The Association Football AFL Thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started early on the beers today it would seem

Hardly without substance, our top 3 players at Carlton have more talent collectively than the entire scrubs at Hawthorn put together.

We finally have a decent coach at Premiership Park, things are turning around at Carlton.
We will smash Richmond in round 1 in the season opener (to the tune of 80 points plus) and then most of you will buy into the message I am buying.Carlton is back as a legitimate force in the game, and it feels so good.

The player sets the terms of their contract in the PSD. According to the below article, teams with a pick before Sydney couldn't afford him or didn't want him. The whole thing sounds pretty shady tbh. As I said though, this situation rarely happens.

In hindsight, the Tipppet deal backfired on the Swans, he barely put together a decent season for Sydney, and it was his extravagant contract That put them into Salary Cap Problems with Demetriou and Fitzpatrick in the first place.

It's ironic the Swans far more than the Crows suffered for Tiprat signing on for Sydney in hindsight really

Hardly without substance, our top 3 players at Carlton have more talent collectively than the entire scrubs at Hawthorn put together.

We finally have a decent coach at Premiership Park, things are turning around at Carlton.
We will smash Richmond in round 1 in the season opener (to the tune of 80 points plus) and then most of you will buy into the message I am buying.Carlton is back as a legitimate force in the game, and it feels so good.
Who says you have a decent coach? Voss has failed before and can fail again.

In hindsight, the Tipppet deal backfired on the Swans, he barely put together a decent season for Sydney, and it was his extravagant contract That put them into Salary Cap Problems with Demetriou and Fitzpatrick in the first place.

It's ironic the Swans far more than the Crows suffered for Tiprat signing on for Sydney in hindsight really

Yeah nah, they got pissed that we took Buddy off GWS.

Who says you have a decent coach? Voss has failed before and can fail again.

The more I read from Voss, the more I like the appointment. He can very well fail again but this time it would be off the back of years in the AFL system gaining a lot of experience but I have a lot of confidence in him as a head coach. The first time at Brisbane he was hired as the head coach two years after he retired, ridiculous to look back at it now.

Yeah nah, they got pissed that we took Buddy off GWS.

Can you honestly sit here and tell us that Kurt Tippett gave the Swans value for money, given you were reportedly paying him 700-750 K per season?

It's not just the amount of trade capital you gave up for a player but salary cap space over the years (absolutely unashamed to admit Carlton have done the same many times, especially in recent years aka Daisy Thomas, Mitch McGovern, Jack Martin etc)

I will go so far and say signing Tippett cost the Swans at least winning another flag or two in the Prime Buddy years.

Can you honestly sit here and tell us that Kurt Tippett gave the Swans value for money, given you were reportedly paying him 700-750 K per season?

It's not just the amount of trade capital you gave up for a player but salary cap space over the years (absolutely unashamed to admit Carlton have done the same many times, especially in recent years aka Daisy Thomas, Mitch McGovern, Jack Martin etc)

I will go so far and say signing Tippett cost the Swans at least winning another flag or two in the Prime Buddy years.

I don't think that's what I was responding to..

Also I think Buddy caused more issues with our cap than Tippett.

The more I read from Voss, the more I like the appointment. He can very well fail again but this time it would be off the back of years in the AFL system gaining a lot of experience but I have a lot of confidence in him as a head coach. The first time at Brisbane he was hired as the head coach two years after he retired, ridiculous to look back at it now.
The more i hear from him, the more I think concussion was swept under the rug back in the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more i hear from him, the more I think concussion was swept under the rug back in the day.

Well…. Yeah! It definitely was.

He’s a decent guy IMO. Next year will be an interesting one for a lot of players on the list.

Call me a Kool Aid drinker, a nuffie or whatever, but I firmly believe Sir Michael Voss will be Carlton's next premiership. Just remember Sir Alex Ferguson and Bill Belichick were fired from their first managerial jobs in their respective codes,Michael Voss is cut from the same cloth as a winning tactician. Trust me.

Call me a Kool Aid drinker, a nuffie or whatever, but I firmly believe Sir Michael Voss will be Carlton's next premiership. Just remember Sir Alex Ferguson and Bill Belichick were fired from their first managerial jobs in their respective codes,Michael Voss is cut from the same cloth as a winning tactician. Trust me.

Also Sir Alex wasn't fired for being s**t. Also Belichick was fired during a change of location of team. Hardly anything to do with him.

Looks like we’re talking about Carlton…

I saw someone post their best 22 for next year on Facebook. Still a very ordinary side. Holes everywhere. I think they fall short again.

You know what’s hilarious, you’ve spent a fortune in picks and salary cap on HBF and Hawthorn has 3 of them better than yours.

Sicily
Impey (does play elsewhere also)
Jiath

Scrimshaw
Day

Developing nicely.

Hartigan and Frost are spuds, but DGB looks a top prospect as does Bramble.

You’ve been rebuilding as bottom 4 rabble for how long? And they arguably already have a better defence.

Cripps and Walsh and a bunch of carthorses v Mitchell, O’Meara and Worpel and a bunch of carthorses.

McKay and very little else v Breust and very little else.

