Teammates that didn't like each other

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't he ready to retire but the club convinced him to stay on and on a much reduced salary so you could fit all the aging stars in?
Maybe, although that is not how I recall it. I think that may be something Aker said to gain sympathy. Having a wage of 250,000 to 300,000 must of been really hard for him.:rolleyes: He wanted to play on as the club had narrowly missed the GF the year before and he had had a good year. Mistake in hindsight from both parties regardless of why he played on, as he had kicked 2 goals in half a season.

Just rumours on bigfooty but Sam Mitchell wasn't supposed to be that popular with a lot of his Hawthorn teammates.

I have two indirect sources.

One a journo mate who said Mitchell was arrogant when dealing with him. And my mate isn't a hard hitting type journo. This would've been around a decade ago.

Another person I work with who knows the midwife at one of Mitchell's kid's birth. Apparently the biggest a-hole father to be they'd ever experienced.

And to continue the Hawthorn theme, the son of my father's friend was being bullied relentlessly by a little kid with a big mouth in his swimming lessons. Clarko's son of course.

One a journo mate who said Mitchell was arrogant when dealing with him. And my mate isn't a hard hitting type journo. This would've been around a decade ago.

Another person I work with who knows the midwife at one of Mitchell's kid's birth. Apparently the biggest a-hole father to be they'd ever experienced.

And to continue the Hawthorn theme, the son of my father's friend was being bullied relentlessly by a little kid with a big mouth in his swimming lessons. Clarko's son of course.
experienced mitchell actually avoided him being flogged by a number of bikies. Arrogant little campaigner who has dramatic little man syndrome.

The Family club.

Mitchell is very demanding and super honest, probably too honest which could be seen as harsh. He calls it as he sees it. Would put some offside but I can assure you every player on the list would respect the hell out of him.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Hes going to tear jetta to shred this year

Cameron mooney and mark blake.... Stemmed from blakes actions post getting dropped for the 07 Gf.... We all as fans heard the older guys at the club didnt like blake ( moons, king, scarlett milburn etc ) but it never fully got touched on until mooney admitted on sen he was by far his most disliked teammate.

Cameron mooney and mark blake.... Stemmed from blakes actions post getting dropped for the 07 Gf.... We all as fans heard the older guys at the club didnt like blake ( moons, king, scarlett milburn etc ) but it never fully got touched on until mooney admitted on sen he was by far his most disliked teammate.

Understandable from an outsiders point of view

Yeah of course missing a GF is going to hurt, but at no stage did he make any effort at all to put on the brave face and at the very least make an effort to say "at least we won".
Looked like he sooked it up from start to finish and that is never going to endear him to anyone.

Just wondering about teammates that were known to hate each other or at the least have no time for each other.

McLeod and Edwards at Adelaide is a well known feud.

Diesel Williams and David Rhys-Jones never liked each other in opposition and that carried over to when they both played for Carlton in 1992.

How about coach/player feuds?

Percy Jones continues to resent Wayne Johnston for not trying for him in 1980, stopping what he believed would have been 4 flags in a row.

One altercation doesn't necessarily mean teammates don't like each other but the Matthew Hogg/Mick McGuane altercation is one that seems to mean just that.

What other known examples can you think of?

O'Hailpin and a Cloke. :p

Actually the Rhys-Jones one and Greg Williams is interesting. I thought they did not play together but turns out in 1992 there were 5 games they played in same team. Would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall with those two around.

I never heard Percy Jones hated Wayne Johnston. In fact I have a feeling I remember seeing them embrace after 1979 grand final win. Also when Percy Jones was coach in 1980 , Wayne Johnston kicked 7 goals at Vic Park to destroy Pies in round one. Hardly "not trying"
Johnston had more kicks than any other player that year for Carlton and kicked 51 goals in season.

Reality was Percy Jones was not just a great coach and essentially the gap year between Jezza leaving as coach and Parkin taking over next was what probably cost us 4 flags in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Understandable from an outsiders point of view

Yeah of course missing a GF is going to hurt, but at no stage did he make any effort at all to put on the brave face and at the very least make an effort to say "at least we won".
Looked like he sooked it up from start to finish and that is never going to endear him to anyone.
The scenes after the 2007 GF where he was out on the ground with the dark Sunglasses and chewing was a joke. Looked like he was at a funeral.
Biggest dick.

Last edited:
I don't see why team mates have to pretend to like each other in the first place. I mean from an early age they are competing against each other for increasingly diminishing professional roles.

In addition to that, I think Don Scott puts it in perspective in his interview on Open Mike. Sheehan kept pumping him about his relationship with Leigh Matthews and kept raising the point they never spoke.

Scott emphasised that the only thing he had in common with Matthews was the fact they could play football. They didn't dislike each other, they just had nothing else to share. Sheehan couldn't grasp this, he seems to hold this distorted view that all team mates are buddies and get on so well. Nothing can be further from the truth.

Having played a lot of team sport, some people you get on with better than others. That's life. Just because you rarely speak, doesn't mean you hate someone, it just means you have nothing to say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back