Team Planning

Remove this Banner Ad

cecil

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have noticed alot of talk about trading/delisting players due to our (not yet determined) slide. So heres a thread to talk about the list management if we slip to the lower reaches of the 8 or miss out entirely.

Basically, I see our next window (if this one is closed) opening in about 2014.
So our team will be:

FB: Morris, Marcovic, Lake
HB: Wood, Williams, Picken
C: Ward, Libba, Wallis
HF:Sherman, Jones, Higgins
FF: Veszpremi, Grant, Roughhead
R:Minson, Griffen, Cooney
INT: Hill - 3 draftees

I still have Morris and Lake in the team. Morris would be 31 and Lake 32 but i think Lake's main strength of reading the play and being a good mark would eb mostly unaffected at that age. He could play a role like Flecther or Maxwell zoning off while Williams and Marcovic take the main talls.

This means that the following players will leave:
Hall and Hudson - retire this year
Hargrave, Gia, Gilbee - trade for 3rd round pick if possible, if not retire next year (earlier than originally)
Boyd, Cross, Murphy - Kept until they retire as it would rip the heart out of the club trading them.
Moles, Addison and Stack - First two should be able to be traded a 3rd rounder while Stack for a 4th.
Djekkura, Mulligan, Reid, Hooper, Tutt - Mostly looking doubtful that they will make the team (although some still have time). Keep for now but entertain trades and delist as needed if they dont make it. Mulligan most likely this year.

Zephi, Cordy etc. not included as they dont have alot of exposed form.

So what do you guys think?

We look like we will have a pretty handy team in a few years still, and if we trade out some dead wood now (if possible), we should be able to atleast pick up a few good players to come through into that team.

Definitely.
The extra 3 spots would have to be quicker players to complement Grant, Wood, Hill. That side would be alot quicker than the current one pretty well all the players missing from the current one are a bit one paced (boyd, cross, gia, huddo etc)

I think it's way too early for this sort of surgical analysis. Maybe bump it after about Rd 15 if we are only just in the top 8.

I'm not interested in writing obituaries on senior players just yet but for what it's worth I would keep an eye on Tom Hill and maybe even Matthew Panos as potential key forwards in 2-3 years.

Rodney Eade and the selectors have a problem because four of our leadership group namely Boyd, Hudson, Giansiracusa and Cross are all slow. Boyd and Cross are certainly automatic selections, how would you like to be a midfielder roving to Hudson who doesn't tap the ball to anyone and wants to do the second effort. Every time he plays against a skilled ruckman he is soundly thrashed. We would be far better off at this stage putting our efforts into the much maligned Minson who is dominating at Williamstown and can at least tap the ball. Having not missed a game at Williamstown I defy anyone to tell me that Hudson is better overhead than Minson. I haven't seen Hudson take a contested overhead mark for two years. Surely it's time to move on and play Minson instead of Hudson. Re Gia people want him out because he puts on no forward pressure and is basically just too slow. Sherman proved this point playing the small forward role last week against Freo. It's time for tough decisions, Gia and Hudson have to go.

I still have Morris and Lake in the team. Morris would be 31 and Lake 32 but i think Lake's main strength of reading the play and being a good mark would eb mostly unaffected at that age.

Lake having problems with hips at this stage is not good. Hips generally dont improive, they degenerate quite rapidly depending on the amount of damage to the area.

This means that the following players will leave:
Hall and Hudson - retire this year
I could see Huddo go 1 more year as a backup/sub ruck. As far as the big man Hall goes, its not looking too well. If he continues to struggle due to injury it may just not be worth the risk to his health.

Hargrave, Gia, Gilbee - trade for 3rd round pick if possible, if not retire next year (earlier than originally)

We might get a 2nd/3rd round pick for Hargrave but we'd be likely to get nothing for Gilbee & Gia based on their age alone.

Boyd, Cross, Murphy - Kept until they retire as it would rip the heart out of the club trading them

Boyd and Cross have 3 years or so left. Bob might have 1 at the most.

Moles, Addison and Stack - First two should be able to be traded a 3rd rounder while Stack for a 4th.
I wouldnt let go of DFA. He's injured (?) at the moment and still has a fair bit to offer the club. He showed that last year.

Moles - showed a little last year but couldnt sustain it.
Stack - I would let go.

I could see Huddo go 1 more year as a backup/sub ruck. As far as the big man Hall goes, its not looking too well. If he continues to struggle due to injury it may just not be worth the risk to his health.

We might get a 2nd/3rd round pick for Hargrave but we'd be likely to get nothing for Gilbee & Gia based on their age alone.

I wouldnt let go of DFA. He's injured (?) at the moment and still has a fair bit to offer the club. He showed that last year.

Moles - showed a little last year but couldnt sustain it.
Stack - I would let go.

Huddo could defininately go atleast another year, but if we fail to go well this year i think its probably better to let him go and throw Minson in the deep end to see if he is up to it. That also allows us to give plenty of games to Roughhead and a few to Cordy and maybe even Prato.

I thought Hargrave was the oldest of the three. I think we would be able to trade atleast one, hopefully two of them. They may appeal to a team like Carlton, Sydney or Freo who aren't quite there to challange and could use them for 2 or 3 years. Gia and Hargrave especially.

I agree with Cross and Boyd both having a few years left. As lond as they aren't getting in the way of Ward, Libba, Wallis etc. they could stay on kind of like Eagleton did last year.

I'm a fan of both Addison and Moles but I think if we were to have a mini-rebuild we would be better off trading them. They would both attract interest and we may as well stock up on draft picks, even if they are only 3rd rounder.

We need to remember that we have an upto four father sons coming in hunter and wallis Along with talls in Beasley and cordy. I think our future looks bright with our talls other then needed some tall backs. Tutt will be a player IMO and schofield and Delhi seem to be likely types and skinner/lee to early to tell

I think you're being pessimistic. I know he has a history of injuries but barring any mishaps, Murphy's form and fitness so far this year have been outstanding and I see no reason why he can't go on for at least another couple of years.

We need to remember that we have an upto four father sons coming in hunter and wallis Along with talls in Beasley and cordy. I think our future looks bright with our talls other then needed some tall backs. Tutt will be a player IMO and schofield and Delhi seem to be likely types and skinner/lee to early to tell

Jury still seems to be out as to whether Beasley has the talent.

Who is Lee?

Thats Schofield, Dahlhouse and Skinner, right? Great if all three same on!

Can someone tell me do we really have Hunter available in the upcoming draft, as they said in the paper?

We should really concentrate on a ball magnet midfielder who can use the ball well under pressure. Pace optional, but a bonus.

Seriously, that is the one key ability I want to see in any midfielder we pick up with our highest pick. Pick the kid who gets tagged and scragged every week and still gets his share of ball and uses it damn well.

Can someone tell me do we really have Hunter available in the upcoming draft, as they said in the paper?

We should really concentrate on a ball magnet midfielder who can use the ball well under pressure. Pace optional, but a bonus.

Seriously, that is the one key ability I want to see in any midfielder we pick up with our highest pick. Pick the kid who gets tagged and scragged every week and still gets his share of ball and uses it damn well.
Agree 100% Stefoid but the kid with those credentials will go to GWS. Basically that's what every side wants, the next Judd, Ablett or Swan. There won't be too many of them left at pick 137 or whatever our first pick is.

Let's just hope that's what Hunter can do!

A friend of mine who is a keen dogs fan son played on young hunter and thinks he has a raw talent but would likely be someone we get with out another club bidding. I think people worry to much bout the draft. Have a look at guys like Darling that were early 2nd round picks in this draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back