The Association Football AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Geelong supporter has his head buried in the sand? Nah, not possible lol.

Between Dank and The Weapon being at Geelong for years in their premiership years, Max Rooke winning two premierships when he was on a banned substance (at the time) and should have been suspended rather than free to play so Geelong played an ineligible player and now this $40,000 fine for breaching the salary cap - “accounting error” - they’re dirty as *. Yeah, and who can forget that Stephen Hocking played for Geelong for a decade, is a Geelong legends brother who also was the captain of Geelong, SHocking was the Geelong head of football and now he is the AFL general manager of football operations, of course he helped his old club out with this minor fine.

Pretty it up all you want but Geelong are the latest salary cap cheats. I mean ******* hell, they’re the latest salary cap cheats and Carlton are still living in their heads rent free (Geelong have won 3 flags since Carlton’s last one 25 years ago and Carlton still has their supporters frazzled lol).

Yep, “nothing to see here” is the tried and tested method for the little people of Geelong. A club that always seem to have a ready made excuse for every single discrepancy lol. And thank you for the tweets from the worst AFL journalist going around, he really did manage to pretty it up for Geelong.

It would have been funnier if TAC was still Geelong’s sponsor (thanks for that one Joel Selwood).

images

Last edited:

The Geelong supporter has his head buried in the sand? Nah, not possible lol.

Between Dank and The Weapon being at Geelong for years in their premiership years, Max Rooke winning two premierships when he was on a banned substance (at the time) and should have been suspended rather than free to play so Geelong played an ineligible player and now this $40,000 fine for breaching the salary cap - “accounting error” - they’re dirty as fu**. Yeah, and who can forget that Stephen Hocking played for Geelong for a decade, is a Geelong legends brother who also was the captain of Geelong, SHocking was the Geelong head of football and now he is the AFL general manager of football operations, of course he helped his old club out with this minor fine.

Pretty it up all you want but Geelong are the latest salary cap cheats. I mean ******* hell, they’re the latest salary cap cheats and Carlton are still living in their heads rent free (Geelong have won 3 flags since Carlton’s last one 25 years ago and Carlton still has their supporters frazzled lol).

Yep, “nothing to see here” is the tried and tested method for the little people of Geelong. A club that always seem to have a ready made excuse for every single discrepancy lol. And thank you for the tweets from the worst AFL journalist going around, he really did manage to pretty it up for Geelong.

It would have been funnier if TAC was still Geelong’s sponsor (thanks for that one Joel Selwood).

images
You put too much effort into this.

Stephen Hocking is the worst bit though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't read into it at all tbf, just the post Art posted. Good thing they got Tim Kelly off the books for this season.

Basically the most relevant bit of information is;

Geelong also released a statement to confirm it had accepted the AFL-imposed sanction.

“We made an inadvertent administrative error in our TPP related reporting that has been repeated over eight years,” Cats chief financial officer Simon Kelleher said.

“As soon as we discovered this error, we advised the AFL. The AFL investigated the matter and have passed down the sanction. We accept the penalty and have thoroughly reviewed our processes to ensure full compliance going forward.

Not a whole lot. Just been 10% over the cap by getting basic GST wrong ;)
We should be praised. By self reporting we did the AFL’s job for them.

What on earth does their audit team do haha.

Crozier extends for another 3 years, turned into quite the gun.
Still don’t know why after his (then) career best year at Half Back in 2016 he was moved up forward again in 2017 by Ross, but great to see him kick on at the Doggies, quality half back.

Does this mean that Geelong have technically been over the salary cap for 8 straight years?

Yeah, pretty much. We will probably never get the whole story if it’s more than just an “administration error”.

Unfortunately, the league can’t relegate Victoria’s Gold Coast to the VFL. :(
I'm not arguing for relegation or a fine of the size that saracens received but if Geelong have been in breach for 8 straight years then the punishment doesn't seem adequate to me.

[/QUOTE]
I'm not arguing for relegation or a fine of the size that saracens received but if Geelong have been in breach for 8 straight years then the punishment doesn't seem adequate to me.

Of course a fine that size was never happening but when you cheat for 8 straight years and get a $40k fine, that isn’t even worthy of being called a fine. It is literally the annual wage of a full time Supervisor at McDonalds.

They even want praise for self-reporting to the Geelong person who has one of the highest roles in the league. Someone who’s role at Geelong was “Head of Football”. That is also without mentioning that the coaches brother has a job in the AFL, too. LOL.

Last edited:
It was a calculation of GST error for one set of transactions. Absolutely no suggestion we’ve been over TPP or we’d already be in front of the commission.

Each year clubs get small fines for admin or clerical errors with TPP. Very distinct difference between breaking the salary cap and making errors in reporting. Only the latter has been suggested here.

Of course a fine that size was never happening but when you cheat for 8 straight years and get a $40k fine, that isn’t even worthy of being called a fine. It is literally the annual wage of a full time Supervisor at McDonalds.

They even want praise for self-reporting to the Geelong person who has one of the highest roles in the league. Someone who’s role at Geelong was “Head of Football”. That is also without mentioning that the coaches brother has a job in the AFL, too. LOL.
I Was taking the piss lol.

Nice conspiracy theory too lols.
It is a $5000 fine repeating for making the same minor mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back