NO TROLLS Taylor Walker racial slur

Remove this Banner Ad

For a momentary brain fade, and I am not in anyway condoning it. I can't help but feel a massive disproportionate amount of rage being thrown at Tex, and I believe the vitriol is more about Tex than the actual issue, which is a shame as it does need the attention. But I don't see this reaction happening if it was Trent Cotchin or Marc Murphy. Hell there was proven systemic racism at Collingwood that didn't cop this hammering.

But the other side of the coin that has been massive issue recently is mental health, and for me the man I saw in that video was somebody at breaking point, but the pile on continues. For his own well being I wouldn't blame Tex from walking away and cutting all ties, I have this dreadful feeling that the next Tex headline is that he has pulled the plug, and I don't mean on the TV.

Your point about Tex is a fair one. I've never really understood how someone who apparently had enough support to win COTY consecutively attracts the vitriol that he does. Is it just footy spectators that think this way or is he not well regarded by players from other clubs?

Not sure of your Cotchin/Murphy example though. I think if either had said the same thing people would be genuinely shocked whereas much of the commentary I've read seems to be along the lines of 'I knew he was a boofhead and this is just further evidence to support my view'.

Your point about Tex is a fair one. I've never really understood how someone who apparently had enough support to win COTY consecutively attracts the vitriol that he does. Is it just footy spectators that think this way or is he not well regarded by players from other clubs?

Not sure of your Cotchin/Murphy example though. I think if either had said the same thing people would be genuinely shocked whereas much of the commentary I've read seems to be along the lines of 'I knew he was a boofhead and this is just further evidence to support my view'.
I just grabbed Cotchin & Murphy as random "darling" of the afl examples. Tex has always walked around with a target on his back, unfortunately he gave them ammo and they emptied the magazine and reloaded time after time.

I didn’t say that.
My issue is how it has been handled.

No it’s you and those of your ilk wanting to champion your SJW agenda at any other humans expense. He’s just a flawed human like you and me and deserves none of this. Everyone hammering him is just trying to prove how pius they are, at his expense.
You are the problem. The finger pointers out there.

I didn’t say that.
My issue is how it has been handled.

Fair enough. If you think it could have been handled better that's one thing, but can you see that saying "calling someone a bad name, which that person didn’t even hear" carries the imputation that you don't think that racism is a serious problem? You use those words to convey the notion that it's not as serious as everyone is making out.

No it’s you and those of your ilk wanting to champion your SJW agenda at any other humans expense. He’s just a flawed human like you and me and deserves none of this. Everyone hammering him is just trying to prove how pius they are, at his expense.
You are the problem. The finger pointers out there.

<sigh> SJW is usually label thrown around by people with an inability to accept that society is changing and that previous discriminatory behaviours are no longer acceptable.

Your reading of Tex is spot on - a flawed human, like all of us, but "deserves none of this"? Which bit doesn't he deserve? Lots of flawed humans make mistakes all of the time. The courts and gaols are full of them because people are accountable for the things they say and do.

If you actually read my posts rather than reacting, you will see that I'm pointing the finger mostly at people who seek to diminish the seriousness of the problem that is racism in society. It is deadly serious. Just ask Goodes or any other indigenous player in the last 100 years.

Last edited:
Oh
Please
Nobody is saying he is
It didn’t look like Tex was playing the victim at all - it looked like Young had compassion for the man and has forgiven him
A trait sadly lacking in this thread

And in the end-Robbie Young can do what he wants- despite what anyone else - thinks

There's more posts you saying the same thing about people not forgiving Tex than people actually saying that.

Unless of course, he doesn’t want to. I can’t think why he would.
Absolutely but it would be in his best interest to do so otherwise he will go into the wilderness a loser and I dont believe thats what he wants. If he is genuinely sorry he will do something along those line.

I think it's safe to say that most of the commentary and discussion about Taylor Walker and this specific situataion, not just in the media, but generally, is now adding virtually no value in addressing the underlying issue. There are so many people out there now who are looking backward at this and opportunitically using it to position themselves as some sort of moral crusaders, instead of looking forward to where and how change needs to happen. It shits me to tears.

The reality and sentiment of what's happened here is plain for all to see: Tex made a racist comment. He is genuinely remorselful. Robbie Young has forgiven him. The broader indigenous community continues to suffer from underlying, deep seated racism. Society needs to change.

