me lately?' as it gets. When you walk into a contract negotiation, the club is generally more interested in what you produced in the most recent campaign, rather than how great you were 3-4 years ago. When you perform so poorly, with no obvious explanation and coming out of contract, I'm sorry but that's an enormous red flag.

For those of us who've seen AFL contract negotiations unfold through the media, it kind of feels like if Tom Hawkins was out of contract this year and put up a 20 goal season. No-one would care what he did in 2019 and he'd be kidding himself expecting a pay rise or even avoiding a large pay cut.

But for some reason, you seem EXTREMELY invested in this discussion, so I might leave it at that.

So she's not after 150k then? An i30 would do it?

It's a point about a player earning marquee money and not putting in marquee performances. And the destabilising effect that has on a team's chemistry.
Actually your point was that most of Carlton's best players would be earning many times less than Harris. It's just not true, and in fact some of them have been earning more while being outperformed by her.

Professional sports is about as 'what have you done for me lately?' as it gets. When you walk into a contract negotiation, the club is generally more interested in what you produced in the most recent campaign, rather than how great you were 3-4 years ago. When you perform so poorly, with no obvious explanation and coming out of contract, I'm sorry but that's an enormous red flag.
Not really, it's more about what they are likely to produce in the future. That's why I used the Brianna Davey example before, given that she was still getting big offers while being out of action with a knee reco.

I see the point re an underperformer getting massively more than the rest of the squad and potentially upsetting folks, and it might be a bit more tense with AFLW as the issue of pay is so prominent, although even then I don't think X player getting paid more from outside the cap or for extra media/promo work would necessarily upset a team too much. Vescio is also very prominent in media and marketing of the league and has had some up and down patches of her career. I doubt her teammates would begrudge her taking those opportunities and getting the extra cash. Daisy hasn't been at her best the past couple of seasons but would be (likely) the best paid player at the Dees because of her extra work off the field and I don't see it causing too many issues within the group.

Harris when 'on' is very good. Like most key forwards she's up and down, and Carlton generally are pretty flakey imo which doesn't help her cause. I'd have her at the Dees as I think we're lacking a solid contested marking forward, but don't know if we have the coin/trade pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back