The AXE vs Adelaide - IN: Bennell, Tomlinson, AVB, ANB. OUT: Hannan, TMac, OMac, Pickett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett a 3rd round talent? Jackson soft? FMD can we just punt this campaigner from the board TheCount ? Literally hasn't said a positive thing about the club since he started posting.
Lol, had the same issues with him 10 years ago. He just likes to lob a grenade into the middle of the discussion and see what happens.

It's a ticking time bomb but Essendon supporters were worried. Adelaide have been ok recently were in it against the saints just didn't know how to win same with Essendon. They're getting closer. We can only hope they come out flat with a shorter break.
Essendon lol. They are Shite.

They’ve beaten bottom 4 sides Adelaide by 3, Fremantle and Sydney by 6, North by 14. The highest ranked side they’ve played are the 8th place Bulldogs who belted them by 42. Now Brisbane are touching them up.

We’ve lost to the current top 4 ( two of them by less than a goal) and 6th place Eagles. We are yet to play any of the bottom 4 sides.

We won’t lose to Adelaide.

Essendon lol. They are sh*te.

They’ve beaten bottom 4 sides Adelaide by 3, Fremantle and Sydney by 6, North by 14. The highest ranked side they’ve played are the 8th place Bulldogs who belted them by 42. Now Brisbane are touching them up.

We’ve lost to the current top 4 ( two of them by less than a goal) and 6th place Eagles. We are yet to play any of the bottom 4 sides.

We won’t lose to Adelaide.
Yeah I expect it’ll play out like the Hawthorn game, especially given Adelaide will be coming off a four day break compared to our six days. It just doesn’t really matter though, we could beat them by 100 points but we don’t look likely against any of the really good sides. Even against Brisbane and Geelong you never really get the sense that they were worried they’d lose to us, no matter the margins. Reckon this season will just be a discount version of 2018 - low scores against top sides who we never really look like threatening, a few smashings of the bottom sides but we won’t lose to any of them (except for one disaster like the St Kilda loss that year, but they were much better than Adelaide are now - Sydney or Freo will scalp us), a more dysfunctional forward line and no finals. At least in 2017 we threatened the top sides while not making finals and just dropped games against s**t sides. This will be the inverse of that. Even if we finish 8th by some miracle we’ll lose.

Yeah I expect it’ll play out like the Hawthorn game, especially given Adelaide will be coming off a four day break compared to our six days. It just doesn’t really matter though, we could beat them by 100 points but we don’t look likely against any of the really good sides. Even against Brisbane and Geelong you never really get the sense that they were worried they’d lose to us, no matter the margins. Reckon this season will just be a discount version of 2018 - low scores against top sides who we never really look like threatening, a few smashings of the bottom sides but we won’t lose to any of them (except for one disaster like the St Kilda loss that year, but they were much better than Adelaide are now - Sydney or Freo will scalp us), a more dysfunctional forward line and no finals. At least in 2017 we threatened the top sides while not making finals and just dropped games against sh*t sides. This will be the inverse of that. Even if we finish 8th by some miracle we’ll lose.
Yep, had we beaten Brisbane I was already prepping to go over to their board and say we didn't deserve to win. They were clearly always a step infront of us

Yep, had we beaten Brisbane I was already prepping to go over to their board and say we didn't deserve to win. They were clearly always a step infront of us
Would have been an accidental win. Same with Geelong. We threatened Richmond more IMO

Would have been an accidental win. Same with Geelong. We threatened Richmond more IMO
Richmond games always go the same, they pretend we are in it for 3 qtrs always kicking goals when they need too. Before actually trying in the last and finishing us.

Yeah I expect it’ll play out like the Hawthorn game, especially given Adelaide will be coming off a four day break compared to our six days. It just doesn’t really matter though, we could beat them by 100 points but we don’t look likely against any of the really good sides. Even against Brisbane and Geelong you never really get the sense that they were worried they’d lose to us, no matter the margins. Reckon this season will just be a discount version of 2018 - low scores against top sides who we never really look like threatening, a few smashings of the bottom sides but we won’t lose to any of them (except for one disaster like the St Kilda loss that year, but they were much better than Adelaide are now - Sydney or Freo will scalp us), a more dysfunctional forward line and no finals. At least in 2017 we threatened the top sides while not making finals and just dropped games against sh*t sides. This will be the inverse of that. Even if we finish 8th by some miracle we’ll lose.
I agree we are still on 2018 level and this season is similar. I said after the 2018 season not to get ahead of ourselves, our list is built to open our window from 2021 onwards, and I still believe that. I said our 2017-20 will be like Richmonds 2013-16.

Geelong were worried against us, they chipped the ball around all game denying us of playing our brand as they know when we are on top of our brand they’ll struggle against us. We still nearly beat them.

People honestly believe we'll beat the Crows?? Delusional. Nothing surer than a Crows win. I made some $$ on the Port game. Going to double up on this one as the odds should be juicy..

Goodwin said after the game to give 3 tall forwards a chance with good delivery... The entries were bad but we constantly had Weid, Jackson, Tmac and even Fritsch leading for the same ball and spoiling. Zero front and centres, which is understandable with one proper small forward and a medium who plays small.

2 weeks ago we had a balanced team and they ruined it. Drop Harmes, Jones, Brayshaw or Sparrow for proper role players.

