NO TROLLS Taylor Walker racial slur

Remove this Banner Ad

I immediately just assumed that was a social distancing thing.
Even if we weren't in a pandemic, they're criticising the positioning and the filming? The aesthetics don't really matter people.
Yes the language was clumsy but Walker is no linguist by any stretch. If it had been said in lawyer speak it would have come across as self protective and ingenuine.

2. I don't think Tex is racist. When people are looking to insult someone, you can take a physical attribute to throw into it. Generally the first thing that comes to mind. Eg "You fat %&&*", "You skinny %&€£", " You bald %&&£", "You short %&&€", and I think Tex grabbed at something like that. Let's face facts, Tex ain't no rocket scientist, so a well thought out insult isn't really his thing. Now I don't think Tex hates Aboriginals just like he wouldn't have hated short, or lanky, or bald people had he of grabbed for that. Now he needs to sort out in his own mind why he grabbed at the black thing.
Notice though how in each example you’ve given, the adjective is used in such a way to imply that the individual is somehow lesser because of it - fat, bald, short, etc.

Australia unfortunately also has a long and shameful history of implying that Aboriginal Australians are somehow lesser, both overtly and in more subtle and ingrained ways. This has caused significant hurt and significant disadvantage to these people. There is history behind it, which makes a significant difference. I’m sure you can see how this is a problem.

I don’t know if Taylor Walker is racist, I suspect he isn’t but I don’t know him personally. What he said is racist, which is the point here.

This issue is an interesting one. What Taylor said was simply racism. No question. No one can also tell the Black Communities how to feel when presented with such language. It's a really delicate area.

Anti Racism education has been around for over 20 years and literally, unless you are stupid everyone knows racist language or actions in any form is unquestionably wrong No matter how small. Tex deserves the punishment.

This is my question though. Perspective is everything. Has the issue of racism been blown up so much due to the international status of racism its lost its perspective in relationship to more serious offences? To put it into perspective racist language used to be a tool of oppression and control and in some countries it still is. Places like South Africa still have huge racist issues that literally oppress sections of black communities to the point they can't do certain things and hold jobs or play some sports.

The issue on perspective is where does calling someone a racist name in our society fall in relation to drink driving, domestic violence, drugs, sexual assault etc. There just seems to be a massive pile on of hate for Tex for the use of a name that had no influence or affect on anyones lively hood. People who kill through speeding, sexual predators and domestic violence which is a blindly bad issue in Australia and in Indigenous communities seem to get less attention. A mother was bashed to death just a couple of weeks ago. Where is the anger. The way the media piled on I feel lost perspective. Indigenous people have every right to be annoyed and frustrated but at the same time they like everyone should maintain perspective and I feel that's been lost in the media storm to crucify Tex.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is an excellent post

Pretty sure that was Walker all himself.

But sure any chance to whack the club
I'm sorry, but if we let our former Captain and Senior member of the club go out and make a statement like that by himself, then we are negligent.

FTR I loved what Nicks did and said.
Silvers has also been good.

That Walker video was awful and about the same level quality as the Burton/Pyke press conference.

You seem to be annoyed because Walker's apology video didn't have the production values of a David Lynch film.
I'm annoyed that we weren't capable of doing something better, especially given the magnitude of what was being done. I'm not talking about movie framing and CGI, I'm talking about putting something together that was meaningful.

Let me ask this - did the video achieve what it was meant to? Has it been well received? The answer is no to both.

I'm annoyed that we weren't capable of doing something better, especially given the magnitude of what was being done. I'm not talking about movie framing and CGI, I'm talking about putting something together that was meaningful.

Let me ask this - did the video achieve what it was meant to? Has it been well received? The answer is no to both.
There was no perfect outcome, people will pick holes in whatever was put together.
Press conference- Walker making it about him.
Say nothing - coward hiding
Pre recorded message - unprofessional and not heartfelt

This is an excellent post

I disagree. The only reason this has been front-page news is because Walker is a front-page name. I assure you, if he had bashed a mother to death, or committed a sexual assault, the response would have been orders of magnitude worse. It's silly to compare the two in any way whatsoever.

The thing is, there is a real push from people to say "so what? It's just some racist comments, it doesn't hurt others outside of the situation." But it does. Racism is sadly still very pervasive in Australia and it causes genuine harm. From mental health damage which can lead to self-harm or suicide, to perpetuating violent situations, to even just maintaining a system that privileges some groups over others. And when someone with the profile of Taylor Walker does it - particularly if it is not harshly called out as it has been - it gives license to people with smaller profiles to continue doing it. And it also sends a message to people of those communities: even someone who should have your back, who has worked with your brothers, who has been the public face of anti-racist campaigns, and who is in the privileged position of receiving anti-racism education for over a decade, will still use your race as an insult when the chips are down. It's a betrayal of trust and a slap in the face, from someone who is massively punching down and has absolutely no excuse for not knowing better.

