The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah * that, we’re from Geelong not Melbourne.
But why isn’t the comp then set up for every team to have their own home ground advantage? It’s a quirk that only benefits Geelong (in Victoria). If I had it my way, we’d be playing all of our home games at PRO. It’s not a local competition though.

I completely understand the appeal of playing in Geelong for you guys. If you take the away the obvious gameday advantages, you have a local ground with an 80 odd year history to it. It has become a fortress and you want to protect it at all costs. But if we’re talking purely from a fairness perspective, you playing all your home games at Marvel Stadium would put a line through a chunk of the leg ups that I mentioned before.

But why isn’t the comp then set up for every team to have their own home ground advantage? It’s a quirk that only benefits Geelong (in Victoria). If I had it my way, we’d be playing all of our home games at PRO. It’s not a local competition though.

I completely understand the appeal of playing in Geelong for you guys. If you take the away the obvious gameday advantages, you have a local ground with an 80 odd year history to it. It has become a fortress and you want to protect it at all costs. But if we’re talking purely from a fairness perspective, you playing all your home games at Marvel Stadium would put a line through a chunk of the leg ups that I mentioned before.

The AFL is the most compromised sport in the world, Geelong playing in ‘Geelong’ is far from the biggest issue. There’s too many Victorian teams to begin with, the MCG will host the GF for the next 30 years which is a huge disadvantage to interstate teams, you can go through and pick out many issues and unfairness in our game.

The AFL is the most compromised sport in the world, Geelong playing in ‘Geelong’ is far from the biggest issue. There’s too many Victorian teams to begin with, the MCG will host the GF for the next 30 years which is a huge disadvantage to interstate teams, you can go through and pick out many issues and unfairness in our game.
Too many Vic teams but AFL are pouring money into GC and Giants? Don’t get the too many Vic teams argument.

Too many Vic teams but AFL are pouring money into GC and Giants? Don’t get the too many Vic teams argument.

Why can both not be true? 9 teams in Melbourne is a lot.

What’s your proposal for Grand Finals though? I just feel removing GMHBA from Geelong and giving them Marvel creates a level playing field. Then like every other Vic club, they’re free to train and base themselves wherever they want but they have that obligation to travel to the Melbourne CBD for home games.

I’ve always thought given how well Geelong sell the Great Ocean Rd dream, a club like St Kilda should reposition themselves on the Mornington Peninsula. It would give them a point of difference and they could offer a beachside lifestyle when trying to lure new recruits. Not everyone from Vic wants to live in Melbourne, especially country boys and those from the Gippsland and Mornington regions. It also puts them on the doorstep of the south eastern growth corridors. Would be a lot more appealing than Moorabbin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is absurd.

Free kick differential 2017-2021:
390D73DC-460B-42FB-8F7C-8C5C29B701A1.jpeg

Free kick differential 2019-2023:
9CDF1858-45BF-4601-955F-3A485D6BBC0E.jpeg

Free kick differential to round 8 2024:
87A85E01-1C2B-44D3-BE94-8DBA712E3B43.jpeg

Steve Hocking’s fault.
No, but Steve Hocking did introduce the stand rule and cited Richmond and Trent Cotchin in particular as a reason for bringing it in.

Geelong were also made aware of the stand rule well before other clubs and had been training for it weeks before other clubs had been notified.

You can add that to the leg up list.

No, but Steve Hocking did introduce the stand rule and cited Richmond and Trent Cotchin in particular as a reason for bringing it in.

Geelong were also made aware of the stand rule well before other clubs and had been training for it weeks before other clubs had been notified.

You can add that to the leg up list.

Any evidence of this?

How could you not love Will Schofield after this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back