The AFL wants 22 teams. Name your next four.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

juss

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Absolutely. That happened in WA & SA. The issue with 'support' is memberships. Just because someone here may be a a Blues, Pies, Bombers follower or whatever, they'll become a member to watch regular footy. Like WA & SA they'll follow a local side.

They're less likely to bother with a 'forced' transplant of someone elses club.
But why can't they follow a local side AND follow an AFL side for Tassie, which is their team in the highest league?
Just because I follow Richmond doesn't mean I can't also support other teams in other leagues.

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tasmania should be the number 1 priority
3rd WA team, most likely more northern (like Broome) and playing some games in Darwin
Vic Country in the East (Sale maybe?)
Vic Country to the West/ North West (Ballarat or Bendigo)

I was going to suggest Canberra but the AFL would never do that as it creates competition for membership with GWS
Broome population half that of Alice Springs. No I dont think so. Its also a long way to anywhere else.

Ballarat or Bendigo. How much impetus for that considering the distance to 10 other AFL clubs?

Sale/ Latrobe Valley. Would that be big enough? Also ease of access to Melbourne clubs.

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
But why can't they follow a local side AND follow an AFL side for Tassie, which is their team in the highest league?
Just because I follow Richmond doesn't mean I can't also support other teams in other leagues.
Well they most probably would. I've said b4 on BF, many here still have their VFL side but would buy a Tassie membership for a proper local side. I'm saying a side banished from elsewhere would struggle for acceptance.

Walshawk

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tasmania should be the number 1 priority
3rd WA team, most likely more northern (like Broome) and playing some games in Darwin
Vic Country in the East (Sale maybe?)
Vic Country to the West/ North West (Ballarat or Bendigo)

I was going to suggest Canberra but the AFL would never do that as it creates competition for membership with GWS
Yes don’t suggest Canberra with its high earning 400,000 population. With almost 15,000 in a low socio economic area, Sale would be a powerhouse.

PMBangers

Team Captain
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City
Yes don’t suggest Canberra with its high earning 400,000 population. With almost 15,000 in a low socio economic area, Sale would be a powerhouse.
Sorry, seems I stumbled into a thread with people more seriously considering the question than I, guess I'll show myself out

PowerForGood

Self-imposed Suspension to 2019.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I remember travelling out to Morwell to watch them play Adelaide in the old National Soccer League.
Was amazed at how small the crowd was (<1000).
Asked a local "why the small crowd?". No joke, they said it was because there were 3 Italian weddings that night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
I cant see why not.

With your original comment you did.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I think you know he treated the thread with disdain. So I returned the compliment. I mean after all GWS was gift wrapped to Sydney.
I could ask if many recruits would want to live in the west of Sydney, but I didn't go their. Maybe just leave it or tell him to either write something sensible or PO if he's not interested

General Giant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
I think you know he treated the thread with disdain. So I returned the compliment. I mean after all GWS was gift wrapped to Sydney.
I could ask if many recruits would want to live in the west of Sydney, but I didn't go their. Maybe just leave it or tell him to either write something sensible or PO if he's not interested
And i could play the same thing about the apple isle.

Or maybe ignore him.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Joker

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sydney/NSW, must get another team, ASAP. Getting the rivalry going in Sydney will do wonders for game!

Adelaide, a third team in S.A. will lessen the flight load on W.A. clubs that little bit more!

Tasmania, it's a necessity!

Darwin, The AFL should have gone there before Gold Coast (well they should have gone any & everywhere before GC), but The AFL couldn't expect its high class players to have to live in a town like Darwin, now could they, So a 3rd W.A. team will do!

N.Z. Tell 'im he's dreamin'!

telsor

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Habs
Sydney/NSW, must get another team, ASAP. Getting the rivalry going in Sydney will do wonders for game!

Adelaide, a third team in S.A. will lessen the flight load on W.A. clubs that little bit more!

Tasmania, it's a necessity!

Darwin, The AFL should have gone there before Gold Coast (well they should have gone any & everywhere before GC), but The AFL couldn't expect its high class players to have to live in a town like Darwin, now could they, So a 3rd W.A. team will do!

N.Z. Tell 'im he's dreamin'!

1) What, like GWS did?

2) If you want to lessen the travel load on WA teams, why not add another WA team?

3) Pretty much.

4) Darwin would be well down the list. Way too small a town, and too distant.

WA3, WA4, SA3 & Tas1

The Joker

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
1) What, like GWS did?
You can't see it through the will to be a smart arse!

The second team in NSW, before GWS becomes to much of a power, will give the third team and it's supporters some ground to build structure. No team on earth could stroll into a 35 year old, one team town, and think a rivalry will just happen over night!

You would get more hatred between those two teams as they grow, than either would have against The Swans.

Think of it like 2 kid boys and a big brother who is at Uni. They compete against each other, come what may, through blood sweat and tears, but they both look up to and love their big brother!

2) If you want to lessen the travel load on WA teams, why not add another WA team?
Because I said S.A!

3) Pretty much.

4) Darwin would be well down the list. Way too small a town, and too distant.
It has more people in it than Perth did in '86 and it is a 30min longer flight. Listen to me, it is because of the reason i have already posted, to 'outback' for 'high class' AFL footballers to be expected to live in!

WA3, WA4, SA3 & Tas1
WA's third team will work, a forth team will certainly not!

The third team needs to be right from within the City, and it needs to be a team with history. If Perth was South Freo it would be a no brainer. But the Perth name will accompany the new team so you could merge The Demons with East or West Perth, making The Perth Royals or Falcons, at both AFL and WAFL levels for stability!

The Eagles can **** off out of Lathlain and move to their home on the West Coast, wherever that is!

Last edited:
Top Bottom