No further discussion or commentary on the Tex situation alters any of the above. The conversation now squarely needs to shift to how we collectively as a society tackle this systemic issue.

I think it's safe to say that most of the commentary and discussion about Taylor Walker and this specific situataion, not just in the media, but generally, is now adding virtually no value in addressing the underlying issue. There are so many people out there now who are looking backward at this and opportunitically using it to position themselves as some sort of moral crusaders, instead of looking forward to where and how change needs to happen. It shits me to tears.

The reality and sentiment of what's happened here is plain for all to see: Tex made a racist comment. He is genuinely remorselful. Robbie Young has forgiven him. The broader indigenous community continues to suffer from underlying, deep seated racism. Society needs to change.

No further discussion or commentary on the Tex situation alters any of the above. The conversation now squarely needs to shift to how we collectively as a society tackle this systemic issue.

Where to from here? For the club and the AFL?

As I said chock o’ block with corporate spin that just gets worst and worst the more it’s dealt with by disingenuous hand wringers. These morons can’t help themselves but botch everything they lay their fingers on. Time is the only healer.
Time heals nothing. In fact, if you're hurt enough, time further infects the wound.
Healing cannot be achieved without forgiveness. And to forgive Tex, his words and actions are now up to him. We will all forgive or not based on our view of his remorse and his future intent around racism.
But time is not the solution.
Just for a minute, imagine Tex disappears now until round 4 next year. Without forgiveness, time will have healed nothing.

Where to from here? For the club and the AFL?
From a list management perspective, I actually think this is an opportuntiy to force our hand and start building a forward line that doesn't centre on Tex. But in terms of the issue at hand, I personally think Tex can actually turn into a real champion of the cause. Granted I don't know him personally, but just based on perception, but also what so many others say about him (inluding Eddie, recently), you get the sense that he will move mountains to right his wrong. I think he can and will become a really positive and effective force for change going forward. From that perspectvie I hope the club (and the AFL) give him a chance to do so.

From a list management perspective, I actually think this is an opportuntiy to force our hand and start building a forward line that doesn't centre on Tex. But in terms of the issue at hand, I personally think Tex can actually turn into a real champion of the cause. Granted I don't know him personally, but just based on perception, but also what so many others say about him (inluding Eddie, recently), you get the sense that he will move mountains to right his wrong. I think he can and will become a really positive and effective force for change going forward. From that perspectvie I hope the club (and the AFL) give him a chance to do so.
Are you plagiarising my posts? (Only joking)
Great post. Awesome in fact.
I couldn't agree more.
To add to your post, I'd like to see Tex focus on racism now firstly and football secondly. He is the epitome of a white Australia which is still learning to live in a more tolerant nation. His "common man" voice might become a big step forward.
That said... I hope he's baring up personally just now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's more that Eddie Maguire doesn't see himself as being racist or of ever saying any racist things. A couple of misunderstandings, that's all.

To him he's not like Taylor Walker.
And therein lies the difference between "a" racist, and someone who has been caught saying something racist.

We'll never hear Eddie actually apologise because he doesnt know what to be sorry for.

And therein lies the difference between "a" racist, and someone who has been caught saying something racist.

We'll never hear Eddie actually apologise because he doesnt know what to be sorry for.

Perhaps that's what makes it so surreal seeing Eddie even be able to continue to engage in any discussion on a football panel, let alone a discussion about racism. The people on the panel wanting Tex to be fired, while not making the same statements about the person guilty of racism sitting next to them.

The difference being, Eddie has made blatantly racist comments in public, and does not take any responsibility for them. The King Kong comment? No apology, not owning it, he was tired, it was a slip of the tongue.

The report being leaked - a proud day for the club.

Why has Eddie not been the subject of every man and his dog piling on and demanding his firing?

Tex has immediately owned it and takes full responsibility, admitted what he said was racist, and apologised.

Stark differences in response from the person, and stark differences in treatment by AFL media.

Perhaps that's what makes it so surreal seeing Eddie even be able to continue to engage in any discussion on a football panel, let alone a discussion about racism. The people on the panel wanting Tex to be fired, while not making the same statements about the person guilty of racism sitting next to them.

The difference being, Eddie has made blatantly racist comments in public, and does not take any responsibility for them. The King Kong comment? No apology, not owning it, he was tired, it was a slip of the tongue.

Why has Eddie not been the subject of every man and his dog piling on and demanding his firing?

Tex has immediately owned it and takes full responsibility, admitted what he said was racist, and apologised.

Stark differences in response from the person, and stark differences in treatment by AFL media.

Eddie understands PR.

Tex, sadly, does not, and whoever advised him to do that video doesn’t either.

Power and Money. Eddie has lots of both, Tex has comparatively less. CrocMedia aren't going to be strong on Maguire's hypocrisy because they have a business relationship (and a personal one for many of them). Making money is their strongest principle.

There was plenty of calls from other public figures for Maguire to bugger off though and it eventually cost him his position at Collingwood.

I think you are right about Tex, but I don't think he will be given the chance. He will be smashed no matter how hard he tries or what he says. Too many with an agenda against the man regardless of the issue. And that is a crying shame cause I think he can be a real driver of the change needed.

What happens if this vitriol shalacking Tex is getting from the media causes him to take his own life? What are they gonna say then? Will they admit the media that has continually lay the boot into him the last 5 years is partially responsible? Will they admit that constant media pressure on a person contributes to their mental health?

Will all those people and players that have said what they said in media this week feel bad or sorry that their words lead to this or will they think he deserved it or worse call him a coward?

He royally ****ed up, and has apologised and is now taking a break to figure things out for himself. Why can't the media move on? He is very obviously a broken man and incredibly sorry for his dumb idiotic actions but if the media keep laying in the boot I'm scared to where it will lead.

Fair enough. If you think it could have been handled better that's one thing, but can you see that saying "calling someone a bad name, which that person didn’t even hear" carries the imputation that you don't think that racism is a serious problem? You use those words to convey the notion that it's not as serious as everyone is making out.
That’s right it’s not a serious incident because it wasn’t directed at anyone directly. It was essentially a private conversation.
It’s not good but it’s across all cultures and singling one random dude out to pillory, is wrong.
I believe it should have been dealt with internally.

What happens if this vitriol shalacking Tex is getting from the media causes him to take his own life? What are they gonna say then? Will they admit the media that has continually lay the boot into him the last 5 years is partially responsible? Will they admit that constant media pressure on a person contributes to their mental health?

Will all those people and players that have said what they said in media this week feel bad or sorry that their words lead to this or will they think he deserved it or worse call him a coward?

He royally f’ed up, and has apologised and is now taking a break to figure things out for himself. Why can't the media move on? He is very obviously a broken man and incredibly sorry for his dumb idiotic actions but if the media keep laying in the boot I'm scared to where it will lead.
And the media will analyse every word that he says to death to the point of exhaustion

People need to now allow time and space for the recovery, healing and education process to take its course

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s right it’s not a serious incident because it wasn’t directed at anyone directly. It was essentially a private conversation.
It’s not good but it’s across all cultures and singling one random dude out to pillory, is wrong.
I believe it should have been dealt with internally.

Listen to Betts, Armstrong etc speak about how it makes them feel and tell me it’s not serious.

Sooner or later it would’ve come out, if it came out that we covered it up it only would’ve hurt people so much more.

ABC Radio in Melbourne have a regular spot on each week where two "spin doctors" public relations experts talk about the issues of the week. It's usually politics but this week, Tex has been the big story.
Just to let my SA based crows fans know, they actually gave the apology video a pretty strong thumbs up. They agreed it was very awkward and hard to watch but the key elements of an apology were done very well by Tex.
Firstly, his language was sincere and did not water down his guilt. He took full responsibility for his actions.
Secondly, having the target of the abuse present and accept the apology was agreed to be a significant element of the apology being said to who it should always be directed to.
Next, the handshake is a gesture between men that matters in our world. This was viewed as a beginning of of forgiveness.
Fourth, he asked (clumsily) for help from the victim to be better in future.
Lastly, the unscripted and amateur quality showed this was not a corporate and professional video written by a lawyer. They agreed it was an effort by a deeply remorseful man who is clearly sorry.

Some journalists are bottom feeders. Just ignore them and listen to the people that matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back