It needed to be called out harshly as being completely unacceptable, and there needed to be severe consequences, to demonstrate that as a wider society, we stand firmly against it. I think the level of response from the majority of people has been completely justified. Most of those people also recognise that Tex is genuinely remorseful and is intending to do his best to a) further educate himself so this doesn't happen again, and b) use his privileged position as a role model to help educate others as well. That's good. Now he's got to go an do it.

I disagree. The only reason this has been front-page news is because Walker is a front-page name. I assure you, if he had bashed a mother to death, or committed a sexual assault, the response would have been orders of magnitude worse. It's silly to compare the two in any way whatsoever.

The thing is, there is a real push from people to say "so what? It's just some racist comments, it doesn't hurt others outside of the situation." But it does. Racism is sadly still very pervasive in Australia and it causes genuine harm. From mental health damage which can lead to self-harm or suicide, to perpetuating violent situations, to even just maintaining a system that privileges some groups over others. And when someone with the profile of Taylor Walker does it - particularly if it is not harshly called out as it has been - it gives license to people with smaller profiles to continue doing it. And it also sends a message to people of those communities: even someone who should have your back, who has worked with your brothers, who has been the public face of anti-racist campaigns, and who is in the privileged position of receiving anti-racism education for over a decade, will still use your race as an insult when the chips are down. It's a betrayal of trust and a slap in the face, from someone who is massively punching down and has absolutely no excuse for not knowing better.

It needed to be called out harshly as being completely unacceptable, and there needed to be severe consequences, to demonstrate that as a wider society, we stand firmly against it. I think the level of response from the majority of people has been completely justified. Most of those people also recognise that Tex is genuinely remorseful and is intending to do his best to a) further educate himself so this doesn't happen again, and b) use his privileged position as a role model to help educate others as well. That's good. Now he's got to go an do it.
He’s not saying it doesn’t cause harm
He’s questioning the perspective which you are agreeing with when you refer to Walkers profile

Firstly, I love everything about this. Great post.

Secondly, great to have you back Staby. Don't see enough of you around here anymore.

That apology video was terrible. Just awful. Every bit of it was crap. Poorly filmed. The positioning of Walker and Young was sh!t. The language used was horrendous. What part of it meant anything at all?

We really are a complete basket case of a club at the moment.
You should have seen the takes we didn't use

Unpopular opinion?
Taylor Walker has been a loyal servant of the Adelaide Football Club.

However, because of his own actions he is now a stain on the clubs standing within the wider football community.

If the AFC are to move past this debacle, they should send a clear message to the remaining playing group and the AFL community:
The AFC won't put up with this kind of nonsense. Taylor Walker will be let go at the first given opportunity.

Discuss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unpopular opinion?
Taylor Walker has been a loyal servant of the Adelaide Football Club.

However, because of his own actions he is now a stain on the clubs standing within the wider football community.

If the AFC are to move past this debacle, they should send a clear message to the remaining playing group and the AFL community:
The AFC won't put up with this kind of nonsense. Taylor Walker will be let go at the first given opportunity.

Discuss.

So glad we have a supporter base that has never made a mistake

Carey , Riewoldt, Dal Santo Even Cousins all looked to be gone a few days after all their **** ups

3 of them are in the media now

Tex can come back - he needs to.
Those that want his career to end over 2 words should also take into account 3 other words
“I’m so sorry “

The video is demeaning to both of them. Both are clearly forced into the situation - forced to act like a remorseful villain and a forgiving victim.

If I made a mistake like that at my work I'd be instantly sacked. What makes Taylor Walker any different?
Then I’d suggest you contact FW

“Notwithstanding this, the termination of the operator was found to be harsh due to the personal and economic consequences of the dismissal on him and his dependent children. Further, the dismissal was found to be harsh because it was a disproportionate response to the seriousness of the misconduct.”

Would it have been in any case ??

I think you'd come to the same conclusion

The video is demeaning to both of them. Both are clearly forced into the situation - forced to act like a remorseful villain and a forgiving victim.
I didn't see anyone standing there with a gun trained on them?

Struggle to believe Kane Cornes sometimes, his response to this has been nothing more than pathetic joyful grandstanding.

So glad we have a supporter base that has never made a mistake

Carey , Riewoldt, Dal Santo Even Cousins all looked to be gone a few days after all their **** ups

3 of them are in the media now

Tex can come back - he needs to.
Those that want his career to end over 2 words should also take into account 3 other words
“I’m so sorry “
That is an indictment on the media for allowing it to occur.
Carey assaulted police in America. He went on drugged fuelled benders. He glassed his girlfriend, and yet they shrug their shoulders and say 'no worries'?? Because he was good at football?

It's one of the things that I find most annoying about the media when they decide to attack someone like Tex. Tex deserves criticism. Absolutely. But these idiots are really going to get on their high horse and talk about morals? Next we will have Gary Lyon criticising players when their marriages break down...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back