I don't think I have seen a team as poorly structured as last night. Its like they are misunderstanding the game plan somehow, because to have so many so close in contests there has to be some direction to do it. Under 13's teams are literaly better structured with less players around the ball. TAC cup. The bottom teams in the VFL. All better structured. I've never seen such a stupid amount of players sucked into the contest in any league. It's unnatural and idiotic. No space for anyone to get it out to once they win it. Our one chain of handballs from the back 50 that was our best play resembled a rugby try they were so close to each other flinging sideways handballs that were lucky not to be picked off.

Gameplan is aids, but not picking all inside mids should stop the crowding you would think.

In: Jetta, Bennell, Vandenburg, Tomlinson
Out: Sparrow, Jackson, Jones, 1 of Brayshaw/Harmes/Viney

4 inside mids rotating (trac, oliver, 2 of brayshaw/harmes/viney)
3 outside mids (Landon, Tomlinson, Vanders)

One big thing I've noticed is that at stoppages none of our mids block for each other. We don't get any advantage for Gawn's dominance because he's always hitting it to a bloke with a defender hanging off him. If the forwards could learn to block for each other, that would be handy as well. Midfield and Forward coaches must be gone end of year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not keen on dropping Sparrow at all unless a player looks totally not ready for this level of competition he needs to play at least another 2 games.
- He is out of contract at the end of 2020 and the team lost a year on him due to injury (picked up in 2018). If they are making decisions about him staying on the list then he has to play.

I don't think he did anything wrong besides be another inside mid. They need to try Sparrow in a different role if that does not work. If he can't show something in another 2 games then he needs to be dropped.

Some of those midfield spots need selection pressure to be applied and that is not going to happen with the same old crew being there every round and under performing with no consequences (note I think Viney has made big changes to his disposal choices).

Note that North dropped Polec and Brown this round.

Seeing the scores the last few days has only convinced me more that Thursday night was an aberration due to a number of factors involved. Every team during this Covid season is going to have games where they are flat as a tack. Thought so at the time during the game and I think so now.

I certainly didn't a see a huge lack of effort, though I did see a lack of belief after the first quarter once it became clear our I50s weren't working and theirs were.

We obviously have more to prove than sides like the Dogs who got belted on Wednesday, but I think we'll come out against the Crows and win well. Not in a Baileyball 1-up 1-down sense, more in a 'we're heading in the right direction and will have a few blips' sense. We're nowhere near as good as 2017-18 just yet, but we have to build back up to that.

I even thought Goodwin looked more dynamic. Sitting on the bench at half time was a proactive move that you very rarely see from him. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's the right guy, but it heartens me to see him trying something different.

I wish we could bring Frost in for O Mac.
Frosty has been ******* terrible for weeks and OMac was playing well. Roles reversed this week. Great. Who'd have thought that the flawed defender in a winning team would look better than the flawed defender in a losing team :drunk:

Our match up against Collingwood has them coming off a four day break after going from Perth to Brisbane to Adelaide and back to Brisbane, while we’re just off a six day break. If we win that we might be able to pass off Thursday as an aberration, but pressure is on until then.

Frosty has been ******* terrible for weeks and OMac was playing well. Roles reversed this week. Great. Who'd have thought that the flawed defender in a winning team would look better than the flawed defender in a losing team :drunk:
This is so far wrong regarding Frost. I've watched all of Hawthorn games and he'd be in their top 5 best and fairest.
Watch the game against us where he took 6 intercept marks.

Oscar got torched by a 3rd gamer and paid absolutely no respect to Georgiadas on the night. It was embarrassing to watch.

I'd easily have Frost back in a heartbeat if it meant that Oscar would never have to pull on the jump ever again.

Our match up against Collingwood has them coming off a four day break after going from Perth to Brisbane to Adelaide and back to Brisbane, while we’re just off a six day break. If we win that we might be able to pass off Thursday as an aberration, but pressure is on until then.
100%, this season has no rhythm so it's hard to tell. 4 games so far this round and 4 spectacular losses.

From what I have read hawks fans love the bloke genuine top 10 in their bnf.

Pretty much this. If we consider ourselves any sort of chance of playing finals, the next 2 weeks absolutely have to be wins. The game against the Pies should also be one that we should be right in the running to win, given the break differential.

If we s**t the bed again any time in the next 3 weeks, then the knives will be out (or, given they're probably already out, they won't be getting put away)

Pretty much this. If we consider ourselves any sort of chance of playing finals, the next 2 weeks absolutely have to be wins. The game against the Pies should also be one that we should be right in the running to win, given the break differential.

If we sh*t the bed again any time in the next 3 weeks, then the knives will be out (or, given they're probably already out, they won't be getting put away)
All of our losses have been to the top five sides in the comp. It’s like 2018 - we’re very clearly not going to win the flag because our best is well below the best of the serious contenders, but if we beat the rest of the average to s**t teams like Carlton, GC and Hawthorn just by smashing them in the midfield (which doesn’t work against good sides) we’ll make finals as long as we eventually take a scalp and that Collingwood game is an absolute must win. Problem is at this stage that we’ve put ourselves under massive pressure by losing to Brisbane and Geelong because every match will be fraught with tension, unlike 2018 where we had a very soft first 11 weeks and went into our Round 12 game against Collingwood at 8-3 on a six game winning streak without beating anyone good. This time we’ll be 5-5 at best. And we’re not mentally tough enough to win week after week on a 3-5 record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back