I probably overrate Norths list a fair bit but I'd expect us to go past Carlton if we can avoid injuries. The game is pretty much won and lost in the guts these days and our midfield is much deeper than Carltons. Walsh is a star, Cripps on his day is one too and Cerra is good with upside. The rest of their midfield are pretty average and/or playing out of position. North have Cunners, Simpkin, LDU, Tom Powell, Phillips, Stephenson and are about to draft Neo. I'd say Norths midfield bats a lot deeper and over the long term should be excellent whereas Carlton still need to draft 3 or 4 pure mids imo. I don't particularly rate Stocker or Dow.

In terms of bookends, Larkey and Zu pretty much cancel out H McKay and outside of hype, there is very little difference between B McKay and Weitering. We will have Aiden Corr back from injury this season which will be huge for us. It's a shame for Carlton that Curnow can't get a decent run at it.

Would be interested in neutrals POV of my analysis. Less so Elmer and RCPB haha. Until there is a change of attitude at Carlton and their mids start running both ways I don't see much improvement from them. Both teams still have holes everywhere and will need a few good drafts and some patience before winning a final.

I probably overrate Norths list a fair bit but I'd expect us to go past Carlton if we can avoid injuries. The game is pretty much won and lost in the guts these days and our midfield is much deeper than Carltons. Walsh is a star, Cripps on his day is one too and Cerra is good with upside. The rest of their midfield are pretty average and/or playing out of position. North have Cunners, Simpkin, LDU, Tom Powell, Phillips, Stephenson and are about to draft Neo. I'd say Norths midfield bats a lot deeper and over the long term should be excellent whereas Carlton still need to draft 3 or 4 pure mids imo. I don't particularly rate Stocker or Dow.

In terms of bookends, Larkey and Zu pretty much cancel out H McKay and outside of hype, there is very little difference between B McKay and Weitering. We will have Aiden Corr back from injury this season which will be huge for us. It's a shame for Carlton that Curnow can't get a decent run at it.

Would be interested in neutrals POV of my analysis. Less so Elmer and RCPB haha. Until there is a change of attitude at Carlton and their mids start running both ways I don't see much improvement from them. Both teams still have holes everywhere and will need a few good drafts and some patience before winning a final.
North have to keep their senior players fit, was apparent how much you missed Cunnington for example early in tbe season, you improved steadily once he returned

Taz might be a blow down back, McKay is developing well, but are you going to rely on Corr and Young for support now? Also is Walker playing forward or back these days too? Just think you're a bit lean down there but you're pretty settled with flanker types now since Zeebs and Halls moves down there and Atu being traded in and still got McDonald too. Kinda felt Macmillan was stiff getting delisted a year or 2 ago but I guess Zeebs is in his role now.

No problems with midfield, there should be enough organic growth as shown by Simpkin and LDU over the last 2 seasons.

North have to keep their senior players fit, was apparent how much you missed Cunnington for example early in tbe season, you improved steadily once he returned

Taz might be a blow down back, McKay is developing well, but are you going to rely on Corr and Young for support now? Also is Walker playing forward or back these days too? Just think you're a bit lean down there but you're pretty settled with flanker types now since Zeebs and Halls moves down there and Atu being traded in and still got McDonald too. Kinda felt Macmillan was stiff getting delisted a year or 2 ago but I guess Zeebs is in his role now.

No problems with midfield, there should be enough organic growth as shown by Simpkin and LDU over the last 2 seasons.
You are spot on regarding Cunners. Didn't help that Anderson was injured at the same time so we had no tough bodies to help out the kids early in the season.
McKay and Walker will be down back on the talls with Corr able to play on talls and smalls. Definitely lean down back and we need to draft a key tall defender. I know the stigma with Hall but he had an excellent year and drove a lot of attack of half back for us and made everyone realise how ineffectual Shaun Atley is.

Plenty of tall forward / rucks coming through with Comben, CCJ and Edwards so unless a Max King type becomes available in the draft or by trade we won't go for one. We are in desperate need of a gun small forward though. Kozi Pickett came about 2 years too early for us unfortunately.

You are spot on regarding Cunners. Didn't help that Anderson was injured at the same time so we had no tough bodies to help out the kids early in the season.
McKay and Walker will be down back on the talls with Corr able to play on talls and smalls. Definitely lean down back and we need to draft a key tall defender. I know the stigma with Hall but he had an excellent year and drove a lot of attack of half back for us and made everyone realise how ineffectual Shaun Atley is.

Plenty of tall forward / rucks coming through with Comben, CCJ and Edwards so unless a Max King type becomes available in the draft or by trade we won't go for one. We are in desperate need of a gun small forward though. Kozi Pickett came about 2 years too early for us unfortunately.
Atley is easily the worst 200 gamer of all time, would've only played 70-80 games across 2-3 clubs if he wasn't one of Bwads favourites imo. Yeah you take the good and bad with Hall, perhaps settling down at half back will make him more accountable, but could also help his durability as he has been a bit injury prone over the years too.

Yeah your forwards will sort themselves out in time, plenty of forward/ruck types to pump games into as you've mentioned. Is Taylor still playing forward or is he out of favour these days? Kanye has been there for ages, is he still getting a run because it's a position you're light in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back