The 2018 Fixture - Announcements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton more home games at Etihad, which isn’t our home

And we have the second most 6 day breaks (6)
To put it bluntly you're not exactly a big draw card that can make big demands and expect to get them all, get out of the bottom 4 and play regular finals with big crowds and they will give you more MCG home games.

Considering the headlines are about the Pies easy draw, the obvious 2 bottom sides are North and GC and we only play them once each.

Our fixture last year was, commercially, a horror too. We made it work. Maybe you can too.
It's just odd though. We go seven weeks without a home game in Victoria. We get lumped with a monstrous number of Sundays. We literally have one Victorian night game, home or away, and three night games total. Carlton plays as many Friday nights than Melbourne plays total night games.

It's like I have been teleported back to 2013.

EDIT: Turns out Round 2 is a night game too. Still interstate.

12/21 on FTA is interesting.

It's just odd though. We go seven weeks without a home game in Victoria. We get lumped with a monstrous number of Sundays. We literally have one Victorian night game, home or away, and three night games total. Carlton plays more Friday nights than Melbourne plays total night games.

It's like I have been teleported back to 2013.

Go look at our draw from last year. 3 years in finals, then we dropped down one year and got crucified. 0 Fridays, etc.

Mind you, we still get 6 Sundays this year & 9 Foxtel games, so they're not exactly giving us the Premiership ride.

Probably smart decision giving Adelaide 3 Friday night away games, maximize the tv audience in Adelaide, thank you for no Kardinia park trip.

Geelong, Port, essedon, Bulldogs and Pies have all done nicely.

North, not a bad draw, but we are getting set up to lose good friday. The Dees will finally break their North hoodoo in round 3.

Suns have to play 2 x W.A. away, 2 x S.A. away, 2 x N.S.W. away and Geelong away to round out the season. Pick 1 and Lynch compensation is now covered. Rankine & Lukosius, come on down.

Go look at our draw from last year. 3 years in finals, then we dropped down one year and got crucified. 0 Fridays, etc.

Mind you, we still get 6 Sundays this year & 9 Foxtel games, so they're not exactly giving us the Premiership ride.

You are always going to get some Sundays, that's just reality. Given a third of matches are on a Sunday, if you have under 7 games on Sunday you are ahead of par. Same with Foxtel since over 50% of games are on there.

Melbourne has done well with FTA but been screwed by timeslots. St Kilda, Collingwood and Carlton all have more Friday nights.

Carlton have gotten the best financial fixture I've seen in yonks.

To put it bluntly you're not exactly a big draw card that can make big demands and expect to get them all, get out of the bottom 4 and play regular finals with big crowds and they will give you more MCG home games.

Are the blues are big drawcard?

You are always going to get some Sundays, that's just reality. Given a third of matches are on a Sunday, if you have under 7 games on Sunday you are ahead of par. Same with Foxtel since over 50% of games are on there.

Melbourne has done well with FTA but been screwed by timeslots. St Kilda, Collingwood and Carlton all have more Friday nights.

Delighted your our second MCG game. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall during discussions with the AFL. I'm certain the Demons would have wanted to move our game to the NT as a low drawing club. I get the Crows in Alice, I've lived there and they will be the popular club there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delighted your our second MCG game. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall during discussions with the AFL. I'm certain the Demons would have wanted to move our game to the NT as a low drawing club. I get the Crows in Alice, I've lived there and they will be the popular club there.
Should of been in darwin again. 12,104 highest attendance since 2006.

Understood, but just looking at the previous premiers....WB got 9 fridays, and only 3 sundays....

In general terms, Richmond has a pretty good commercial fixture, but as the premiers, we didn't do so well.

Carlton always gets a cushy ride from the AFL.

How does a team who played in the grand final only get 2 games at the MCG next season.

Last edited:
Should of been in darwin again. 12,104 highest attendance since 2006.
Maybe there are quite a few people with links in Darwin as well. There's a real SA feel in Alice though.
You guys have drawn some minor stadiums.
Just one early tip.
If your thinking of coming to a night game in Canberra in August, bring a coat. :DAnd gloves, beanie and thermal underwear.

Last edited:
8 out of 12 Eagles games at new stadium on Sunday afternoon. **** you AFL.
That's probably more due to Fox Footy liking the Perth game being played then and they pay good money for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back