The Australian 2nd Division Thread (proposal) Yes/No?

Should Australia have a second Division to the A-League?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Well I guess we are starting the process.

Couldn't find another thread so discussions about the A2 or The Championsship away we go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory, Napoli, Liverpool, Pens
FFA lays foundations for national second division, promotion and relegation
Dominic Bossi

Before any of that can happen, the competition must prove to be financially viable and sustainable but already there are disagreements over costs. The Association of Australian Football Clubs, representing state league teams, believe second division clubs could operate of a yearly budget of $2.5 million per season, more than half the forecast of the Australian players' union, PFA, suggesting minimal annual running costs of $5.4m. The uncertainty over Fox Sports' long-term commitment to Australian football raises further questions over the broadcast of the potential second division which must also buck the trend of second tiers in other codes by attracting considerable commercial partners.

All of those matters are set to be addressed by the steering committee that will oversee the project of establishing the competition, due to report its findings by November this year. That committee was one of the recommendations from the white paper released by the FFA, which is not in itself definitive but aimed at starting formal discussions about the way forward, including potential clubs, timelines, competition format and objectives.
"The development of a blueprint for a national second division which all stakeholders are aligned with is critical to better connect the various levels and pathways throughout the Australian football ecosystem," FFA chairman Chris Nikou said. "There is general consensus between the stakeholders involved in this process, the Association of Australian Football Clubs, Professional Footballers Australia, Member Federations and FFA that a sustainable national second division would be a significant step forward for football."
A second division would enable football to improve player pathways, offer more opportunities for Australian players, increase the footprint of professional footprint while also repair relationships with clubs and communities that may be disengaged with the A-League.
The white paper did not identify preferred markets for clubs but the steering committee will look at including teams from non-major cities as well as potentially reviving failed bids from the recent expansion round, such as Canberra, Wollongong and Tasmania. There is also an expression from former National Soccer League clubs, such as South Melbourne and potential interest from Marconi.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-lays-foundations-for-national-second-division-20190620-p51zpz.html

Sounds exciting in theory but practically I can't see it working economically and commercially.

thoughts?

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory, Napoli, Liverpool, Pens

Well I guess we are starting the process.

Couldn't find another thread so discussions about the A2 or The Championsship away we go.
Yeah good idea to start a new thread on this it's an important process for Australian Football I think we can leave the expansion thread just for the A-league expansion.

I don't like calling it the Championship when the Aleague Chamiopns are called well the Champions you know what I mean.. Also just because its called the Championship in England so we should also call it the Championship?

Maybe A2 league or just NPL league or something.

Last edited:

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah good idea to start a new thread on this it's an important process for Australian Football I think we can leave the expansion thread just for the A-league expansion.

I don't like calling it the Championship when the Aleague Chamiopns are called well the Champions you know what I mean.. Also just because its called the Championship in England so we should also call it the Championship?

Maybe A2 league or just NPL league or something.
Was always a fan of the A2 name for some reason.
NPL also fits.

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
FFA lays foundations for national second division, promotion and relegation
Dominic Bossi

Before any of that can happen, the competition must prove to be financially viable and sustainable but already there are disagreements over costs. The Association of Australian Football Clubs, representing state league teams, believe second division clubs could operate of a yearly budget of $2.5 million per season, more than half the forecast of the Australian players' union, PFA, suggesting minimal annual running costs of $5.4m. The uncertainty over Fox Sports' long-term commitment to Australian football raises further questions over the broadcast of the potential second division which must also buck the trend of second tiers in other codes by attracting considerable commercial partners.

All of those matters are set to be addressed by the steering committee that will oversee the project of establishing the competition, due to report its findings by November this year. That committee was one of the recommendations from the white paper released by the FFA, which is not in itself definitive but aimed at starting formal discussions about the way forward, including potential clubs, timelines, competition format and objectives.
"The development of a blueprint for a national second division which all stakeholders are aligned with is critical to better connect the various levels and pathways throughout the Australian football ecosystem," FFA chairman Chris Nikou said. "There is general consensus between the stakeholders involved in this process, the Association of Australian Football Clubs, Professional Footballers Australia, Member Federations and FFA that a sustainable national second division would be a significant step forward for football."
A second division would enable football to improve player pathways, offer more opportunities for Australian players, increase the footprint of professional footprint while also repair relationships with clubs and communities that may be disengaged with the A-League.
The white paper did not identify preferred markets for clubs but the steering committee will look at including teams from non-major cities as well as potentially reviving failed bids from the recent expansion round, such as Canberra, Wollongong and Tasmania. There is also an expression from former National Soccer League clubs, such as South Melbourne and potential interest from Marconi.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-lays-foundations-for-national-second-division-20190620-p51zpz.html

Sounds exciting in theory but practically I can't see it working economically and commercially.

thoughts?
I think if there's a cap that it will be possible financially.

Baseball, Ice hockey and a lot of other minor sports have national comps with some tweaking on how they are structured and run.

Would hope it wouldn't just be npl clubs but also clubs that are in regions needing a team, your Canberras, Tassie etc

As for tv?

Well a lot depends on the getting indepedence for the A-league, actually think it will grow the game and get us back on an upward spiral.

We have 4 years to turn it around, or, find alternate ways of making money from streaming broadcasting etc.

craigos

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Was always a fan of the A2 name for some reason.
NPL also fits.
The A2 Milk Second Division - You just know the FFA would be all over that.
I think we need a full season of the youth league before we start with a second division. Can that work using an U23 style set up like the Premier League that allows a few over age players? I'm not sure.

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The A2 Milk Second Division - You just know the FFA would be all over that.
I think we need a full season of the youth league before we start with a second division. Can that work using an U23 style set up like the Premier League that allows a few over age players? I'm not sure.
Haha if it works it works.

At least there's discussion and with enough football people involved it may work.

A full youth comp would be great but I think that also depends on independence.

burge13

Team Captain
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I can't imagine every aleague side is profiting without FFA help currently; how are 2nd division sides supposed to travel around the country?

TV deal in the aleague is weak and fox apparently want out of it so where will the $ come from for this?

Crowd numbers on the decline in the top flight and now we expect people to watch Metrostars v Blacktown in a 2nd division?

A2 sound great in theory but there just isn't the money, nor interest to do it here. Logistical nightmare for smaller clubs to travel around the country, will need 2nd jobs as well as training. Never going to work in practice but I really do hope I'm wrong

Galaxie77

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lucchese Libertas, Spezia Calcio.
Great , hopefully the old NSL teams will be admitted, so we can have some real football culture back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom