Streaming The Artful Dodger.

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn

A new take on the character from Oliver Twist.

My Review:

As a drama, with comedic writing, I found I had to watch it a second time to get all the jokes. Certainly good enough for a second season.

Set in Australia in 1855 in the fictional colony capital of Port Victory.

• Thomas Brodie-Sangster as the Artful Dodger, Jack Dawkins, busted out of prison by the man who sent him there, Dawkins is seconded to the Royal Navy where his skilled fingers turns him into a surgeon. Decorated in the Crimea for his medical work, he was recommended to serve in the colony.
  • David Thewlis as Norbert Fagin, Jack's former surrogate father and a convicted thief. Transported to Port Victory he finds Dawkins and uses their past history to his advantage. Dawkins allows Fagin to explore the under side of society for his grift and benefit.
  • Maia Mitchell as Lady Belle Fox, a strong willed young woman who uses her position as the governor's daughter to get what she wants. She likes to torment her sister, while spending her time reading literature in the field of medicine. She uses leverage to make Dawkins train her as a surgeon.
  • Damon Herriman as Captain Lucien Gaines, the cunning and zealous commander of the colony's soldiers.

Last edited:
I liked it, it was a fun show with likeable characters. There were some very anachronistic approaches to the characters and the setting, most notably in how Oliver Twist was (deliberately) completely the opposite of how he was in the novel, but overall the show was a fun experience.

Interestingly the Herald Sun today had a front page, full inside front page, full inside back page and full back page ad for this show.

A new take on the character from Oliver Twist.

My Review:

As a drama, with comedic writing, I found I had to what it a second time to get all the jokes. Certainly good enough for a second season.

Set in Australia in 1855 in the fictional colony capital of Port Victory.

• Thomas Brodie-Sangster as the Artful Dodger, Jack Dawkins, busted out of prison by the man who sent him there, Dawkins is seconded to the Royal Navy where his skilled fingers turns him into a surgeon. Decorated in the Crimea for his medical work, he was recommended to serve in the colony.
  • David Thewlis as Norbert Fagin, Jack's former surrogate father and a convicted thief. Transported to Port Victory he finds Dawkins and uses their past history to his advantage. Dawkins allows Fagin to explore the under side of society for his grift and benefit.
  • Maia Mitchell as Lady Belle Fox, a strong willed young woman who uses her position as the governor's daughter to get what she wants. She likes to torment her sister, while spending her time reading literature in the field of medicine. She uses leverage to make Dawkins train her as a surgeon.
  • Damon Herriman as Captain Lucien Gaines, the cunning and zealous commander of the colony's soldiers.

I ran into Damon in 2022 and wat a nice bloke. It was just after his sensational acting in the Underground Railroad

I think the biggest hindrance to a season two would be the availability of the main cast. Both Brodie-Sangster and Mitchell have busy schedules.

Interestingly the Herald Sun today had a front page, full inside front page, full inside back page and full back page ad for this show.

Attachments

• 20240117_134614.jpg
    20240117_134614.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240117_134621.jpg
    20240117_134621.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240117_134624.jpg
    20240117_134624.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240117_134632.jpg
    20240117_134632.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
As someone who usually doesn't like period pieces, I enjoyed this... Mainly because it was different, quite clever and balanced the drama & comedy very well. I think I could watch Thewlis & Herriman in anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back